News covers Edina vs Blaine semi final brawl

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

green4

News covers Edina vs Blaine semi final brawl

Post by green4 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:33 pm

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/21 ... g.facebook

Here is the link to what the news covered after a tough game

interesting concept of using replay to suspend players, not sure how i feel about it but i think they did a decent job with the matter.

That being said they show a clip of edina kids sitting out on the side and not all those kids were on the team some just fans.

Also i don't understand who this commissioner is trying to fool, junior gold is an exciting league but there are fights in it and they will never stop that and with him saying this has not happened in years is a straight lie especially when these teams had a fight earlier in the year and then the news provided evidence that there was another fight/brawl the next day with woodbury and tartan in the JGB level. The chances of this never happening in year then having back to back fights seems unlikely.

Defensive Zone

Re: News covers Edina vs Blaine semi final brawl

Post by Defensive Zone » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:48 am

green4 wrote:http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/21 ... g.facebook

interesting concept of using replay to suspend players, not sure how i feel about it but i think they did a decent job with the matter.

That being said they show a clip of edina kids sitting out on the side and not all those kids were on the team some just fans.

Also i don't understand who this commissioner is trying to fool, junior gold is an exciting league but there are fights in it and they will never stop that and with him saying this has not happened in years is a straight lie especially when these teams had a fight earlier in the year and then the news provided evidence that there was another fight/brawl the next day with woodbury and tartan in the JGB level. The chances of this never happening in year then having back to back fights seems unlikely.
Like I said in another thread...For accuracy purposes, I do not have a problem for a ref (league) using a video for an incident of this magnitude (a brawl). I would think all parties involved would want some sort of clarity, rather than a guesstimate on any infraction(s) that might have occurred. As for the 10 players that were suspended or even the 20 smart players who were not, they all knew that fighting is an automatic 3 game suspension. Also, to add more salt to the wound, my guess, some of these 10 suspended players are on the roster for the Jr. Gold A Select Game to be held this Wednesday Night…or maybe they won’t be? :oops:

green4

Post by green4 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Defensive Zone wrote:

Like I said in another thread...For accuracy purposes, I do not have a problem for a ref (league) using a video for an incident of this magnitude (a brawl). I would think all parties involved would want some sort of clarity, rather than a guesstimate on any infraction(s) that might have occurred. As for the 10 players that were suspended or even the 20 smart players who were not, they all knew that fighting is an automatic 3 game suspension. Also, to add more salt to the wound, my guess, some of these 10 suspended players are on the roster for the Jr. Gold A Select Game to be held this Wednesday Night…or maybe they won’t be? :oops:
Yes i think they knew they would get suspended for 3 games but for the blaine kids there is a much smaller punishment than the Edina kids. As the game ends edina comes out to celebrate when then a fight starts and then the blaine team jumps the bench. Lots of them just trying to get frustrations out and grabbing kids who were trying to stop and help the situation. Which is why I like the idea of using the tape but that they handled it wrong. There was 2 edina kids suspended who were just trying to get there own players off the Blaine boys and i also heard that some blaine kids got suspended who did not participate in the fight. Its a tricky situation because at the end of seasons like this for one team you see some dirty plays and fights breakout and for edina what can they do? you can stay out of it but if a blaine guy jumps the bench and starts pounding on you, you can't just lay there i feel like.

mn_hcky

Post by mn_hcky » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:23 am

green4 wrote:
Defensive Zone wrote:

Yes i think they knew they would get suspended for 3 games but for the blaine kids there is a much smaller punishment than the Edina kids. As the game ends edina comes out to celebrate when then a fight starts and then the blaine team jumps the bench. Lots of them just trying to get frustrations out and grabbing kids who were trying to stop and help the situation. Which is why I like the idea of using the tape but that they handled it wrong. There was 2 edina kids suspended who were just trying to get there own players off the Blaine boys and i also heard that some blaine kids got suspended who did not participate in the fight. Its a tricky situation because at the end of seasons like this for one team you see some dirty plays and fights breakout and for edina what can they do? you can stay out of it but if a blaine guy jumps the bench and starts pounding on you, you can't just lay there i feel like.

I watched this game and reading these posts, I decided that I needed to put my 2 cents in. First off, this was probably one of the best played hockey games that I watched all year. But a better ending would of left a better taste. When a bench clearing brawl happens, it is hard for the referee to record all of the numbers correctly. With so much going on and the numbers not easily recognizable on the ice, it is difficult. It stated in the news report that the 3rd party video was used for verification. So in my mind this means that they used the video to verify the numbers that the referee recorded on the ice. No where did it say that they added people to the suspensions based on the video. If anything they took people off of the referee's list that weren't participating.

I find the officials more crediable in this situation than listening to a couple of the players say they didn't throw any punches (or the parents for that matter). As for you saying that you just can't lay there, I do agree but there are consequences. No where in the rule book does it say that someone gets let off the hook for defending themselves.

blueblood

blaine vs. edina

Post by blueblood » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:34 pm

don't do the crime if you can't do the time...