Great Goalie Performances

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Stillh2ofan

Coachk

Post by Stillh2ofan »

WOW what a great know what it takes to be a D1 womens starting
goalie when all they face is poor weak shots MIND.Maybe they should
just hang up the pads now.
Coachk

Post by Coachk »

good idea jerk why not explore reality
cluelessinminnesota

Post by cluelessinminnesota »

I love the mix of optimism and reality that these posts contain.

Personally, I am trying not to comment too much on young athletes and their athletic performances, but I encourage others to continue.

If possible I do want more posts about any goalie perfermance when they stop greater than 40 shots or win a big game between top 10 teams.

I can't see all the games in the state so it is interesting to hear about the different goaltenders out there. How about a ranking of the top 5 goaltenders by section? and the top 5 in Class A?
QuinUD1

Post by QuinUD1 »

Pardon me if I am wrong, but I thought this forum was meant to comend current goalies on successful games they've had this season... Not to cut them down, saying they will never be successful or that they won't ever be as good as their predecessors. Speaking as a former HS goaltender, some of you are posting very rude comments, and I'm guessing you have very slim knowledge on what you are talking about, which makes you ignorant. Sure, some of the shots we face are weak, but regardless of those few, facing 50+ shots in a game and coming out with a save percentage of 95+ is an accomplishment for any goalie. While some of those shots maybe "squirt" level, others may even be at "pee wee" or dare I say it, if we're lucky, "high school" *gasp* level. And about you're comment on Ellison and McCready and all the other great goalies that have come before us, what about Ashley Nixon who has been starting for SCSU. Or does she not count? Do not say that these kids have no chance at making it, because you're going to look like quite a fool when one of them does... Get this thread back to what it was initially supposed to be about, congratulating goalies on great performances.
Last edited by QuinUD1 on Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

I suggest ignoring people who insist on writing inflammatory remarks. But in this case he doesn't even have his facts straight. 10 of the 24 WCHA goalies played Minnesota HS Hockey, including maybe the best in the conference, Emily Brookshaw. At least 4 of them are starters or at least share time. This guy knows about 2 of them who aren't playing a lot. In other words, he should "explore reality", whatever that means. So now we can ignore him.
Last edited by Bensonmum on Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stillh2ofan

Post by Stillh2ofan »

Thank you QuinD1.
QuinUD1

Post by QuinUD1 »

Thank you Bensonmum... I'd just like to add one more point for those of you who are thinking that none of these kids will make it ever: Until you've gone to multiple games of every goalie in the state, you have no right to say kids aren't as good as the goalies of the past. And also, if you notice, usually the first 1-2 years of college a goalie will "ride the pine". That's simply how it is in college hockey... So honestly, atleast have a decent amount of proper knowledge before you say something as stupid and inaccurate like what has been said in some of these posts.
startsinthenet

Post by startsinthenet »

A lot of terriffic games played in the net so far this year. Sobczek from Stillwater has been outstanding, also good performances in the net by Hastings, WBL, Wayzata, Warroad, etc. I am sure we will see many more. Keep in mind many of these kids showing up are 8, 9, & 10th graders not seniors. They have 3-5 years of growth and development ahead of them. Refrenceing a previous posting. I will do more than explore reality, I will witness it. McCready or Ellison did not have the skill early in their careers they graduated with and continue to develop today. And yes, they are riding the so called Pine as the #2 tenders for their teams behind 2 of the best goalies in International women's hockey. These girls are underclassmen and should eventually get theri shot at #1. In the big picture of things that's not too bad of a picture.
Now back to the thread, of the teams I mentioned I'm sure we will see a MS. Goalie canidate develop by their senior year. Regardless, keep posting the truely outstanding performances. Goalies are like linemen they work in the pit and never get too much recognition.

Remember it "Starts in the Net"
brookyone

Post by brookyone »

I witnessed one of the best Minnesota girls high school performances I've personally ever seen in goal by Miss Havel of GRG during the tournament last season. Memory's a little foggy...I think it was vs. BSM. I understand she's playing very well this season as well.

Sobczak of Stillwater has played extremely well in every game I've seen this season. In my view you can credit her largely for coming out on top vs. Roseville. You just can't really argue the fact she is a big part of Stillwater's success thus far. Style or no style...I don't care. Stop the puck. She's got a nice quick glove hand tho.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

One young goaltender to watch is sophomore Kallie Billedeau of Hopkins, who is a big reason behind her team's success this year. So far she's posted a .942 save percentage and a GAA of just 1.323.

Perhaps the highlight was a 3-0 shutout against Edina when she stopped all 28 shots. And having seen Edina play, you can bet that most of them were not of the squirt-caliber variety!
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

I didn't see GRG in the tournament last year, but the best performance I did see was the 8th grader for North Metro vs. BSM on Friday night. Her name is Kayla Kreuter. BSM outshot NM 35-15 and lost 5-2. And the BSM team was full of DI players who could fire the puck--they never let up. I thought at the time that was one of the overlooked stories of the tournament--an 8th grade goalie leading her team to the state title game. I know North Metro is having a tough year now but I'd keep my eye on this kid, a Freshman who already has a state title run under her belt.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Bensonmum wrote:I know North Metro is having a tough year now but I'd keep my eye on this kid, a Freshman who already has a state title run under her belt.
Not to take anything away from Miss Kreuter or her fine performance in the semi-final game against BSM, but her North Metro team did lose in the championship game to Stillwater (no state title).
wrestlelaw5

Post by wrestlelaw5 »

How is this for a goalie performance. Team was outshot 74 to 1 and lost the game 1-0. Baumhoffner has had similar games. I believe earlier in the season saved 63 of 65 shots.

SP/L/H 1, Worthington 0

LeSUEUR — Even with a solid performance in all aspects of the game, the Worthington girls’ hockey team dropped a close contest to St. Peter/Le Sueur/Henderson, 1-0, Tuesday night.

The Trojans (0-6-1) had just one shot on goal, but Taylor Baumhoffner made 73 saves between the pipes.

Worthington will host Sioux Falls Thursday.

Wgtn 0 0 0 — 0

S/L/H 0 0 1 — 1
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

wrestlelaw5 wrote:How is this for a goalie performance. Team was outshot 74 to 1 and lost the game 1-0. Baumhoffner has had similar games. I believe earlier in the season saved 63 of 65 shots.

SP/L/H 1, Worthington 0

LeSUEUR — Even with a solid performance in all aspects of the game, the Worthington girls’ hockey team dropped a close contest to St. Peter/Le Sueur/Henderson, 1-0, Tuesday night.

The Trojans (0-6-1) had just one shot on goal, but Taylor Baumhoffner made 73 saves between the pipes.

Worthington will host Sioux Falls Thursday.

Wgtn 0 0 0 — 0

S/L/H 0 0 1 — 1
Miss Baumhoffner must be the only player on the team that can put ice skates on and stand up. How is it possible to get outshot 74 to 1? And it's not as if they were playing the state champions...
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

MnHockeyfan wrote:
Not to take anything away from Miss Kreuter or her fine performance in the semi-final game against BSM, but her North Metro team did lose in the championship game to Stillwater (no state title).
I know they didn't win, I meant they made a run to the title game, which is pretty outstanding for an 8th grader.
On a more recent note, Becca Macrostie had a 50-save game for the Blades in a 3-2 win over Apple Valley on Tuesday night.
rwb1351

Post by rwb1351 »

8th Grader Sarah Luby had a fantastic performance tonight in the nets and helped lead her Simley team to an "upset" victory over rivals South St. Paul. She maintained a shut out into the 3rd period and made several huge saves in the final minutes to preserve the historical victory for the Simley squad.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Brianna Schulz recorded 39 saves in leading her Prior Lake team to a 1-0 shutout and upset victory over Minnetonka.

Also Zinka Krivdic of Robbinsdale Armstrong made 29 saves for her first high school shutout over Buffalo. In her last three starts Zinka has posted a save percentage of .967.
pondhockey

Post by pondhockey »

cluelessinminnesota wrote:If possible I do want more posts about any goalie perfermance when they stop greater than 40 shots or win a big game between top 10 teams.
The Alexandria at Breck game qualifies for this one with a 42 shot shut out for Danielle Justice to help win it 2-0 for the Cardinals.
spr air 210

Post by spr air 210 »

Wow Breck got over 40 shots on a team like Alex????????? Haller is now

at Anoka did all those top notch Alex players lay down or were those

clearing shots????? I saw their roster posted here you'd think they would

dominate??? I can't imagine their D would allow many tough shots???
GOCARDS1

Post by GOCARDS1 »

alex came out VERY flat. and half of breck's shots were in the first period. after that, I would consider the game pretty even. Alex still had a 1-0 lead after that first period. If you were to look at overall scoring chances, that number would be close.
spr air 210

Post by spr air 210 »

I have to honest after I saw Fergus put in 2 goals vs Alex on 11 shots

40 vs Breck seemed like a typo????
GOCARDS1

Post by GOCARDS1 »

haha have you looked at alex's season so far?
All the way down the line you either see 0 or 1 goals against.
Little Falls and Fergus Falls being the only two exceptions.
Backup goalie and all four lines skated against LF.
Against FF, it seemed to me that both goals were pretty fluky, with the last one going in with 7 seconds left. I'm not sure what you're saying against fergus, but I believe Warroad only defeated them 3-0.
But I think what really matters is that Alex has only allowed 3 goals TOTAL against five top 20 class A/AA teams (GRG, hibbing, roseau, and moorhead, and breck)
spr air 210

Post by spr air 210 »

Agreed, but starting goalie vs Fergus and your Quote Go Cards on Dec 4th

; 52-11 shots in favor of Alex Vs St Cloud Tech in a 1-1 Tie. On paper Alex

looks unbeatable!!!!!!!!!!!! Only Eden Prairie looks deeper.

With the quality of players they have I can't see how they could give up

15-20 shots on any one. One of the richest senior classes in the state

no Question.
Cardfan

Post by Cardfan »

Often when a team plays someone they know is not as strong
their focus will be off and they tend to give up bad goals
It happens their kids playing a game for fun
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Nice article on St. Paul Blades' goalie Becca Macrostie - accolades for her last two games against Woodbury and Apple Valley:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/12806007.html