2009-2010 Section 1AA

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SEhockeyDAD

2009-2010 Section 1AA

Post by SEhockeyDAD »

The two Lakevilles, Farmington and Mayo will likely be in the section semi-finals. Lakeville South lost some good players to graduation, but still has the goalie to make them a favorite. Mayo will have to find offense from someone not named Flesher, especially against better teams.
GundersonDC

Post by GundersonDC »

I agree those are 4 very good teams but after seeing a lot of these girls all Fall I would include Owatonna in this group. A sleeper team will be JM/Lourdes whom has one of the top 5 goailies in the state with Bonapace Potvin and their skilled players now have had a least 2-3 years of Varsity experience. This will be a very close section this year with what I believe Lakeville South the early pre season favorite with 5 other teams that could take the section title. Good Luck to all teams and stay healthy.
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

Its good to see positive comments for JM/L. Best guess is they'll be lead by the Armstrongs, nelsons, Lemesh and Dekatowski. The capts practice looked good. The girls say that two of the kids that scored a lot in the 4 on 4 league stayed in 14U. JM/L has lots of strong players for the future coming from 14UA and 12UA.
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

I'd like to see somebody that is "in the know" breakdown this section. Please avoid the section 1 bashing.

Here's the little bit I know and some questions to ask...

Century: picked up one from 14A. 2 or 3 girls played in the Elite 2 league. Goaltending? Most girls skated in Kasson fall league. Few graduated.

JM/L: A pair of goalies defected from 14U. Will they get ice time? I heard they got a transfer but don't know where she came from. One aged up from 14A. One player went from 12U to H/S bypassing 14U.Any other 14U defections? Most skated in Kasson. Few graduated. Good captains practices. Will this be their year?

Mayo: Lost 2 to T-breds. 1 aged up from 14UA. 3 defected from 14U? Most played in Kasson. Few graduated.

DC: Graduated 2 very good players. Youngsters contributed last year with points. They dismantled their 12U program to get a JV so they have lots of young blood. Added a co-op with DE. How many players did they gain?

Faribault: Return top scorers. Strong 14UA team last year. How many will move up and how many will play B this year? Coach resigned. Has a new coach been named? Anybody transfer to Shattuck?

Winona: Not much information. They post very little on MGHCA or this board.

Lakeville South: Just know that their youth programs are always strong. Who are the big dogs?

Lakeville North: Just know that their youth programs are always strong. Who are the big dogs?

Owatonna: MSHSL online schedule looks pretty strong with metro teams. Their 14UA team went to state last year. How many move up?

Farmington: ?I got nothing?

Think I'm missing a team but can't find a list.

This guy is tired of watching the IceHawks and is ready to see some H/S hockey.
Coachk

Post by Coachk »

Rocket 78 how can you not bash section 1, just look what you summerized. By the way I witnessed the tryouts and know several of the coaches in the elite 2 league this fall and they and myself cannot believe how weak the players were.
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

How can I not bash? I guess cuz I'm not a D-bag. My summary is only what I know and I would like feedback on the Lakevilles, Farmington and the missing teams. I can tell you about MacAllen and El Paso TX sports because I get to see a lot of that compared to the Section 1 girls hockey. I'm hoping to be home more this winter and would like to get a feel for what games are worth watching.

Let me clarify one thing. When I said "few graduated" that meant they were not lost to graduation. It did not mean "too dumb to graduate".

So if the the Elite 2 league was weak - is that a critique of Section 1 or the state? Which team did you coach and how did you do? Did you teach them anything that will improve them for the winter?
Girls_Hockey_fan

Post by Girls_Hockey_fan »

Lakeville South -- had 5 players participate in the NDP phases. 2 went on to the National Camp, 1 from 17s and 1 from 16s. Morgan Fritz-Ward was a JV player last year, due to MSHSL transfer rules and should make a big impact for South this year. She also played in the Elite I program. South had 1 player in the Elite II program.

Lakeville North - Didn't notice any players from North at the NDP phases or at the Elite I level. They did have one player in the Elite II program.

Farmington - 3 players participated int he NDP phases. 1 player on the Jr Ice Cats and 1 player on the Elite II Program.

Elite II comments -- Inaugural season, so has some room for enhancement. 51 of the 136 players participated in the NDP phases. 20 of the 136 were at the Final54 or 15s Summer Camp level. Considering Elite I had 40 of their 60 players at the Final54 or higher level, I thought, Elite II had pretty good caliber players. The Elite II team with the highest percentage of Section 1 A/AA players (10 of the 17) won the Elite II play-off.
SEhockeyDAD

Post by SEhockeyDAD »

Rocket78 wrote:Its good to see positive comments for JM/L. Best guess is they'll be lead by the Armstrongs, nelsons, Lemesh and Dekatowski. The capts practice looked good. The girls say that two of the kids that scored a lot in the 4 on 4 league stayed in 14U. JM/L has lots of strong players for the future coming from 14UA and 12UA.
Good call on JM/L. They could make a good jump in their win column this season.

Owatonna has been 5th, maybe 4th best team in sections for a few years, and if they've got U14 state-tournament caliber talent coming up, they can make a good run at tournament time. They've impressed me with their intensity over the years, especially against Mayo.
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

The season starts! JM/L with a 5-2 win over Austin. Looks like they are getting the defense into the attack, 3 assists for Dekutoski and 1 for Fisher.

Next up is Faribault. This will be Faribault's season opener.
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

JM off to a 2 - 1 start in conference games. Beats Austin, loses to Faribo and then beats Century. Could be tough sledding as 13 out of 15 goal have come from 3 players.

Mayo beats Owatonna 5-3 but lost to Lakeville N 2-5. No stats published but you can guess that the scoring comes from Flesher.

Century is working with new goalies and this will be a tough year for them.

Austin is getting scoring out of Sophs, Gallager and Grunewold. Upperclassmen?

Owatonna only one game so far. Goals from 3 different players.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Rocket78 wrote:
Mayo beats Owatonna 5-3 but lost to Lakeville N 2-5. No stats published but you can guess that the scoring comes from Flesher.
Lakeville North carried the play for most of the game...
Mayo tied the game 1 minute into the 3rd period, at 2-2, but gave up 2 odd man rushes and a breakaway in a 6 minute span to give up three goals late... Good game by North... Mayo has some younger players that with playing time will get better as the season progresses...

Its early, so teams should be able to find problems and try to correct current them as the season progresses...
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

An early test will occur tonight. JM/L hosting Mankato W at the Rec Center. Should be fun. Breusewitz goal scoring versus Kavasknica.

From the girls hockey website - Kvasknicka 6 goals in 3 games. Lloyd with 5 assists. Stop Lloyd and you prevent Kvasknicka from scoring? Breuesewitz with 6 goals and 1 assist in 3 games.
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

Predictions for JM/L v Mayo game tonight?

Last week JM/L lost to a strong Farmington team 0-6 and Winona 0-1
Last week Mayo lost to MW 1-2 but then dominated F'bo 7-4.

JM/L - no goals since 11/28. Some players are dinged up. Top 5 players have a combined 37 pts in 7 games (5.29 ppg). Wins over Austin and SP Blades. Losses to MW, Fbo, Farmington and Winona.

Mayo - lines aren't gelled. Issues? New young players stepping up? Top 5 players have acombined 30 pts in 6 games (5.00 ppg). Wins over top competition: Owatonna, Proctor/hermantown, Faribault. Losses to Lakeville N and MW.

Does history count or is it "Any Given Tuesday!"?
Falcon 89 Fan

Post by Falcon 89 Fan »

Rocket78 wrote: Last week Mayo lost to MW 1-2 but then dominated F'bo 7-4.
Faribault was without it's 2 senior wingers, one all confrence last year, and their goalie had missed the 2 previous days with illness. With them in the game, Flesher(sp) dosen't have her run of the offensive end and there is more scoring punch for Fbo. Next game against Mayo will be a diffrent game.

:mrgreen: Go Green
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

There was no intent to insult Fbo. MGHCA website showed that JJ didn't play and she has 10 pts so far this season and that could have given Fbo a boost. The other missing player is 0G-0A-0Pts with 0 PIM so I suspect she would not have been too much of a factor. With no backup goalie you should be a bit nervous.

Here's a video I found on KTTC
http://www.kttc.com/global/video/popup/ ... Format=flv

I'd say that the centers and D didn't get the job done and not so much the wings.

So are you going to give the nod to JM/L or Mayo?
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

Aargh, we had to cancel flight back for more meetings in the morning.

Will this game be on internet Radio? Do any local stations do that?

Counting on DMan for a p-by-p.
Falcon 89 Fan

Post by Falcon 89 Fan »

Rocket78 wrote:There was no intent to insult Fbo. MGHCA website showed that JJ didn't play and she has 10 pts so far this season and that could have given Fbo a boost. The other missing player is 0G-0A-0Pts with 0 PIM so I suspect she would not have been too much of a factor. With no backup goalie you should be a bit nervous.

Here's a video I found on KTTC
http://www.kttc.com/global/video/popup/ ... Format=flv

I'd say that the centers and D didn't get the job done and not so much the wings.

So are you going to give the nod to JM/L or Mayo?
Defense is a team game. Wings help on D and forcheck to maintain offensive possession. No worries on the backup goalie, hasn't been one for the last couple years, lol. JJ has been out since the 28th, but she may be back Friday, will miss the West game though.

Mayo wins 6-1.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Falcon 89 Fan wrote:
Faribault was without it's 2 senior wingers, one all confrence last year, and their goalie had missed the 2 previous days with illness. With them in the game, Flesher(sp) dosen't have her run of the offensive end and there is more scoring punch for Fbo. Next game against Mayo will be a diffrent game.

Always good to pound a Chicken :shock:

Mayo played 4 girls all game that had not played all year, back up goalie in nets, good to play the young kids like that... :D

Flesher just getting started, as she had hip problems from All State soccer season this fall... MG has had that kind of effect in Ozone for many years now... :D

Next game... should be fun... :wink:
hockeygroupie

Post by hockeygroupie »

DmanDad1980 wrote:
Falcon 89 Fan wrote:

Mayo played 4 girls all game that had not played all year, back up goalie in nets, good to play the young kids like that... :D

Flesher just getting started, as she had hip problems from All State soccer season this fall... MG has had that kind of effect in Ozone for many years now... :D

WOWOWOWOWOW...did I see the correct score....Faribault pounds the Scarletts...5-1...can this team be for real? :shock:
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

Last nights scores --
JM/L 1 - Mank W 5 JM/L needs to crank it up.
Mayo 7 - Mank E 2 How many for Flesher? not listed yet.
Owatonna 7 - Faribo 1
Farmington 14 - Century 1
Lakeville North - no game
Lakeville South - no game South 4 - North 3 on Tuesday.
Albert Lea - Winona no score found
Austin hosts Owatonna tonight

Wow(owowowow), is OWatonna for real? Shots were 31-12! I assumed that Faribo was shorthanded again like in other losses but the MGHCA website shows everyone present but once again their scoring comes from Bergland. Faribo even scored first. There were only two penalties for each team and the lone PP goal for Owatonna was the 7th goal. Owatonna scored 9 seconds into second period and 14 seconds into the third. After Faribo took the lead in the first period it only took 7 seconds for Owatonna to tie it up. It appears that Faribo has focus problems. A 5 point game for McCauley and 3 points for Cochran. This will certainly stir things up in the Big 9 conference standings.

I see Faribo plays Mound on Saturday. Make this one simple. Only dress Kuehl and Bergland with the two starting goalies. 25 shots per player in a shoot out. Winner takes all.
hockeygroupie

Post by hockeygroupie »

Rocket78 wrote:Last nights scores --
JM/L 1 - Mank W 5 JM/L needs to crank it up.
Mayo 7 - Mank E 2 How many for Flesher? not listed yet.
Owatonna 7 - Faribo 1
Farmington 14 - Century 1
Lakeville North - no game
Lakeville South - no game South 4 - North 3 on Tuesday.
Albert Lea - Winona no score found
Austin hosts Owatonna tonight

Wow(owowowow), is OWatonna for real? Shots were 31-12! I assumed that Faribo was shorthanded again like in other losses but the MGHCA website shows everyone present but once again their scoring comes from Bergland. Faribo even scored first. There were only two penalties for each team and the lone PP goal for Owatonna was the 7th goal. Owatonna scored 9 seconds into second period and 14 seconds into the third. After Faribo took the lead in the first period it only took 7 seconds for Owatonna to tie it up. It appears that Faribo has focus problems. A 5 point game for McCauley and 3 points for Cochran. This will certainly stir things up in the Big 9 conference standings.

I see Faribo plays Mound on Saturday. Make this one simple. Only dress Kuehl and Bergland with the two starting goalies. 25 shots per player in a shoot out. Winner takes all.
Faribault appears to back to playing horrible D again. That needs to get fixed per the radio. Also heard on radio that the assist leader Salmonsen appears to be the only one passing the puck. Maybe the problem is they are not playing as a team and only individual....can't win many playing like that. Hopefully the coach will get them regrouped and back in the win column.
Mound will be a good testament for them.
mchockeydad

Post by mchockeydad »

We are just past mid-season ... how would you rank Section 1AA opponents?
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Rocket78 wrote: Owatonna 7 - Faribo 1

Owatonna has a very nice team this year, and has been playing well against the Metro squads thay have faced so far...

Lakeville South is the class of Section 1AA this year, with the group of North/Mayo/Farmington/Owatonna all very close as a distant 2nd in the section...

We have seen it many times before in hockey, things can change so quickly, and we have the next month of the season and then sections... Hot goalie, injuries, illness, player development, and then sometimes things just click in a team... young kids, go figure... :D

It is fun to watch all these young ladies compete. Good luck to all the rest of the season and beyond... 8)
Falcon 89 Fan

Post by Falcon 89 Fan »

DmanDad1980 wrote:
Falcon 89 Fan wrote:

Fbo 3 Mayo 2. Always good to shock a Spartan. :shock: As I predicted, the 2 senior wingers that were out last game kept Flesher in check. Proud of the hustle and grit that the Fbo girls showed.

As always, GO GREEN :mrgreen:
Falcon 89 Fan

Post by Falcon 89 Fan »

DmanDad1980 wrote:
Falcon 89 Fan wrote:

Fbo 3 Mayo 2. Always good to shock a Spartan. :shock: As I predicted, the 2 senior wingers that were out last game kept Flesher in check. Proud of the hustle and grit that the Fbo girls showed.

As always, GO GREEN :mrgreen: