2011 MN AP All state and Honorable mention

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

flyingV

2011 MN AP All state and Honorable mention

Post by flyingV »

2011 Minnesota AP All-State girls hockey team
By The Associated Press
Updated: 03/02/2011 04:05:17 PM CST

The Associated Press 2011 All-State team for Minnesota girls hockey, as voted on by statewide media:
PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Julie Friend, Minnetonka

FIRST TEAM
F—Karley Sylvester, sr, Warroad
F—Meghan Lorence, sr, Mounds View
F—Rachael Bona, sr, Coon Rapids
D—Rachel Ramsey, sr, Minnetonka
D—Milica McMillen, jr, Breck
G—Julie Friend, sr, Minnetonka

SECOND TEAM
F—Layla Marvin, sr, Warroad
F—Hannah Brandt, jr, Hill-Murray
F—Taylor Kuehl, sr, Mound-Westonka
D—Sam LaShomb, jr, South St. Paul
D—Emma Stauber, sr, Proctor/Hermantown/Duluth Marshall
G—Shelby Amsley-Benzie, sr, Warroad

HONORABLE MENTION
FORWARD:
Amanda Arbogast, sr, Eveleth-Gilbert
Krystal Baumann, sr, Farmington
Megan Bergland, sr, Faribault
Kayla Blomberg, sr, Monticello
Marissa Brandt, sr, Hill-Murray
Christie Brauer, sr, Edina
Brianna Breiland, so, Crookston
Sara Carlson, jr, Hutchinson
Claire Cripps, jr, Hutchinson
Hillary Crowe, sr, Blake
Jonna Curtis, jr, Elk River/Zimmerman
Lizzy Desrocher, sr, Brainerd/Little Falls
Kaylen Erchul, sr, Eveleth-Gilbert
Morgan Fritz-Ward, sr, Lakeville South
Kayla Gardner, so, Warroad
Sierra Hanowski, so, Brainerd/Little Falls
Claire Illies, sr, Alexandria
Molly Illikainen, jr, Grand Rapids/Greenway
Leah Jensen, sr, East Grand Forks
Shannon Kaiser, sr, Crookston
Rachael Kelly, sr, Rosemount
Rebekah Kolstad, 8th, Mankato East
Katy Kvasnicka, sr, Mankato West
Alli LaCombe, sr, Eden Prairie
Margo Lund, sr, Hill-Murray
Megan Lushanko, jr, Chisago Lakes
Paige Lysne, sr, Owatonna
Lisa Marvin, so, Warroad
Cailyn McCauley, sr, Owatonna
Allison Micheletti, sr, Rosemount
Kayla Moe, sr, Eveleth-Gilbert
Abby Ness, sr, Roseau
Rachel Peters, sr, Marshall
Amy Petersen, so, Minnetonka
Savannah Quandt, so, Mankato East
Kendra Rasmussen, sr, Sartell/Sauk Rapids
Sami Reber, sr, Edina
Dani Schultz, sr, Morris/Benson
Brianna Seebold, jr, Detroit Lakes
Emily Snodgrass, sr, Eastview

DEFENSE:
Jordyn Burns, sr, Benilde-St. Margaret's
Paige Haley, so, Red Wing
Audrey Hanmer, sr, Forest Lake
Sam Hanson, jr, White Bear Lake
Caitlin Hewes, sr, Stillwater
Brittany Huneke, sr, Hastings
Morgan Illikainen, sr, Grand Rapids/Greenway
Libby Otto, sr, Stillwater
Nicole Schaub, sr, White Bear Lake
Lee Stecklein, jr, Roseville
Lauren Wilcox, jr, South St. Paul

GOALIE:
Crystal Amunrud, sr, Coon Rapids
Erin Barnes-Olson, sr, Crookston
Chloe Billadeau, sr, Blake
Therese Coughlan, sr, Mankato West
Maddie Dahl, jr, Edina
Katie Felton, sr, South St. Paul
Erika Hanson, sr, Centennial
Kierra Howard, sr, Brainerd/Little Falls
Chelsea Laden, sr, Lakeville South
Haley Morningstar, sr, Buffalo
Samantha Ubl, sr, Anoka
Tiana Press, sr, Benilde-St. Margaret's
Keshia Reuvers, sr, Owatonna
Shyler Sletta, sr, New Prague
HSRef77

Post by HSRef77 »

There are a lot of great players on the list, but how did they miss Hayley Hill from White Bear? She led a strong team in goals and assists. Signed, Dumbfounded........
capitalist

Post by capitalist »

Don't worry about it--you can dismiss this one right out of hand. 3 players from Eveleth-Gilbert, 3 from Owatonna, and 1 from Roseville. 'Nuff said.

And they have no idea what team Meghan Lorence plays for.
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

HSRef77 wrote:There are a lot of great players on the list, but how did they miss Hayley Hill from White Bear? She led a strong team in goals and assists. Signed, Dumbfounded........
It is baffling. Hayley had 62 points in the regular season -- tied for 11th in total number of points in the State. She played in one of the most competitive AA conferences and received an MCGHA All State Honorable Mention. We can only assume this was an oversight on AP's part as she clearly should be on the list.
hockey_rocker

Post by hockey_rocker »

jumpstart wrote:
HSRef77 wrote:There are a lot of great players on the list, but how did they miss Hayley Hill from White Bear? She led a strong team in goals and assists. Signed, Dumbfounded........
It is baffling. Hayley had 62 points in the regular season -- tied for 11th in total number of points in the State. She played in one of the most competitive AA conferences and received an MCGHA All State Honorable Mention. We can only assume this was an oversight on AP's part as she clearly should be on the list.
Said it before, I'll say it again, the only one that matters is the one the coaches vote on, that is announced at the miss hockey banquet. So, don't take it out on your coach when you see these press teams, it has nothing at all to do with them. Nice to see Schaub get the recognition she deserves though. Seems strange that Hill would not make this list though.
talkhockey

Post by talkhockey »

I actually see this list as good as any. Remember, with any list who do you take off to add? Not to mention there are players that did not make any list that are just as worthy. Here are a few I could easily see there.

Stoltz, Peake – Moundsview
Sparks – Eagan
Eder Zedlick – Stillwater
Evenson –Roseville

Any player that has been displayed is worthy of the distinction. My problem with all these lists this year has been the omission of Hanmer (FL) from the All State list and Hirsch (Maple Grove) from any list. This is criminal. Maybe they should poll the players I bet you get a slightly different list.
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

talkhockey wrote:I actually see this list as good as any. Remember, with any list who do you take off to add? Not to mention there are players that did not make any list that are just as worthy. Here are a few I could easily see there.

Sparks – Eagan
Evenson –Roseville

Any player that has been displayed is worthy of the distinction. My problem with all these lists this year has been the omission of Hanmer (FL) from the All State list and Hirsch (Maple Grove) from any list. This is criminal. Maybe they should poll the players I bet you get a slightly different list.
The problem lies in many places with these list and in many forms,
Some Coaches are new and or do not know how to market their kids Some do not give there kids publicity to be seen by the AP( pioneer press Startrib, etc) some teams are in closer proximity to the news papers and there for get more publicity. I think we can agree that there are a lot of very good players left off of these list for one reason or another and congrats to those who made them.

Remember to play with your hearts and above all remember to love the game!
wild77

Post by wild77 »

hockeya1a wrote:
talkhockey wrote:I actually see this list as good as any. Remember, with any list who do you take off to add? Not to mention there are players that did not make any list that are just as worthy. Here are a few I could easily see there.

Sparks – Eagan
Evenson –Roseville

The problem lies in many places with these list and in many forms,
Some Coaches are new and or do not know how to market their kids Some do not give there kids publicity to be seen by the AP( pioneer press Startrib, etc) some teams are in closer proximity to the news papers and there for get more publicity. I think we can agree that there are a lot of very good players left off of these list for one reason or another and congrats to those who made them.

Remember to play with your hearts and above all remember to love the game!
Good posts and unfortunately true. many coaches do not know how to market players. Others are so good at it it can be frustrating. It's my experience that coaches at the next level have 0 interest in these lists. One of the speakers at the Ms. Hockey Banquet remarked that no one out East cared that she was a Ms. Hockey winner. Big deal to her and us, but not to anyone out East. If you made the list...nice job....if you didn't, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Just keep working hard and enjoy the game.
Melvin44

Post by Melvin44 »

I'll add my two cents.

Leaving Hayley Hill from WBL off is a JOKE. 62 POINTS! Yes, others might also deserve it but 62 POINTS.

People in charge did not do their homework.
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

Melvin44 wrote:I'll add my two cents.

Leaving Hayley Hill from WBL off is a JOKE. 62 POINTS! Yes, others might also deserve it but 62 POINTS.

People in charge did not do their homework.
No argument here!