Section 7AA

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

pondhockey2020

Post by pondhockey2020 »

I don’t post on here very often but am a regular to see what is being updated. I couldn’t resist this subject though. A couple unknowlegable people trying to preach why there team is best without bringing out the facts.

-Elk River has two losses this year. Rated #5 -10 in the state depending on what poll you look at. That right there should make them the #1 seed. ALL TOP TEN TEAM SHOULD BE A NUMBER #1 SEED UNLESS SOME ONE IS RANKED HIGHER.

Example: Minnetonka over Hopkins

Here are the facts of the section:

Elk River has beaten these teams with a winning record:
-Alexandria
-Centennial
-Rogers
-Champlin Park
-Anoka
-Mounds View
-White Bear Lake
-Centennial
-North Metro (.500 but have two win-able games left, one being Rochester Mayo who beat PHM)
-Anoka

PHM has beaten these teams with a winning record:
-Breck
-Owatonna
-Cloquet (split against them and a minus 2 in goal-differential)
-Crookston

-Now when you look at the losses:
Elk River
-@ North Metro
Lost 4-1 with an empty net goal. Started the back-up goalie who had never started a varsity game before. Shots 25-21 in favor of Elk River.
-@ Duluth
Lost 1-0 with a first period PP goal. Shots were 2:1 in favor of the Elk River. They played a 7:30pm game the night before in Grand Rapids and then a 1:00 pm in Duluth. You talk to anyone at this game and they will tell you that it was the Paige Turner show and anyone else in net and this game is lopsided.

PHM
-Rochester Mayo
Lost 3-2 but the shots were a 2:1 favor for PHM.
-Minnetonka
Lost 3-2 with a slow road start by Minnetonka. Shots ended up 27-19 in favor of Tonka.
-@ Cloquet
Lost 4-1 in what was the Sarah Gustafson show, who had 46 saves. But as much as she held her team in it, Anja Morris didn’t only stopping 11 of 15 shots she faced.
-Irondale
Lost 4-1 in an even game with shots coming out at 22-22. Once again, PHM was outdueled by the opposing goalie.

-Warroad
Lost 8-0 in a game that was dominated from the arrival of Warroad at the rink. Shots ended at 39-16
-@ Grand Rapids
Lost 2-1 while once again outshooting their opponent by a large margin (25-16). This game alone makes it so PHM can not be the one seed. Head-to-head decides that.

As it goes for strength of schedule, Elk River has played a better schedule then PHM has. And for the soft part of it you blamed your conference which really is only two soft games against Silver Bay and Superior. The rest of the easy games against Hibbing (2), Superior (2nd time), St. Francis, and I’ Falls are your coaches fault. He could have boosted his schedule by dropping Hibbing once and adding the best Class “A” team in the area, Eveleth. Yes, you have played some of the top teams in the state but other than Breck, you have done nothing against them.

You have the chance to schedule 19 of 25 (3 for conference and 3 for Xmas tourney) of your games against anyone you want and you choose to play a cake schedule with a few test here and there. Elk River can only choice 3 of 25 (16 conference games, 3 tournament, one inter-district game, and Moorhead & Alexandria, due to being in Section 8 last year) opponents and they choice pretty well with Grand Rapids, Duluth, and Cloquet.

So the facts are simple:
1. Elk River – Section Record:(1-1-1)
Played the best against the best and ran into two hot section goalies in Gustafson and Turner. Has the head-to-head over Grand Rapids.
2. Grand Rapids – (3-1-2)
Hold the head-to-head over PHM, Cloquet, and Duluth
3. PHM – (3-2)
Hold the head-to-head over Duluth, Split with Cloquet but lost to GRG
4. Cloquet (2-1-3)
Could be switched with #3 depending at how you look at things. Overall PHM is better but in section wise they tied GRG, who PHM lost too and had a plus-2 goal-differential in their games with PHM.
5. Duluth (1-4-2)
Did beat Elk River but one game doesn’t make or break your seed in the section. Watch out though if Paige Turner gets hot for them during the playoffs.
6. Forest Lake
7. Cambridge
8. St. Francis

Sorry for writing so much but it all needed to be said.
hockeyrube7

Post by hockeyrube7 »

Pondhockey, that was beautiful, nice job! How can a 2 loss team be seated below a 6, 8, 11, or 13 lost team? Let alone 4th or even 5th as some would think? Water must be thinner north of HWY 2! I have drank the water from up there though, and I still don't get that.
laker9

Post by laker9 »

pondhockey2020, if you look at my posts at no time have I ever said that I thought PHM was better than or should be seeded higher than Elk River. Based on their record I feel the opposite. My issue was that Elkpower said they have not "played anybody". I simply point out they have played 4 teams better than the best team Elk River has played. That is it. I do find it humerous though that Elk River chooses to play good teams like Duluth, GR, and Cloquet. It is not mentioned in PHM's fluff schedule that they had 5 games against those teams. When they play them, they are not that good then? Elk River is more than likely the best team. I dont care about the opponents records. They have played very few games against high end teams.
rink101

Post by rink101 »

LOOKS LIKE THE GUYS UP NORTH CAN'T SEEM TO GET THE SEEDINGS RIGHT. WHO GOT THE #1 SEED??????? GO ELKS
wild77

Post by wild77 »

rink101 wrote:LOOKS LIKE THE GUYS UP NORTH CAN'T SEEM TO GET THE SEEDINGS RIGHT. WHO GOT THE #1 SEED??????? GO ELKS
elks got the #1 seed, but that doesn't mean they are the best team. here's hoping they get beat in the semis
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

wild77 wrote:
rink101 wrote:LOOKS LIKE THE GUYS UP NORTH CAN'T SEEM TO GET THE SEEDINGS RIGHT. WHO GOT THE #1 SEED??????? GO ELKS
elks got the #1 seed, but that doesn't mean they are the best team. here's hoping they get beat in the semis
Wild77 I hope they get beat in quarter finals!!
wild77

Post by wild77 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
wild77 wrote:
Wild77 I hope they get beat in quarter finals!!
:D
DHMN

Post by DHMN »

Since the board went down all day yesterday..

Duluth beat CEC 2-1 here in Cloquet and gets Elk River down there at 3 pm tomorrow. Paige Turner beat them once.. can she do it on their ice?
DHMN

Post by DHMN »

I had the wrong angle for a better picture.. but Turner stopping Courtney Esse on a breakaway in the first period.. would have made it a much different game had Esse got that one in the net early.

OTHER shots from last night's game.

As for the game itself.. the referees had NO clue the entire game.. calling incidental contact tripping and then not calling actual penalties.. and it was terrible both ways.

Both teams had plenty of chances to score, as both defenses have had trouble most of the season getting the puck out of their zone once it's in. Duluth did a better job of that last night, with Cloquet's Jessie Ryan (the Jacks best/most experienced defenseman) out injured.
elkpower

Post by elkpower »

DHMN wrote:Since the board went down all day yesterday..

Duluth beat CEC 2-1 here in Cloquet and gets Elk River down there at 3 pm tomorrow. Paige Turner beat them once.. can she do it on their ice?
Will the Elks play Three lines or Two? They have rolled three all Year. Will they move to the Grand Rapids style hockey and play the snipers as much as they can?

Elk Goaltender Geisler equal to the Turner task?

If the Elks go two lines Duluth netminder Turner could see 55 + shots. If they go three lines she could see 35- 40 shots. Could this be the difference in the game?

Who are the impact players in this game?

Which team has the advantage on the olympic ice sheet?
BigTen

Post by BigTen »

Final scores:

PHM 3 GRG 2 SOG GRG 29 PHM 25

Elk River 2 Duluth 0 SOG ER 37 Duluth 21
Last edited by BigTen on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
northwoods oldtimer

Best of Luck

2 best teams of the section will meet for the 'ship. Best wishes in representing the section at state.
wild77

Post by wild77 »

I don't see this as being close 4-0 PHM
elkpower

Re: ??

Post by elkpower »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Looking at the 'ELKoholics' schedule it is kind of tough to rank them much higher than where you have them. My guess is they will push hard for a 2 or 3 spot based on record. Losing to Duluth sort of puts them where you have them DHMN. Loss to the 'hounds' is the 'nail in the coffin' despite record :wink:
Looks like this terrible Elks team that should of been seeded 4th just made the finals. Oh My!
elkpower

Post by elkpower »

wild77 wrote:I don't see this as being close 4-0 PHM
Come on lets get real.

PHM 21 Elks 0

The "PHM Nation" is running wild. We should just hand over the trophy now.
elkpower

Post by elkpower »

Duluth was a very good team. Their goal tender Paige Turner was outstanding. I see them getting better next year. Nikki Loggergren also had a nice game. She is sneaky and has good hockey sense. I beleive next year their will be more real tight exciting games against Duluth.

Congrats to Sam Geissler she played another solid game (21 Shots - 3 shut outs in a row).

Duluth parents were classy after the game.
BigTen

Post by BigTen »

Section Final Score:

PHM 4 Elk River 0

Congrats to the Mirage! :D
wild77

Post by wild77 »

elkpower wrote:
Come on lets get real.

PHM 21 Elks 0

:roll:
ilike2score

Post by ilike2score »

elkpower wrote:
Come on lets get real.

PHM 21 Elks 0

Wild77 hit it on the head with the final score 4-0, That is a great hockey mind!!! Total shots on goal for the game were close. In my opinion the difference was two things...First being goaltending...the PHM goalie was very good...Elks goalie...not so. Second PHM seemed to play as a team better. They appeared to attempt more passes to set up plays. The Elks have a very nice player in Number 6. But all she did was get across the BlueLine and do the dangle toe drag move and lost the puck every time. Other Elk players also tried to carry the puck too far when they should have passed or Shot. PHM was much better passing team. I do not watch Girls Hockey much, so take my opinions with a grain of Salt. I did watch this game tonight and the better team did win. I was very impressed with the size of the crowd for a Girls game. I would guess this is a very significant win for the PHM program. I have heard the numbers in their youth girls are very low. Hopefully this breakthrough game will generate interest for their Junior Mirage program.
capitalist

Post by capitalist »

Considering how abrasive and arrogant the ER posters were on this thread, I hope they were 'classy' after the game.
laker9

Post by laker9 »

I just signed on and thought for sure Elkpower would have had a post or two by know. I guess the "they play nobody" schedule worked out ok for PMH. Maybe next year the Elks should schedule nobody. After all, they did play 2 top 20 teams this year. The best team won. Elk River had 0 SOG in last 10 minutes of the game. To be honest Jonna Curtis is a nice player and #18 on D is a solid player. Other than that I did not see much. Curtis is going to need to come inside her own blue line though if she is going to want to be a complete player. Much too much time cherry picking. This game is played on both ends of the ice. Right know she only plays on one end.
wild77

elk river

Post by wild77 »

Yea, I don't want to get down on Elk River, but in the 3 games I have seen them play they appeared to be one dimensional. Jonna has good hands, but if the defensman don't play the dangle, they take away much of her game. This is not a knock on her as everyone has holes in their game AND she still is young. If she gets stronger with the puck she will be a VERY GOOD forward. My argument about seeding was not based upon won loss records or even head to head games. It was based upon seeing each team play multiple times and how I felt they played. I don't think Elk River had the first, second, or third best team in 7AA this year. Just my opinion
northwoods oldtimer

Okay

Looks like this terrible Elks team that should of been seeded 4th just made the finals. Oh My!
Looks like they took a 4 - 0 loss to PHM in the 'chumpship'. Time for elkpower to eat some crow :P :lol: :o
Congrats to PHM very nice win!!
rink101

Post by rink101 »

congrats to proctor great game and a great win.I would like to see the section championship game moved to a real nutrual site.not ten miles from proctors home rink.their was mabe 100 ER fans to 500plus proctor fans.I suggest moving the finals to St. Cloud or ??? :lol:
wild77

Post by wild77 »

rink101 wrote:congrats to proctor great game and a great win.I would like to see the section championship game moved to a real nutrual site.not ten miles from proctors home rink.their was mabe 100 ER fans to 500plus proctor fans.I suggest moving the finals to St. Cloud or ??? :lol:
Which is why it is frsutrating for us nordern folk to have southern teams thrown in our section. We need to convince Hibbing, Evelth Gilbert and I Falls to play in 7AA and keep these games in the North! No offense, just want a true northern representative at the State Tournament