Goalie Amsley-Benzie from Warroad's "Streak"

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mn miracle man

Goalie Amsley-Benzie from Warroad's "Streak"

Post by mn miracle man »

Goalie, Shelby Amsley-Benzie, of Warroad is currently on a 8 game streak not allowing a goal, and the lady warriors have outscored their opponents 72-0 on this stretch dating back to the championship game of the Kaposia Classic when the Warriors topped Minnetonka 5-0 in the final game. Does anyone know what the state record is for a stat such as this? It seems to be quite unheard of these days...any input?
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

I usually follow the boys, and was bored and just popped my head on this forum.

It's a ridiculously amazing streak for the team, but I would be curious as to how many shots on goal she has faced during this streak. If these are games that are 6,7 shots a game, then credit the play of the 5 skaters on the ice in front of her to prevent shots, but if these are games with 10-20 shots, even more impressive.
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

Goldfishdude wrote:I usually follow the boys, and was bored and just popped my head on this forum.

It's a ridiculously amazing streak for the team, but I would be curious as to how many shots on goal she has faced during this streak. If these are games that are 6,7 shots a game, then credit the play of the 5 skaters on the ice in front of her to prevent shots, but if these are games with 10-20 shots, even more impressive.
Well looking closer it appears the backup goalie, Kallie McBride, had one of the shutouts, but Benzie has stopped 95 shots over that span. So judging from that she has averaged about 14-15 shots per game over the 7 game span which is very impressive. A decent test will come tomorrow night when they travel to Crookston.
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

mn miracle man wrote:
Goldfishdude wrote:I usually follow the boys, and was bored and just popped my head on this forum.

Well looking closer it appears the backup goalie, Kallie McBride, had one of the shutouts, but Benzie has stopped 95 shots over that span. So judging from that she has averaged about 14-15 shots per game over the 7 game span which is very impressive. A decent test will come tomorrow night when they travel to Crookston.

It also depends on the quality of shots taking 2-3 quality shots in a night and 10 blue liners is different than a goalie being shelled, Mind you she is a very good goalie but also has a very good team in front of her.
hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven »

Not important that you view the streak as legitimate or not, for my money she is the best goalie in the state. Not to mention a great kid from a good family…it's no wonder that the Sioux locked her up early.
northwoods oldtimer

15U National

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Making the national team for your age group as a goalie is testament to how good this young lady is. She can play.
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

I understand she's a very good goalie.
But excuse me (and a lot of others I know feel this way) if I don't fawn over these stats coming from THIS team against THAT competition, when the team's top scorers are getting their 3rd and 4th goals of games late in the 3rd period of 16-0 blowouts. After checking some of the boxscores, I'm ready to say to hell with the whole operation up there. Pardon me.
SportsMa

Post by SportsMa »

Bensonmum wrote:I understand she's a very good goalie.
But excuse me (and a lot of others I know feel this way) if I don't fawn over these stats coming from THIS team against THAT competition, when the team's top scorers are getting their 3rd and 4th goals of games late in the 3rd period of 16-0 blowouts. After checking some of the boxscores, I'm ready to say to hell with the whole operation up there. Pardon me.
She is a very good goalie.

It is time though for Warroad, the recruiting machine, to step up to AA. The lack of sportsmanship demonstrated by their coaching staff is mind boggling as others including Bensonmum have pointed out.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

What a streak!
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

SportsMa wrote:

It is time though for Warroad, the recruiting machine, to step up to AA. The lack of sportsmanship demonstrated by their coaching staff is mind boggling as others including Bensonmum have pointed out.
"THAT competition" and what would you mean by that? I stated before that they do have a few pretty terrible teams on their schedule that they also have a nice mix of top teams in the state. I have no defense for the coach up there, but just because you think the head coach has little class gives no reason to call the whole operation a joke. Obviously they are doing something right up there to be putting out the results that they are, and you can't honestly tell me Warroad is the only team in the state putting up very lopsided scores. As for the discussion over AA AGAIN, get over it, Warroad is a small town and small high school, they are where they are. Back to the subject of the forum....Amsley Benzie does have some great teammates in front of her, but does anyone know where someone would find state records such as this? I looked on the MSHSL site but came up short.
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

mn miracle man wrote:
SportsMa wrote:

"THAT competition" and what would you mean by that? I stated before that they do have a few pretty terrible teams on their schedule that they also have a nice mix of top teams in the state. I have no defense for the coach up there, but just because you think the head coach has little class gives no reason to call the whole operation a joke. Obviously they are doing something right up there to be putting out the results that they are, and you can't honestly tell me Warroad is the only team in the state putting up very lopsided scores. As for the discussion over AA AGAIN, get over it, Warroad is a small town and small high school, they are where they are. Back to the subject of the forum....Amsley Benzie does have some great teammates in front of her, but does anyone know where someone would find state records such as this? I looked on the MSHSL site but came up short.
Second try was a success:
From the MSHSL website,
Consecutive Shutouts
8 Katie Beaudry, Blaine/Coon Rapids, 1995-96

So Amsley-Benzie is tied right now for that record and two short for the record for shutouts in a season set by Jennifer Retka of S.S.P in 1995 with 14, while Shelby is at 12.
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

SportsMa wrote:

Warroad has a very nice team, they might be a small school but people go there to play for the scholarship money offered by the Marvins. And the almost unlimited free ice-time that is available, the fact that these kids can play together almost year round is also a real benefit for their program.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

Some comments have been made about their "weak" schedule. Keep in mind that they have to play some of the weak teams around them just for the sake of not having to travel four hours each time to play decent competition. The school can't afford it just like most schools can't. They already play some of the top AA teams as it is in Minnetonka and Edina. The only good competition around them is Crookston, Roseau, and Bemidji. What else can you ask from them? Also in regards to the scholarship, just because you play hockey doesn't mean you will get it. The Marvin's don't write the check right to you. There in an independent panel located in the cities that chooses who gets it. In you application you cannot even use your name or it gets thrown out so it is completely anonymous. Besides, it's all based on community service anyway.
P.S. someone said they should move up to AA. Not in complete disagreement here but don't you think it would make more sense if they won at least one state title in class A first? After that they should. And also, yes. Running up the score in the fashion they do it is probably a little unsportsmanlike. I think I've addressed everything I've read in previous posts.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Part of that "streak was a 4-0 shut out of Bemidji who launched 23 shots. Another went off the cross bar.

Say what you want about Warroad moving up, but they are a small school playing where the MSHSL league said they should. Yes they will run the score up on a team that can't stop them, and that is sad. Maybe some of those schools just shouldn't schedule them.
DANCINHOCKEYDAD

Post by DANCINHOCKEYDAD »

Great job having 7or8 shut outs in a row. That is a tough feat no matter how many shots she faced. Sometimes facing just a few shots is tougher than facing many shots. Sometimes when a goalie hasn't seen many shots they tend to get stiff and can lose focus.
DANCINHOCKEYDAD

Post by DANCINHOCKEYDAD »

Great job having 7or8 shut outs in a row. That is a tough feat no matter how many shots she faced. Sometimes facing just a few shots is tougher than facing many shots. Sometimes when a goalie hasn't seen many shots they tend to get stiff and can lose focus.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

mn miracle man wrote:
mn miracle man wrote:
SportsMa wrote: She is a very good goalie.

Second try was a success:
From the MSHSL website,
Consecutive Shutouts
8 Katie Beaudry, Blaine/Coon Rapids, 1995-96

So Amsley-Benzie is tied right now for that record and two short for the record for shutouts in a season set by Jennifer Retka of S.S.P in 1995 with 14, while Shelby is at 12.
Clear to see why she is already set to go to UND in the fall of 2011 she was an outstanding goalie for the MN Jr Whitecaps Blue Team last summer.
25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power »

4-0 last night?
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

25 sheet power wrote:4-0 last night?
correct, and made 20 saves in the process, should now be the current state record holder!
Just Sayin

Post by Just Sayin »

hometown warrior

Post by hometown warrior »

http://www.mghca.com/game/show/257583?r ... ason=16135

Another proud moment for the coach.
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

at least they played their backup goalie i guess...
25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power »

http://www.mghca.com/game/show/202442?r ... ason=16135
why is no one complaining about this one? Or is it ok to run it up a bit on the private teams?

I think the Warroad boys team beat Roso a few years ago 15-1. Everyone was very happy with that. But oh boy the coach is SCUM!!!!

Also hometown you just need to let it go. dont let hs sports make you crazy! :twisted:
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

25 sheet power wrote:http://www.mghca.com/game/show/202442?r ... ason=16135
why is no one complaining about this one? Or is it ok to run it up a bit on the private teams?

I think the Warroad boys team beat Roso a few years ago 15-1. Everyone was very happy with that. But oh boy the coach is SCUM!!!!

Also hometown you just need to let it go. dont let hs sports make you crazy! :twisted:
From the history page on the Roseau Rams hockey website:

2003-2004 Season
Game 1 (@Roseau): Roseau 1 Warroad 15
Game 2 (@Warroad): Roseau 1 Warroad 5
I believe Game 2 was the first television broadcast of high school hockey by Victory Sports, which later led to the FSN High School Hockey broadcasting
slapshot18

Post by slapshot18 »

Shutout streak is over. The St. Cloud Icebreakers scored on her tonight.