State Game Updates

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

After one period, Stillwater 1, Bemidji 0.

Shots 9-5 in favor of Stillwater.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Stillwater scores two quick ones on the power play, goes up 3-0 early in the 2nd period.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

After two periods, Stillwater still up 3-0. Shots are 24-12, and Stillwater is controlling play for the most part.
jmpfan2008

Post by jmpfan2008 »

Breck- 5
Alexandria-4

"Barton from Breck scores GTG with less than 2 min to play and then scores GWG with less than 30 seconds left in OT #1 I believe."

that is right, Barton scored with about a minute to play in regulation to tie it up, and then scored again with 8.4 seconds left in OT... also, a quick congrats to the breck fans today, despite being in the consolation bracket, you guys came out with numbers and spirit today, good job!
A great game with great fans
UWhockey88

Post by UWhockey88 »

NightRider wrote:bumpy start to the state tourny for boblee's girls.
I heard this morning on the local news that it was the first day of the thunderstorm season in Minnesota. Didn't hear or see any lightening-did you?
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

BSM 2 GRG 0 FINAL
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Final:

Stillwater 3, Bemidji 1
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

Roseville set a state tournament record with 48 shots in their 6-2 win over Mayo. Non top-5 Ms Hockey candidate Erin Cody had 4 goals and an assist (on 11 shots--Mayo had 10 shots total).
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Bensonmum wrote:Roseville set a state tournament record with 48 shots in their 6-2 win over Mayo. Non top-5 Ms Hockey candidate Erin Cody had 4 goals and an assist (on 11 shots--Mayo had 10 shots total).
Of the four AA games yesterday I thought this one was the easiest to predict who was going to win.

I'm not so sure about their semifinal with Stillwater - what do you think Bensonmum?
nikebauer_07

Post by nikebauer_07 »

is that state record for shots only for the girls aa tournament? because i believe hibbing had 51 shots on goal wednesday..
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

Hopefully we'll get a replay of their first meeting of the year (a frantic back and forth 5-5 tie). Cody didn't play in their 2nd meeting (serving a game suspension for the 'brawl vs. Cretin).
I picked Stillwater in the pool, but now I get the feeling that Erin Cody will make sure Roseville takes care of business (last night is a reminder). She deserves her own thread on this forum. There may be better offensive players in the state (I just haven't seen one) or better two-way players (haven't seen one) or tougher kids (haven't seen one of those either) but there definitely isn't a better leader on the ice. Late in the season, Cretin's players were charging the Roseville goalie towards the end of Roseville's blowout win, and Cody steps in and takes care of the situation, earning a game suspension but sending a message loud and clear. Against Hastings in the section final, she gets pummeled in front of the net the whole game and keeps going back for more because Roseville needs her to. Her value as a player goes way beyond her skill and speed. One thing you may not realize is that Roseville has a very young team--if not for Cody this would be a rebuilding year, although with the speed and talent of the younger players you'd call it reloading.
One thing for sure is that it will be one of the fastest games of the year and for sure the fastest of the tournament (speed on the ice, not time elapsed). Hold onto your hats and have fun.
pondhockey

Re: Hibbing goal in OT

Post by pondhockey »

GopherFanARM wrote:I'm trying to understand the Hibbing goal from the boxscore. At 7:36 of OT, Alex gets a penalty, their first of the day. At 7:37 Hibbing scores a goal with 2 assists. Either something isn't quite right in that boxscore, or that is one efficient PP.

Also, the Alex goalie had 50 stops. Was she playing out of this world, or does Hibbing not have quite the finishers that they did in the Nichols/Hagen days? Thanks for any info that folks can provide.
I was at the Excel for all four games Wednesday. The penalty was against Alex's strongest defense player Holmes. It was a very physical game played by Hibbing. I'm not familiar with the Nichols/Hagen days, but the Alex goalie, Justice, had a phenomenal game and I've heard that echoed many times by other coaches and the media.

Because you asked for details GopherFanARM, I'm going to paste in an email I received from an Alex fan who is a retired professional and who has never had any one related to him on the team. He just enjoys watching girls hockey, so this is his perspective and opinion from his seat on what he saw:

What a great season!! It came to end this morning in Ridder Arena on the campus of the University of Minnesota - a 5 - 4 OT (yes, another overtime) loss to Breck. Just like last year (we played eventual champion So. St. Paul in the 1st round), we drew a very difficult bracket - Hibbing/Chisholm in the first round was a match of the 2 and 3 ranked teams in the state - a toss-up. And then today, we drew Breck, which lost in the 1st round to No. 1-ranked Blake and had only two losses all year other than those to Blake! As the cub reporter-in-training is apt to point out, Breck is a big-city private school that plays a big-school schedule.

Nevertheless, in this unbiased reporter's humble opinion, there were extenuating circumstances in the loss to Hibbing/Chisholm on the first day, and to Breck today. It was confirmed today that the ice at the Xcel Center yesterday was mushy as the temperature was way too warm - the players said they were overheating! This did not favor our Cards as even the Star Tribune reported that Hibbing "used physical play to slow the speedy Cardinals." Voice of the Cardinals, Dave Harris, further confirmed today that the Hibbing game plan was to take a penalty anytime Abby Williams or Kathryn Del Zoppo, the highest scoring duo in the state, appeared to be in position to make a play. To their credit, the strategy worked.

Breck came out today obviously determined to deploy that same strategy. After the Cards finally opened scoring in the 2nd period, Blake came back with three straight goals to take a 3 - 1 lead. The last two goals came on a 5-on-3 power play - "Road Block" Justice had no chance to repel the first goal; but we all thought that Breck had a least one player in the crease on the second power play goal (and thus it should have been disallowed). The Cardinals stormed back to take a 4 - 3 lead late into the final period. It was here that the constant pummeling of Abby and Del became noteworthy (they looked like snowmen from having hit the ice so often) - at one point a Breck player skated by Abby, who was standing still, and blatantly flipped her, right in front of an official who called nothing. (Abby was also pushed head first into the net after the whistle had blown - at least a penalty was called, but it was a dangerous move.) Del was smashed into the boards on a potential breakaway and was momentarily dazed - what should have been a 5-minute major penalty was only charged as a minor penalty. Ultimately, we fans became most upset when with a little over 2 minutes left in the game, Ashley Holmes was blatantly tripped bringing the puck out of her own end, no call - Abby picked up the puck in center ice and was tackled, no call - Breck then picked up the puck and with a mass charge into the net, knocking it off its post, scored the tying goal - the Cards vigorously protested to no avail. The game was now a 4 - 4 tie and headed into overtime. Despite the constant physical attacks upon their persons, Abby and Del, in marvelous displays of perseverance, each had two of our four goals. Then, just as the day before, with but 8 seconds left in overtime, a Breck player took a shot that somehow managed to find its way through about 10 players and into the net - we're sure there's no way Danielle could have seen that shot. So Breck won - and congratulations to them.

We have to realize what a great season it was - really, just a couple of bounces away from a perfect record. They only had four losses - all by one goal, with three in the last seconds of overtimes. So many congratulations to our Cards - we're already looking forward to next year!!
(end of email).
Puck Bag

Post by Puck Bag »

Nevertheless, in this unbiased reporter's humble opinion, there were extenuating circumstances in the loss to Hibbing/Chisholm on the first day, and to Breck today. It was confirmed today that the ice at the Xcel Center yesterday was mushy as the temperature was way too warm - the players said they were overheating!

I'm sorry but didn't both teams play on the same rink? Also, Breck Arena (and I'm not a Breck fan or parent/player) is very cold so it's not like they were any more or less conditioned for the warmth of the X.

Soft ice can slow a speedy team but my guess is the ice was he same for Stillwater and Roseville and from today's newspaper accounts and from what my daughter told me, it didn't look like it slowed them down.

None the less - Alex did have a great season. They should be proud.
Puck Penguin

Post by Puck Penguin »

Alex likes to use the ice as an excuse for any close game. :lol:
pondhockey

Post by pondhockey »

Puck Bag wrote:
Nevertheless, in this unbiased reporter's humble opinion, there were extenuating circumstances in the loss to Hibbing/Chisholm on the first day, and to Breck today. It was confirmed today that the ice at the Xcel Center yesterday was mushy as the temperature was way too warm - the players said they were overheating!

I'm sorry but didn't both teams play on the same rink? Also, Breck Arena (and I'm not a Breck fan or parent/player) is very cold so it's not like they were any more or less conditioned for the warmth of the X.

Soft ice can slow a speedy team but my guess is the ice was he same for Stillwater and Roseville and from today's newspaper accounts and from what my daughter told me, it didn't look like it slowed them down.

None the less - Alex did have a great season. They should be proud.
No need to apologize as you are right. Both teams played on the same rink with the same conditions, I have no argument with you on that; and I'm sure my correspondant would agree as well.

Congratulations to Blake, as I see they just won 4 - 1 over Hibbing.
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

Burnsville 3 GRG 2 2OTS FINAL
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Bemidji 1
Mayo 0
After 1st period.
SOG B 11 Mayo 2
nikebauer_07

Post by nikebauer_07 »

congrats to the hibbing girls team for not backing down when the game got out of reach.. they played their hearts out and hopefully they can bring home the third place trophy!
Carom Karma

Post by Carom Karma »

nikebauer_07 wrote:congrats to the hibbing girls team for not backing down when the game got out of reach.. they played their hearts out and hopefully they can bring home the third place trophy!
Couldn't agree with you more! Those girls have played their hearts out all season long, and I am sure they really feel the anxiety of coming so close to the title game. They shouldn't hang their heads though because they have had a remarkable season. One that isn't over yet. Hopefully they can take home the third place hardware this year. :)
Minnesota hockey, the sport of 10,000 memories.
GivinYaTheBusiness

Post by GivinYaTheBusiness »

Well Bob, our girls didn't get it done, but I'm definitely impressed with them. Congrats on a great season Lightning, see them at the X next year?!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Any updates on Bemidji-Mayo or Crookston-Farmington?
pondhockey

Post by pondhockey »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Any updates on Bemidji-Mayo or Crookston-Farmington?
Crookston 1 - Farmington 3 end of second period
GivinYaTheBusiness

Bemidji 2
Mayo 3

Final.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

GivinYaTheBusiness wrote:
Bemidji 2
Mayo 3

Final.
This one is definitely a surprise, for me at least. And even more of a surprise is that BOTH AA Northern teams went two and out. Plus in Class A Alex did too, and Crookston seems to be on the verge of losing their second game.

I'm sure this isn't indictative of the quality of girls hockey being played north of the Twin Cities, but how do you explain all this?
GivinYaTheBusiness

MNHockeyFan wrote:
GivinYaTheBusiness wrote:
Bemidji 2
Mayo 3

Final.
This one is definitely a surprise, for me at least. And even more of a surprise is that BOTH AA Northern teams went two and out. Plus in Class A Alex did too, and Crookston seems to be on the verge of losing their second game.

I'm sure this isn't indictative of the quality of girls hockey being played north of the Twin Cities, but how do you explain all this?
Crookston hasn't lost one yet!