Iron Range girls drop the gloves; cops on the case!

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

gohome

Post by gohome »

this is kinda neat..
first of all did the I-falls girls fight and the Moose lake girls just stand there? I thought the last time I saw a fight both sides normally fight. :shock:
OK so the ref's did not call any penalties, --- so that means??? that everything is ok. but if the ref calls a penalty -- it is illegal??
I read some posts that say fighting is part of hockey. I must be missing those chapters in the books i have read. I guess the rules also dont say anything about using guns and knives, pepper spray or any other objects so it is ok to use them??? HERE IS YOUR SIGN !!!! IF YOU CANT FIGHT OFF THE ICE, WHY WOULD YOU THINK, OR SHOULD YOU THINK IT IS ACCEPTABLE ON THE ICE??? If kids fight in school, at the mall, in the street or at the rink in the locker rooms do the police get involved? and there is no difference.
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

hockeya1a wrote:Let's get Judge Judy to rule over this one :lol:
Now that might be an episode to watch. More than likely, it would turn into the Jerry Springer show and we would see an actual fight - and probably amongst the parents.

Hey, maybe pay-per-view??
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

gohome wrote:this is kinda neat..
first of all did the I-falls girls fight and the Moose lake girls just stand there? I thought the last time I saw a fight both sides normally fight. :shock:
OK so the ref's did not call any penalties, --- so that means??? that everything is ok. but if the ref calls a penalty -- it is illegal??
I read some posts that say fighting is part of hockey. I must be missing those chapters in the books i have read. I guess the rules also dont say anything about using guns and knives, pepper spray or any other objects so it is ok to use them??? HERE IS YOUR SIGN !!!! IF YOU CANT FIGHT OFF THE ICE, WHY WOULD YOU THINK, OR SHOULD YOU THINK IT IS ACCEPTABLE ON THE ICE??? If kids fight in school, at the mall, in the street or at the rink in the locker rooms do the police get involved? and there is no difference.
grab the guitar - time for kum bye ya

:P :P :P :lol: ....just teasing you.
eastsidehockey

Post by eastsidehockey »

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:17 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a kid on my peewee b team a long time ago broke his back, he can NEVER play hockey again. he can walk, but he is missing vertebrate so he cant play. No criminal charges were pressed, because you know there is the POTENTIAL to get hurt in a contact sport, girls or boys hockey, it is going to happen some time.

like i said before, these parents are taking this way to far. if the parents are reading this. who gave you permission to breed? seriously, you must be stupid, did you not think one time "wow, i am extremely stupid, i should not make babies" at one point in your life? no im guessing you didnt because you have to small of a brain!

ITS NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL PARENTS. NO ONE CARES. wow. Fracking morons i tell you. USA is going down the drain as we know it because of these stupid people.
Wow, does someone need a timeout or a counselor? :lol: :lol:

Was your player checked, legally or ilegally? was he punched?

You seen criminal charges against a PROFESSIONAL NHL hockey player for punching someone in the head, unless you have been under a rock.

I am neither an Ifalls or Moose Lake fan but there is no room for PUNCHING in this game at the high school level. there is a difference if your playing the game between whistles and someone gets hurt than after the whistle and someone gets hurt. whoever threw punches should be suspended from both teams. Because of the seriousness of this incident what is the big deal about looking "into it". Doubt anything will happen but IF GIRLS ARE AWARE AND PARENTS ARE AWARE of what is going to happen if you want to be a boxer on the ice at least we can walk away from that knowing PUNCHING is an issue and should not be tolerated.
Thunderbird77

Post by Thunderbird77 »

Let's set the recoed straight. Throwing punches, like kicking with your skate blades or checking from behind are penalties. Of the three, I think kicking and checking from behind more severe, but that is just me.

At issue is what is the best solution for addressing the root cause of the situation?

There are several other ways this could have been addressed.

1. Improve referreeing so that they have better control of the game and call every punching penalty.

2. Change the penalty rules so that a game is stopped if the game gets out of hand.

3. Have each girl sign a pledge at the beginning of the season not to throw punches and mandate that schools impose a penalty (like they do with drinking) for violating it.

4. Have every girl on the I-Falls team write an apology note to the girl that was hurt.

The list could go on. To be clear, I am personally NOT in favor of any of the above, but they would be more productive than the action that was taken.

Calling for a criminal investigation against a group of MINORS for something that happened in a high school hockey game where no penalty was even called -- doesn't stop a repeat of what happened. It only causes further damage. The father that called for the investigation has done somerhing far worse that what happened in the arena that night. Now that he has had a chance to calm down, it would be the right thing for him to do to put a stop to this insanity and apologize.
Media

say it isnt so its happened before

Post by Media »

Story Tools: E-MAIL | PRINT | Text Size: S M L XL | REPORT TYPO | SEND YOUR FEEDBACK
Injured hockey player wants tougher coaching
Last Updated: Monday, July 17, 2006 | 10:24 AM AT
CBC News
A New Brunswick teenager who was hospitalized after a hockey check wants to see changes when she returns to the ice this fall.

Marie-Claude Bernard, 15, of Eel River Crossing spent two weeks in intensive care this April with a lacerated spleen after being cross-checked by an 18-year-old player from Shippagan.

The cross-check came seconds after Bernard scored the game-winning goal in a championship match between the girls high school hockey teams from Dalhousie and Shippagan.

Bernard, who has recently started back at her part-time job as a cashier, is under strict orders to rest and take care of herself. "For the past four months, I could not do sports or anything, not [even] lifting weights," she said.

Bernard says she might not have been hurt if coaches were more strict with their players. She says violence on the ice is too common in high school leagues and it's up to the team's adult leaders to clean up the game.

She says coaches need to give clear messages to their players and bench them if they play too rough. "You have to have discipline in your coaching," she said.

New Brunswick's Interscholastic Athletic Association governs high school sports and insists it is tough on rough play.

Continue Article

Hockey commissioner Leroy Washburn said coaches began tallying player penalties last year. After five major fouls, he said, players are out for five matches. And he said fights during hockey games will not be tolerated.

"If you fight in a high school hockey game, you miss the next three games," he said. "If you fight twice, you miss the next five games. If you fight three times, you miss the rest of the season."

RCMP are still considering the possibility of assault charges against the Shippagan player, and Bernard's parents are contemplating a civil suit.
chickendance

Post by chickendance »

please make the headache stop
hockeyon

Accountable

Post by hockeyon »

The question I have is who should be held accountable?
It has to start somewhere when kids are getting hurt because of illegal offenses.

We all know there are laws and rules in place to protect us. Why should it be any different in sports. If the rules are broken you are punished and held accountable.

I am sure the parents want things to change and sometimes you have to go to the extreme for that to take place. Isn't that sad.

The other question who should pay the medical bills?

Put their shoes on your feet and think about it from the point of view of the parents of a injured child, not what sport she was playing.
theref

Post by theref »

The only thing I don't really care for in this whole story is the emphasis on how bad one team was vs. the other. It seems that I. Falls did everything and Moose Lake just stood there. I think it's very unfortunate that someone got hurt and as much as we'd like to, referees cannot see every little thing. But I find it very hard to believe that Moose Lake was not throwing punches back if the Falls players were.
GivinYaTheBusiness

Post by GivinYaTheBusiness »

I talked to a girl on the team, and she said that they were scrapping around for the last 10 minutes of the game. It just ended at this point and it's terrible that it did end that way, but it did. There's no way that the Falls girls were just beating the hell out of the other team with no rebuddle. Unfortunately (for some reason or another) there's no video tape so we'll never know what actually happened. But this will make it very hard for our out of control hockey from Moose Lake to make a case that their little angel wasn't at fault at all.
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

From todays Star and tribune,

Police are investigating a fight that took place at a girls' hockey game. Girls' hockey does not allow checking, but punching must be OK.

At a Jan. 26 game between International Falls and Moose Lake-Willow River, a player from Moose Lake-Willow River was left temporarily paralyzed and suffered a concussion. The injured player, who was airlifted to a Duluth hospital, has returned to her team.

No videotape of the game has been found. But Tim Franklin, publisher of the Pine County Courier, was there and wrote about what he saw:

"After the buzzer sounded, I saw an International Falls girl pummel a Moose Lake player with her face down on the ice at least 10 times. Left after left after left. The girl was motionless. The referees stepped in and the girl remained motionless. Thirty minutes later she was still motionless.

"... Was this an intense game the last 10 seconds I just witnessed or an assault? I never thought I would say assaults can happen in games, since contact is part of games. But when a player strikes a motionless opponent after the whistle stops, does this qualify? Only time will tell. All I know is I want to see a game where kids play it to have fun and parents cheer on their kids and thank the coaches."

That's not asking too much, is it?

John Millea • jmillea@startribune.com
hockeychick626

Post by hockeychick626 »

--I was at the game and from what i saw it was just a team cahrging the net and other trying to defend their net...
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

So what ever happened to the investigation? Did anything become of it?
cajones18

Post by cajones18 »

You know this is just dumb.. Every kids parents know that having there kid in a sport could endanger their kids lives, and also that they could be hurt. It's a hockey game, people get injured. If that girl hadn't been paralyzed for like a day or whatever it was, this "investigation" wouldn't be going on. Fights happen. People get hurt. Sports are sports. Just let it go.
PRIVATE SCHOOLS RECRUIT!!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

cajones18 wrote:You know this is just dumb.. Every kids parents know that having there kid in a sport could endanger their kids lives, and also that they could be hurt. It's a hockey game, people get injured. If that girl hadn't been paralyzed for like a day or whatever it was, this "investigation" wouldn't be going on. Fights happen. People get hurt. Sports are sports. Just let it go.
Sure there is risk of injury in sports but that doesn't mean you don't take reasonable steps to reduce the risk. Driving a vehicle also involves risk, but that doesn't mean everyone just walks away and you forget about everything after a serious accident. In hockey there are rules that are designed to minimize the chance of suffering injuries and players wear protective equipment to do the same, just like there are traffic rules and safety features designed into automobiles. Yes, injuries in both sports and driving still happen, but that doesn't mean you don't try to prevent them. Even in the NHL you have investigatations when there are serious injuries caused by flagrant violations of the rules.
cajones18

Post by cajones18 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
cajones18 wrote:You know this is just dumb.. Every kids parents know that having there kid in a sport could endanger their kids lives, and also that they could be hurt. It's a hockey game, people get injured. If that girl hadn't been paralyzed for like a day or whatever it was, this "investigation" wouldn't be going on. Fights happen. People get hurt. Sports are sports. Just let it go.
Sure there is risk of injury in sports but that doesn't mean you don't take reasonable steps to reduce the risk. Driving a vehicle also involves risk, but that doesn't mean everyone just walks away and you forget about everything after a serious accident. In hockey there are rules that are designed to minimize the chance of suffering injuries and players wear protective equipment to do the same, just like there are traffic rules and safety features designed into automobiles. Yes, injuries in both sports and driving still happen, but that doesn't mean you don't try to prevent them. Even in the NHL you have investigatations when there are serious injuries caused by flagrant violations of the rules.
Yeah violations like Marty McSorely when he took a baseball swing at Brashere's head causing Brashere's helmet to fall off and hit his head on the ice.
And also Todd Bertuzzi when he sucker punched a guy from the Avalanche.
Those are real incedents! Not a little scrum in front of the net.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

cajones18 wrote:Yeah violations like Marty McSorely when he took a baseball swing at Brashere's head causing Brashere's helmet to fall off and hit his head on the ice.
Well the ALLEGATION was that one player punched another player multiple times when the other player was down, face first on the ice and defenseless. Unfortunately, there was no video replay (like you have in the NHL) to quickly review if this was what really happened. So the incident was at least worthy of an investigation. If the ALLEGATION proves what supposedly happened to be untrue, then there is no harm to anyone and you just move on.

Apparently there has been no further word on the result of the investigation, so presumably the offending player was found to be innocent and the eyewitness account that alleged this proved to be inaccurate.
cajones18

Post by cajones18 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
cajones18 wrote:Yeah violations like Marty McSorely when he took a baseball swing at Brashere's head causing Brashere's helmet to fall off and hit his head on the ice.
Well the ALLEGATION was that one player punched another player multiple times when the other player was down, face first on the ice and defenseless. Unfortunately, there was no video replay (like you have in the NHL) to quickly review if this was what really happened. So the incident was at least worthy of an investigation. If the ALLEGATION proves what supposedly happened to be untrue, then there is no harm to anyone and you just move on.

Hence that it's hockey and this kinda stuff happens. End of story!

Apparently there has been no further word on the result of the investigation, so presumably the offending player was found to be innocent and the eyewitness account that alleged this proved to be inaccurate.