Congrats Minnetonka -- 5 players selected for Under 18 National Team

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Cookster

Re: Congrats Minnetonka -- 5 players selected for Under 18 National Team

Post by Cookster » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:15 am

If we are talking about padding stats, then watch out next Thursday. Chanhassen plays host to Tonka. Chanhassen has been outscored 32-2 in 5 games and in last nights game Eden Prairie did not bother to shoot the puck in the 3rd period. If Tonka decides to, this could be a 20+ - 0 game. Add in the 1-2 assists, well...

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:20 am

j4241 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:00 pm
I've heard the word "dirty" thrown around recently as a result of physical plays, but a Tonka player (I'm not going to name names) made one of the dirtiest plays I think I've ever seen in a high school game with 20 seconds left in the third - blind side elbow to the head well away from the puck at full speed. That is a 5+ game suspension in the NHL. Honestly, that's a play that should give a college coach pause and make them re-evaluate. Absolutely no place in the high school game for that.
Too bad that coaches can go back, days later, and video review every bleeping assist (truthfully, who cares), but they cannot go back and review this? What comes around will go around at some point. Maybe the Tonka coach should have a talk with their players about dirty play before they become targets themselves?

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:07 pm

Just saw the replay and you're right, #14 from Minnetonka with the extremely dirty hit there. And that was shortly after she took the penalty which was also dirty that gave Andover the power play game winner. No place in hockey for that garbage. Just absolutely brutal.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:17 pm

I hear we are on the same side, but those two hits are very different. The penalty was cheap and stupid - lost them the game - but it was within the scope of being a hockey play. Late, high, stick was up, and an unnecessary hit, but it was at least to a recent puck carrier. (Not to mention the penalty after the whistle at the end of the game.)

The one I mentioned was - for lack of a better descriptor - hard not to see as an assault. That wasn’t a hockey play, clearly avoidable if not obviously deliberate, and no purpose other than to injure an opponent. If someone told me the family was considering pressing charges, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:54 am

Wow, I watched the replay of the end of the game and you're not kidding, that was a bush league play. How both referees missed it is inexcusable. The puck was 30 feet away, Sauer was simply defending her area and 14 comes off the bench for the extra attacker and just steamrolls Sauer with an elbow. Charging, elbowing, interference, roughing, whatever you want to call it, she should have received a match penalty. Just a dumb, dirty play at any point in a hockey game, but with 25 seconds left in a one-goal game shows this team has a real lack of composure. Reminds me of 7's penalty late in the championship last year. Then 14 gets a dumb penalty 10 seconds later after the whistle, all this after her penalty that led to the game winning power play goal. I highly doubt anything will come of this, I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches praise her while watching the film.

I really hope Sauer is okay.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:16 am

I really hope Nora is OK too. And if Erich Martens and the folks at the MSHSL have any backbone #14 for Minnetonka will be suspended.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:48 am

Eagles93 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:54 am
I highly doubt anything will come of this, I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches praise her while watching the film.
Sadly, you may be right on this. I can't tell you how many times I've heard conversations such as "she's not as skilled as Sally, but she's so mean and I love that in a player" or something similar.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:41 am

This may be a gut check moment for the MSHSL. The goal is healthy competition to help raise well functioning adults through the lessons of sports. The MSHSL rigorously enforces two weeks bans (and on up) for things 75+% of high school students do, and all adults are free to do. This is an act that no child should do, that any good parent would be deeply concerned about their kid's behavior and choices if they did it, and something that is never legal in any setting. This event is also squarely in the domain of concussion prevention, something that has already caused some very high profile players in Minnesota to miss games, and posters on this board generally take quite seriously. An unbraced, rotational impact to the skull like this can be fatal - unlikely, but a very real possibility. A (non-Minnesotan) Penn State commit lost a college scholarship last year because of a hit that, candidly, was less dirty than this one. Hard to imagine they (or Tonka, who should also have the same concerns, or the Gophers, or USA Hockey) would do nothing, but maybe I'm naive.

Cookster

Post by Cookster » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:17 pm

I just watched that play. #14 comes off the bench for the goalie, and she heads into the zone and cheapshots the Huskies player. No call by either ref.

Then on the tie up goes after another player on the Huskies. There is no place in Minnesota Hockey for this. MSHSL, please do your due diligence and remove said player for a Minimum of 2 weeks, should be at least a month.

If the US Team had any guts they would kick her off the U18 team.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:55 am

Let's see if she's on the ice today.

Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:06 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:55 am
Listed as having played on the hub, but no points or penalties. Maybe she sat. Or maybe they really punished her and made her skate an extra lap at practice.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:10 am

Eagles93 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:06 pm
InThePipes wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:55 am
Listed as having played on the hub, but no points or penalties. Maybe she sat. Or maybe they really punished her and made her skate an extra lap at practice.
Looked to be dressed, did not see her play.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:35 am

I didn't see yesterday's game, but understand both 14 and 7 dressed but did not play. 7's offense, I assume from watching the game vs Andover, was the selfishness around taking a penalty as part of her celebration of a goal. A one game suspension by her team doesn't seem crazy for that. But if that's the case, and 14's punishment is the same, I have to imagine the lens the Cassano's are seeing this through is around punishing 14 for a dumb penalty taken with a minute-plus left that resulted in the Andover's game winning power play goal. This is a bit of speculation, but if I'm right about the why the Cassano's applied for both of them sitting, that means they were both punished for an act that took something away from their team - reduced their chance to win - but had nothing to do with the assault on an opponent.

If 14 receives no further team discipline (or consequence from the Gophers or USA Hockey), the message the Cassano's (and Brad Frost/Natalie Darwitz and Katie Million) are sending is that 14 did nothing wrong by throwing an elbow into the back of Sauer's head when she wasn't looking 50 feet away from the puck. If that's the case, shame on Tonka, shame on the Cassano's, and shame on the rest. I am a much bigger fan of restorative justice than retributive - I don't think ruining 14's life should be anyone's goal. She's a kid, and the adults around her are the ones responsible for helping her find and follow a path of atonement. Maybe there's more happening behind the scenes than I'm aware. I sure hope so. But if the adults around her are letting this just blow over - and by that I mean the entire community of adults part of this - they are complicit in the injury to Sauer, and are enabling whatever comes next from this player that has proven total disregard for her opponent's health. Is the pursuit of this one goal with such total recklessness - winning one hockey game in late February - really worth compromising your values to this degree, or are your values just that unmoored?

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:25 am

That is the best post I've ever read on this board. You are 100% on point.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:48 am

j4241 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:35 am
I didn't see yesterday's game, but understand both 14 and 7 dressed but did not play. 7's offense, I assume from watching the game vs Andover, was the selfishness around taking a penalty as part of her celebration of a goal. A one game suspension by her team doesn't seem crazy for that. But if that's the case, and 14's punishment is the same, I have to imagine the lens the Cassano's are seeing this through is around punishing 14 for a dumb penalty taken with a minute-plus left that resulted in the Andover's game winning power play goal. This is a bit of speculation, but if I'm right about the why the Cassano's applied for both of them sitting, that means they were both punished for an act that took something away from their team - reduced their chance to win - but had nothing to do with the assault on an opponent.
Huh.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:18 am

Here's an interesting one to watch from last night. Warroad at Bemidji. The game finished 7-0. Here's the boxscore:

https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/game/s ... er=7528749

As of 8:00am on Wednesday, we've got the box score as reported by the refs and put into the computer by Bemidji. Warroad has 7 goals and 13 assists. 3 of these goals have no assists attached to them.

This is, of course, rare for Warroad. A quick read of the boxscores indicate the team has had only ONE unassisted goal in its other 5 games. Amazingly, for example, Warroad had at least one assist on each of its 18 goals against EGF, meaning NOT once in 51 minutes of play did an EGF player make an errant pass that led to a Warroad interception and breakaway goal.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:00 am

jg2112 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:18 am
Here's an interesting one to watch from last night. Warroad at Bemidji. The game finished 7-0. Here's the boxscore:

As of 8:00am on Wednesday, we've got the box score as reported by the refs and put into the computer by Bemidji. Warroad has 7 goals and 13 assists. 3 of these goals have no assists attached to them.

This is, of course, rare for Warroad. A quick read of the boxscores indicate the team has had only ONE unassisted goal in its other 5 games. Amazingly, for example, Warroad had at least one assist on each of its 18 goals against EGF, meaning NOT once in 51 minutes of play did an EGF player make an errant pass that led to a Warroad interception and breakaway goal.
Quick Correction... I think you meant 7 goals and 6 assists for 13 points... not 13 assists.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (67.99 KiB) Viewed 4363 times

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:12 pm

Lace'emUp wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:00 am
jg2112 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:18 am

Quick Correction... I think you meant 7 goals and 6 assists for 13 points... not 13 assists.
Yes, you are correct. This morning it was 7 goals and 6 assists.

As of this evening, the Hub has been changed to 7 goals and 10 assists for Warroad.

Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:19 am

This game was on Livebarn so I went through all seven goals. They got all seven goals correct, except for the last goal should've been 16 from 13 from 23, not 55. I'm not saying you're wrong though, they do seem to have almost every goal with two assists which we know doesn't happen all the time.

Here's the last goal:
Livebarn

Pretty cool, Bemidji has on-ice cheerleaders, I didn't know any schools did that anymore.

Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:53 pm

Both 7 and 14 back in the lineup tonight for Tonka, outshooting Chaska/Chan 55-3. Not much of a punishment for throwing a violent, cheap-shot elbow at another player for 14.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:03 am

I think #7 back in the lineup makes sense. As for #14, I think Tracy Cassano and AD Ted Schultz need to take a good hard look at what kind of message they are sending by allowing this behavior with minimal consequences.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:09 am

I don't like treating the two the same - 14's was very different. I would hope there are at least some members of the Tonka community able to recognize how shameful it is to try to let this just blow over. Is it unfair to say she intentionally caused a traumatic brain injury to an opponent? Tonka parents - imagine if that were your kid - potentially dealing with lifelong consequences (disclaimer: I know nothing about Sauer's health, just stating the obvious possibility). And the Tonka coaches think one game handles it. Maybe there is a lot happening behind the scenes by the Gophers, USA Hockey, the parents (I know I'd expect a lot more than this of my kid). But the Tonka coaches/leadership made their choice public - one game. The path to redemption for this kid is going to be a much longer journey than that - I hope she finds it on her own. The adults around her don't seem willing to help.

Lake South Alum

Post by Lake South Alum » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:13 pm

Is the video from the entire Minnetonka/Andover game still available anywhere?

j4241

Post by j4241 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:16 pm

Not sure. Broadcast on BSN, so it may be buried in their on demand section.

Back to the original title of this thread, I hope Canada isn't much better than Moorhead.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:09 am

j4241 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:16 pm
Not sure. Broadcast on BSN, so it may be buried in their on demand section.

Back to the original title of this thread, I hope Canada isn't much better than Moorhead.
Yeah, this thread has definitely been hijacked :D