LPH Senior Goalie of the Year Semifinalists

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Carrollgs

LPH Senior Goalie of the Year Semifinalists

Post by Carrollgs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:22 pm

Let's Play Hockey newspaper has announced its 10 semifinalists for Senior Goalie of the Year Award:

They are:

Cassie Alexander, Lakeville North

Katie Beckman, Cloquet/Esko/Carlton

Erin Deters, Sartell/Sauk Rapids

Casey Hartfiel, Orono

Lindsey Hartfiel, Buffalo

Dayton Hilgert, Warroad

McKenzie Johnson, Eden Prairie

Sydney Rossman, Minnetonka

Abbi White, Forest Lake

Alexys Woodward, Hill-Murray

The winner will be announced at the Ms. Hockey Awards Banquet on Feb. 24, at the St. Paul RiverCentre.

More information at www.letsplayhockey.com

stagefright

Post by stagefright » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:18 pm

Where's the GRG goalie. She won Hobby Baker last year...shame on LPH

stagefright

Post by stagefright » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:21 pm

Sorry Hobey Baker

MinnGirlsHockey

Post by MinnGirlsHockey » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:28 pm

stagefright wrote:Where's the GRG goalie. She won Hobby Baker last year...shame on LPH
stagefright wrote:Sorry Hobey Baker
I think one major thing that hurt Helmbrecht's chances was her team's (GRG's) win-loss record. I think it's rare when a .500 team (or sub-.500 team) gets a goalie on this list, much less the finalist list. I don't agree with this (based on the stated selection criteria -- see below) but I think it's generally been true. Rolando from Tartan was a finalist 3 years ago playing on a sub-.500 team but I can't think of too many others in recent years.

Some off-ice criteria is supposed to be considered as well. The below info is taken from the Hub:
The Senior Goalie of the Year Award is presented to the top senior girls' high school hockey goaltender in the state, based on the following criteria: academics, community/extra-curricular activities, citizenship, coachability and, of course, on-ice performance.

The candidates are identified based on nominations by their coaches. The selection of the top 10 candidates, then the five finalists, and ultimately the winner, is based on consultations with a panel of Division I and III college women’s coaches from the states of Minnesota and Wisconsin, as well as a panel of high school coaches.

From a separate pre-season thread:
Homer wrote:Who are the preseason favorites to be finalists for Sr. goalie of the year?
Shall we expect to see only the goalies from the top teams with the most D1 players in front of them, as in years past?
I think the answer to the 2nd question will be "yes".
allhoc11 wrote:
Homer wrote:Who are the preseason favorites to be finalists for Sr. goalie of the year?
I'd say Rossman (tonka) and Johnson (EP) are the top two, after that there are some other good candidates, Deters, Helmbrecht, Hartfiel, Sampson, Acheson are a few of the top ones that would be on my list.
Helmbrecht, Sampson & Acheson did not make it as semi-finalists. It's interesting that Acheson's teammate (Beckman) made the list, even though Acheson played more minutes, saw a lot more shots and their save percentages are almost identical. I suppose LPH felt like they couldn't take both C-E-C goalies and/or perhaps some of the off-ice criteria came into play here.

goaliepad

2013 Goaltender of the Year Semifinalists

Post by goaliepad » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:42 am

Congratulations to all of the Semifinalists this year that were nominated for 2013 Goaltender of the Year. WELL DESERVED!!!!!!

fivehole628

Re: 2013 Goaltender of the Year Semifinalists

Post by fivehole628 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:59 pm

Deters or L. Hartfiel deserve it.

fivehole628

Re: 2013 Goaltender of the Year Semifinalists

Post by fivehole628 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:38 pm

fivehole628 wrote:Deters or L. Hartfiel deserve it.
Rossman wins it.