Teams from the Hinterland

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

pepperpot

Teams from the Hinterland

Post by pepperpot »

A lot of questions regarding the powerhouses from the cities, but what about the northern region? Who will emerge in AA and A?

-Rapids will emerge from the independents. Well balanced team, but could mourn the loss of the older Illakanen. Strong senior class will give them a solid year.
-Cloquet's struggles are with goaltending now that their top goalies graduated. Strong crop of young forwards could push them to the top though...
-Warroad will still be strong, but may have seen the best of days. Will be an interesting season for them.
-Roseau is a tale of two teams. Should be solid based on youth success, but goaltending and lack of A list players could hurt. Give them a year or two and you'll see them at the dance.
-Thief is a solid, well-rounded team with good goaltending. Should be a contender for a number of years.
-Crookston will be consistent with a good returning crop of young players.
-Hibbing lost too many seniors- will be a non-factor for a while.
-Duluth was decimated by mutiny. The new coach may patch things together, but not in time to take advantage of their talented seniors. Will be on the slide down for quite some time.
-Proctor/Hermantown should have one of the top lines in A. A good crop of young players coming up and strong goaltending should give them success for a number of years.
-Moose Lake is surprisingly good for a very small program. Goaltending and Defense will be key. Some talented young forwards coming up, but not sure if that's enough.
-Silver Bay has a new coach as well after the retirement of a northern icon. Low youth numbers will limit their success.
-Eveleth Gilbert has really struggled. Not sure if that will change.
-I'Falls will continue to struggle with low youth numbers- their top forward is a senior and will need to lead the charge if they are to compete with the two teams to the West.

Picking Proctor Hermantown to be the last survivor for A, Rapids AA
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

esox101

Outstate teams

Post by esox101 »

Very nice 36guy. That's classy stuff.

I know it's a shock to hockey fans who lie awake at night seeding and re-seeding Section 6AA in their heads, but they do make with the hockey outside the Metro. They also have indoor plumbing and electric lights. Or so I'm told. Tonka vs. BSM or Edina vs. HM might be the center of your universe, but it's not everyone's.

My kid's team will be seeing a couple of the teams on Pepperpot's list. So even though i don't have anything to add or argue about, I appreciated the report. Am sure others did at well.

OK...back to the circular firing squad about statistical criteria for the 'best player in the state' everyone...
DrGaf

Re: Outstate teams

Post by DrGaf »

esox101 wrote:Very nice 36guy. That's classy stuff.

I know it's a shock to hockey fans who lie awake at night seeding and re-seeding Section 6AA in their heads, but they do make with the hockey outside the Metro. They also have indoor plumbing and electric lights. Or so I'm told. Tonka vs. BSM or Edina vs. HM might be the center of your universe, but it's not everyone's...
Lies. All lies.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
esox101

Post by esox101 »

DrGaf wrote:
Lies. All lies.
:D
Last edited by esox101 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

[quote="esox101"]Very nice 36guy. That's classy stuff.

Mr. 101, waaaaay to serious. Just adding a little humor to these "everything is personal" forums. A little poke and jab is all that was intended. Have great friends from up there on those teams and I am the proud owner of a Roseau Hockey sweatshirt that I sport regularly.

What about Moorhead? They also have the best announcer in the state...your thoughts?
FASTWHEATIE

Post by FASTWHEATIE »

I think your assessment is pretty close. I do believe Hibbing will be okay as well. I know they lost a lot of players last season but they have some good young talent. Moose lake will be tough as they also have a group of young talented forwards and some good young D. I think Duluth will be a big surprise this season. They have a great youth program and the new coach is going to do a great job. PH is the favorite in class A but Hibbing will come out of the section. I-Falls will also have a solid team. They have a very good line that will compete at the class A level.
esox101

Post by esox101 »

36Guy wrote:
esox101 wrote:Very nice 36guy. That's classy stuff.

Mr. 101, waaaaay to serious. Just adding a little humor to these "everything is personal" forums. A little poke and jab is all that was intended. Have great friends from up there on those teams and I am the proud owner of a Roseau Hockey sweatshirt that I sport regularly.

What about Moorhead? They also have the best announcer in the state...your thoughts?
Fair enough - no offense taken where none was intended. Likewise to you I hope.

Moorhead... I grew up near Detroit Lakes man... Stinkin' Spuds - even the announcers are lame :D

(we're all provincial and proud of it :) )
Last edited by esox101 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Hibbing? no way. Way too young and not enough talent.
Duluth, the only surprise will be how bad they really are. Their goaltender hasn't seen varsity pucks. A couple of standout Seniors won't be enough to overcome the weakness at goal and D. Once the seniors are gone, they'll have the same issues with their young ones. A couple of good forwards but not much beyond that.
I think Rapids will be very tough to defeat, and the top line from PH will be too strong for teams like ML and Ifalls. Mix in Warroad, Thief and Cloquet...
Not much known about the Spuds. Spent most of my time watching the Jacks and Rapids last season.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

pepperpot wrote:Hibbing? no way. Way too young and not enough talent.
Duluth, the only surprise will be how bad they really are. Their goaltender hasn't seen varsity pucks. A couple of standout Seniors won't be enough to overcome the weakness at goal and D. Once the seniors are gone, they'll have the same issues with their young ones. A couple of good forwards but not much beyond that.
I think Rapids will be very tough to defeat, and the top line from PH will be too strong for teams like ML and Ifalls. Mix in Warroad, Thief and Cloquet...
Not much known about the Spuds. Spent most of my time watching the Jacks and Rapids last season.

so are you a player, coach or parent?
Bighead

Post by Bighead »

Spud report...2nd best Junior Goalie in the state will carry them to a .500 season. On a side note...her mom makes really good cookies! Go Spuds!
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Potato peanut butter or potato m&m BH? Proud Uncle and friend Rocket. Saw Hibbing play PH in last years sectionals. Caught one ML game, Duluth and a smattering of others. In no way an expert, but qualified enough to have an opinion that will stir some reaction. :lol:
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

Hats off to 36guy and esox's response. Very good humor. I liked the crickets humor and took it for what is was meant. We all know there is life outside of 6AA but its fun to pretend that is not the case. LOL
esox101

Post by esox101 »

Bighead wrote: On a side note...her mom makes really good cookies! Go Spuds!
See - now there's the kind of in-depth, first-hand scouting report you just can't get anywhere but here

:)
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Delete
Last edited by Nevertoomuchhockey on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Sorry Mom or Dad, but I don't think the 7 through 9th graders moving up from youth hockey will be outplaying Duluths top senior goal getters, even if they did come from the Marshall juggernaut. :roll: Maybe if you ask the coach enough your young guns will get some extra ice time though!
Nevertoomuchhockey

Marshall juggernaut... Lol
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

With 20% of the regular season over with, I have to make some adjustments because my Cloquet and Grand Rapids are stinkin it up so far. Goaltending seems to be the issue in Rapids, while putting pucks in the net seems to be the problem for Cloquet. Who has really impressed me is EGF and Thief. I expected as much from Thief, but not EGF. Warroad is on the other side of the hill looking down. At home Hibbing barely snuck out a W against Hermantown. Sounds like Hermantown had a couple goals disallowed with questionable calls. Those two will battle all the way to the end with the winner going to State, and I'm still sticking with Hermantown on that one because of their depth. Duluth got spanked by Orono. which wasn't really a surprise despite Orono being mediocre. Duluth's top player Senior Klaas is doing her best to keep them competitive, but there is no way they can run with the big dogs in the metro. If they make it to the dance because of week competition, they'll be leaning against the wall for the night. Revised predicitions for the Hinterland is 8AA Buffalo, 7AA Duluth, 8A Thief, 7A Hermantown/Proctor. All subject to change.
Otter

Post by Otter »

Why does GRG have 5 adult males on the bench during their games? What could possibly be the point of that? They look incredibly silly.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Not surprised by EGF being as good as they are. Galstad is a top notch goalie and they have two solid lines that can score. Piche, Koberinski, and the Mack sisters will help East Side make a run.

Marshall in TRF is outstanding as well. Probably better than Galstad. Berglund, Malwitz, Marholt, and Poole are dangerous players up front and the Jorde sisters are young and talented on the blue line.

Warroad will have all they can handle. They lost a lot scoring power but Demi and Mariah Gardiner are still around as is Lynn Astrup. Francesca Huerd is also very solid on the blue line.

Should be a dog fight between these three teams to get through 8A.
moose jaw

Post by moose jaw »

Only thing I thought surprising about e.g.f was they weren't ranked higher than t.r.f to start the season,if I remember correctly egf knocked thief out in the semi's last season,that wasn't a fluke.Thief has some skill and will probably beat both egf and warroad at least once if not get both during regular season,but when it comes down to crunch time it will be egf and warroad.Thief has the players,there weakness is behind the bench.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

moose jaw wrote:Only thing I thought surprising about e.g.f was they weren't ranked higher than t.r.f to start the season,if I remember correctly egf knocked thief out in the semi's last season,that wasn't a fluke.Thief has some skill and will probably beat both egf and warroad at least once if not get both during regular season,but when it comes down to crunch time it will be egf and warroad.Thief has the players,there weakness is behind the bench.
Disagree on that point. Poole in TRF is a fine coach. A little arrogant but nothing compared to Izzy in Warroad. Scanlan in EGF is a great coach as well. Coaching is not a weakness for any of the top 3 8A teams.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Anyone from The Hinterland have a score on tonight's Breck-Warroad game?
Nevertoomuchhockey

Warroad 4 Breck 0
Nevertoomuchhockey

Score for Edina/Warroad?

And who would know this... I read the name Madison Oehlkers on the Warroad roster. Is this the 8th grader from CIMPC?