2012 - 2013 Minnesota D3 commits

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockey_for_fun

2012 - 2013 Minnesota D3 commits

Post by hockey_for_fun » Tue May 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Moved this info from the 2011-2012 D3.

Not Authenticated -copied mostly from the USCHO web link.

Augsburg
Claire Cripps.............................F.............. .. (Hutchinson)
Kayle Fuechtmann.....................F..................Centennial HS
Brittany Palmer.........................F..................Blaine HS
Megan Bergland....................... F .................Thief River Falls HS

BETHEL UNIVERSITY
Caroline Kivisto.........................F................. Minnesota Thoroughbreds
Erika Allen................................G............. .....Roseville Area
Hayley Hill.................................F....................White Bear Lake HS
Jill Larson.................................F....................Maple Grove HS
Mara Raymond………………............D…….........…… Minnehaha Academy
Kayla Coller..............................F.....................White Bear Lake HS

Concordia Moorhead
Karissa Olson...........................F..................... Eden Prairie HS

Concordia-Wisconsin
Katherine Pauletti…………........F……… Roseville High School
Jenna Brown……………..........…F……… Roseville High School
Olivia Vogel……………...........…F……… Andover High School
Chelsea Reagan……........……..D……... Tartan High School
Michelle Musil…………..........….F……… North Metro
Megan Williams…………...........F……….Chaska/Chanhassen

Gustavus
Lindsey Hibbard...................G....................MN Thoroughbreds
Tara Hoverstad................... G ..................Blaine HS
Emily Reibert .......................F ..................South St. Paul

HAMLINE UNIVERSITY
Mary Shefvelin............G.......MN Thoroughbreds........... Maple Grove, MN
Jenny Magill.................D.................Hill Murray HS

MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE
Carly Schaeder............F............ (Breck School)...............

St. Benedict
Samantha Scobee.....................G....................... ........Mound Westonka
Kaitlyn Armstrong.....................F................................Centennial HS

St. Catherine University
Katie McCann ......................D...................... Cambridge HS
Michele McDonald............... D........................ International Falls HS
Laurel Prodahl......................F ....................... Buffalo HS
Maureen Ryan ..................... D...................... Cretin Derham Hall HS
Alex White ...........................D ....................... Forest Lake HS
Annie Buttermore ................ F ......................... Mahtomedi HS

St. Mary's University
Tori Hermann..........................G.........................Elk River/Zimmerman
Katie Letourneau .................... F.........................White Bear Lake HS

St. Olaf
Kelly McGarvey ........................F........................ Edina HS

St. Scholastica
Nikki Logergren .......................F.........................Duluth East HS

University of St. Thomas
Tori Bailey ......................D...............................Lakeville South HS
Kalie Grochowski .............D ..............................Mound Westonka HS
Courtney Umland ..............D ............................Maple Grove HS
Nuala Flood ......................D ........................... Cretin Derham Hall HS

UW River Falls
Leah Gefroh...........F..............MN Thoroughbreds.......... Bloomington, MN
Gillian McDonald.........G..............Irondale

Wisconsin Eau Claire
Tori Heller ..................... F.......................... Hill Murray HS
Taylor Bowker ............... F ........................ Cambridge HS
Maddie Denny ..............G.......................... Andover HS

Wisconsin-Stevens Point

Wisconsin-Superior
Caitlin Hunt ....................D........................ Thief River Falls HS

flyingV

2012-2013 D3

Post by flyingV » Tue May 08, 2012 9:05 pm

Gustavus.......Brianna Seebold........F............Detroit Lakes High School

allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Looking at that list, I'm impressed with the list of kids going to Augsburg. A program that has been at the bottom of the MIAC for a long time, seems to be getting a lot better.

I'm also told Denny is going to Concordia Mrhd, not UW Eau Claire.

deacon64

Post by deacon64 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:11 pm

Sorry but not impressed with Div III paying $40k in tuition.... Who really is ahead. MN needs some public Div III schools in both mens and womens hockey.

OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:31 pm

deacon64 wrote:Sorry but not impressed with Div III paying $40k in tuition.... Who really is ahead. MN needs some public Div III schools in both mens and womens hockey.
Get good grades, be active in your community and/or extracurriculars and you won't have to pay $40k in tuition. Also, while they are not in MN, there are plenty of good public Div III schools just across the border in the UW system.

deacon64

Post by deacon64 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:40 am

OnFrozenPond wrote:Also, while they are not in MN, there are plenty of good public Div III schools just across the border in the UW system.
That is the question why none in MN, do privates have some controll over this, hard to believe not a single Divison III college in MN. Sounds fishy.

allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:57 am

deacon64 wrote:
OnFrozenPond wrote:Also, while they are not in MN, there are plenty of good public Div III schools just across the border in the UW system.
That is the question why none in MN, do privates have some controll over this, hard to believe not a single Divison III college in MN. Sounds fishy.
????? Who would you suggest MN Morris, or Crookston? The difference is we 4 D1 programs (plus a 5th on the MN/ND border) to Wisconsin's 1........there aren't many other schools that are public and could field a hockey team. I heard a rumor last year that MN Moorhead had a proposal to fund a D1 mens and womens program, but didn't get the financial support they needed to get it off the ground.

JJhockeySS

Post by JJhockeySS » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:04 am

deacon64 wrote:Sorry but not impressed with Div III paying $40k in tuition....
If you go D3 and pay 40K then the kid hasn't taken care of their number one priority and that is to perform well in the classroom!!!!!! Parents need to understand that kids who are strong in the classroom, have a good sense of community, and are well rounded individuals pay around 10-20K to go to a private college. That means they are getting a very good education for public school rates, and can play a sport sometimes 2 at a high level. Until there is pro women's hockey I feel this is one of the best college routes a kid can take.

deacon64

Post by deacon64 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:55 am

Not suggesting anything, simply odd that not a single Division III public college in MN with men or women hockey. That is all nothing else.

What about the kid without good grades while tries their best and good person....no scholarship, so $40k.

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:15 pm

My guess is that the cost of supporting - and even starting - a hockey program is what's stopping MN public universities from doing so at the DIII level. I'm stuned that some of the existing private schools haven't dropped the sport - men's & women's - based on the costs alone to maintain.

I would strongly urge any DIII player to consider looking into the private schools in MN before making a final choice to go into WI public or not play at all. Many would be interested to find that the bottom line is not that different if you have decent academics and your parents aren't worth millions.

Lastly - I know some have asked the hypothetical question of "what if their kid didn't play any sports and instead just banked all that $ over 12-15 years for college $" I don't know if you can put a price tag on what kids get out of an athletic experience and especially that of a team. Life lessons, etc., etc. - I know we've all heard this. Intersting thought - but I think the key is to keep the kids focused on life priorities in this order:
1) Personal Health
2) Faith/Family
3) School
4) Hockey
5) Everything else (friends, work, etc.)* Maybe even some of this should come before hockey at times to be well-rounded.

Hieronymus

Post by Hieronymus » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:24 pm

ghs, I agree completely. You cannot put a price tag on the experience. My kid would not be the person she is today if it weren't for her sports experiences. She was an above average hockey player and student but not a stand out in either area. She isn't artistic so if she hadn't played sports how would she have spent her spare time? Sports taught her to budget her time, work toward a goal, deal with conflict and disappointment. Plus, it's fun! These kids have the rest of their lives to work.

The lessons learned and experience gained are immeasurable. If I had the choice I'd do it all over again and she has said the same.

I concur with the comments about the cost of school. There are many schools, especially some out east, where once they factor in scholarship money (even for kids that don't have a 4.0 and 30+ ACT scores) the cost isn't that much more than going to the U. Be sure you look before you just assume you cannot afford it. You might be surprised.

Bandy

Post by Bandy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:44 am

allhoc11 wrote: difference is we 4 D1 programs (plus a 5th on the MN/ND border) to Wisconsin's 1.........
Actually, we have 5. You're forgetting about U of M - Twin Cities.

chasinghockey

Post by chasinghockey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:04 am

Hamline.........Megan Gjere...D.......Irondale

inthestands

Post by inthestands » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:43 am

deacon64 wrote:Not suggesting anything, simply odd that not a single Division III public college in MN with men or women hockey. That is all nothing else.

What about the kid without good grades while tries their best and good person....no scholarship, so $40k.
There are options for those kids as well. They just don't include hockey as an option.

Without good grades in HS, college is a tough road for most.

#2 Hockey Mom

Post by #2 Hockey Mom » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Superior...........Hayley Epema-Crookston D

electricsaber

Post by electricsaber » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:09 am

allhoc11 wrote:
deacon64 wrote:
????? Who would you suggest MN Morris, or Crookston? The difference is we 4 D1 programs (plus a 5th on the MN/ND border) to Wisconsin's 1........there aren't many other schools that are public and could field a hockey team. I heard a rumor last year that MN Moorhead had a proposal to fund a D1 mens and womens program, but didn't get the financial support they needed to get it off the ground.
MNSCU campuses and MN Crookston are DII schools. The only public MN DIII campus is MN Morris and they do not have a hockey program.