Eden Prairie: Student Walk Out to Athletic Fall Out

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

boblee

Eden Prairie: Student Walk Out to Athletic Fall Out

Post by boblee »

After the EP drinking/facebook scandal the EP students up and left today and performed a student walkout. How will this walk out affect their athletics? Obviously I am talking specifically about hockey...
offsides

Post by offsides »

Hey BOB,

There are 3300 students at EP. 40 walked out in protest. That's 0.012 percent. Hardly "the students up and left today." It As XK1 mentioned earlier, it would be best if facts are checked before posting on this subject.
eastsidehockey

Post by eastsidehockey »

most likely suspended boblee would be my guess.

If any of them are hockey players I think and feel they should be suspended.
boblee

post 9188

Post by boblee »

offsides wrote:Hey BOB,

There are 3300 students at EP. 40 walked out in protest. That's 0.012 percent. Hardly "the students up and left today." It As XK1 mentioned earlier, it would be best if facts are checked before posting on this subject.
What I mean here is of those students, some of which are likely athletes...what are the consequences of just getting up and leaving? Sorry if I seemed vague, and reading back, I probably did.
goalzilla

Post by goalzilla »

Regardless of what part of the student body these students come from (scholar, athlete, band, etc) disapline them all. Walking out is like trying to make 2 wrongs make a right. Kids today think they have all of these rights....(too much Oprah). Tell you what; when I was a kid (even today as an adult) if I did something like that I wasn't too worried about what punishment the school was going to dish out, I still had to go home and face my mom and dad. I can tell you this, I wasn't going to get a time-out, or a cup of Cocoa and a pat on the head. There was right and wrong and let me tell you I wasn't wrong too often.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

More than likely a slap on the wrist. The school will not stand their ground and I would guess the parents are saying they are proud of what the kids did. Times have changed since we were students. I too would have been burned big time by my parents. No accountability in the world anymore. It is always someone elses fault.
xk1

Post by xk1 »

Looks like they will only get suspensions and detention, no beatings or prison terms as some were hoping for. Not like the good old days, I remember getting kicked out for having hair too long, now I just wish I had hair, those were the days.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/13677002.html
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

xk1 wrote:Looks like they will only get suspensions and detention, no beatings or prison terms as some were hoping for.
Waterboarding probably would have been sufficient. :wink:
keepitreal

Post by keepitreal »

The story was on the front page of yahoo.com last night. Slow news day I guess.

I feel bad for any kids who may have been unfairly implicated if they were truly innocent, but I haven't heard any denials surface-- only that this is somehow an invasion of privacy by, it seems, "student activists" and wannabees who were not directly involved. Didn't exactly see any letter jackets in the videos of the walkout crowd, if you know what I mean. Unless "Goth" is now a varsity sport.

If kids are taking responsibility for their actions, good for them. Probably the best lesson they learned in school this week. And for the sports kids, a vivid reminder to HS athletes everywhere to understand their MSHSL responsibilities and avoid these situations.

Someday they'll be able to tell their kids how they were one of the infamous "EP 13" :lol:

As for the hockey team, it didn't seem to hurt them too badly on the ice: EP 5, Eastview 2
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

From today's StarTribune editorial page:

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/edit ... 89391.html
xk1

Post by xk1 »

Apparently the Strib is onto a theme here as they posted this...

http://www.startribune.com/13705931.html
theref

Post by theref »

xk1 wrote:Apparently the Strib is onto a theme here as they posted this...

I like this article and it points out a very good point. One parent would rather see the kids clean up the cafeteria for the rest of the school year, but no, we think it would be better to fine the kids.

This translates to paying money will get you out of trouble. I think the kids will learn nothing from this incident especially since most of the kids' parents will end up paying for the fine.

Another great line from the story "We take this foolishness pretty seriously" When should you ever take foolishness too seriously? I would think the school has bigger problems than a senior prank to worry about. Make the kids clean it up and move along.

Our country is becoming way too PC and restrictive. Think we all just need to lighten up a little bit and hey, this is coming from a referee!
eastsidehockey

Post by eastsidehockey »

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:26 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think who ever wrote this should win an award. I cant understand anyone supporting these students who not only broke MSHSL rules, but broke the law. I think it is a coaches job and administers job to inform students if they see drinking, especially athletes, the best thing to do is leave. I think it is time for these students to realize life is not fair and yes at times it will feel the whole world is against you. Stop making excuses and take the punishment.

Sorry I just cant "buy into" the fact these student athletes shouldn't face a suspension. I do believe 5 weeks is a bit harsh though ! I think a 2 week max
xk1

Post by xk1 »

rmmaiv123

Post by rmmaiv123 »

only 25 students left and 5 had passes
taz91

Post by taz91 »

I couldn't have said it any better. I coach softball and I tell our girls that they can't be at parties if there is any drinking or anything going on. Police aren't going to make a determination of who is drinking and who isn't. They will determine who is there and who isn't. I know the MSHSL rule is 2 weeks but there are some districts the do 3 weeks for the first punishment.

[quote="eastsidehockey"][quote] Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:26 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/quote]

I think who ever wrote this should win an award. I cant understand anyone supporting these students who not only broke MSHSL rules, but broke the law. I think it is a coaches job and administers job to inform students if they see drinking, especially athletes, the best thing to do is leave. I think it is time for these students to realize life is not fair and yes at times it will feel the whole world is against you. Stop making excuses and take the punishment.

Sorry I just cant "buy into" the fact these student athletes shouldn't face a suspension. I do believe 5 weeks is a bit harsh though ! I think a 2 week max[/quote]
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

EP school and parents and students are always boasting on how good there school is.
So just maybe it is the school trying to uphold its reputation of being a great school with high morals. I did not see the pics but from what I read it sounded like for every different picture on FB, there was extra time off given,
chickendance

Post by chickendance »

Every student athlete knows that there is pretty strict rules on chemicals and athletics. If you choose to participate then you play by the rules. We yell at refs for far less important outcomes.

The rule didn't get violated when they got caught it was violated when they walked into the party and participated, or didn't leave. The school and the MSHSL didn't make that choice for them.

If one of these kids would have ran into someone on the way home we wouldn't be worrying about their eligibility or how long the suspension was.
trojangoalie241

Post by trojangoalie241 »

[quote="taz91"] I know the MSHSL rule is 2 weeks but there are some districts the do 3 weeks for the first punishment.

the MSHSL rule is 2 weeks OR 2 games, whichever is longest. so some kids could end up serving 3 weeks just based on that rule and more from their school district.
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

there was a player locally last year that had to sit 5 games for a first offense. the unfortunate thing is that players additude has not changed much they still think they are above everyone else.
SportsMa

Post by SportsMa »

Eden Prairie student 'victims' need a course in remedial logic

http://www.startribune.com/local/13723546.html
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

theref wrote:
xk1 wrote:Apparently the Strib is onto a theme here as they posted this...

I like this article and it points out a very good point. One parent would rather see the kids clean up the cafeteria for the rest of the school year, but no, we think it would be better to fine the kids.

This translates to paying money will get you out of trouble. I think the kids will learn nothing from this incident especially since most of the kids' parents will end up paying for the fine.

Another great line from the story "We take this foolishness pretty seriously" When should you ever take foolishness too seriously? I would think the school has bigger problems than a senior prank to worry about. Make the kids clean it up and move along.

Our country is becoming way too PC and restrictive. Think we all just need to lighten up a little bit and hey, this is coming from a referee!
You nailed it! Wonderful post
SEhockeyDAD

consequences

Post by SEhockeyDAD »

eastsidehockey wrote:Sorry I just cant "buy into" the fact these student athletes shouldn't face a suspension. I do believe 5 weeks is a bit harsh though ! I think a 2 week max
These kids should be glad they don't go by Rochester rules. The Rochester school district doesn't fool around; first offense is half the season. If you think about it, MSHSL rules (2 weeks first offense?) is pretty light, depending on the timing of the incident. Sure, no one wants to be suspended for even 2 weeks, but what kids so young have a hard time realizing is that once they come of age, the consequences become much more impactful. Once they have to pay auto insurance with a drinking incident on their record, it gets real in a hurry.
Hux

Re: consequences

Post by Hux »

These kids should be glad they don't go by Rochester rules. The Rochester school district doesn't fool around; first offense is half the season. If you think about it, MSHSL rules (2 weeks first offense?) is pretty light, depending on the timing of the incident. Sure, no one wants to be suspended for even 2 weeks, but what kids so young have a hard time realizing is that once they come of age, the consequences become much more impactful. Once they have to pay auto insurance with a drinking incident on their record, it gets real in a hurry.
I'd say that, given the potential consequences, all of these punishments are pretty light. I know a high school football coach who, after several incidents over several years, instituted a Zero Tolerance policy. You drink, you are done. See ya, bye bye.

All of the players, parents and school administrators sign off on it prior to the season, and the real kicker is that it isn't just for one season...it is permanent. If you drink, your football days are done. Since it was put in about 10 years ago I think there have been less than five kids given the boot, and those mostly came back in the first year or two. It certainly sends a message of true accountability. Something that seems to be lacking in society these days.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Hill Murray has this zero tolerance policy - One and you are out of hockey - no appeal.

I think Cretin Derham Hall also has it but not sure.