Section 7AA

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win Section 7AA

Duluth
22%
Grand Rapids
35%
Forest Lake
6%
Proctor/Herm./Marsh
24%
Chisago Lakes
No votes
St. Francis/NB
No votes
Cloquet
12%
Cambridge
2%

Total votes: 51

titleist

Post by titleist »

nmnhockeydad wrote:
laker9 wrote:Hey, nmhockeydad. I assume your latest post is a shot at Ms Downey and/or PHM. I would expect some of this but not from people with any common sense. As a general rule I find nothing worse than people expressing opinions about things they have absolutely no knowledge of. I would ask that, unless you have concrete information, you refrain from making such idiotic accusations. If you took the time to research you would learn that any rumors of recruiting are just that, rumors. There is 0 truth to it.
Where is Molly Arola from. Walker?
You should probably keep all of your inaccurate accusations to yourself.
Where did you get anything about Downey from my post? It was a lighthearted jab at Titlest for a post about recruiting hard. You know what they say about assuming anything.
And I just like poking fun at the GRG boys for having the largest area in the state of MN to pick players from. Is that a crime or a stroke of luck?
BigTen

Post by BigTen »

Wow! I just looked at the new rankings out by Lets Play Hockey and PHM is ranked 11 while Irondale is ranked 10 although PHM defeated Irondale 7-2 at Irondale's home rink.

I see by checking the stats of PHM's games that 2 sophmore goalies have been splitting time so far. Was wondering if the senior goalie is injured. Nice job so far they are 3-0 against good competition.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

BigTen wrote:Wow! I just looked at the new rankings out by Lets Play Hockey and PHM is ranked 11 while Irondale is ranked 10 although PHM defeated Irondale 7-2 at Irondale's home rink.

I see by checking the stats of PHM's games that 2 sophmore goalies have been splitting time so far. Was wondering if the senior goalie is injured. Nice job so far they are 3-0 against good competition.
I thought that P/H/DM was underranked most of last year too, they obviously have some girls who can play. In boys hockey both Hermantown and Duluth Marshall have great traditions in Class A - maybe someday the girls can strike it out on their own and compete for the Class A championship.
conehead

Post by conehead »

When did PHM co-op with Silver Bay? Apparently Downey is saving gas money by staying at teammates cabin.
~hockeygirl~

Post by ~hockeygirl~ »

I heard Downey moved down there
conehead

Post by conehead »

Moved.............. or "conveniently moved" till graduation. time will tell.
goalie01

Post by goalie01 »

From what i have heard PHM's senior goalie is recovering from a knee surgery and Downey's entire family moved
conehead

Post by conehead »

Interesting article in the duluth paper this morning....wonder why dad wouldn't comment, perhaps he was at HOME in Silver Bay

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... /id/79367/
~hockeygirl~

Post by ~hockeygirl~ »

Ya... but i think PHM is gonna be a good team this year, so is Rapids
goalie01

Post by goalie01 »

conehead... what is up with you slamming this girl?? The situation could be totally different that what you are thinking here... just a thought
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

conehead wrote:Interesting article in the duluth paper this morning....wonder why dad wouldn't comment, perhaps he was at HOME in Silver Bay

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... /id/79367/
Can you post - copy/paste this story I can't seem to get to it through their website.
conehead

Post by conehead »

Here's the article....I don't intend to slam this girl, I wish her well....its just another example of the transfer rule being stretched beyond the intent of the mshsl.

This season is crowded in Section 7AA.

Defending champion and Class AA state runner-up Grand Rapids-Greenway could have its hands full with formidable girls hockey foes such as Duluth, Cloquet-Esko-Carlton and, perhaps, early favorite Proctor-Hermantown-Marshall posing a threat to the Lightning’s hopes of a repeat.

The Mirage (3-0) of Proctor-Hermantown Marshall are coming off a season in which they finished 20-5-2, losing to the Lightning in the Section 7AA semifinals.

Minus five seniors from the 2007-08 season, PHM returns an experienced core of players on offense and defense, including junior winger Julia Gilbert and defenders Hannah Buchite (junior) and Emma Stauber (sophomore). The Mirage also were given a boost with the addition of former Silver Bay hockey and softball standout Sam Downey, who transferred to Hermantown before the school year began. The senior, who centers the team’s first line that includes Gilbert and senior Jami Weiss, has 10 points — six goals, four assists — in three games.

“This is the first year that we’re returning the majority of our players. So, we’re a veteran team,” said coach Glen Gilderman, who has coached the Mirage since their first season in 1998-99. “This section; it’s going to be very competitive. There’s no question about it.”

Sophomore Amanda Bockovich and freshman Anja Morris have shared goaltending duties while junior Katie Gilderman recovers from surgery to repair a torn meniscus in her knee. Gilderman, Glen’s daughter, had surgery two weeks ago and is expected to return by late December.

PHM hosts Anoka at 8 p.m. today in the first Mirage Frozen Turkey Tournament at Mars Lakeview Arena. Rochester Mayo faces Wayzata at 6 p.m. in the tournament’s first game. The Mirage take on Wayzata at 3:15 p.m. Saturday.

Gilbert, the team’s leading scorer a year ago, has four goals and two assists through three games, while linemate Weiss has seven points (2-5) to combine for 23 points as a line with Downey.

“It’s really nice,” Gilbert said of playing with Downey. “She’s a really good player, and she’s a good person.”

Gilderman added: “Sam has stepped up as a player, but she stepped up as a leader on our team, too, right away. She’s a quiet leader. She has a calm demeanor to her, and she makes a real effort to be friendly to everybody. She has made it pretty easy for our girls to accept her, that’s for sure.”

Downey, who led Silver Bay Area in scoring last season, practiced with the Mariners volleyball team for a week in August before leaving for Hermantown, where she didn’t play volleyball.

“It has been fun. It has been a real eye-opener, especially changing schools,” said Downey, who lives in Fredenberg Township. “I really like this team. They were very welcoming.”

The move came as a surprise to former longtime Silver Bay boys hockey coach and first-year girls hockey coach Mike Guzzo, who coached Downey in softball, where she starred as a pitcher. Downey’s father, Shane, who refused to comment for the story, was Guzzo’s assistant softball coach for 10 years.

“She left behind good teammates and good teams,” said Guzzo, whose Mariners (1-1) should compete with defending champion Hibbing-Chisholm (0-3) in Section 7A. “We’ve moved on. There’s different people that get to be the stars.”

Kirstin Sandstrom, who converted to center from defense, leads the Mariners with six points (4-2) in two games, including a five-point outing in a 7-0 victory over International Falls on Nov. 21.
Game Misconduct

Duluth looked dominant

Post by Game Misconduct »

Saw duluth play last night...they looked dominant in a 3-2 game. If you just look at the score you'd think it was close. But Duluth dominated in all 3 zones.

CEC's goalies played well. duluth outshot cec 42-11. most of cec's shota were powerplay as was one goal.

Harvard bound duluth goalie laura Bellamy looked off but made just enough saves to be effective.

Duluth had 3 solid lines. I cant wait to see them play GRG again.

duluth is well coached solid deep team with usually great goaltending. They will be a force come feb.
northhockey

New Opinions?

Post by northhockey »

Any new opinions in this section? Grand Rapids still the runaway favorite?
BigTen

Post by BigTen »

I see GRG as a favorite...but not a runaway favorite. Duluth and PHM are very close. As far as your poll favorite I think PHM has gained alot of votes on GRG since the season started.
Joethehockeydad

Re: New Opinions?

Post by Joethehockeydad »

I believe strongly in GRG right now. I'd like to see Duluth play somebody before I get too excited about them.
northhockey wrote:Any new opinions in this section? Grand Rapids still the runaway favorite?
rae

Post by rae »

I agree joethehockeydad!
Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Who has PHM played? Starzz?
BigTen

Post by BigTen »

PHM has defeated 4 ranked teams as of 12-11-08 from let's Play Hockey.
Irondale,Wayzata,Cloquet,and Hibbing.
~hockeygirl~

Post by ~hockeygirl~ »

January 29th
Duluth or C-E-C?

January 27th
Duluth or Proctor/Hermantown/Marshall?

Any Predictions?
zamboni99

Post by zamboni99 »

~hockeygirl~ wrote:January 29th
Duluth or C-E-C?

January 27th

Any Predictions?
Very tough to say, anyone can beat anyone on a givin night. But im going to go with Duluth in both. I will take solid goaltending anyday.
Duluth 3 CEC 1
Duluth 4 PHM 3 OT
goalie01

Post by goalie01 »

zamboni99 wrote:
Duluth or C-E-C?

January 27th

Any Predictions?
Very tough to say, anyone can beat anyone on a givin night. But im going to go with Duluth in both. I will take solid goaltending anyday.
Duluth 3 CEC 1
Duluth 4 PHM 3 OT

Are you talking about Bellamy or Turner?? They seem to be splitting time pretty evenly so far.
zamboni99

Post by zamboni99 »

goalie01 wrote:
zamboni99 wrote:
Duluth or C-E-C?

January 27th

Any Predictions?
Duluth 3 CEC 1
Duluth 4 PHM 3 OT

Are you talking about Bellamy or Turner?? They seem to be splitting time pretty evenly so far.
Both are very respectable goaltenders, but i'm talking about Bellamy. But Turner did a very nice job against GRG last time they played
northhockey

Big seeding games 7AA

Post by northhockey »

Big games coming up in the near future for 7AA. Grand Rapids vs. PHM next Tuesday. Then Duluth vs. PHM...

Order right now???
1) Grand Rapids (Arola and Gallop - tough to stop)
2) PHM (Deeper this year...)
2) Duluth (Balanced attack)
4) Cloquet (Will be there at the end - they always are... good coaching...)
Will any Southern teams contend???
Forest Lake???
zamboni99

Re: Big seeding games 7AA

Post by zamboni99 »

northhockey wrote:Big games coming up in the near future for 7AA. Grand Rapids vs. PHM next Tuesday. Then Duluth vs. PHM...

Order right now???
1) Grand Rapids (Arola and Gallop - tough to stop)
2) PHM (Deeper this year...)
2) Duluth (Balanced attack)
4) Cloquet (Will be there at the end - they always are... good coaching...)
Will any Southern teams contend???
Forest Lake???
I agree with that order right now. Should be a very close race toward the end of the year. Top three could shift around in the next few weeks. Never know about the southern teams, I never see enough of them during the year so im not really sure. But ya never know, they could sneek up on someone.