Rumor around B.I.G.

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Twinnesota

Post by Twinnesota »

The Minnesota State High School League requires student athletes to sign a pledge that they will not drink alcoholic beverages.

I do not care if you are #1 in the rankings or #100, or if you are a player that scores 0 or 4 goals per game.

The rules are there...

T
xk1

Post by xk1 »

So let's say your daughter visits a college to see if she wants to go there. While there, she is taken to a team party. At that party there is a lot of drinking going on, some underage, some not, it's college. A picture is taken of her with a red cup in her hand. The cup contains 7-UP. Someone takes a picture and posts it on FB. A friend of the poster sees it and turns her in to her school. What should happen? Is she guilty unless she can prove it was 7-UP?

The point is, FB is a virtual world, you don't know what is real and what isn't. In the real world police show up, complaints are filed and you have rights, there are witnesses, etc.

I don't condone drinking in HS and I think the punishment, when you are caught, is too lenient, but I think I dislike using FB in this manner even more.

I also think you need to find out the facts as they pertain to EP girls hockey on your own rather than rely on this forum which is more likely to spread rumors based on the communities dislike of EP. When you find those facts, keep them to yourself as these kids have a right to privacy.
Hux

Post by Hux »

SportsMa wrote:Ok, I will fully admit I am old fashioned but find it an upsetting trend that parents (and kids) shift blame and not expect their kids to live within the commitments made. Sports are not a right but a privilege. If your kid is drinking, gets caught~serve the consequence and learn from it. At our house, there would be a school consequence and a home consequence. Parents need to talk with their kids about all these important issues. Poor choices with alcohol can lead to very serious consequences.

Ok, off my soapbox!
:)
I agree with you 100%. Many programs require their student-athletes to sign conduct contracts, yet when it is time to pay the piper for a transgression, neither the student-athlete or the parent is willing to abide by the contract. The law says that it is illegal to drink under the age of 21. Pretty plain and simple.

Obviously no one wants to see their kid in trouble, but I think a lot of it has more to do with the pervasiveness of shifting blame, and a lack of accountability in general. Bottom line is that very few people are willing to look at something like this and say "Ok, where did I screw up, and what made JR think it would be OK to break the law?" Somewhere down the line there was a breakdown in communication between parent and child. (No big surprise there) And the ones fighting something like this are the ones who don't want to admit it.
Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother »

after EP graduates this motherload of talent, they will be a non-factor next year anyway and everyone can go on hating another team instead.
theref

Post by theref »

If any parents were smart, they'd get a lawyer. Lawyers would have a field day with this. Let's prove what is or is not in the cup. Yes, kids really shouldn't be in those situations while they are student athletes, but it happens.

In my opinion, that's pretty shady for someone to be sending these pics to the school or for the school to go looking for them. That's how rumors start. What if two girls were hugging, does that make them lesbians? You can put lots of spin on pictures, especially these days.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

xk1 wrote:I also think you need to find out the facts as they pertain to EP girls hockey on your own rather than rely on this forum which is more likely to spread rumors based on the communities dislike of EP. When you find those facts, keep them to yourself as these kids have a right to privacy.
I agree with this, there is no reason to publicly post individual names here no matter what the source. They are minors and unless they or their parents volunteer to speak out for the record, their privacy needs to be protected.

But in your college visit example above I still believe it's the high school athlete's responsibility to immediately leave any type of gathering where there is alcohol (or drugs) present before someone gets their cell phone or digital camera out and starts snapping pictures. Whether or not you're an innocent bystander or not, you don't even want to be present in such a situation as this case has shown.
hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven »

MNHockeyFan wrote:This StarTribune article in today's paper does a good job of looking at all sides of the issue:

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/13663951.html
If the StarTrib have their facts straight, and of course I’m taking some liberty with my assumptions, but with 42 questioned and only 13 punished, it certainly would then give the impression that the school proceeded with due diligence and with some restraint. We must understand (or at least the EP students) that this is the new reality in regards to the resources schools may and can use to combat rule violation. But it should by no means be viewed as less reliable or unreasonable. In my day there was an incident where the Captain of a football team walked into a party, witnessed four teammates he assumed were consuming, and then took it upon himself (out of duty I presume) to turn them in. The school, acting only with this one point of reference proceeded to then pass judgment and assign penalty. The only difference was the four individuals in question took full responsibility for their actions and accepted their punishment with out any real resistance. Best advise is to live and learn.
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
xk1 wrote:.

But in your college visit example above I still believe it's the high school athlete's responsibility to immediately leave any type of gathering where there is alcohol (or drugs) present before someone gets their cell phone or digital camera out and starts snapping pictures. Whether or not you're an innocent bystander or not, you don't even want to be present in such a situation as this case has shown.
I do not htink that any student, Athlete should EVER put anything that could even lead to speculation on their FB. Most kids put stuff on there for others to see and Believe that is who they are, Mistake yes,
absolut gilt no.
But if you put a picture out there for people to Perceive that is who you are, then some will believe that is who you are. Throw caution to the wind.
Last edited by hockeya1a on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xk1

Post by xk1 »

The best way to stay out of trouble is to avoid it. If you publish a picture of yourself you deserve it, but in my example, someone else does it without your knowledge or approval.

Edit-
I should add that I am going to assume the student(s) in question got a fair chance to explain the photos to the administration. The debate is over using FB as a source and the severity of the punishment which is the way the Strib is posing it.
Hux

Post by Hux »

hockeyheaven wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote: We must understand (or at least the EP students) that this is the new reality in regards to the resources schools may and can use to combat rule violation. But it should by no means be viewed as less reliable or unreasonable.
There was recently a Boston Globe article regarding many business and especially the Fortune 500s using social networking web sites (Facebook, MySpace) to monitor employee behavior. It was also used to check out job applicants who were foolish enough to include their web addy on their resumes.
rmmaiv123

Post by rmmaiv123 »

i know who is going to be missing for eden praire including 2 of there capitains. one in the hospital and 2 with minors?
FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

What happens if I just sit down to enjoy a Friday night of gophers hockey. I sit down crack open a cold one and put the cold one on a coaster on an end table (I'm not an animal), and remember I forgot to put my gopher hat on. I then have to run up stairs to get that hat. In the mean time, my son and his buddies are in the basement reading scriptures from the bible when they decide that they would be better served to pray at our church, so they all come up from the basement to ask me for my keys while they toss around a football and muffin hands tips it into my cold one, spilling the cold one all over my end table. Is it ok for them to clean that up or do I turn the furnace up so that it will evaporate?
hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven »

FREDFLINTSTONE wrote:What happens if I just sit down to enjoy a Friday night of gophers hockey. I sit down crack open a cold one and put the cold one on a coaster on an end table (I'm not an animal), and remember I forgot to put my gopher hat on. I then have to run up stairs to get that hat. In the mean time, my son and his buddies are in the basement reading scriptures from the bible when they decide that they would be better served to pray at our church, so they all come up from the basement to ask me for my keys while they toss around a football and muffin hands tips it into my cold one, spilling the cold one all over my end table. Is it ok for them to clean that up or do I turn the furnace up so that it will evaporate?
No problem Fred, Just let Dino lap it up. :lol:
spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama »

MNHockeyFan wrote: But in your college visit example above I still believe it's the high school athlete's responsibility to immediately leave any type of gathering where there is alcohol (or drugs) present before someone gets their cell phone or digital camera out and starts snapping pictures. Whether or not you're an innocent bystander or not, you don't even want to be present in such a situation as this case has shown.
Excellent advice. There is no benefit to hanging around the temptation and giving the appearance of evil.
iceit

Post by iceit »

from the pictues (with blurry faces) i saw posted on the web... Dino would get quite sick lapping up 6 coronas and a half bottle of rum! No sign of Fred or Wilma in any of those photos! hahah
gopher9

Post by gopher9 »

rmmaiv123 wrote:i know who is going to be missing for eden praire including 2 of there capitains. one in the hospital and 2 with minors?

I dont know where you are getting your info but your wrong! Green just got out of the hospital for a concussion. And will be back!!! And one was caught on FB. That doesnt mean she got a minor. That adds up to two missing. I dont know where you are getting your info???
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

gopher9 wrote:I dont know where you are getting your info but your wrong! Green just got out of the hospital for a concussion. And will be back!!!
gopher9, I hope you are right about Miss Green. What's "going around" is that her condition was much more serious than that, not to say concussions are not something to be taken lightly.

I am always skeptical about what you hear at the rink, because many times what you are told turns out to be exaggerated or even totally untrue. Hopefully that's the case here and she can return to the ice soon. In any case best of luck to her.
Last edited by MNHockeyFan on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truthbetold

Post by Truthbetold »

Nice comments in the Star Tribune today from a parent of an EP girls HS goalie. He gets it.... 8) Basically, Mr Burke is happy this happened, if for no other reason parents have conversations with their kids around drinking and behavior. Well done sir.
Rentley

Post by Rentley »

Parents......take off the rose colored glasses!! If you think for one minute that your son or daughter will never ever get involved in "anything like that", you are truly fooling yourself. Athletes are no different than theater kids...they still need to understand that every choice they make involves consequences.

Get involved in their lives, check their e-mails, tell them that you want to see their my space or face book, meet their friends! Help them to make good choices in their lives, and be there for them if they stumble!

Bottom line is that any one of our kids at anytime could make a choice that could affect them for the rest of their lives!
southern-cross-check

Post by southern-cross-check »

Keep the kids away from the beer, shortages are no good!

Although they do keep the stock fresh...

I'm torn

"You need structure... and discipline" - Colonel Frank Fitts
eastsidehockey

Post by eastsidehockey »

Keep the kids away from the beer, shortages are no good!

Although they do keep the stock fresh...

I'm torn

"You need structure... and discipline" - Colonel Frank Fitts
:D :D :D :D :D :D

That is funny.

I do think these kids made another huge mistake, the only thing they shook up is their after school plans! :D
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

"Say EP loses #2, 9, 29( I have no idea who is suspended) vs losing #21, 25, 32. Chaska would have a lot better chance in the game with the first three gone, but we do not even know who they are missing so you can not say they will win"

Well not to re-hash this but as you know EP did win 4-1. With 34 minutes in penalties and #9 and another player was out.

#21 - 1g 1a
#25 - 3a
#32 - 2g
Not bad for the 3 girls who seemed to be considered...How should I say this....Expendable?
bigred

EP BIG rumors

Post by bigred »

Give credit where credit is due. Chaska outshot EP, maybe EP's goalie had a great game?
Hansonbrother

Re: EP BIG rumors

Post by Hansonbrother »

bigred wrote:Give credit where credit is due. Chaska outshot EP, maybe EP's goalie had a great game?
I wasn't at the game, but based on 34 minutes in penalties or in easier terms, 2 full periods of killing off penalties, I would hope Chaska outshot EP in that game.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Credit goes to both teams - It was a very good game. Both goaltenders did play very well and EP was outshot - Thanks 12+ penalties against them. Which now totals over 240 minutes for the year. Chaska is a tough team - I am not taking anything away from them. I was just responding to the other post about the 3 EP girls that they mentioned.