Where to play?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Is the Excel a good place for the Girls Tournament?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 40

starmvp

Where to play?

Post by starmvp » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:25 am

Should the girls state hockey tournament really be played at the Xcel? The place seems empty even for the championship. Mariucci? Ridder? Thoughts?

Girls_Hockey_fan

Post by Girls_Hockey_fan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:47 am

I like Ridder for the State Tourney. The Girls State Tourney attendance more closely matches the capacity of Ridder, which makes the atmosphere more exciting!

OntheEdge

Post by OntheEdge » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:58 am

Girls_Hockey_fan wrote:I like Ridder for the State Tourney. The Girls State Tourney attendance more closely matches the capacity of Ridder, which makes the atmosphere more exciting!
I like Ridder too but in talking to lots of players the girls almost unanimously prefer playing at Xcel. Most of the comments I have heard have to do with the locker room and a chance to play where the Wild plays.
Last edited by OntheEdge on Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:45 am

OntheEdge wrote:
Girls_Hockey_fan wrote:I like Ridder for the State Tourney. The Girls State Tourney attendance more closely matches the capacity of Ridder, which makes the atmosphere more exciting!
I like Ridder too but in talking to lots of players the girls almost unanimously prefer playing at Excel. Most of the comments I have heard have to do with the locker room and a chance to play where the Wild plays.
Very true, you know that almost all the girls want the chance to play on the big ice.

hockeychamp01

Post by hockeychamp01 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:28 pm

i personally had the privlege to play in the X and it was one of the greatest memories of my hs career...ridder is available for other games as well as practices during the offseason so its not a special, you only get to play at the X when you make "the show" so what if it doesnt fill seats, its the whole experience and believe me you can hear the crowd during games.

Reggie

Post by Reggie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:11 am

Ridder :idea:

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:57 am

Reggie wrote:Ridder :idea:
Probably a good option, has it ever been there? I know it has been at Aldrich

Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:11 am

Yes, it was at Ridder before the move to the Excel. The move was driven by lawsuits filed by some hockey parents. Don't know for sure but heard that the plaintiffs kids never made it to State so it is kind of an interesting twist.

Ridder was a great venue since it was packed to the rafters. I took my daughter to watch at the X last year and the games were pretty good but the atmosphere was tomb-like.

pondhockey

Post by pondhockey » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:30 am

Rocket78 wrote:Yes, it was at Ridder before the move to the Excel. The move was driven by lawsuits filed by some hockey parents. Don't know for sure but heard that the plaintiffs kids never made it to State so it is kind of an interesting twist.

Ridder was a great venue since it was packed to the rafters. I took my daughter to watch at the X last year and the games were pretty good but the atmosphere was tomb-like.
This topic has been on the forum every year for years. It comes down to who is the experience for, the players or the fans? My daughter played at the Excel and said after that it was the best experience and there was something about the arena itself that allowed her to really focus on her game. As a parent, the experience you have at a game is up to you. It's your own attitude about it. I personally loved it.

hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:55 am

My vote would be definitely the Excel Energy Center. It's the most prestigious venue in the state so why not play there if it's available? The boys class A doesnt come close to filling it either, although I know they get alot bigger crowd than the girls. Very few girls teams get much of a crowd following anyway.

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:10 pm

hockeywild7 wrote:My vote would be definitely the Excel Energy Center. It's the most prestigious venue in the state so why not play there if it's available? The boys class A doesnt come close to filling it either, although I know they get alot bigger crowd than the girls. Very few girls teams get much of a crowd following anyway.
Very true, boys class A does not even get close to filling the building either.

Gov78

Post by Gov78 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:46 pm

starmvp wrote:
hockeywild7 wrote:My vote would be definitely the Excel Energy Center. It's the most prestigious venue in the state so why not play there if it's available? The boys class A doesnt come close to filling it either, although I know they get alot bigger crowd than the girls. Very few girls teams get much of a crowd following anyway.
Very true, boys class A does not even get close to filling the building either.
But the building is already in use for AA so not nearly the same cost as hosting the A & AA girls.

There's been talk over the years of moving the boys A tournament to an outstate location to get it out from under the shadow of AA and make it the primary event whhich I think is a good idea.

hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:32 pm

Sounds like the majority of the players want to play at the excel why move it elsewhere?

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:55 pm

I think most players would rather play in the shadow of class AA than moving the tournament outstate where there would be much less fans.

pondhockey

Post by pondhockey » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:27 pm

starmvp wrote:I think most players would rather play in the shadow of class AA than moving the tournament outstate where there would be much less fans.
I agree with the first half of this statement, but not the second. You'd be surprised at how many fans fill outstate venues. People who live outside of the metropolitan area are used to driving over an hour or more to go to a game. As an added example, and maybe out of context, but the MIAC D3 semi-quarter game had more fans at a remote southern Minnesota arena than the final game played out East in a large city.

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:53 pm

pondhockey wrote:
starmvp wrote:I think most players would rather play in the shadow of class AA than moving the tournament outstate where there would be much less fans.
I agree with the first half of this statement, but not the second. You'd be surprised at how many fans fill outstate venues. People who live outside of the metropolitan area are used to driving over an hour or more to go to a game. As an added example, and maybe out of context, but the MIAC D3 semi-quarter game had more fans at a remote southern Minnesota arena than the final game played out East in a large city.
So you're telling me that if we played the Class A State Championship game at the Xcel and somewhere else "outstate", there would be more people at the outstate venue?

northshore guy

Post by northshore guy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:16 am

hockeychamp01 wrote:i personally had the privlege to play in the X and it was one of the greatest memories of my hs career...ridder is available for other games as well as practices during the offseason so its not a special, you only get to play at the X when you make "the show" so what if it doesnt fill seats, its the whole experience and believe me you can hear the crowd during games.
Does anyone know if the MSHSL makes any money durings the girls' tournament. Would be a shame to lose money on a big event like this.

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:38 am

northshore guy wrote:
hockeychamp01 wrote:i personally had the privlege to play in the X and it was one of the greatest memories of my hs career...ridder is available for other games as well as practices during the offseason so its not a special, you only get to play at the X when you make "the show" so what if it doesnt fill seats, its the whole experience and believe me you can hear the crowd during games.
Does anyone know if the MSHSL makes any money durings the girls' tournament. Would be a shame to lose money on a big event like this.
The ice is expensive as well as other costs, but with the entry fees I think they make a small profit.

hockey21

Post by hockey21 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:11 pm

The players I have talked to really like playing at the X, it is for them and that is who matters. Give them the memory of playing in the X.

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:39 pm

I may have too much biase by being in the area, but I'd actually like the girls tourney to travel every couple years, especially with the new Duluth DECC Arena opening next December. I know it probably will never happen but it would be nice for the sport to be showcased in different areas sometimes.

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:49 pm

DHMN wrote:I may have too much biase by being in the area, but I'd actually like the girls tourney to travel every couple years, especially with the new Duluth DECC Arena opening next December. I know it probably will never happen but it would be nice for the sport to be showcased in different areas sometimes.
It would be fun to see it up there

wild77

cost

Post by wild77 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:26 am

IMO, this should be a question about costs. Allowing the players to make the choice is nonsensical. It's still the MN girls hockey state tournament whether it's played at the X, Duluth, Ridder, or anywhere else. Go where you can justify the costs and the venue fits the event.

hockey21

Post by hockey21 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:59 am

I think there is an agreement with the Xcel center and the girls state tournament that keeps the cost down. Has anybody heard this?

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:36 am

hockey21 wrote:I think there is an agreement with the Xcel center and the girls state tournament that keeps the cost down. Has anybody heard this?
Have not heard this, but I wouldn't doubt it!

hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:13 am

Why are people against the girls playing at the excel? Money? attendance? The attendance won't go up because you change the venue, actually I think it will be just the opposite as alot of people might want to come and see the excel. There is something out there called title IX also that you need to understand has alot to do with this.