Achiever Academy Roster

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Racki2016

Achiever Academy Roster

Post by Racki2016 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:03 am

Anyone have information on where girls are coming from to form a team?

D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:59 am

I would imagine their roster will be very young. I might speculate that their kids could come via the current Reebok Nationals program. The school is based in Eagan. Knowing the history of the coach, he won't have a problem finding talent. He is generally credited with helping BSM with the awesome senior class they now have, and Breck with the outstanding underclass. If this school takes off and has hockey success, it could change the way things work rather significantly. My question is, who will schedule them?

Racki2016

Post by Racki2016 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:08 pm

can't imagine he will pull in top talent being a new program. Maybe convince some parents of avg 9th/10th grade girls to make the switch.

Maybe he is looking out state or greater Mn area. either way, its getting to crunch time - season will be here before we know it.

are they playing A or AA ?

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:43 pm

NOBODY should schedule them!!!
I CAN'T believe the MSHSL allowed them in. It's unreal!

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Rocketwrister wrote:I CAN'T believe the MSHSL allowed them in.
If they abide by MSHSL rules, why not :?:

allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:08 pm

Based on where the players who are rumored to be attending there are from, it's hard to imagine a way they followed MSHSL rules. Seems like they have more in common with SSM (at least how they get players, not based on talent), than your average HS team. I do know they have been contacting high level youth entering 8th and 9th grade fairly heavily as well. It will be entertaining to see how this plays out.

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:46 am

I'm willing to bet that CP will be getting kids from all over the country. And I think the more kids that come to the state of hockey, the more kids that will learn and enjoy the game, and hopefully share the experience of this great game with their kids...down the road. You can never have enough people who are fans of the game!

If they don't want to attend regular schools, and want to play hockey more, than I guess that is that kid's and families choice. Probably not the mainstream choice, and probably not one I would make, but it may work for some.

Coachk

Post by Coachk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:04 am

They will come until the word gets out on the level of play in class A hockey. Also no Reebok National players are playing on the team. One person in the organization who is more qualified, is not to happy to see Herb Peterson hired.

BP

Post by BP » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:19 am

Rocketwrister wrote:NOBODY should schedule them!!!
I CAN'T believe the MSHSL allowed them in. It's unreal!
I supppose if people from out of state are willing to send their kids to an ice arena for school for 13k with moderators as teachers, they'd be willing to get a cheap apt and change their bills over.

Hockeychops09

Post by Hockeychops09 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:52 pm

Coachk wrote:They will come until the word gets out on the level of play in class A hockey. Also no Reebok National players are playing on the team. One person in the organization who is more qualified, is not to happy to see Herb Peterson hired.
I didn't know Norhern Educate has announced it's roster yet ?
You obviously don't know anything about the organization since his name is Chris Peterson not Herb !

Coachk

Post by Coachk » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:55 am

It is obvious that you are clueless to MN hockey as my reference to "Herb" was Chris Peterson being talked about like he was Herb Brooks. I know many involved with Northern Educate and frankly I have forgot more about Minnesota Hockey then you know. I am also quite sure Chris Peterson is not known all over the country as referenced in a previous post. For Minnesota the community based approach is the most successful and with its flaws, is the best for Minnesota. Other states have different approaches and are successful as well, but hockey is not a one size fits all. It all depends on numbers. My main point is that a player recruited from Chicago Mission, would not be happy with the level of play with some of the class A high school teams. Players in Minnesota that want that level of play already have a Tier 1 team called the Minnesota Thoroughbreds.

MinnGirlsHockey

Post by MinnGirlsHockey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:02 am

Racki2016 wrote:can't imagine he will pull in top talent being a new program. Maybe convince some parents of avg 9th/10th grade girls to make the switch.

Maybe he is looking out state or greater Mn area. either way, its getting to crunch time - season will be here before we know it.

are they playing A or AA ?
It looks like they've been assigned to Section 4A.

Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:08 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:I CAN'T believe the MSHSL allowed them in.
If they abide by MSHSL rules, why not :?:
Based on the their website, these kids skate for 3 hours every morning. In addition it appears they skate everyday from the first day of school, thru-out the season.

I know MSHSL has rules regarding allowable ice time. How does Achiever Academy get around this rule?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:52 am

Goalie-Dad wrote:I know MSHSL has rules regarding allowable ice time. How does Achiever Academy get around this rule?
Can you point to the specific MSHSL bylaw that governs allowable ice time? I did a quick look and didn't see anything that limits how often, or how long, a team (or player) can be on the ice during the season. I did see the bylaw what specifies when the season and "organized practices" can begin:

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/Publications ... C.htm?ne=8

Knight7

Post by Knight7 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:32 am

Goali-dad and MHF

Ever hear of Captain's practice. They will use the same concept where they get training from qualified coaches that are not coaches from Achiever Academy.

It is no different than a parent or Winny's OS staff coming in to run a captain's practice for your HS team. Who runs your Capt's practices at your school. I know Winny and her staff has been running ours for the last few years. 1 hour a day for 2 weeks before the season.

I'm sure CP has a few contacts that would be more than happy to do this for him. Seems to me that whoever runs the practices will be able to get them ready by the time CP hits the ice with his staff in November.

I don't think the MSHSL has an answer to this as this is a newer concept and the MSHSL likes to put their heads in the sand and hopes it will take care of itself. Maybe the coaches will get together and find a way to limit contact during the off-season. Problem is almost every program does this in some form or another. Just not as many hours as a lot of their players play fall sports and do other things also. AA is going to the extreme end and is set up as a hockey school that educates within the guidelines set out by the MSHSL.

Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:16 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Goalie-Dad wrote:I know MSHSL has rules regarding allowable ice time. How does Achiever Academy get around this rule?
Can you point to the specific MSHSL bylaw that governs allowable ice time? I did a quick look and didn't see anything that limits how often, or how long, a team (or player) can be on the ice during the season. I did see the bylaw what specifies when the season and "organized practices" can begin:

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/Publications ... C.htm?ne=8
I don't see any rule regarding ice time per day. I thought there was some kind of hours/day practice rule. I guess most high school practice times are a product of available ice time and giving the kids time for school work.

And if they bring in non-coaches for "captains practices" they can skate around the MSHSL rules for official practice start times.

For another forum, but I am still curious how they fulfill academic requirements for Math, Science, Languages, PE and Art. Are these kids targeting a college or an extended hockey career?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Goalie-Dad wrote:For another forum, but I am still curious how they fulfill academic requirements for Math, Science, Languages, PE and Art.
If they count all the ice time as PE, they should have no problem meeting that requirement! ;) For the true academics, I suppose we'll have to wait and see how the kids do on their ACT's and SAT's before passing judgement on the quality of the high school education they're receiving.
Goalie-Dad wrote:Are these kids targeting a college or an extended hockey career?
It appears that their primary motivator would be to become better hockey players - good enough to attract the attention of college coaches and (hopefully) one or more scholarship offers. In this respect it's much like Shattuck-St. Mary's, but SSM does have conventional school classroom study while playing an extended AAA hockey schedule. A BIG difference compared to the Class A competition that Achiever Academy will primarily be facing, at least initially.

Knight7

Post by Knight7 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Goalie-dad

They can get any class in an online school. They have classes 1-12 grades online that are accredited. They will have tutors available during their schooling part of the day. They are looking for a college education in non-traditional way.

Hockey is the driving force in this school the same way it is at Shattuck. The difference is they will play by the MSHSL rules playing 25 games per season, going section 4A to get to state. They will play/practice within the time frames every other school in the state.

Like it or not it's coming. Now they may opt to a Shattuck type of school in a few years when they are more established but this is a logical course of action today for them.

Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:06 pm

There is absolutely no comparison in any aspect between Shattuck St Mary's and the Achiever online whatever it is. Please don't disrespect a school with history that dates back to the 1850's and is more than a place to play hockey.

luckyEPDad

Re: f

Post by luckyEPDad » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:35 pm

Tenoverpar wrote:There is absolutely no comparison in any aspect between Shattuck St Mary's and the Achiever online whatever it is. Please don't disrespect a school with history that dates back to the 1850's and is more than a place to play hockey.
For comparison's sake you'd have to say that SSM has only been around since the early 1990's. The school we know know bears little resemblance to what nearly failed before that. Without the sports focus there'd be no school.

Knight7

Post by Knight7 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 pm

tenover.

No respect intended. The comparison is valid in the sense that they want to build a hockey program that brings in the best players where ever they live. Also they skate all school year long. I see SSM them in the Elite 1 hockey starting in September.
Seems to me SSM has many players from outside of Minnesota and play about 65 games during the season. Years ago the SSM boys left Minnesota HS hockey to forge their own path. Good for them. They had to start somewhere.
AA this is their start. Whatever direction they take their program will be up to those that are running it. I don't expect them to compete for the Nat'l title next year.

royals dad

Post by royals dad » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:00 pm

Knight7 wrote:tenover.

No respect intended. The comparison is valid in the sense that they want to build a hockey program that brings in the best players where ever they live. Also they skate all school year long. I see SSM them in the Elite 1 hockey starting in September.
Seems to me SSM has many players from outside of Minnesota and play about 65 games during the season. Years ago the SSM boys left Minnesota HS hockey to forge their own path. Good for them. They had to start somewhere.
AA this is their start. Whatever direction they take their program will be up to those that are running it. I don't expect them to compete for the Nat'l title next year.
NSA or NAHA might be a little bit closer comparison, although less known here in Minnesota. Do you know if non-local players are in dorms or billeted for achiever? I think there are some fair concerns about them playing in the MSHL just from a level playing field point of view. I know they seem concerned about teams having more than 2 scrimmages, it would seem strange to me that they wouldn't care about a captains practice that was 3 hours a day the whole off season. Does that mean the actual coaches cant even be in the building until October and then need to exit again in March?

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:02 pm

SSM did not leave the MSHSL by choice, there was a problem with the number of out of state players on their roster. They are still involved with MSHSL in all activities but hockey. Is Achiever also going to be a college prep school such as SSM?

Knight7

Post by Knight7 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Good point about NSA/NAHA most don't know those programs. I believe they need a Minnesota address. As far as a level playing field do we need to go back to BSM/H-M/Breck/Blake etc. Are they any different?

Royals dad, Hopkins can have 3 hours a day captain's practice if the parents and kids want it. Chances at other schools, there would be a revolt there as kids are playing fall sports or just doing school things.

Sure coaches can be in any public building, your coach can too. Just can't be on ice or directing practice. I know that is splitting hairs as a coach could write a practice plan and allow someone else run the plan. Could happen at Hopkins or Irondale or anywhere else for that matter.

royals dad

Post by royals dad » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:56 am

Knight7 wrote:Good point about NSA/NAHA most don't know those programs. I believe they need a Minnesota address. As far as a level playing field do we need to go back to BSM/H-M/Breck/Blake etc. Are they any different?

Royals dad, Hopkins can have 3 hours a day captain's practice if the parents and kids want it. Chances at other schools, there would be a revolt there as kids are playing fall sports or just doing school things.

Sure coaches can be in any public building, your coach can too. Just can't be on ice or directing practice. I know that is splitting hairs as a coach could write a practice plan and allow someone else run the plan. Could happen at Hopkins or Irondale or anywhere else for that matter.
Not sure that we could afford 3 hours of ice a day, that is one thing about captains practice money cant go through the school or even a booster club. I think they can do it but there will be alot of hoops to jump through which is why I dont think we have seen something like this before. Here are the MSHSL by laws:

2. During the School Year, Prior To and Following the High School Sports Season:
A. A student may participate as an individual competitor or as a member of a non-school team provided that the student’s
participation is voluntary and not influenced or directed by a salaried or non-salaried member of the student’s
sophomore, B-squad, junior varsity or varsity high school coaching staff in that sport.
B. Students may not use any type of high school uniform.
C. A student may not receive coaching or training from a salaried or non-salaried member of the student’s sophomore, Bsquad, junior varsity or varsity high school coaching staff in that sport. Power skating and indoor soccer are included in
this limitation.
D. A student may receive coaching or training including private lessons from a person who is not a salaried or non-salaried
member of the student’s sophomore, B-squad, junior varsity or varsity high school coaching staff in that sport.
E. Fees and expenses for non-school coaching, training or private lessons must be provided by the student or the student’s
parent(s) or guardian(s) unless approved by the Board of Directors.
F. Participation in Captains Practice: Captains Practice is primarily for the purpose of physical conditioning organized
and conducted by the students. Students may participate in Captains Practice provided that salaried or non-salaried
school personnel are not involved in any capacity. It is the responsibility of school officials to become aware of the
preseason activities in their school district and to insure that the spirit and intent of the League rules are observed.
G. Participation in Open Gym: Open gym refers to the use of school facilities for recreational activities. Students may
participate in open gym if all of the following conditions are met:
1) the school facilities are available for students to participate in a number of activities.
2) the recreational activities are open to all students.
3) there is no coaching of the skills and techniques of activities provided in the school interscholastic athletic program.
4) there is no requirement for students to attend open gym activities as a prerequisite for membership on a high school
team.

They also have this (which is what I think CADP had issues with):
2. Coaches:
A. During the School Year Prior to and Following the High School Sport Season: No full time or part time member of
the high school coaching staff at the sophomore, B-squad, junior varsity or varsity level, paid or unpaid, shall own, organize,
conduct, administer or instruct in a camp or clinic for athletes who have participated at the varsity, junior varsity, B-squad
or sophomore level for that school during the school year.

Like I said I think it is possible to make it work, I actually like the people involved and the idea of kids from outside the state getting to participate in our high school league. It will just be a lot of hoops and alot of people who will be watching every move.