Thoroughbreds barely hanging on?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Thoroughbreds barely hanging on?

Post by MNHockeyFan »

If the roster on the JWHL site is correct, it appears that the Thoroughbreds were barely able to field a team this year. It's showing just 9 skaters and a single goalie...can this be correct?

http://www.jwhl.org/roster/show/902258?subseason=121694

After last season's very poor league record (1-26) they are off to a tough start this year, going 0-4 in the league with some lopsided scores:

http://www.jwhl.org/schedule/team_insta ... son=121694

Sad to see this as the T-birds was once a proud program and good alternative for Minnesota high school girls.

P.S. Also notice that their own web page has not been updated since the mid-August tryout notice was posted, so there are no profiles of the players or other current information shown there.

http://www.mnthoroughbreds.com/
Coachk

Post by Coachk »

What you see on the score sheet and what you see on the website does not tell the whole story. Nobody is complaining about the numbers as we always pick up more as the season goes on. The girls worked very hard this past weekend and showed alot of heart playing against teams 4 lines deep from all over Canada. Its what you look like at the end, not the beginning. These players improved with each game and thats all we signed up for. And we are still a proud organization.
hockey21

Post by hockey21 »

This just goes to show you that High School Girls Hockey is the real deal and the top players want to stay and play. The Thoroughbreds Hockey association use to be a place where top talent could go play top talnet. It is now more of a league where kids go who think they should be higher in the pecking order at their own high school (or parent does ) or an expensive rec league. The managment of this program had no problem taking top high school kids and promising them college opportuities what are they promising these days equal playing time.

MSHSL Hockey is the real deal for girls
Coachk

Post by Coachk »

It is good to know that you know everything about girls hockey everywhere and that you are so keen you know every reason why the players are playing. Your thoughts are your opinion, however misguided and your disrespectful words are hurtful. It funny how you never see the posting of " Minnesota Girls hockey hanging on, with so many towns combining to put together a team" or the once powerful South Saint Paul no longer has a feeder program, Bloomington Kennedy has to combine with Jefferson to field a team. There are many girls that would love to play Thoroughbreds, but economics plays a large part of why they do not. Is it not possible, on this Forum to say anything positive about anything other then Minnesota Girls High School Hockey. Enjoy you 2 months of hockey and keep telling yourself how great everything is.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

I don't know the JWHL total recruits to D1 but it is a highly scouted/recruited league. Think about how many scouts of the 37 D1 clubs are actively in MN? If you play for a weak HS program but want to play D1 this league remains an option if you financially can swing, it is half SSM and about equal to a private school. You will play more games and be seen by more college programs than most every MN HS.

Our daughter played HS but this is a good option for some and one we considered. To me Kari Lundberg is a great example of what the Team and League can do. Kari played at Woodbury in 8-9th grade. She switched to this team and went to Mankato where she was Captain as a Junior and is now a Senior and top player. She would say this was a highlight of her hockey playing career, great competition and lots of fun. There are other top players who went this way versus the HS program's they were in. Stephanie Anderson who was on the Minnesota National Champs two years ago and now is at BSU. So is Dani Williams (daugther of Brian Williams Gophers/NY Giants and sister to Max Williams Gopher Tight End) from Waconia who is a senior at BSU.
Last edited by joehockey on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Coachk

Post by Coachk »

Thankks for the kind words about our program. Last weekend the sign up sheet for scouts totaled 41 different schools. Even with a poor wins/loss last year 6 of the 7 players that were eligible are playing college hockey this season. The purpose of this forum is to encourage and promote girls hockey, whatever it is.
flatbottomv

Post by flatbottomv »

I can only say my daughters experience with the tbreds prepared her for d1 hockey. The competition was super. She currently plays with and against many former jwhl players. I am hoping that the club will rebound. I agree that expense plays a large role in players ability to make a commitment. The travel is an experience that I miss sharing with my daughter, her teammates, coaches, and their families. We enjoyed many great times in Canada and the East coast. I wish the tbreds the best of luck.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

Coachk,

What's the difference,if any, between the tbreds and lets say shattuck?
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

I find it irritating as hell when people criticize programs that are trying to offer additional opportunities for girls. Girl's don't have near the same choices that boys do, especially in hockey. In my opinion, programs like the T'breds, Achiever, Shattuck, and High School are all good things...we should be supporting them all. Choose what's best for your daughter and be thankful she has an opportunity to play at any level. Someone playing in a private program will in no way shape or form affect someone playing High School, and vice-versa. In the end, we're all in this together- to try and help our beautiful daughters prepare for a very rabid world...
NotMuchToSay

Post by NotMuchToSay »

Well said Hard Water!
Coachk

Post by Coachk »

Rocketwrister wrote:Coachk,

What's the difference,if any, between the tbreds and lets say shattuck?
Both are Tier 1 programs, but Shattuck provides education and because of that it is more expensive. Thoroughbreds players attend their local high schools.
Coachk

Post by Coachk »

Hard water fan wrote:I find it irritating as hell when people criticize programs that are trying to offer additional opportunities for girls. Girl's don't have near the same choices that boys do, especially in hockey. In my opinion, programs like the T'breds, Achiever, Shattuck, and High School are all good things...we should be supporting them all. Choose what's best for your daughter and be thankful she has an opportunity to play at any level. Someone playing in a private program will in no way shape or form affect someone playing High School, and vice-versa. In the end, we're all in this together- to try and help our beautiful daughters prepare for a very rabid world...
Awesome post! Sometimes people forget that the girls are the ones playing and not the parents. It is all about them, the short time we as parents have the privilege to watch our daughters is priceless.
flatbottomv

Post by flatbottomv »

hockey21 wrote:This just goes to show you that High School Girls Hockey is the real deal and the top players want to stay and play. The Thoroughbreds Hockey association use to be a place where top talent could go play top talnet. It is now more of a league where kids go who think they should be higher in the pecking order at their own high school (or parent does ) or an expensive rec league. The managment of this program had no problem taking top high school kids and promising them college opportuities what are they promising these days equal playing time.

MSHSL Hockey is the real deal for girls
During the two years we were involved with the Tbreds our daughter was never promised a scholarship. The coaches were clear that players must perform to attract interest from colleges. They did not take the players either. All the players came because of their own decision.
Bulldog3489

Post by Bulldog3489 »

I think everyone would agree that the program provides a different experience for girls, but some would wonder what is the current purpose of the program? Last year or two it was really comparable to an average high school program in talent.
Coachk

Post by Coachk »

Bulldog3489 wrote:I think everyone would agree that the program provides a different experience for girls, but some would wonder what is the current purpose of the program? Last year or two it was really comparable to an average high school program in talent.
The purpose is the same as it was when my older daughter played 12 years ago. To provide excellent coaching, training and development in a 6 month long season, playing against tier 1 teams and hopefully getting a chance to play college hockey. Comparing the team to a average high school team is only self serving to the person asking the question. No one is trying to change anyones opinion as the Thouorghbreds have been through this many times before. The fact remains is that Minnesota is a special place and girls can choose what they want to play. Every other state does not have that luxury.
Bulldog3489

Post by Bulldog3489 »

I don't have an interest in bringing your program down. Comparing your program's talent level to an average high school team was pretty fair, maybe generous. Take a look at the hockey hub and how your players did the year before they joined your program. If you think you could have competed with the big boys you are fooling yourself.
Coachk

Post by Coachk »

Bulldog3489 wrote:I don't have an interest in bringing your program down. Comparing your program's talent level to an average high school team was pretty fair, maybe generous. Take a look at the hockey hub and how your players did the year before they joined your program. If you think you could have competed with the big boys you are fooling yourself.
Big Boys? We did pretty well against a good Warner School team. I makes no sense to argue with a person who knows everything. I am glad you are an expert on talent, maybe you should use that to coach a high school team. What I think is, picking on our team is fun for you, like the bully at the mouse. You must have to much time on your hands to look up old stats. Do you feel better about yourself now?
flatbottomv

Post by flatbottomv »

Bulldog3489 wrote:I don't have an interest in bringing your program down. Comparing your program's talent level to an average high school team was pretty fair, maybe generous. Take a look at the hockey hub and how your players did the year before they joined your program. If you think you could have competed with the big boys you are fooling yourself.
The Tbreds played a huge role in developing many players who have gone on to play both D1 and D3 hockey. If you checked my daughters hockey hub stats from her soph. year in high school you would say she was an average player. Her junior year with the Tbreds was below average in the JWHL. After the first year of the intense practice and high level of competition she was able to become above average in her league as a senior. This led to her dream of a scholarship in D1 hockey. The coaches are there to develop players. These girls are going to change their level of play. Every player I saw in the program was challenged to get better. I think a goal of competing with the "BIG BOYS" is a common thread all good programs should embrace.
ruprecht

Post by ruprecht »

I think the T'Bred defenders are getting overly sensitive and protest too much. Nobody is saying the girls don't work hard. Nobody is saying the competition isn't first-rate. Nobody is saying the coaching isn't first-rate. Marci was a star at CODP back in the day when it was THE summer program. However, just like the CODP of back in the day, something has changed with the T'Breds. As far as I remember, they always had a full roster coming out of tryouts. Lots of good playersfrom smaller programs like Cambridge and Princeton and Hudson and New Richmond and Rochester. To only have 9 skaters and 1 goalie two months after tryouts isn't normal, and getting nasty while pretending it is doesn't make it so.

I'll throw out a few ideas:
Achiever Academy -- at least one former T'Bred is there, maybe more, I don't know.
Hill Murray -- more and more Wisconsin girls are going to HM from Hudson, Somerset, New Richmond.
Better Conferences -- More of the small programs that used to supply girls to the T'Breds are growing (Cambridge, Princeton, etc)
and the competition in their conferences is getting better (the Mississippi 8 and Missota come to mind). If you're getting your butt handed to you by the Buffalo or Shakopee or Red Wing girls, you better take care of your business at home before you go running off to the T'Breds.
Winny Brodt -- Winny and co. sponsor at least 5 weekends in the summer and then Elite 1 in the fallwhere there are lots of D1 coaches. At Prospect weekends the coaches are actually on the benches and get to interact with the girls. The T'Breds don't get anything like that in their PWHL weekends. (And yes, I know Winny is a T'Bred alumna, but that was a different world then.)
Gardez toujours votre bâton sur la glace...
flatbottomv

Post by flatbottomv »

I am a believer in the Tbreds program because I saw how they developed players. Maybe both the tbreds and more players could benefit if it was done outside the high school season. I know they would have to ditch the JWHL, but they could enter open Tourneys. Marci is still a top notch coach. Just a thought.
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

Coachk wrote:Is it not possible, on this Forum to say anything positive about anything other then Minnesota Girls High School Hockey.
All I would say is know your audience. I personally don't like Dane Cook, but I would never stand outside a Dane Cooke event and preach about how other comedians are better, and that Dane is a hack. Then have the audacity to complain when a bunch of fans brow beat me!

You are on a Minnesota Girls High School Hockey Forum, most people reading this have ties to the Girls HS game, and support that structure maybe there is a different outlet for you to share your beliefs where you would get more support.

Last I think ruprecht makes some very good points.
OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond »

allhoc11 wrote:
Coachk wrote:Is it not possible, on this Forum to say anything positive about anything other then Minnesota Girls High School Hockey.
All I would say is know your audience. I personally don't like Dane Cook, but I would never stand outside a Dane Cooke event and preach about how other comedians are better, and that Dane is a hack. Then have the audacity to complain when a bunch of fans brow beat me!

You are on a Minnesota Girls High School Hockey Forum, most people reading this have ties to the Girls HS game, and support that structure maybe there is a different outlet for you to share your beliefs where you would get more support.

Last I think ruprecht makes some very good points.
I would also add that the original post was more of an observation than a criticism. MNHockeyFan is correct, the landscape and team dynamics have changed over the years.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

OnFrozenPond wrote:I would also add that the original post was more of an observation than a criticism.
Exactly correct. I cheer for ALL Minnesota hockey teams to succeed, at ALL LEVELS - girls, boys, college and pro.

It's pretty obvious that the T-breds are going through a rough stretch as of late. In all honestly I was surprised to learn that a team comprised of Minnesota girls won just one game in their league last year. No matter how you spin it, that's very disappointing, especially considering that Minnesota produces far more D1 players than any other state, year in and year out.

I do hope they're able to 'right the ship' and provide a good option for our high school aged female players to consider. Having options to choose from is never a bad thing.
Bandy

Post by Bandy »

I heard that a few years back, the T-breds transitioned from a mostly Midwest schedule to a mostly long-distance schedule with a lot of games in the Northeast. Big increase in cost to families, justified by better hockey competition. I'm sure families hit hard by the recession would not consider forking over many thousands of dollars if a reasonable option exists in their home town.

One more comment, related to the limitation of MSHSL's 25-game season, versus club teams which play more than twice that many games. Most of the elite High School players play year-round. High school is the fun season, where they play with their schoolmates, and have the thrill of section playoffs and the chance to make the state tourney. It is a step down from the hockey the elite players play in the summer and fall. But it hasn't prevented countless players from making D1 and D3 college teams. Even players who come from fairly weak high school programs make D1 teams. If you're good and work hard, the 25-game MSHSL rule is not limiting your chances whatsoever.

No disrespect to the T-breds, but the girls hockey landscape in Minnesota has changed a lot since Winny Brodt, Jenny Schmidgall, and Alana Blahoski played for them. There are great options close to home that are a lot more affordable, and that's a big reason why MN has so many college recruits.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Bandy wrote:No disrespect to the T-breds, but the girls hockey landscape in Minnesota has changed a lot since Winny Brodt, Jenny Schmidgall, and Alana Blahoski played for them.
In the Gophers' first season as a varsity program they actually had the T-breds on their schedule. Gophers won, but only by a 4-2 score which shows how strong of a club team the T-breds had back in those days ( game date was 2/27/98 ):

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-ho ... 97-98.html