Section 7AA Final

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

sinbin006

Section 7AA Final

Post by sinbin006 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:32 pm

CEC 1
PHM 2

After 1st

sinbin006

Post by sinbin006 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:06 pm

CEC 3
PHM 2

After 2nd

sinbin006

Post by sinbin006 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:59 pm

CEC 4
PHM 2

Final

Shots 42-18 Mirage

Game Misconduct

Post by Game Misconduct » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:37 pm

Great game.
One of the best i've seen this year.

It all came down to goaltending. Cloquet's netminder was spectacular.
PHM's...

GivinYaTheBusiness

Stats?

Post by GivinYaTheBusiness » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:42 pm

Who scored what, shots on goal, etc?

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:19 pm

CEC is returning to the state tournament with a 4-2 win over PHM! Goaltender Sarah Gustafson stopped something like 38 PHM shots, but it's hard to know the number for sure as the scoreboard operator was going up and down with it the whole game. Cloquet may have broke the 20 shot mark but play really good defense the whole game. They also ran three lines a lot to let the first line get some rest.

For the most part, PHM's major threats were kept to the outside, and weren't allowed many rebound chances, and when there were rebounds Gustafson stopped the next chance. The big three got their chances but weren't enough.

Pictures sometime tonight if I stay awake long enough :P

The individual scorers someone else can post, I think Courtney Esse scored twice if not another hat-trick for Cloquet, but I'm not 100% positive the official scoring.

JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:57 am

Esse go a hat trick. I think her younger sister got the other goal. gaoltending was the difference. As the old saying goes............. A hot goaltender can carry a team. It did in the section playoffs. Good luck cloquet!

wild77

Post by wild77 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:37 am

JohnnyBuck wrote:Esse go a hat trick. I think her younger sister got the other goal. gaoltending was the difference. As the old saying goes............. A hot goaltender can carry a team. It did in the section playoffs. Good luck cloquet!
I think they have learned that all goals do not have to be pretty. Just put the shot on net and start banging away. I really can't remember the last pretty goal they have got. the goaltending has been very good through the year. And I think you are correct that it has and did keep the game close. But to me the difference between the first half of the season and the second half of the season is

the play of the 3rd line. the third line has stepped up considerably giving the other 2 lines more rest
everyone has learned to put shots on goal and bang home rebounds. Not pretty, but very effective

Very nice job. Good Luck at State!

Game Misconduct

Post by Game Misconduct » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:22 am

Good point about third line. phm played their "power line" almost the whole 3rd period. It showed at the end. They were dead tired and started taking cheap shots.

conehead

Post by conehead » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:20 pm

Nice "move" to PHM...Silver Bay in the section final tonite......could justice be served??? Goaltending and coaching will always prevail in the playoffs...no difference here.
________
Box Vaporizers
Last edited by conehead on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:26 pm

conehead wrote:Nice "move" to PHM...Silver Bay in the section final tonite......could justice be served??? Goaltending and coaching will always prevail in the playoffs...no difference here.
I'm gonna miss the 7A final, gonna be at a basketball game, but after watching the semi-finals on Tuesday, I can't imagine making a prediction, other than if you are lucky enough to be in Cloquet tonight there should be one heck of a game for the 7A championship.

State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:14 pm

DHMN wrote:
conehead wrote:Nice "move" to PHM...Silver Bay in the section final tonite......could justice be served??? Goaltending and coaching will always prevail in the playoffs...no difference here.
I'm gonna miss the 7A final, gonna be at a basketball game, but after watching the semi-finals on Tuesday, I can't imagine making a prediction, other than if you are lucky enough to be in Cloquet tonight there should be one heck of a game for the 7A championship.
A basketball game over a section final hockey game? You better pray to the hockey gods for forgiveness.

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:26 pm

State Champ 97 wrote:
DHMN wrote:
A basketball game over a section final hockey game? You better pray to the hockey gods for forgiveness.
I know, but at least it was a Cloquet basketball game rather than some random game. I've put off attending more basketball games to see as many hockey games this year as possible (I coached middle school bball for the last 3 years and this year I'm not coaching) to make up for missing so many.

I'll see enough hockey with the state tournament to make up for not watching the 7A final I hope :lol:

JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:16 pm

Game Misconduct wrote:Good point about third line. phm played their "power line" almost the whole 3rd period. It showed at the end. They were dead tired and started taking cheap shots.
I agree that the "power line" was over used early in the game which made them ineffective in the third period. However, I do not agree that they were "cheap". They took one penalty with one second left in the game. Hardly "cheap". PHM is full of classy girls who accepted the loss with integrity. Give them a break!

JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:27 pm

This no doubt comes from a Silver Bay fan. Why don't you guys back off of Downy? She is a great kid! I have sat quiet all year and read all the little digs at her and PHM for her playing with the Mirage this year. Get over it! It is done! She had a great year and is a great kid! It is time to let it go! Silver Bay had a great year without her, so why keep taking little shots at her? Her move to PHM was a personal decsion between her and her family. With the way she was treated on this forum I could see how her decison was made easier.

Anyone have the score of the section 7A final tonight?

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:36 pm

I won't say the PHM first line was cheap.. but they you could tell they were getting frustrated at the end of the game, they sort of tried to change their style of play and started getting a bit physical in the last half of the third period. There could have been a couple more roughing or checking penalties called, and Cloquet could have taken one or two hooking or whatever penalties themselves, but both teams did well to play to the style the referees were allowing.

As a WCHA (UMD) women's (have men's season tix also but that's not the subject at hand) season ticket holder it can be frustrating watching referees call the girls/women's game different not only from game to game, but at times from period to period, and for those people who do watch the WCHA women's game, it seemed these referees were auditioning for a job in the WCHA the way it was called.

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:57 am

wow.. I could have gone to the arena when I got back to Cloquet from the basketball game and still saw a bunch of hockey..... from the News Tribune's website:
Eveleth-Gilbert Area 4, Silver Bay Area 3

Amanda Arobogast scored her third goal of the game 37 seconds into triple overtime as the Golden Bears earned their first trip to the Minnesota girls hockey state tournament with the Section 7A final win over the Mariners at Cloquet Area Recreation Arena.

Arbogast tied the game at 2-2 with a goal at 8:27 of the second period, then tied it again 1:02 into the third period before giving Eveleth-Gilbert (18-8-2) its biggest win in school history after the teams had played 76 minutes, 37 seconds.

wild77

Post by wild77 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:27 am

DHMN wrote:wow.. I could have gone to the arena when I got back to Cloquet from the basketball game and still saw a bunch of hockey..... from the News Tribune's website:

Amanda Arobogast scored her third goal of the game 37 seconds into triple overtime as the Golden Bears earned their first trip to the Minnesota girls hockey state tournament with the Section 7A final win over the Mariners at Cloquet Area Recreation Arena.

Arbogast tied the game at 2-2 with a goal at 8:27 of the second period, then tied it again 1:02 into the third period before giving Eveleth-Gilbert (18-8-2) its biggest win in school history after the teams had played 76 minutes, 37 seconds.
You missed a good one. There was a very nice crowd and Eveleth had their band. Great atmosphere. I really thought it was Silver Bay's game after the first period, but they just couldn't finish some scoring oppurtunities to put the game away. Eveleth's goalie played very well after the 1 period (she's only a freshman) and the team had a lot of heart. Several times Silver Bay got behind their defense with the puck only to have someone from Eveleth-Gilbert dive and knock the puck away or take down the puck carrier as the last resort. Silver Bay just couldn't capitalize on their many chances. Good luck to them at State

wild77

state tournament seeding

Post by wild77 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:52 am

I belive they seed everyone tonight. I was just looking at each section and it's winner or possible winner. It's something like this

1AA
Lakeville South
Rochester Mayo

2AA
Edina

3AA
Eagan

4AA
Roseville
Stillwater

5AA
Irondale

6AA
Hopkins
Maple Grove

7AA
CEC

8AA
Elk River

Where will they seed CEC? Certainly not ahead of Edina or the 4AA winner. But from there I am not sure. We should be ahead of the 1AA winner, Eagan, Elk River, and possibly Irondale. that would give us #4. Is that out of the question? I would like to see the team stay out of the draw.

conehead

Post by conehead » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:16 am

JohnnyBuck wrote:
This no doubt comes from a Silver Bay fan. Why don't you guys back off of Downy? She is a great kid! I have sat quiet all year and read all the little digs at her and PHM for her playing with the Mirage this year. Get over it! It is done! She had a great year and is a great kid! It is time to let it go! Silver Bay had a great year without her, so why keep taking little shots at her? Her move to PHM was a personal decsion between her and her family. With the way she was treated on this forum I could see how her decison was made easier.

Anyone have the score of the section 7A final tonight?
Really?????? OK....perhaps I'm a PHM fan fed up with having her take a spot from a homegrown kid and not even "legitimately" living in Hermantown, watching her and the team get outcoached...or?? i don't believe anyone has said she is a bad kid, as a matter of fact, I know she is a great kid. It's another testament to the problem with the "transfer" rule...I hope someday soon the MSHSL slams a team for this type of transfer.
________
HARLEY-DAVIDSON CAC
Last edited by conehead on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DmanDad1980

Re: state tournament seeding

Post by DmanDad1980 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:22 am

wild77 wrote:I belive they seed everyone tonight. I was just looking at each section and it's winner or possible winner. It's something like this

1AA
Lakeville South
Rochester Mayo

2AA
Edina

3AA
Eagan

4AA
Roseville
Stillwater

5AA
Irondale

6AA
Hopkins
Maple Grove

7AA
CEC

8AA
Elk River

Where will they seed CEC? Certainly not ahead of Edina or the 4AA winner. But from there I am not sure. We should be ahead of the 1AA winner, Eagan, Elk River, and possibly Irondale. that would give us #4. Is that out of the question? I would like to see the team stay out of the draw.
Nope. No CEC...

Top 4 seeds will go to: Edina, Roseville/Stillwater winner, Hopkins/Maple Grove winner, and Eagan...

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:27 am

DHMN wrote:wow.. I could have gone to the arena when I got back to Cloquet from the basketball game and still saw a bunch of hockey..... from the News Tribune's website:

DHMN... [-X
A basketball game over a hockey game... :shock:

Let's make better decisons in the future... :wink:

wild77

Post by wild77 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:47 am

DmanDad1980 wrote:
Nope. No CEC...

Top 4 seeds will go to: Edina, Roseville/Stillwater winner, Hopkins/Maple Grove winner, and Eagan...
I don't see the Eagan argument, but I don't know the seeding process either. If CEC gets an oppurtunity to state a position it may go something like:

What's important is how the teams are playing now, not necessarily how they started the year. CEC is 10-3 over the last 13 games losing to Edina 4-2 (en) and Blaine (good goaltending as we doubled up Blaine in SOG) in back to back games. The other loss was to PHM. Over the last 8 games CEC is 7-1 losing only to PHM. In that run CEC has beaten Eagan (5-1), Bemidji, Hibbing, Duluth, Forest Lake, GRG, and PHM.

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:07 am

wild77 wrote:
DmanDad1980 wrote:
Nope. No CEC...

I don't see the Eagan argument, but I don't know the seeding process either.
QRF Rankings: February 20, 2009
1 Hopkins (22-3-1) 134.8
2 Edina (16-6-5) 127.9
3 Roseville (25-1-1) 125.2
4 Minnetonka (16-8-3) 123.0
5 Stillwater Area (23-4-0) 122.7
6 Grand Rapids/Greenway (15-8-2) 119.1
7 Eagan (23-5-0) 116.8
8 Hill-Murray (22-5-0) 115.7
9 Centennial (20-4-3) 109.3
10 Duluth Area (19-5-3) 105.2
11 North Wright County (22-5-0) 104.4
12 Proctor/Hermantown/Duluth Marshall (20-7-1) 103.6
13 Maple Grove (20-7-0) 102.4
14 Benilde-St. Margaret's (18-7-2) 101.6
15 Cloquet/Esko/Carlton (18-9-1) 101.5

Its only my opinion... I could see CEC w/ #4 seed, if Maple Grove upsets Hopkins... CEC very good team, but...

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:41 pm

Seeding is Sunday morning, rather than have people sit around waiting for the last finals to end, is what I was told.