Best Thanksgiving Week Matchups

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

trilogy

Best Thanksgiving Week Matchups

Post by trilogy »

Tourneys or just games - looks like some great matchups ahead. I am fired up to see some good hockey - which games will you take in?

Here's a starter list, not a complete list by any means, add your favorites. Let's hear more than just score predictions, speak up and offer some predictions on what you feel will be the best games so I can decide which ones to go watch :D

Maple Grove Tourney

Fri Nov 28 Hopkins vs. Roseville - possibly the marquee matchup of this tournament, is Hopkins ready after two big wins to take on the offensive firepower of Roseville? I predict goaltending will play a huge role in this one

Fri Nov 28 Maple Grove vs Burnsville - I'm leaning toward BV on this one thinking they are a little deeper than MG, but may be a close one, if BV can contain Hirsch.

Edina Tourney

Fri Nov 28 Edina vs Benilde - interesting matchup, Benilde is kinda rebuilding and Edina is a team that seems to have many moods, have seen them play ugly but win, and have also seen them really put the offense together. Gonna give the goaltending nod to Benilde on this one and predict a low-scoring affair.

Fri Nov 28 Blake vs. Breck - is Blake ready for a tough opponent after starting out with two double digit lopsided wins? Yeah, probably. Breck's offense is relentless, but then again, so is Blake's. May come down to which team is faster (and stays out of the penalty box).

GAMES

Fri Nov 28 GRG vs Alex?
Fri Nov 28 CEC vs Coon Rapids?

Would love to hear comments on the northern matchups. With the low price of gas, maybe I should travel north and catch a good one :!:
joehockey

Re: Best Thanksgiving Week Matchups

Post by joehockey »

trilogy wrote:Tourneys or just games - looks like some great matchups ahead. I am fired up to see some good hockey - which games will you take in?

Here's a starter list, not a complete list by any means, add your favorites. Let's hear more than just score predictions, speak up and offer some predictions on what you feel will be the best games so I can decide which ones to go watch :D Good comments here are my thoughts

Maple Grove Tourney

Fri Nov 28 Hopkins vs. Roseville - possibly the marquee matchup of this tournament, is Hopkins ready after two big wins to take on the offensive firepower of Roseville? I predict goaltending will play a huge role in this one

This is almost a pickem! But I am going to go with Hopkins they have 15 goals while Roseville generated 128 shots but only 8 goals. Kallie Billadeau is the best goalie in the state and Hopkins has 6-7 offensive weapons. Roseville probably has the better D and anyone would love to have the Brausen - Capistrand dangerous dynamic duo.

Fri Nov 28 Maple Grove vs Burnsville - I'm leaning toward BV on this one thinking they are a little deeper than MG, but may be a close one, if BV can contain Hirsch.

Not sure how good either of these teams are time will tell but both have some top players will MG have enought goaltending?

Edina Tourney

Fri Nov 28 Edina vs Benilde - interesting matchup, Benilde is kinda rebuilding and Edina is a team that seems to have many moods, have seen them play ugly but win, and have also seen them really put the offense together. Gonna give the goaltending nod to Benilde on this one and predict a low-scoring affair.

This will be Edina by 4 unless Press is unbelievable. BSM just doesn't have the offense to stay with Edina. The Green are due to break out and score some goals this maybe the game unless Press is in the zone.

Fri Nov 28 Blake vs. Breck - is Blake ready for a tough opponent after starting out with two double digit lopsided wins? Yeah, probably. Breck's offense is relentless, but then again, so is Blake's. May come down to which team is faster (and stays out of the penalty box).

Blake by 4 here to - lots of fire power Komarek and Chute plus D and the "Other Great Billadeau Goalie" Chloe. Only way Breck wins if if Blake lets McMillan run wild and beat them.

GAMES

Fri Nov 28 GRG vs Alex?

Would love to hear comments on the northern matchups. With the low price of gas, maybe I should travel north and catch a good one :!:
nmnhockeydad

Northern Clash!

Post by nmnhockeydad »

Tuesday November 23

Grand Rapids/Greenway Lightning @ Duluth Northern Stars
JV @ 6pm Varsity @ 8 pm

Promises to be an excellent matchup!
northhockey

Proctor Hermantown Marshall Tourney

Post by northhockey »

PHM Tourney Matchups

PHM vs. Anoka
PHM vs Wayzata

Anoka vs. Rochester Mayo
Wayzata vs. Rochester Mayo

Should be good games!
DmanDad1980

Re: Proctor Hermantown Marshall Tourney

Post by DmanDad1980 »

northhockey wrote:PHM Tourney Matchups

PHM vs. Anoka
PHM vs Wayzata

Anoka vs. Rochester Mayo
Wayzata vs. Rochester Mayo

Should be good games!
Wish the Mayo girls could have played PHM!
You go up nort, you play up nort teams... :D
Mayo will be in Schwanns, so they will play Metro teams there...
Mayo is young, talented, but may have a tough weekend in Duluth facing Wayzata and the Tornadoes :!:
joehockey

Quesitons???

Post by joehockey »

Maple Grove Tourney

Does anyone know what time the game between Roseville and Hopkins starts on Friday and where are these games at?
titleist

Re: Quesitons???

Post by titleist »

joehockey wrote:Maple Grove Tourney

Does anyone know what time the game between Roseville and Hopkins starts on Friday and where are these games at?
3:30 for the Hopkins - Roseville game. Should be a good one!! Winner plays the winner of Burnsville - Maple Grove
ron123

Post by ron123 »

titleist wrote:

3:30 for the Hopkins - Roseville game. Should be a good one!! Winner plays the winner of Burnsville - Maple Grove

My schedule says 5:45. Are you sure it is at 3:30? Game is at Maple Grove community center
MNhockey24

Post by MNhockey24 »

3:15 JV - MG vs. Burnsville (Rink 1)
3:30 JV - Roseville vs. Hopkins (Rink 2)

5:30 Varsity - MG vs. Burnsville (Rink 1)
5:45 Varsity - Roseville vs. Hopkins (Rink 2)

All games played at MG Community Center.
OntheEdge

Re: Best Thanksgiving Week Matchups

Post by OntheEdge »

trilogy wrote:Tourneys or just games - looks like some great matchups ahead. I am fired up to see some good hockey - which games will you take in?

Here's a starter list, not a complete list by any means, add your favorites. Let's hear more than just score predictions, speak up and offer some predictions on what you feel will be the best games so I can decide which ones to go watch :D

Maple Grove Tourney

Edina Tourney

GAMES

Fri Nov 28 GRG vs Alex?

I'd love to see the Roseville/Hopkins game. In my opinion this is the toughest game to pick so far this year. I think Roseville has the better depth at forward and defense but Hopkins has the edge at goaltending (I think Billadeau is one of the top 3 goalies in the state if not the best) and an awsome line with Kortum and Johnson. I will go with Hopkins over Roseville 1-0.

GRG vs. Alex. I think its an easy pick GRG 5-1. Alex lost too many key players from last years team.

CEC vs. Coon Rapids. I think this is a tougher game to pick. I don't know enough about Coon Rapids. CEC has one outstanding line and a good goaltender. I'm picking Coon Rapids 3-1 because of the Edina factor. Jenny Potter is from Edina.

Burnsville vs. Maple Grove. Another good match up. I think Amanda Colin, Lauren Barnes and Alex Hall in goal gives Burnsville the edge over Casey Hirsch and company. Burnsville 4 vs. Maple Grove 1.

Edina v Benilde. Both teams are struggling to score in the early season so it should be a low score. I think BSM and Edina have good goaltending and defense. I just have a feeling that Edina's offense is due to break out. Edina over BSM 4-1.

Blake v Breck. Two of the top 4 1A teams. If I would rank 1A I would put Blake at #1, Roseau at #2, Warroad at #3 and Breck at #4. I think Blake is too deep for Breck and I am picking Blake 4-1 over Breck.

If I am right about the above two games, there will be an Edina vs Blake game. It will be a great matchup if it happens. Last year Edina carried a one goal lead deep into the 3rd period. Two power plays at the end of the third period helped Komarek and Blake score two goals to win by one. Later in the year these two teams scrimmaged and Edina dominated. Blake did not lose anyone from last year and added a talented 8th grader in Cameranesi. Edina lost a few seniors but the core talent of the team came back. I'm picking Blake 4-2 over Edina only because Edina has a new coach and the team is going thru an adjustment period. I think that if this game was later in the season Edina would win. I think Laura Slominski is doing a great job. I think that she is getting to know her players and spoon feeding information and skills to the girls. IMO Edina will start rolling late December or early January.
hockeyrube7

Post by hockeyrube7 »

My picks for what they are worth.

Hopkins 3 vs Roseville 1

GRG 6 vs Alex 0

CEC 4 vs Coon Rapids 1

Burnsville 4 vs Maple Grove 3

Edina 5 vs Benilde 1

Blake 5 vs Breck 0

I'll go with your thinking here, Blake 3 vs Edina 1
neutralregroup

T-Giving matchups....

Post by neutralregroup »

Here are some off-the-wall picks from a new guy to the "bored"...

Hopkins 3 vs Roseville 1

GRG 3 vs Alex 0

CEC 5 vs Coon Rapids 0

Maple Grove 4 vs. Burnsville 2

Benilde3 vs. Edina 2

Breck 4 vs. Blake 2

Breck beats BSM 4 - 1

This weekend will give all of us interested bystanders (hockey addicts) plenty to post about on Sat night/Sun!