Thoroughbreds

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hux

Post by Hux »

Big weekend for the T-Breds as they host the JWHL West division teams at the U. T-Breds kick things off tonight with a 6PM tilt at Mariucci. All of the games are on campus, with the Friday and Saturday match-ups on the big sheet, and Sunday's at Ridder.

Thoroughbreds are currently in third place in the division, three points behind second place Edge School from Calgary, and six points behind leader Warner School from Alberta.
joxs

Post by joxs »

Correction: The first game is at 4pm cst.
Schedule is posted at:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnesota ... 3904907683
or
http://www.jwhl.org/

All games are Free, great hockey for a great price.
joxs

Post by joxs »

Thoroughbreds beat Edge 3-1 tonight, Pacific came close to Warner 1-2.
MN plays at 8:45am on the big sheet.
joxs

Post by joxs »

The TBreds beat Pacific 2-1 this am and play Warner tonight. They are on a roll to up their standings in the JWHL
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Saw the T-Breds game on Sunday 3-2 win over Blmoral Hall of Winnipeg which clinched a top finish for them - game was fast and physical.

You forget how good some of these players are and how they would be dominating if still in HS League. Kari Lundberg - headed for MSU and Dani Williams headed to BSU were outstanding. Steph Anderson also has gotten even faster and really blossomed - when she was on the ice she dominated.

I know they will play SSM in the upcoming weeks to determine who represents MN at Nationals - highly recommend catching them in action - good hockey.
joxs

Post by joxs »

Kari and Dani are great team players. The north to south players in the league get shut down most of the time by the good teams.

Roseville played White Bear last night and the level of play was not even close to the JWHL league play last weekend.

The TB's play SSM 2x this weekend, once on Saturday morning down at SSM, not sure about a goalie though. Lexi Schutt is taking her ACT and Lindsey Brown may not be cleared to play, (she has a concussion).

On Sunday they play at Highland at 1:50.
These two games are non league for the TBs and do not play in any standings but will still be great games.
Melvin44

Post by Melvin44 »

joxs wrote:Kari and Dani are great team players. The north to south players in the league get shut down most of the time by the good teams.

Roseville played White Bear last night and the level of play was not even close to the JWHL league play last weekend.

The TB's play SSM 2x this weekend, once on Saturday morning down at SSM, not sure about a goalie though. Lexi Schutt is taking her ACT and Lindsey Brown may not be cleared to play, (she has a concussion).

On Sunday they play at Highland at 1:50.
These two games are non league for the TBs and do not play in any standings but will still be great games.
I'll have to disagree with you. Of course the TB's are going to be better. Play more games and a ton more practices. I do think both Roseville and WBL would play the TB's close. I also think the RV/WBL game was fast and very good hockey as did the college coaches who were in attendence.

I guess we'll never know as the RV and WBL girls chose to stay with their teamates and programs. I do think that RV and WBL have almost as many D1 players don't they.

I do love a lot of TB's players and feel their outstanding players. Just don't take a shot at High School hockey. You could start your own TB forum. This is a HS hockey forum. Your players chose to leave their HS programs. Didn't they.

Set up a scrimmage with us.
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

joxs wrote: .....
I can't stand idiotic subjective comments that just get thrown out there like that and us rubes are supposed to accept them. So I'll call BS on this one. Yes, the T'Breds have 2 months on the front end of the season to get to this point and another month after. OK.

Ya know, I don't mean to get defensive or mean about this, but it seems to me as I look around the WCHA there are lots of MN HS girls starring for their teams (check out BSU, OSU, U of M, SCSU)--in the top 50 in conference scoring there must be about 20 MN HS girls. I also see some T'Breds--almost all are struggling for playing time--the leading scorer among them is a D (excellent by the way) at around #70. The last few years many of them have left the DI teams that they attended and transferred to DIII schools--that seems to be a trend lately. Isn't U19 hockey supposed to prepare girls for the college game much better than HS? Isn't that really the only reason it exists here? (You can't say they're there for the education). Is it working?
joxs

Post by joxs »

I do not think the underlying reason for girls playing in the JWHL and the TB's is to get into a D1 program. If any player thinks they will get into ANY college program just by being on a 19U team, they are mistaken.
I do know that all of the players are there because they like being around the work ethic of their teammates and playing with them.
Melvin44

Post by Melvin44 »

The reason why girls play TB is either because they had a problem with a coach/player. Didn't fit in with their HS team or because they wanted to try to improve their chances to play college hockey. HS girls learn life lessons like getting along with teamates who might need a little help advise and guidance or a coach who doesn't see the exact way they do. Learning to deal with different personalites. And of course loyalty.

Like Bensie said you're not paying $4-5000. to get a better education. You're paying $4-5000 to get a chance to play college hockey. Be honest!

Like I said I have a lot of respect for TB players. Just don't make idiotic comments about HS hockey. It's a great game.

Being around work ethic? :? :?
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

Melvin44 wrote:The reason why girls play TB is either because they had a problem with a coach/player. Didn't fit in with their HS team or because they wanted to try to improve their chances to play college hockey. HS girls learn life lessons like getting along with teamates who might need a little help advise and guidance or a coach who doesn't see the exact way they do. Learning to deal with different personalites. And of course loyalty.

Like Bensie said you're not paying $4-5000. to get a better education. You're paying $4-5000 to get a chance to play college hockey. Be honest!

Like I said I have a lot of respect for TB players. Just don't make idiotic comments about HS hockey. It's a great game.

Being around work ethic? :? :?
Very well said! And I have said it before, you are truly a good player THEY WILL FIND YOU, no mater where you play!!!
hockeypup

Post by hockeypup »

comment---
Isn't U19 hockey supposed to prepare girls for the college game much better than HS? Isn't that really the only reason it exists here? (You can't say they're there for the education). Is it working?

I think everyone would agree it's great there are a lot of opportunities for girls out there. Isn't that what it's all about? There are numerous reasons for girls to play Thoroughbreds. Many girls come from very small schools where there isn't even a girls hockey team or it's a cooperative team where practices are far away. There are also girls who are homeschooled and guess what? The MSHSL usually doesn't let them play for a high school team (depends on the district I guess). There are girls who wanted to play high school hockey who were declared ineligible to play in the MSHSL because they transferred after their 9th grade year. Instead of playing JV at their school, they opted to try out for the Thoroughbreds until they become eligible. (It's a full year of sitting out by the way and waivers are TOUGH to get). So please know your facts before making generalized statements about why girls play Thoroughbreds.

Also, the coaching comment really irritates me. Just because girls play for Thoroughbreds means they couldn't get along with a coach or deal with different personalities? You need to get more creative than that. This is also laughable if you read the paper regarding recent arrests for not so nice offenses committed by girls coaches. Obviously there are reasons why girls may not be comfortable around certain coaches.

Also, accept it for what it is..... a good program for girls who want to play something other than high school hockey. There's nothing wrong with wanting to play with girls who have the same level of dedictation you do. If you can get that in high school, wonderful. If not, it's great there's another option. Period.
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

I'm a fan of the T'Breds and I'm very happy there is this option for the girls in the Twin Cities. Yes, most of them are from Wisconsin or from small or 'non-accomplished' programs from Rochester to St. Cloud. It's a great thing.

But I've watched them enough to form the opinion that a game with two good HS teams (like WB and Roseville last night), while it might look very different sometimes, is not inferior to a U19AAA game. (One difference is due to HS refs calling slashing and high-sticking penalties before blood is drawn or bones are broken.)

Listed on the T'Breds website, all seniors and post-grads have listed the colleges that they've 'committed' to. Every one. Hockey now and in the future is a top priority for these girls. That's outstanding, we need more kids like them. But I've also seen enough MIAC hockey to know that just about every kid playing in the WB-Roseville game could also play in that league, if that was a top priority for them. It just isn't for many of them.
Melvin44

Post by Melvin44 »

Read my post HG I stated either, either or either,

There is nothing wrong playing Tbirds hockey. Just admit when you're paying $4-5000 not to mention parent travel expenses with no schooling involved you're doing it to try and play college hockey. And that's ok. Just admit it.

Tbirds is a great opportunity. Just don't slam HS hockey.
joxs

Minnesota u19 Playoffs

Post by joxs »

2010 MINNESOTA HOCKEY
GIRLS 19 & UNDER A PLAYOFF
MARCH 5, 6 AND 7, 2010

Teams: Minnesota Crunch, Minnesota Thoroughbreds, Shattuck St. Mary’s

Location: Wakota Arena, 141 6th Street South, South St. Paul, MN (651) 554-3330

First team listed is home team and will wear dark jerseys. Team with the best record advances to USA Hockey National Championships.

Friday, 3/5/10 Rink 1 MN Thoroughbreds v Minnesota Crunch 7:50-9:50 pm
Saturday, 3/6/10 Rink 1 Minnesota Crunch v Shattuck St. Mary’s 1:30-3:30 pm
Sunday, 3/7/10 Rink 1 Shattuck St. Mary’s v MN Thoroughbreds 1:20-3:20 pm

Should be some good hockey.
joehockey

Re: Minnesota u19 Playoffs

Post by joehockey »

joxs wrote:2010 MINNESOTA HOCKEY
GIRLS 19 & UNDER A PLAYOFF
MARCH 5, 6 AND 7, 2010

Teams: Minnesota Crunch, Minnesota Thoroughbreds, Shattuck St. Mary’s

Location: Wakota Arena, 141 6th Street South, South St. Paul, MN (651) 554-3330

First team listed is home team and will wear dark jerseys. Team with the best record advances to USA Hockey National Championships.

Friday, 3/5/10 Rink 1 MN Thoroughbreds v Minnesota Crunch 7:50-9:50 pm
Saturday, 3/6/10 Rink 1 Minnesota Crunch v Shattuck St. Mary’s 1:30-3:30 pm
Sunday, 3/7/10 Rink 1 Shattuck St. Mary’s v MN Thoroughbreds 1:20-3:20 pm

Should be some good hockey.
Wow so if Thoroughbreds win the single game versus SSM they represent MN at Nationals - that would be a neat game to see.
hshockeyfan91

...or Crunch?

Post by hshockeyfan91 »

Didn't the Crunch just tie the SSM U19 team, after beating the SSM U16 team a month or so ago? Maybe the Crunch will be the team moving on?
dungey

The crunch vs......

Post by dungey »

Yes the Crunch did did just tie SSM and are better than what they are given credit for. One of their goalies is just on fire lately ( stephanie boemer ). I think the Thoroughbreds will be surprised when they play on that Friday against the Crunch. The Thoroughbred coaches don't look at the Crunch as any competition, but I think they will change their minds.
SportsMa

Post by SportsMa »

Hope Crunch win! Fun to see the underdog pull upsets!
Hux

Post by Hux »

Congratulations to the T-Breds' Stephanie Anderson on her selection to the US U18 National team that will compete for its third straight World Championship in Chicago later this month.
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

Hux wrote:Congratulations to the T-Breds' Stephanie Anderson on her selection to the US U18 National team that will compete for its third straight World Championship in Chicago later this month.
Awesome choice, dynamic player.
Media

Post by Media »

Game one State

Thouroughbreds 2
Minnesota Crunch 1

Power play goal with three mminutes left decides it
hockeychamp01

Post by hockeychamp01 »

whats the story of this game? is there a box score?
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Media wrote:Game one State

Thouroughbreds 2
Minnesota Crunch 1

Power play goal with three mminutes left decides it
WOW sounds like the first of three great games this weekend.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

SSM 10 Crunch 1