2009-10 Div 1 Commitments

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

keepitreal

2009-10 Div 1 Commitments

Post by keepitreal » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:09 am

The following Minnesota players have made Division 1 hockey commitments for the 2009-10 season. Post news here and I'll keep the list updated. NEW updates in red

Congratulations to the athletes--

Bemidji State University*
Sadie Lundquist........F........Cloquet/Esko/Carlton HS
Erika Wheelhouse.....D........Crookston HS

Dartmouth College
Lisa Berremen...........D..........Eagan HS
Sally Komarek...........F..........The Blake School

Harvard University
Laura Bellamy............G........Duluth Northern Stars
Margaret Chute..........F..........The Blake School
Hilary Hayssen..........D...........The Blake School
Kelsey Romatoski.......D.........Academy of Holy Angels

Mercyhurst College
Jessica Christofferson........F.......Bemidji HS

Providence University
Nicole Anderson..........F.............Shakopee HS

University of Minnesota (*denotes confirmed by the school)
Rebecca Kortum......F......Hopkins HS*
Katie Frischmann......D.....Minnesota Thoroughbreds (Rochester Century HS)
Samantha Downey......F........Proctor/Hermantown/Marshall

University of Minnesota Duluth
Gina Dodge......F......Duluth Northern Stars

Minnesota State University*
Lauren Zrust........F.........Blaine HS
Erika Magnusson.......D........Fergus Falls HS

University of North Dakota*
Mary Loken..........F.............Roseau HS

St. Cloud State University*
Callie Dahl............F......Stillwater HS
Kylie Lane............F......Roseau HS
Lisa Martinson......D......St Louis Park HS
Alex Nelson..........F......Andover HS
Haylea Schmid......F......St. Francis HS

----
Also:

University of Wisconsin*
Brianna Decker (Dousman, WI)..........F..........Shattuck St. Mary's

University of North Dakota
Ali Parizek (Minot, ND).......F.......Minnesota Crunch

Total Minnesota high school commitments to date (2/19) = 22 8)

*commitments confirmed by the school
Last edited by keepitreal on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 26 times in total.

joehockey

Post by joehockey » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:47 am

From the other thread - who is the other St Cloud recruit - who is the 1 to Ivy?

itsjustasport
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:47 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...There are at least 5 local girls who are going to be seniors who have already committed: 1 in January (Gophers), 1 in May (Ivy), and 3 in July (St. Cloud State); and many more in process . . . and this is still very, very early.

keepitreal

Post by keepitreal » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:11 pm

joehockey wrote:From the other thread - who is the other St Cloud recruit - who is the 1 to Ivy?

itsjustasport
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:47 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...There are at least 5 local girls who are going to be seniors who have already committed: 1 in January (Gophers), 1 in May (Ivy), and 3 in July (St. Cloud State); and many more in process . . . and this is still very, very early.
Heard a reliable rumor on one of these at a tournament, but out of respect for the player and her family, will not repeat until it's confirmed.

hshockeyfan91

I'm confused...

Post by hshockeyfan91 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:48 pm

I think I know a few other girls that have committed but I'm really confused by the comment "but out of respect for the player and her family, will not repeat until it's confirmed." Does that mean that only the player or her family should post something out here? I didn't know that was the standard. So, help me out, what is the standard for posting a committment here?

boblee

post 10472

Post by boblee » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:23 am

hshockeyfan91 wrote:I think I know a few other girls that have committed but I'm really confused by the comment "but out of respect for the player and her family, will not repeat until it's confirmed." Does that mean that only the player or her family should post something out here? I didn't know that was the standard. So, help me out, what is the standard for posting a committment here?
Depends who you ask...

-The guy's forum would say that if you heard from a reliable source, or if you were told personally, post away.

-The girl's forum would say that you should wait until an official announcement has been made by the school, the family, and/or a newspaper.

Thunderbird77

Post by Thunderbird77 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:40 am

So, what if the player told your daughter and your daughter told you. Can any teenager be considered a reliable source?

What constitutes a family announcement?

keepitreal

Post by keepitreal » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:22 am

Thunderbird77 wrote:So, what if the player told your daughter and your daughter told you. Can any teenager be considered a reliable source?

What constitutes a family announcement?
How much do you trust your daughter? :lol:

I think it's perfectly acceptable to post information that's been made public by the player or her parents, but out of respect I don't repeat third party information until I know fairly directly that it's accurate. My second hand information source is limited to my daughter who must also hear it directly from the player. But that's just me.

brookyone

Re: post 10472

Post by brookyone » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:34 pm

boblee wrote:-The girl's forum would say that you should wait until an official announcement has been made by the school, the family, and/or a newspaper.
Not every member of the girl's high school hockey forum would say as much. I've passed along commitment info when I've heard it from players, coaches, parents, teammates and others I know to be very reliable sources...which is the key. If it's from any of the aforementioned sources, I feel you can safely assume the info originated with the player in question. If the player hadn't informed someone of their decision...there would be no such information. I don't see it as disrespectful to post commitment info under those circumstances. I won't post anything heard from a source I'm unfamiliar with.

If a player doesn't want their commitment known publicly prior to an official announcement by the program, I certainly respect that preference.

My gut feeling is some like to treat it as "privileged" information for their own personal reasons. If one is unwilling to publicly post commitment information they are aware of...best not to post they possess that information IMO.

It's only the true fans of girl's / women's hockey that are genuinely interested in the news. As buyers of tickets and long time supporters of both girl's high school and women's college hockey, they have a vested interest in commitment news that is completely without any nefarious origin (as I've seen a few, including a parent or two imply) and aren't to be faulted for their interest in my view. The true fans enjoy hearing of the successes of the players via division I commitment news. I'd sincerely think most players would be appreciative of and grateful for the fans enthusiasm and interest. Maybe not all.

boblee

post 10474

Post by boblee » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:33 pm

brookyone wrote:
boblee wrote:-The girl's forum would say that you should wait until an official announcement has been made by the school, the family, and/or a newspaper.
Not every member of the girl's high school hockey forum would say as much. I've passed along commitment info when I've heard it from players, coaches, parents, teammates and others I know to be very reliable sources...which is the key. If it's from any of the aforementioned sources, I feel you can safely assume the info originated with the player in question. If the player hadn't informed someone of their decision...there would be no such information. I don't see it as disrespectful to post commitment info under those circumstances. I won't post anything heard from a source I'm unfamiliar with.

If a player doesn't want their commitment known publicly prior to an official announcement by the program, I certainly respect that preference.

My gut feeling is some like to treat it as "privileged" information for their own personal reasons. If one is unwilling to publicly post commitment information they are aware of...best not to post they possess that information IMO.

It's only the true fans of girl's / women's hockey that are genuinely interested in the news. As buyers of tickets and long time supporters of both girl's high school and women's college hockey, they have a vested interest in commitment news that is completely without any nefarious origin (as I've seen a few, including a parent or two imply) and aren't to be faulted for their interest in my view. The true fans enjoy hearing of the successes of the players via division I commitment news. I'd sincerely think most players would be appreciative of and grateful for the fans enthusiasm and interest. Maybe not all.
I wasn't trying to say that everyone in the girl's forum acts a certain way or everyone in the boy's forum acts a certain way. I was just saying as a general outlook, those are some rough guidelines just from what I see. I think it is good to make sure the information holds water before it is posted.

Moreover, I think this forum is a great place to post things such as DI committments and even DIII attendees. I am all for it. It is a great thing to get that information out.

Stinkin Rootbeer

Post by Stinkin Rootbeer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:02 pm

St Cloud Times reports that Kylie Lane of Roseau and Callie Dahl of Stillwater have verbally committed to St Cloud State

Lane choose SCSU over Bemidji State and University of North Dakota

Dahl picked SCSU over Ohio State

brookyone

Post by brookyone » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:20 pm

Stinkin Rootbeer wrote:St Cloud Times reports that Kylie Lane of Roseau and Callie Dahl of Stillwater have verbally committed to St Cloud State

Thanks for the heads up. Congrats to both!

Now CD can focus all her attention on a SEC title and 4AA berth. :wink:

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:08 pm

Stinkin Rootbeer wrote:St Cloud Times reports that Kylie Lane of Roseau and Callie Dahl of Stillwater have verbally committed to St Cloud State

With these committments, coupled with the previous announcements, SCSU appears to have landed some of the best '91's available in this State.

joehockey

Post by joehockey » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:09 am

College Board has:

Dartmouth College
F Sally - MN USA Blake School

Wisconsin
F Brianna Decker Shattuck St. Marys

brookyone

Post by brookyone » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:18 pm

joehockey wrote:College Board has:

Dartmouth College
F Sally Komarek :wink: - MN USA Blake School

Wisconsin
As always...Mark Johnson building an excellent class.

joehockey

Post by joehockey » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:23 pm

brookyone wrote:
joehockey wrote:College Board has:

Dartmouth College
F Sally Komarek :wink: - MN USA Blake School

Wisconsin
As always...Mark Johnson building an excellent class.
He has a lot to offer and in Decker's case it is a chance to play at home!

brookyone

Post by brookyone » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:18 pm

joehockey wrote:He has a lot to offer and in Decker's case it is a chance to play at home!
Absolutely. His recruiting success tho...I'll confess, in the past has kinda dumbfounded me (still does). He's getting so many blue chippers, the types of players every...or at least many D-I coaches pursue, by which I mean players you can be well assured are getting sweet scholarship offers...but so many of them pick UW...it's as if he has twice as many scholarships to offer, which of course he doesn't. I don't know how he does it. Spreads it around wisely I guess. Obviously at least some of those players just want to play for MJ, perhaps for the National Team connection. My guess he's player friendly...a good guy to play for. I've heard as much.

I just hope Amanda K feels differently when the time comes. :wink:

Hux

Post by Hux » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:52 pm

brookyone wrote:
joehockey wrote:He has a lot to offer and in Decker's case it is a chance to play at home!
Absolutely. His recruiting success tho...I'll confess, in the past has kinda dumbfounded me (still does). He's getting so many blue chippers, the types of players every...or at least many D-I coaches pursue, by which I mean players you can be well assured are getting sweet scholarship offers...but so many of them pick UW...it's as if he has twice as many scholarships to offer, which of course he doesn't. I don't know how he does it. Spreads it around wisely I guess. Obviously at least some of those players just want to play for MJ, perhaps for the National Team connection. My guess he's player friendly...a good guy to play for. I've heard as much.

I just hope Amanda K feels differently when the time comes. :wink:
I think a lot of it has to do with his personality, and coaching style, which goes over well with the girls. It is also a big boost to be involved with the National teams, which along with the exposure, allows the players an opportunity to experience his coaching first hand.

joehockey

Post by joehockey » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Hey being a guy who grew up in MadTown and attended the Univeristy I think there are a lot of things they have tangible and intangible. Mark is a kid who grew up in Madison, starred at UW, Olympics, 13 years in NHL, mens coach, in a short time got the Womens program 2 Championships and a son playing at UW - kinda one of those no brag just fact. What I also hear and like is he is following his Dad and really helping build girls youth hockey - his Dad brought youth hockey to the State and went everywhere promoting the greatest game - he has daughters who are like 11 and 13 who are going to be very good. Few other things you notice when you go to Madison.....

1) UW Sports are everything in Madison and only second to the Packers on a WI statewide basis
2) The University has really become and elite place of study & it has still maintained its fun night life reputation. And if you ever attend a UW home football game you realize this is a special place like none you have ever seen.....
3) UW Womens Hockey has led the nation in attendance the last two or three years.
4) Every kid who has watched Miracle knows Mark Johnson the player
5) Watch one session of his coaching - like this summer and everyone of the girls at OS Prospect were having fun and energized before and after. I think he does the same thing at the National Camps and has an advantage with U18 team and the Olympic team if named.
6) He learned from his Dad and is a very positive energetic guy - the constant state of affairs....."It is a Great Day for Hockey".......always....he works with what a player has and slowly works on their shortcomings but in a positive way and like his Dad stretchs what a player and team can achieve each day - this worked for the Hawk with men at the UW but maybe even a more effective style with Women.
6) They are working on a new hockey center next to the Kohls Center that will be a men's practice facility and the Women's home with 4,300 some seats.
7) Kessel may be tough....Mark and her Dad Phil have been lifetime friends and HS buddies - but then again she could follow her brother to U of M or go east to Harvard.

All said competition is good Frost has really done some neat things this summer with the U of M and the girls in MN are really enjoying getting to know him - his two new coaches should be a big help - he still has the upper hand with facitilities.

So all in all Wisconsin has become a force in a short time but Minnesota, Ohio State and others brought in great classes this year and UMD is the defending Cahmpion should be a great competitive future for Womens hockey.

Sorry I know this is the MN Forum just got carried away......

GivinYaTheBusiness

Post by GivinYaTheBusiness » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:49 am

Sadie Lundquist--Bemidji State University

joehockey

Post by joehockey » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:58 am

Great NDP talent and super person - great addition to Bemidji!!

joehockey

Post by joehockey » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:18 pm

From Hux

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=78395&page=7

Player....................Position...............( Current Team).......................Hometown

(Based on reliable info, but to paraphrase Yogi, "It ain't official 'til it's official.")
* Denotes commitments are official, as announced by the school

Bemidji State
Sadie Lundquist...............F......................... (CEC)................................Cloquet, MN

Boston College
Blake Bolden....................D...............(USA 18s/Northwood).......................Stow, OH
Corinne Boyles.................G..................(Chicago Mission).......................Wheaton, IL
Dru Burns........................D.................... ....(SSM)..........................Sweetwater, TX
Ashley Motherwell............F.................(USA 18s/Lawrence)..................St. Charles, IL
Caitlin Walsh...................F........................( Rivers)...............................Franklin, MA

Boston University
Jill Cardella......................F................... .....(NAHA)............................Rochester, NY
Alissa Fromkin..................G..................(Phill ips Andover)....................Manhasset, NY

Brown

Clarkson
Danielle Skirrow................F................(Durham Lightning).......................Trenton, ON

Colgate

Connecticut

Cornell

Dartmouth
Sally Komarek................F.........................( Blake)...........................N. Plymouth, MN

Harvard

Maine

Mercyhurst
Stephanie DeSutter.....................................(Culv er)..............................Aylmer, ON
Kelci Lanthier..................G..................(Wash ington Pride)..................Mount Airy, MD

Minnesota
Megan Bozek..................D..............(USA 18s/Chicago Mission)..........Buffalo Grove, IL
Rebecca Kortum..............F.........................(Hop kins)..........................Wayzata, MN

Minnesota - Duluth
Audrey B-Cournoyer.........F..................(CDN 18s/Dawson).....................Montreal, QC

Minnesota State

New Hampshire
Kristine Horn...................F.......................... (SSM)...............................Madison, WI

Niagara

North Dakota

Northeastern
Casie Fields....................D...................(Chi cago Mission)................Buffalo Grove, IL

Ohio State
Paige Semenza................F.........................( NAHA)..............................Pittston, PA

Princeton

Providence

Quinnipiac
Carleah Angeles................D....................(LA Selects).........................San Jose, CA

RMU

RPI

Sacred Heart

St. Cloud State
Callie Dahl......................F.............(Stillwate r High School)...................Stillwater, MN
Kylie Lane......................F..............(Roseau High School)........................Roseau, MN
Lisa Martinson................D...................(St. Louis Park)..................St. Louis Park, MN
Alex Nelson....................F....................... (Andover).............................Andover, MN

St. Lawrence

Syracuse

Union

Vermont

Wayne State

Wisconsin
Brianna Decker..................F................(USA 18s/SSM)............................Dousman, WI
Alev Kelter.......................D................(USA 18s/SSM)..........................Eagle River, AK
Derya Kelter.....................F....................(C hugiak)..............................Eagle River, AK
Rebecca Ruegsegger..........G................(USA 18s/SSM)...........................Lakewood, CO

Yale

USA 24: Minnesota 7; Illinois 4; Alaska, New York, and Wisconsin 2 each; California, Colorado, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Massachusetts, Texas and 1 each

CANADA 3: Ontario 2; Quebec 1

Hux

Post by Hux » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:33 pm

joehockey wrote: 7) Kessel may be tough....Mark and her Dad Phil have been lifetime friends and HS buddies - but then again she could follow her brother to U of M or go east to Harvard.
Word is that she has interest in UNH, where her brother is currently playing.

brookyone

Post by brookyone » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:21 pm

Hux wrote:Word is that she has interest in UNH, where her brother is currently playing.
In that event, let's hope she's comfortable with the profanity laced tirades and a "style" more akin to men's athletics...of coach M

Hux

Post by Hux » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:23 am

brookyone wrote:
Hux wrote:Word is that she has interest in UNH, where her brother is currently playing.
In that event, let's hope she's comfortable with the profanity laced tirades and a "style" more akin to men's athletics...of coach M
Well, that tended to happen when certain individuals preferred not to fully exert themselves to the intensity expected of them in practice, nor grasp the concept and purpose of the drills...after many repetitions.

brookyone

Post by brookyone » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Hux wrote:Well, that tended to happen when certain individuals preferred not to fully exert themselves to the intensity expected of them in practice, nor grasp the concept and purpose of the drills...after many repetitions.
No doubt, but from what I've heard...not an infrequent occurrence either, to put it mildly. Wasn't it the direct cause of some of the transfers out this past off-season? That's also something I was told anyway.

That style isn't going to grate on all players of course, but it will likely always bother...and just not work with some.