Irondale vs. Roseville

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hansonbrother

Irondale vs. Roseville

Post by Hansonbrother »

Well, it'll be a big showdown tomorrow night in Roseville. Undefeated Irondale and somewhere in the top 5 Roseville.

Any prognostications for this one?
OntheEdge

Re: Irondale vs. Roseville

Post by OntheEdge »

Hansonbrother wrote:Well, it'll be a big showdown tomorrow night in Roseville. Undefeated Irondale and somewhere in the top 5 Roseville.

Any prognostications for this one?
Having seen both teams if I had to make a bet, I would bet on Roseville. I think Irondale has some great players but Roseville is the more talented team and Roseville has much more depth than Irondale.

However, Roseville has a tendency to not play well in big games and Irondale has some magic going right now so I would not be surprised to see Irondale win.
quickfeet

Post by quickfeet »

I would have to go with Irondale. I don't think it's magic. It's pure hockey talent.
HockeyDude13

Post by HockeyDude13 »

Irondale is very fun to watch and it goes beyond their top two players. If their D continues to improve, they have a very good shot at a state title this year.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

I think it will come down to Goaltending - if Gillian McDonald played like she did in the Edina Tourney Irondale will prevail. Both teams are physical so should be some great hockey - Brausen, Lorence and McDonald three of the States best forwards all on the same ice pretty cool!
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

My prediction is Roseville 4 Irondale 2
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

quickfeet wrote:......I don't think it's magic. It's pure hockey talent.
Right on that count.....(see Brausen, Bethany; Capistrant, Kayla; Stecklein, Lee; Duellman, Allie; Witwicke, Chelsea; Barnett, Nicki; Brodt, Hanna; Allen, Erika).

Sorry I couldn't resist.
superfan

forgot one

Post by superfan »

Bensonmum wrote:
Right on that count.....(see Brausen, Bethany; Capistrant, Kayla; Stecklein, Lee; Duellman, Allie; Witwicke, Chelsea; Barnett, Nicki; Brodt, Hanna; Allen, Erika).

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Benson who are the top points leaders ? I think you are forgetting the most underrated/unrecognized player on the team ! just my two cents
Bensonmum

Re: forgot one

Post by Bensonmum »

superfan wrote:
Bensonmum wrote:

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Benson who are the top points leaders ? I think you are forgetting the most underrated/unrecognized player on the team ! just my two cents
Yeesh!
First, I was just having a little fun with what I thought was an "imprudent" comment--and yes, I thought it was asanine before the game was played. Second, I didn't want to list the whole team or just my version of the 'top' players so I chose the girls who had a goal or assist in this game (plus the goalie). I know you are talking about Logan, Ahna, who has been fantastic and yes, a little unsung, but she just didn't happen to get a point in this game.
Purehockey

Post by Purehockey »

Somebody should keep track of how many times irondale players take dives.Including there top players.
Melvin44

Post by Melvin44 »

You must be joking? I was at the game and I thought they played their hearts out and never dove. Terrible comment! Maybe look in the mirror.
Last edited by Melvin44 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melvin44

Post by Melvin44 »

Purehockey wrote:Somebody should keep track of how many times irondale players take dives.Including there top players.

You must be joking? I was at the game and I thought they played their hearts out and never dove. Terrible comment! Maybe look in the mirror.

Refs made some questionable calls/no calls but were consistant. I thought Kayla could have rec'd a 10 minute for her boarding(accident but still boarding from behind). I also thought the 2 you speak of were hooked up and down the ice. Again not penalties. RV is just very good at the 1-2 second hook. you get the wrong refs and???

I thought Irondale played great better than I thought they'd be. The score does not tell the story. I thought Roseville also played their hearts out and got the breaks and bounces.

If they play again anything could happen.

In my opinion Roseville is the best team in state and the best team we've played.

Irondale looked very good to me and could go 2-3 with MTKA. You could also throw in Edina in the mix.

Terrible comment!
Purehockey

Post by Purehockey »

Melvin I didnt even see that game. I did see acouple games earlier and it seemed like everytime there top players got pushed to the corner or tided up that they fell down getting a call. I watched 1 of there top players take 2 superman dives arms straight out and only got 1 call I think they teach it. If your tided up fall. Just my opinion..I am in noway saying there not a very good team or that they dont have great players because they do. I just dont like that style of falling and getting calls..
Melvin44

Post by Melvin44 »

Purehockey wrote:Melvin I didnt even see that game. I did see acouple games earlier and it seemed like everytime there top players got pushed to the corner or tided up that they fell down getting a call. I watched 1 of there top players take 2 superman dives arms straight out and only got 1 call I think they teach it. If your tided up fall. Just my opinion..I am in noway saying there not a very good team or that they dont have great players because they do. I just dont like that style of falling and getting calls..
My daughter has played with Gina and Meghan the last 3 years over the summer and I've never witnessed this. I think both are very strong skaters and play hard every shift. Never seen them dive.

They do whatever it takes to get the puck to the net and are sometimes off balance which might result in a fall? They also are 2 of the fastest skaters I've seen and if there's contact at top speed a player can will go down.

All I know that if both will play D1 hockey and are great players and shouldn't be attacked. I love to watch these girls play. Very smart 2 way players.
Purehockey

Post by Purehockey »

I know there great players and thats what surprised me so much. And I would never attack them.I have also seen them play outside of high school hockey and have never seen them dive but I have seen some things that really surprised me in a couple games. I am sorry if I affended anybody thats not what I was trying to do I just wanted to see if anybody else has noticed anything like that with that team.Maybe its the ref's calling penalties everytime somebody falls down.
OntheEdge

Post by OntheEdge »

Melvin44 wrote:All I know that if both will play D1 hockey and are great players and shouldn't be attacked. I love to watch these girls play. Very smart 2 way players.
I haven't seen any dives but I think its silly to say that someone who is going to play D1 hockey can't be questioned. Never question royalty? What is this the UAE? :D
Melvin44

Post by Melvin44 »

OntheEdge wrote:
Melvin44 wrote:All I know that if both will play D1 hockey and are great players and shouldn't be attacked. I love to watch these girls play. Very smart 2 way players.
I haven't seen any dives but I think its silly to say that someone who is going to play D1 hockey can't be questioned. Never question royalty? What is this the UAE? :D
What if rumors caused a D1 team not to consider you. Maybe they consider 2 players equal but because of some dive rumor they select the other girl. Just saying it's not a great thing to accuse someone of doing. I've seen girls dive and flop around like they were shot. Never seen the Irondale girls do this. Remember if you have the puck and are checked, tripped, hooked or held it's a penalty. It's hard to stay on your skates sometimes.

Again you'd hope refs would be able to tell the difference.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Melvin44 wrote:
OntheEdge wrote:
What if rumors caused a D1 team not to consider you. Maybe they consider 2 players equal but because of some dive rumor they select the other girl. Just saying it's not a great thing to accuse someone of doing. I've seen girls dive and flop around like they were shot. Never seen the Irondale girls do this. Remember if you have the puck and are checked, tripped, hooked or held it's a penalty. It's hard to stay on your skates sometimes.

No worries here. I've watched half the Irondale games this year and neither Lorence nor McDonald are big divers. They don't have to be, they are so strong on their skates that they just skate past people. The divers are usually the kids that don't think they can beat whoever is defending.

McDonald seemingly had an offer to play for Harvard when she turned 3. So that was set in stone quite a while ago and off she'll go next year. As far as I know, Lorence hasn't signed with anyone (she's still a junior), but she'll be a heck of a player wherever she goes.

I didn't get to see this game as I was sick, but my wife gave me all the updates. I think Irondale will be fine the rest the year and can be dangerous at state. Edina sure appeared more talented when they played Irondale in the Christmas tourney, but Irondale still pulled it out. So I still think they can beat anyone.

Roseville still has two killer games to get out of their own section before they can worry about state. They absolutely walked around Stillwater in the televised game and still lost. So it can happen. This could easily be a state final preview however.
yeahyeahyeah

Post by yeahyeahyeah »

How can anyone take purehockey seriously I cannot even understand his grammar!
Affend?
SEEN?
They're, there and their 3 words 3 totally different meanings. I think I learned that in 1st or 2nd grade.

What the heck is TIDED? I cannot even decipher what that is supposed to mean...

I cannot even type some of this stuff without my SPELL CHECK going nuts.

noway is actually two words.

good humor though. Funny you are actually criticizing a girl that is going to HARVARD! that there is funny.
OntheEdge

Post by OntheEdge »

Melvin44 wrote:
OntheEdge wrote:

Any D1 scout that would not consider a player because of some wild accusation by an anonymous poster on a hockey board wouldn't be a scout for long. A scout forms his or her own opinion by watching players and talking to their coaches.

Again I haven't seen any dives by Irondale or any other players in girls hockey. I know at least one of the Irondale girls and her character would never allow such a deceitful act (and it has nothing to do with her going D1). The most agregious acting that I've seen is one time when a girl drew a penalty by grabbing another girl's stick and jerked her body to simulate the act of being hooked. I was shocked because I had never seen such a clearly orchestrated act in girls hockey before and frankly thought it not very good sportsmanship.
Last edited by OntheEdge on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Purehockey

Post by Purehockey »

This is getting blown way out of order. I never said this girl or that girl I just wanted to know if any one else noticed anything maybe its just me.
Melvin44

Post by Melvin44 »

[quote="OntheEdge
Any D1 scout that would not consider a player because of some wild accusation by an anonymous poster on a hockey board wouldn't be a scout for long. A scout forms his or her own opinion by watching players and talking to their coaches.

Seems crazy but I'll say you never know. Have you seen some of these scouts? Some scouts barely watch games or only pick players because of stats. Many are excellent and truthfully will let you know what they think of your daughter. Some will keep telling you how interested in they are and then string you along with no offer until maybe their canadien or european player tells them no. Any little comment could effect their selection. You never know. My opinion is don't offer up maybe's unless you're will to tell people who you are.

Purehockey I know your post was innocent. Put it this way. If someone said your daughter was a hack or a diver would you like it?
yeahyeahyeah

Post by yeahyeahyeah »

Looks to me like the only time those two players dive is during goal celebrations! check that they are too classy for that they pat each other on the head and get ready to light the lamp again.
Purehockey

Post by Purehockey »

Your right Melvin sorry I mentioned it.