Rumor around B.I.G.

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

titleist

Rumor around B.I.G.

Post by titleist » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Anyone hear more on the E.P. drinking scandal?

defensedad

Re: Rumor around B.I.G.

Post by defensedad » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:49 pm

titleist wrote:Anyone hear more on the E.P. drinking scandal?
Never knew there was a scandal. What is going on? Did some one get caught?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:06 pm

defensedad wrote:Never knew there was a scandal. What is going on? Did some one get caught?
It was on Channel 5 news last night:

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S307125.shtml?cat=1

And there is an article in this morning's StarTribune:

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/13549646.html

rmmaiv123

Post by rmmaiv123 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:44 pm

i think now that Eden Praire will be missing a few girls chaska has quite a good chance of beating them this weekend

gopher9

Post by gopher9 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:55 pm

rmmaiv123 wrote:i think now that Eden Praire will be missing a few girls chaska has quite a good chance of beating them this weekend

DONT COUNT ON IT! They are only missing 2. And one will be back before playoffs and the other probobly will to.

hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:59 pm

gopher9 wrote:
rmmaiv123 wrote:i think now that Eden Praire will be missing a few girls chaska has quite a good chance of beating them this weekend

DONT COUNT ON IT! They are only missing 2. And one will be back before playoffs and the other probobly will to.
So who is missing? or do we have to wait and see?

brookyone

Post by brookyone » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:04 pm

I'll just say I got a chuckle out of the published comment made by one EP student involved (not a varsity / athletics participant from what I can gather) who said it was a "huge invasion of privacy."

Materials / photos posted on an internet website...privacy? :? I'm confused.

gopher9

Post by gopher9 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:05 pm

hockeya1a wrote:
gopher9 wrote:

So who is missing? or do we have to wait and see?

Green is out with a concussion. And will be back before playoffs and the other one I guess you will have to wait and see?

boblee

post 9158

Post by boblee » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:18 pm

I heard that a girl was in the hospital also...

hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:00 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
defensedad wrote:Never knew there was a scandal. What is going on? Did some one get caught?
It was on Channel 5 news last night:

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S307125.shtml?cat=1

And there is an article in this morning's StarTribune:

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/13549646.html
Wow, what a shame. This type of exposure puts both the school administrators and the student athlete in a really bad situation. A picture tells a good story, but not always an accurate one. The bottom line is judgment was impaired and these individuals (at the very least) put themselves in a position of compromise. Punishment is necessary but one can only hope that the penalties issued were done carefully and with full understanding of accuracy and the context of each circumstance.

Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:01 pm

I'd like to see video of kids running home from the busstop this afternoon to edit their myspace.com sites. :wink:

pondhockey

Post by pondhockey » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:31 pm

This is also a great reminder to parents that they should be monitoring what their children are putting on facebook profiles. I hope this resolves itself without damaging anyone's future. I predict a few attorneys getting involved.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 pm

pondhockey wrote:This is also a great reminder to parents that they should be monitoring what their children are putting on facebook profiles.
Not just facebook but any group situation where there is alcohol, tobacco or drugs - leave immediately before someone with a cell phone snaps a picture.

offsides

Post by offsides » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:43 pm

rmmaiv123,

Are you kidding? The avg. score for the last 7 EP/Chaska games is something like 7 to 0.5 goals. So EP may be missing a few kids. What makes you think the gap has been closed enough for Chaska to "have a good chance of beating them." Ridiculous. The long odds may have improved, but, they are still long.

SportsMa

Post by SportsMa » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:46 pm

Hope the students involved with all of this learn a few life lessons about good decision making and prompts some important discussions with parents and kids!

tomASS

Post by tomASS » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:18 pm

Bensonmum wrote:I'd like to see video of kids running home from the busstop this afternoon to edit their myspace.com sites. :wink:
Too Funny :lol: good humor!

Yeah it looked the Indy 500 out of the school parking lot today!

The privacy issue comes from the fact that most of the individual pages are closed unless invited. The real invasion comes from a known facepage friend who must have wanted to get back at some people. So not about privacy as it is about trust amongst friends. But come on! How stupid do you have to be to have pictures like this on your facepage?? Duh!

Kids will make mistakes and poor decisions, but they also need to realize the consequences of those mistakes. There is also guilt by association and kids that were not drinking should have avoided that situation if their claim is "you can't prove I was drinking" or "I didn't drink, I was just there"

Another question will be, whose house and where were the parents??

Of course there was one EP women that told Ch 5 the real story should have been about the new sheet of ice at the EP CC rather than the drinking story. Maybe we know where the kids get it from

EP just happened to be the first school caught up in this.

hockey_rocker

EP Story

Post by hockey_rocker » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:10 pm

Ok I have a simple rule when other players are at my home,I won't even have a beer around them myself. What if this were to happen: A few players are over visiting my daughter, I am busy working on some project, I ask my daughter to kindly grab me a beer from the fridge, she obliges, in the path of bringing it to me she walks behind her other friends who are taking a picture (Not realizing it). The next day it shows up on Facebook. Her in the backgound with a beer in her hand. Guilty? I think there may be some lawyers who might have a real good time with this EP situation. It is unfortunate but the bottom line is, especially student athletes, don't even be around the drinking, with other kids or parents.

Zamman

Re: EP Story

Post by Zamman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:27 pm

hockey_rocker wrote:Ok I have a simple rule when other players are at my home,I won't even have a beer around them myself. What if this were to happen: A few players are over visiting my daughter, I am busy working on some project, I ask my daughter to kindly grab me a beer from the fridge, she obliges, in the path of bringing it to me she walks behind her other friends who are taking a picture (Not realizing it). The next day it shows up on Facebook. Her in the backgound with a beer in her hand. Guilty? I think there may be some lawyers who might have a real good time with this EP situation. It is unfortunate but the bottom line is, especially student athletes, don't even be around the drinking, with other kids or parents.
First of all I want to say I too drank in High School and if I got caught I serve the time for the crime. No excuses...
If you are using your kids as waitresses and waiters, get up off the chair and get it your self. In todays world there are cameras everywhere taking pictures of everyone doing everything and not doing anything except getting caught off guard. Best practice to all the kids on this site "WAIT TILL YOU ARE LEGAL, YOU WILL HAVE YOUR WHOLE LIFE TO DRINK. IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY AND A LOT OF TIMES YOU FEEL LIKE CRAP. USE HIGH SCHOOL FOR FUN AND PLAYING THE SPORTS AND ACTIVITIES". Sorry EP, you guys got caught and now you need to serve the time. Maybe more kids will think twice now..... No more preaching...

startsinthenet

Post by startsinthenet » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:31 pm

Hockey rocker you're dead on. I had the discussion with my daughter about the MySpace/FaceBook pages. I know she has one and she is expected to act responsibly. I put it to her this way back when she was in 5th grade. You are at an age where you begin to develop a reputation. Choose wisely - your friends and your actions. What the people around you do will lead to assumptions regarding your behavior and personality. Should you have a laps in judgement there will be consequences some of which may take a long time to overcome and some you may not even be guiltiy of other than associating with certain people at the wrong time. We have had this discussion quite often since then. I remember in 7th grade when she said to me: I had to make a decision and you were right because if I hadnt walked away it would have taken away everything I've worked so hard for. Made me feel pretty good that she understood that only she controls her behavior and seen the outcome if you make wrong choices. Kind of sappy, but I wish more people could or would relate to their kids as well. Not as a friend but as a parent. It takes time but it may help to not be involved in such a circumstance. Ok enough of this %8&*- Let's talk Hockey:o)

defensedad

Post by defensedad » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:38 pm

offsides wrote:
rmmaiv123,

Are you kidding? The avg. score for the last 7 EP/Chaska games is something like 7 to 0.5 goals. So EP may be missing a few kids. What makes you think the gap has been closed enough for Chaska to "have a good chance of beating them." Ridiculous. The long odds may have improved, but, they are still long.
Chaska does not have a chance of beating EP. Chaska does have a good team, but not the level of talent and depth that EP has. Lets do a hypothetical situation, Say EP loses #2, 9, 29( I have no idea who is suspended) vs losing #21, 25, 32. Chaska would have a lot better chance in the game with the first three gone, but we do not even know who they are missing so you can not say they will win. Even if the first 3 were out it would be a real tough game for Chaska. I would still bet my house on EP.

hockey_rocker

Post by hockey_rocker » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:37 pm

Hey Zam, I would get it myself, it was a fictious example of adult laziness costing the kid. Enough on the negative. Good luck to EP and to the kids who have to pick up the slack. They're pretty deep and I'm sure they'll still do well. I would think they will have no problem with Chaska.

g31

Post by g31 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:07 am

defensedad wrote:
offsides wrote:
rmmaiv123,

Chaska does not have a chance of beating EP. Chaska does have a good team, but not the level of talent and depth that EP has. Lets do a hypothetical situation, Say EP loses #2, 9, 29( I have no idea who is suspended) vs losing #21, 25, 32. Chaska would have a lot better chance in the game with the first three gone, but we do not even know who they are missing so you can not say they will win. Even if the first 3 were out it would be a real tough game for Chaska. I would still bet my house on EP.
I would be more worried about Eastview than Chaska. They are a team who could give EP a little trouble if they were missing a few of their stars.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:10 am

hockey_rocker wrote:I would think they will have no problem with Chaska.
EP's next game (Thursday night) is against Eastview, which has won 12 out of their last 13 games and 14-3 overall. Depending on who's missing for EP, Eastview could be tough.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:47 am

This StarTribune article in today's paper does a good job of looking at all sides of the issue:

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/13663951.html

SportsMa

Post by SportsMa » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:21 am

Ok, I will fully admit I am old fashioned but find it an upsetting trend that parents (and kids) shift blame and not expect their kids to live within the commitments made. Sports are not a right but a privilege. If your kid is drinking, gets caught~serve the consequence and learn from it. At our house, there would be a school consequence and a home consequence. Parents need to talk with their kids about all these important issues. Poor choices with alcohol can lead to very serious consequences.

Ok, off my soapbox!
:)