Crookston Roseau or Warroad 08 Section Champs?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

For anyone who wants to see Warroad locally (metro) I know they will be in town Fri 11/16 & Sat 11/17 playing Simley & Holy Angels. I understand they are bringing their U14 along as well to play a couple JV/U14 games in the area.
RoseauWarrior

Post by RoseauWarrior »

hockeyheaven wrote:RoseauWarrior, please except my apology, I just assumed your intrests lied out side out side of Warroad. Wait a minute... if you are from Warroad.... huh... what is your issue again? Let me get this straight your hacked off that you have too many quality players? I could be mistaken but, by years end your team had barly two servicable lines. I would think you would be thrilled with the extra players. Do you also get upset when the boss offers you a raise each year? When you go fishing do you land just one little crappie and call it a day? Maybe you hav'nt heard about this little issue call "transfer". Most schools are annoyed when they loose players not gain them. Ask Woodbury, or Hopkins, or even WBL, they would gladly take those players. As far as living away from their family, never heard of prep schools like Shattack. furthermore, these girls are probably staying with friends they made playing on summer teams, and I'm sure it's an inconvience for everyone involved, but that's what friends do for friends. Just calm down and look forward to your trip down to the Twin Cities in Feburary.
First things first, I said I lived in Warroad, didn't say I was from Warroad!!

"My issue" with this was just touched on by Sioux, but I'll tell you again. Crookston and Roseau don't have many (if any) more players on their varsity teams, but they aren't out there actively recruiting outsiders to take the playing time of the local girls that have put in their dues. If Woodbury, Hopkins, or WBL would gladly take them, why are they moving up to the middle of nowhere to live away from their parents if they weren't "recruited". My issue comes when certain people in the community are constanty out recruiting kids to take the place of local kids that have played in the program since kindergarden. How is that fair?
hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven »

Roseauwarrior, I must again aplogize. I made some assumptions based on the fact that you are kind of all over the place.

But are these players really displacing anyone? To Warroads credit they are one of the few areas that make a considerable effort to not steal from their U14 team. Thus in a sense handicapping themselves (before you bust a nut, Roseau and Crookston don't either..right?) Aren't they generally a couple of injuries away from disaster though. I wish all hockey communities followed this action. The fact is they don't. I have a daughter in the eight grade. She could play on any Varsity team in the State, but her school prohibit her from even trying out. Her only option is U14. Nothing wrong with that, but the fact is the 14 level is considerably watered down these days with the top players opting for HS. Warroad is one of the few teams who field a competative team (U14) year in and year out. With their population I think they could use a few reinforcements. So could Roseau, Crookston. There is nothing wrong with a little imagration. Those other communities just need to do a better job of being down at the docks when the boats come in.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

hockeyheaven wrote:...but the fact is the 14 level is considerably watered down these days with the top players opting for HS. Warroad is one of the few teams who field a competative team (U14) year in and year out. With their population I think they could use a few reinforcements. So could Roseau, Crookston. There is nothing wrong with a little imagration. Those other communities just need to do a better job of being down at the docks when the boats come in.
If Warroad is one of the "few teams" that field a competitive U14 team "year in and year out" why do they need a "few reinforcements"? And what do the average Warroad players think when the "reinforcements" come in and take their spot?
Sioux Rule

Post by Sioux Rule »

hockeyheaven wrote:Roseauwarrior, I must again aplogize. I made some assumptions based on the fact that you are kind of all over the place.

But are these players really displacing anyone? To Warroads credit they are one of the few areas that make a considerable effort to not steal from their U14 team. Thus in a sense handicapping themselves (before you bust a nut, Roseau and Crookston don't either..right?) Aren't they generally a couple of injuries away from disaster though. I wish all hockey communities followed this action. The fact is they don't. I have a daughter in the eight grade. She could play on any Varsity team in the State, but her school prohibit her from even trying out. Her only option is U14. Nothing wrong with that, but the fact is the 14 level is considerably watered down these days with the top players opting for HS. Warroad is one of the few teams who field a competative team (U14) year in and year out. With their population I think they could use a few reinforcements. So could Roseau, Crookston. There is nothing wrong with a little imagration. Those other communities just need to do a better job of being down at the docks when the boats come in.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Brook Story play varsity in 8th grade, thus robbing the 14U team??
Sioux Rule

Post by Sioux Rule »

Oh yea, and I forgot about Layla Marvin. She played varsity as an 8th grader didn't she??
Hupman

Post by Hupman »

According the MSHSL rules the 14U can only play 5 games against a JV team. So a couple here and their would be more then 5.........
hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven »

I contended that Warroad only made the effort to maintain their U14 team. There are always going to be the Storys that need to and should be elavated to the level they will be challanged at. As far as Marvin I was told she only played varsity because of need. Which supports my view that these smaller communities who want to compete have to look for alternatives. When I saw Warroad play a game in the cities last year they had only 11 players. One girl got hurt and one did'nt make the trip because of some other activity. Take away the Marvin girl and do the math. These new girls are not taking anyones place.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

hockeyheaven wrote:I contended that Warroad only made the effort to maintain their U14 team. There are always going to be the Storys that need to and should be elavated to the level they will be challanged at. As far as Marvin I was told she only played varsity because of need. Which supports my view that these smaller communities who want to compete have to look for alternatives. When I saw Warroad play a game in the cities last year they had only 11 players. One girl got hurt and one did'nt make the trip because of some other activity. Take away the Marvin girl and do the math. These new girls are not taking anyones place.
I would have thought Warroad has wider participation than that, given their storied hockey history over the years and the way the community has always supported hockey so much.
hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven »

For their population that is incredible participation. Look at the City teams like Fridley. Population 30 + thousand and they have to combine with two other schools to pull off a team. And when combined with three you go to the championship game. (sorry cheap shot)
#1hockeymom

Crookston Roseau Warroad 08 Section Champs

Post by #1hockeymom »

Sorry Crookston, After reading these posts I will have to change my 08 section champ selection to the Warriors. Silly me, I didn't factor in these 3 new recruits. Anyone have any info on them? Is it possible that they are as great as hockeyheavens daughter? :roll: Hope Crookston or Roseau can prove me wrong with thier home grown programs. Good luck girls and get after the Warriors.

Love,

#1 Hockeymom
hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven »

Nice attitude #1hockeymom. And I was starting to wonder why they were not lining up to transfer to Crookston.
#1hockeymom

Post by #1hockeymom »

The attitude up north where hockey was born is that 99% of our teams prefer to compete with home grown talent. It is really unfortunate when a team at the highschool level brings in players from other progams/towns to try build a State contender. Personally I would not get much satisfaction out of recruiting players for a team to be successful at this level. Up north I would even consider this cheating. Congratulations to the teams that make there way the old fashion way, shame on you that don't.

Love,

#1hockeymom
oldram

Section 8 champs

Post by oldram »

Warroad had only 11 players because the parents of local kids are tired of dishing out thousands of dollars to have somebody "move" in and take their spot.

Why was Mike Marvin made an agent of Warroad High School? Because he was recruiting Bantam age kids. Technically it is not recruiting if the athlete isn't old enough to play on the high school team, thus the reason for recruiting Bantam age kids. They also have put ads in newspapers in Europe for exchange students, preferably athletes.
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

oldram wrote:
They also have put ads in newspapers in Europe for exchange students, preferably athletes.
Coooool! What a great idea! I think I'll focus on Finland and Sweden.....er, ah...I mean, that's terrible. Who would do such a thing?
RoseauWarrior

Re: Section 8 champs

Post by RoseauWarrior »

oldram wrote:Warroad had only 11 players because the parents of local kids are tired of dishing out thousands of dollars to have somebody "move" in and take their spot.

I heard that Warroads 14U coach has said that he wants to play with a "short bench" this year, in essence discouraging the younger girls that will move up to play hockey. I guess you have to do something to keep your numbers down, so that people think that the imports you bring in are OK?? What a terrible thing if that is true. What true hockey person would discourage 13 year olds in Warroad from playing?
Sioux Rule

Post by Sioux Rule »

I heard that Warroads 14U coach has said that he wants to play with a "short bench" this year, in essence discouraging the younger girls that will move up to play hockey. I guess you have to do something to keep your numbers down, so that people think that the imports you bring in are OK?? What a terrible thing if that is true. What true hockey person would discourage 13 year olds in Warroad from playing?[/quote]

What say you, hockeyheaven. Is this true??
hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven »

Sioux Rule wrote:I heard that Warroads 14U coach has said that he wants to play with a "short bench" this year, in essence discouraging the younger girls that will move up to play hockey. I guess you have to do something to keep your numbers down, so that people think that the imports you bring in are OK?? What a terrible thing if that is true. What true hockey person would discourage 13 year olds in Warroad from playing?
What say you, hockeyheaven. Is this true??[/quote]

I don’t know if this is accurate or not (I sure hope not). Contrary to the impression it seems I may have given you, I am just an observer like everyone else. My point all along was not specific to their situation other then acknowledging the coaches their given right to do what they feel is necessary for the improvement of their program (if within the rules) and for the student athletes to take advantage of what they see as an apparent favorable opportunity. I may not personally agree with this tactic, but I find it very difficult to judge someone who seeks a better option (and the argument of winning with home grown talent and maintaining civic pride is no real argument). However, if they are indeed restricting a player(s) merely for competitive advantage (or for any other reason), then I find this act simply deplorable and with out a doubt unacceptable. My position is only valid if everyone is given a fair opportunity to compete.

….and Mom sorry for that “nice attitude” comment :oops: . Go Pirates!
#1hockeymom

Post by #1hockeymom »

No need for an apology however it is accepted. :D The issue that I have a real problem with is teams up north that do recruiting. Unfortunately I believe it does happen in Warrior land and MM does have a hand in it. :twisted: I am glad that I do not have a displaced daughter in that program.Time to dig in Roseau - Crookston and others and make them pay the price. Three cheers to the teams that compete with there local talent!
Sioux Rule

Post by Sioux Rule »

hockeyheaven wrote:
Sioux Rule wrote:I heard that Warroads 14U coach has said that he wants to play with a "short bench" this year, in essence discouraging the younger girls that will move up to play hockey. I guess you have to do something to keep your numbers down, so that people think that the imports you bring in are OK?? What a terrible thing if that is true. What true hockey person would discourage 13 year olds in Warroad from playing?
What say you, hockeyheaven. Is this true??
I don’t know if this is accurate or not (I sure hope not). Contrary to the impression it seems I may have given you, I am just an observer like everyone else. My point all along was not specific to their situation other then acknowledging the coaches their given right to do what they feel is necessary for the improvement of their program (if within the rules) and for the student athletes to take advantage of what they see as an apparent favorable opportunity. I may not personally agree with this tactic, but I find it very difficult to judge someone who seeks a better option (and the argument of winning with home grown talent and maintaining civic pride is no real argument). However, if they are indeed restricting a player(s) merely for competitive advantage (or for any other reason), then I find this act simply deplorable and with out a doubt unacceptable. My position is only valid if everyone is given a fair opportunity to compete.

….and Mom sorry for that “nice attitude” comment :oops: . Go Pirates![/quote]

Hockeyheaven, it sounds like you are genuinely for the players. That's good to hear. :D
#1hockeymom

Post by #1hockeymom »

Susie, you start out by walking on egg shells then drop the whole carton. Are you stating that it is OK to recruit up north as long as it is within the rules and does not restrict players? Maybe you should change your handle to the Warrior> :lol:

Love,

#1 Hockeymom
Sioux Rule

Post by Sioux Rule »

#1hockeymom wrote:Susie, you start out by walking on egg shells then drop the whole carton. Are you stating that it is OK to recruit up north as long as it is within the rules and does not restrict players? Maybe you should change your handle to the Warrior> :lol:

Love,

#1 Hockeymom
Mommy, I'm totally AGAINST recruiting up north. Let me give you an example why:
I believe when GiGi Marvin was in 8th grade, there was approx. 15 girls in her grade playing hockey. When she was a senior, she was the only one!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those numbers are pretty accurate!
#1hockeymom

Post by #1hockeymom »

Right on Sioux, I see that we are on the same page. I thought for a moment that you were protecting double M's feelings. Not only is recruiting up north to build a state contender pathetic, it is down right unethical. While hockey is the greatest game on earth, I would look real hard at another winter sport if I was from hockey town. Maybe they could advertise for players on the water tower as well. Historically they have produced several homegrown Olympians and professional players, hopefully those left can bring this program back to it's roots.

Love,

#1 Hockeymom

PS I am sure with a name like Sioux Rules you have made an exception for TJ Oshie?
Sioux Rule

Post by Sioux Rule »

#1hockeymom wrote:Right on Sioux, I see that we are on the same page. I thought for a moment that you were protecting double M's feelings. Not only is recruiting up north to build a state contender pathetic, it is down right unethical. While hockey is the greatest game on earth, I would look real hard at another winter sport if I was from hockey town. Maybe they could advertise for players on the water tower as well. Historically they have produced several homegrown Olympians and professional players, hopefully those left can bring this program back to it's roots.

Love,

#1 Hockeymom

PS I am sure with a name like Sioux Rules you have made an exception for TJ Oshie?
I had heard that Oshie was born in Warroad, moved away, but came back home to play hockey. Not sure I can make an exception, though.
oldram

Roseau, Warroad Crookston

Post by oldram »

But even some of the "homegrown" talent don't claim Warroad as home. Allen Hangslaben lists Swift as his home town in the NHL directories. Wyatt Smith has started listing TRF. The years of Smith and the Martell brothers when they won the "A" Championship, they should have cut the trophy in half and sent half of it to TRF.