Ms. Hockey 2008

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ghshockeyfan

Ms. Hockey 2008

Post by ghshockeyfan »

I know it's too soon, but who are the frontrunners???

Congrats to Chute by the way, very deserving!!!
brookyone

Re: Ms. Hockey 2008

Post by brookyone »

ghshockeyfan wrote:I know it's too soon, but who are the frontrunners???
Wow, it is early. :wink:

Feste & Ambroz have to be among the initial ten candidates I would say. Probably Erickson from Bemidji...I think she'll be a senior. I have little doubt they'll have stellar senior campaigns.

More to come.

Edit: Oops, nearly forgot, Lauren Smith
Last edited by brookyone on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

brookyone wrote:
ghshockeyfan wrote:I know it's too soon, but who are the frontrunners???
Wow, it is early. :wink:

Feste & Amboz have to be among the initial ten candidates I would say. Probably Erickson from Bemidji...I think she'll be a senior. I have little doubt they'll have stellar senior campaigns.

More to come.
Agreed...

Smith from AHA should probably be on this list along with others...

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4355
brookyone

Post by brookyone »

ghshockeyfan wrote:Smith from AHA should probably be on this list along with others...
Indeed. See my edit made while you were responding. Might even be my early favorite.
shootthepucknow

Ms. Hockey 2008

Post by shootthepucknow »

Kacy Ambroz from New Prague - you guys will really see what type of player she is now that Kilpatrick is gone.
Kilpatrick got all the press but Ambroz is the real hockey player - she plays both ends of the ice!
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

brookyone wrote:
ghshockeyfan wrote:Smith from AHA should probably be on this list along with others...
Indeed. See my edit made while you were responding. Might even be my early favorite.
Feste & Ambroz have to be up there as well though - all amazing players!!! There are others too that should be mentioned here, many of them are on the linked thread I believe...
boblee

Post by boblee »

Gotta throw Emily Erickson into the mix.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

boblee wrote:Gotta throw Emily Erickson into the mix.
Indeed!
Puck Bag

Post by Puck Bag »

Even with Erin Johnson gone I think Rachel Ripley at Farmington will light to lamp next year.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Puck Bag wrote:Even with Erin Johnson gone I think Rachel Ripley at Farmington will light to lamp next year.
I've been very impressed by her. Is this not a kid that played D a year ago too?
pondhockey

Post by pondhockey »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Abby Williams from Alexandria as one of the top finalist for Ms Hockey. She's an Excel award winner and the Herb Brooks award winner.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

pondhockey wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see Abby Williams from Alexandria as one of the top finalist for Ms Hockey. She's an Excel award winner and the Herb Brooks award winner.
She impressed me from what I saw at the tourney too...
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

Darkhorse candidate - Kelly Wild. Defender for CDH. Great quickness; good passer; smart all-around player. Would probably be one of the state's top scorers if she played forward.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

xwildfan wrote:Darkhorse candidate - Kelly Wild. Defender for CDH. Great quickness; good passer; smart all-around player. Would probably be one of the state's top scorers if she played forward.
I've been impressed by what I've seen of her at NDP.
Puck Bag

Post by Puck Bag »

I don't know if Ripley played any D last year or not but my daughter played during three summers with her and she certainly could play some D. I like her speed and nose for the puck.
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

Danielle Welch - Hastings. Big, strong, fast, good shot. Very tough to defend against.
Jac Daggit - Park. Defender. Great skills.
BCGHockey

Post by BCGHockey »

BSM Bacon I've got to believe will be in the mix. EP has two more players that will be in the mix: Seeler and Green. Seeler maybe the D that takes this award away from the forwards. Leading F canidate will be Erickson from Bemidji. Rumors are strong interest from the home team.
boblee

Post by boblee »

BCGHockey wrote:BSM Bacon I've got to believe will be in the mix. EP has two more players that will be in the mix: Seeler and Green. Seeler maybe the D that takes this award away from the forwards. Leading F canidate will be Erickson from Bemidji. Rumors are strong interest from the home team.
Bacon is a great player and a great girl.
JJhockeySS

Good Class

Post by JJhockeySS »

IMO this class might be better & deeper than the 2006 class:

Seeler, Green, Holmes, and Fence should be considered as well.
BCGHockey

Post by BCGHockey »

Remember it is not all about points. If it was Jeanna would have won in 2007 and Johnson would have been in the top 5.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

boblee wrote:Bacon is a great player and a great girl.
Kate Bacon had an amazing year and is on a real trajectory path, going from what I believe was 11 goals in 2005-06 to 42 this year (plus 34 assists = 76 points). Obviously great potential with her tremendous speed and improvement over a year ago.

The real question is, can she duplicate or continue to improve on her performance next season, without graduating senior Amanda Trunzo (46+48=94 points) centering her line? These two worked really well together this past year.

I think she can and will definitely be in the mix for this award in 2008.
GOCARDS1

Post by GOCARDS1 »

abby williams and ashley holmes from alexandria deserve to considered I think...
keepitreal

2008 Ms. Hockey

Post by keepitreal »

Time to bring this to the top. Your top ten and frontrunner speculation? Anyone missing from the list? A very deep class of great players this year. Criteria includes classroom and community service as well as on-ice leadership and performance; things we're not all privy to but we can recognize the players we've seen do well anyway...

(compiled from ghshockeyfan's 2008 All Star Team thread; remember T-Bred and SSM are excluded from this award):

D:
JAC DAGGIT
JUSTINA DEBRUZZI
KERRI GRASKE
ASHLEY HOLMES
BRADI JONASSON
JESSICA LAURINAITIS
ARIEL MACKLEY
MEGHAN PARKER
JESSICA ROBERTSON
ANNE SCHLEPER
KELLY SEELER
MONTANA VICHOREK
NICOLE WELCH
KELLY WILD

F:
KELSEY ABRAHAMSON
KACY AMBROZ
ERIN BABINEAU
KATE BACON
LIZ BERG
MEGHAN BRIGL
KATELYN DOLD
ASHLEY DUFFY
EMILY ERICKSON
SARAH ERICKSON
JAIME FENSTERMACHER
MELISSA FESTE
ANDREA GREEN
TAYLOR JENKINS
KELSEY KETCHER
KAYLEE KEYS
NIKKI LUDWIGSON
CASEY MCMULLEN
GRACIE OLSON
LIZ ORKE
JENNA PETERSON
ALLISON SCHWAB
TONI SIMONES
LAUREN SMITH
ELLEN SWIONTKOWSKI
JILL VANDEGRIFT
MONIQUE WEBER
DANIELLE WELCH
MARLEE WHEELHOUSE
ABBY WILLIAMS

*edit a few tweaks and adds
Last edited by keepitreal on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

I am pro stillwater so take this for what it's worth but I would have to add the following. For as good as Stillwater has been the past 3 years it is time these players start getting more attention.

Forward
Allison Schwab - Stillwater

Defense
Kerri Graske - Stillwater
Lauren Schlicting - Stillwater
boblee

post 9433

Post by boblee »

To me the award possibilities have shrunk quite a bit, but I know that I don't have a vote.

I really like these:

Kelly Wild
Sarah Erickson
Emily Erickson
Kate Bacon
Ashley Duffy
Montana Vichorek

I am not at all saying these are the top 6. I am just saying these are six seniors I really like. This year is very interesting. With the loss of key players for a couple weeks, will that affect their chances? As much as I believe it is between 2-4 players (that of which I will not say at this point), I believe that as many as 20-25 girls could win it due to the parity in the state this year. There is still plenty of time left for girls to get red hot and lead their team to St. Paul.