More 7AA Lumberjacks/Elks, Duluth/PHM

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

DHMN

More 7AA Lumberjacks/Elks, Duluth/PHM

Post by DHMN »

Cloquet (CEC) heads down to Elk River tonight.. hopefully someone down there posts a recap tonight.... I'll be watching basketball this time (yes, I did say that)..The Jacks should be at full strength on the blue line, I was told anyway, the final injured D is going to see how it goes coming back from the shoulder injury. Everything I read about Elk River still leads me to believe they ARE the team to beat.

Duluth and PHM go at it tomorrow at noon at Heritage. This game I'll actually get to since there's nothing else going on. The second matchup between Duluth/PHM is January 23rd outdoors at Hermantown on 'hockey day.'
BigTen

Post by BigTen »

DHMN,

If you go to the Duluth-P/H/M game it would be great if you could post updates of scores and sog each period.

Thanks!
DHMN

Post by DHMN »

BigTen wrote:DHMN,

If you go to the Duluth-P/H/M game it would be great if you could post updates of scores and sog each period.

Thanks!
I wish I could but my cell is 6 years old and doesn't have internet! Really need to pick up a netbook so I can do this kind of stuff!
BigTen

Post by BigTen »

DHMN wrote:
BigTen wrote:DHMN,

Thanks!
I wish I could but my cell is 6 years old and doesn't have internet! Really need to pick up a netbook so I can do this kind of stuff!

No problem, I would settle for a recap later on.

I see Cloquet and Elk River tied last night. Very Interesting :)
BigTen

Post by BigTen »

CEC 0 0 1 0-1
Elk River 0 1 0 0-1

Second: ER-Curtis (Ellis,Geissler) 14:04
Third: CEC Esse (Clark) 14:34
Saves: ER-Geissler 3-7-11-1 - 22 CEC-Gustafson 8-10-8-8 - 34
hockeye

Post by hockeye »

gustafson was very good again last night, Elk River is a physical team that will try and get away with anything possible then whine when they get called on it.
wild77

Post by wild77 »

hockeye wrote:gustafson was very good again last night, Elk River is a physical team that will try and get away with anything possible then whine when they get called on it.
Ouch, I didn't see that. Shots last night were clearly not correct. Those 2 teams are very equal. PHM is clearly at the top of 7AA from what I have seen of the first round of games.
DHMN

Post by DHMN »

PHM beat Duluth 2-1 this afternoon.. 0-0 game after 2 periods.. 8th grader Reilly Fawcett found the 5-hole from her knees on a 2 on 1 early in the third period to put PHM up 1-0.. (picture of that sometime tonight.)

Frankie Bergman tied it up for Duluth on a slapshot that was off the defender's skate catching the goaltender going the other way midway through the period but Fawcett scored again, within about 30 seconds (I believe) of the Bergman goal.

The Mirage controlled a lot of the play, but some of that was Duluth's defense not getting the puck out of their own zone when they got it on their sticks. They (Mirage) had 30 some shots but didn't really put huge pressure on, while playing good defense to keep the pressure off their own goaltender. Really was a good overall team effort from PHM.
BigTen

Post by BigTen »

DHMN wrote:PHM beat Duluth 2-1 this afternoon.. 0-0 game after 2 periods.. 8th grader Reilly Fawcett found the 5-hole from her knees on a 2 on 1 early in the third period to put PHM up 1-0.. (picture of that sometime tonight.)

Frankie Bergman tied it up for Duluth on a slapshot that was off the defender's skate catching the goaltender going the other way midway through the period but Fawcett scored again, within about 30 seconds (I believe) of the Bergman goal.

The Mirage controlled a lot of the play, but some of that was Duluth's defense not getting the puck out of their own zone when they got it on their sticks. They (Mirage) had 30 some shots but didn't really put huge pressure on, while playing good defense to keep the pressure off their own goaltender. Really was a good overall team effort from PHM.
Sounds like it was a good game. Do you know who was in goal for the Mirage?
DHMN

Post by DHMN »

BigTen wrote:
DHMN wrote:PHM beat Duluth 2-1 this afternoon.. 0-0 game after 2 periods.. 8th grader Reilly Fawcett found the 5-hole from her knees on a 2 on 1 early in the third period to put PHM up 1-0.. (picture of that sometime tonight.)

Sounds like it was a good game. Do you know who was in goal for the Mirage?
Anja Morris.. I don't see a lot of Mirage games but I think she plays most if not all their games after seeing most of the action with Gilderman hurt last season?
DHMN

Post by DHMN »

Some pictures from Duluth/PHM

First Mirage goal

Northern Stars goal was scored on this shot.. that looks like it's going wide but for the crazy deflection off the defender
DHMN

Post by DHMN »

Last chance scrum as Duluth tried to tie with the clock running down.
DHMN

Post by DHMN »

A quick correction, the game winning goal for PHM was credited to Abby Fox, the News Tribune short recap mentions... not Fawcett who I had mentioned from hearing the PA. The Duluth tying goal was scored at 14:00 and answered 21 seconds later with Fox's goal.. I was guessing when mentioning 30 seconds.
mnhockey3535

Post by mnhockey3535 »

as of right now i would have to see the section this way
This Section is way to close to call but in no particular order

1-3 Cloquet, Elk River, PHM

4-5 Duluth and Grand Rapids

6 Forest Lake
7 Cambridge
8 st. francis
DHMN

Post by DHMN »

mnhockey3535 wrote:as of right now i would have to see the section this way
This Section is way to close to call but in no particular order

1-3 Cloquet, Elk River, PHM

4-5 Duluth and Grand Rapids

6 Forest Lake
7 Cambridge
8 st. francis
If PHM plays in front of Morris the way they did against Duluth, clearing pucks and limiting good scoring chances they're my #1 right now, and I haven't actually seen Elk River. Morris isn't at the level of Sarah Gustafson or Paige Turner even but she did make some good saves against the Northern Stars yesterday, especially at the end with Duluth trying to tie the game.

If they (PHM) doesn't play back and help their goaltender out then I give the 'Jacks the top spot based on our beating PHM and tying Elk River. The Mirage outshot the Jacks bad, but gave good up scoring chances with Courtney Esse capitalizing on them with her hat trick.
DHMN

Post by DHMN »

Was checking the News Tribune online for this before heading off to bed...
Junior goalie Anja Morris made 40 saves to lead Proctor-Hermantown-Marshall to a 3-1 victory over state-power Breck on Monday in high school girls hockey.

Alyssa Wargin and Allison Jonas staked the visiting Mirage to a 2-0 lead with goals in the first period.

Breck, which was ranked No. 3 in the first Class A poll of the season, came back with a power-play goal early in the third before Mirage senior forward Rachel Rossiter scored an empty netter with less than a minute to play for the final margin.
The win over Duluth Saturday was probably a huge confidence building game for Morris that carried over to her 40 save performance against Breck.
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

Awesome pictures! Thanks for posting these. Morris probably had her best game as the Mirage netminder against Breck. She pretty much won that game for them herself. Breck is a very balanced and skilled team. They will be tough to beat in single A. As far as 7AA, I would not count Grand Rapids out yet. They are young but very skilled. It will be a very interesting section to watch, for sure.
iceage

Post by iceage »

JohnnyBuck wrote:Awesome pictures! Thanks for posting these. Morris probably had her best game as the Mirage netminder against Breck. She pretty much won that game for them herself. Breck is a very balanced and skilled team. They will be tough to beat in single A. As far as 7AA, I would not count Grand Rapids out yet. They are young but very skilled. It will be a very interesting section to watch, for sure.
I agree......I'm picking Grand Rapids to come out of 7AA.