Big Games and Your Predictions – Week 4

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

This evening’s second reported score:

Andover 3, Armstrong/Cooper 3 (OT tie)

Armstrong/Cooper need to rally from a 0-3 deficit to score three goals in the 3rd period to tie Andover 3-3 at the New Hope Arena. Emma Terres, a Bemidji State recruit, scored two of Armstrong/Cooper’s three goals while Mari Verbeten and Holly Enderle each had two point nights to enable Armstrong/Cooper to come back for the tie. For the game Andover led in shots on goal by a healthy 37-29 margin.

23 of 29 had the Armstong/Cooper “Birds of Prey” winning this one, but nobody predicted a tie, much less 3-3…so zero points all around.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

From Minnesota-Scores.net:

North Wright County 2, Buffalo 4

No game stats available as of yet, but in our contest 20 of 29 predicted Buffalo winning this one.

There were two correct scores: Orange_Wisent and MNHockeyFan... 8)
Maverick2000

Post by Maverick2000 »

Dodge County 8 south Saint Paul 2.......dc out shoots ssp 40 20 was run time all third as 8 1 til last minute.....
MN_Bowhunter

CIGAR!

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

Maverick2000 wrote:Dodge County 8 south Saint Paul 2.......dc out shoots ssp 40 20 was run time all third as 8 1 til last minute.....
Cigar...Cigar...Please come tell everybody how stupid they are and how good SSP is. Stick a fork in 'em, the Packers are done. No new recruits in the last 2 years and a coach on his way out the door.
Maverick2000

Post by Maverick2000 »

SSP is a very good team, DC played very well and is a solid team. SSP has beaten #8 Buffalo saturday whom Buffalo beat #14 N wright county tonight , as well as wins over class A # 7 breck and #9 mound westonka as well as a tie w #17 moundsview......Dont think he nor his team is hurting too much..... :D
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

With the Lakeville South/Hill-Murray game being cancelled, we have the last of four Tuesday night games reported per the MGHCA’s site:

Lakeville South 2, Dodge County 8

Game stats are not yet available, so here’s how things stand after four games:

1. MNHockeyFan – 4 (I have two correct scores, but I missed the SSP/DC game! :( )

2. Knight7 - 3
Maverick2000 - 3
wolfman - 3
Orange_Wisent - 3
rascalbrock - 3
hockeybozo - 3
sinbin - 3
blondegirlsdad - 3
Misterright - 3

11. Twelve tied with 2

23. Five with 1

28. Two with 0

Next game on Thursday, Ponies at Bengals. Home team is favored 19-9, with one predicting a 2-2 tie.
AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

Maverick2000 wrote:SSP is a very good team, DC played very well and is a solid team. SSP has beaten #8 Buffalo saturday whom Buffalo beat #14 N wright county tonight , as well as wins over class A # 7 breck and #9 mound westonka as well as a tie w #17 moundsview......Dont think he nor his team is hurting too much..... :D
DC vs SSP last night was a one way beat down from the drop of the puck. SSP had no answer for DC defensively. DC had been struggling to put puck in net against mediocre teams despite big shot counts recently but not last night. Many near misses on scoring chances or DC would have had a dozen despite killing 18 minutes in penalties.

SSP also lost to HF/Wac soundly who recently lost to a winless PL team 0-4.

SSP has not out shot any team they have played.

I can't see them making it out of their Section this year.
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

SSP has played all top 20AA/10A teams except HF and is 3-2-1. Pretty solid all around team.

If you think the #5-7 ranked team (probably where SSP belongs) is really that bad, maybe there shouldn't be class A girls hockey. Just put the 3-4 "Good" teams in AA.
AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

DubCHAGuy wrote:SSP has played all top 20AA/10A teams except HF and is 3-2-1. Pretty solid all around team.

If you think the #5-7 ranked team (probably where SSP belongs) is really that bad, maybe there shouldn't be class A girls hockey. Just put the 3-4 "Good" teams in AA.
DubCHA.

Did someone say SSP is bad team??? If anybody saw something different in DC than I saw last night then chime in. SSP should do great in their next 7 games against teams with losing records. They certainly should outshoot somebody. I think they are a good A team but probably not top 10 or State contender this year. I pick them 3rd in their section from what I have seen. That's pretty good!! Let's see where they end up in February.
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

AAA Dad wrote:
DubCHAGuy wrote:SSP has played all top 20AA/10A teams except HF and is 3-2-1. Pretty solid all around team.

DubCHA.

Did someone say SSP is bad team??? If anybody saw something different in DC than I saw last night then chime in. SSP should do great in their next 7 games against teams with losing records. They certainly should outshoot somebody. I think they are a good A team but probably not top 10 or State contender this year. I pick them 3rd in their section from what I have seen. Let's see where they end up in February.
Post was more directed at Bowhunter's "stick a fork in 'em."

My point was that there is more balance in class A this year and SSP is definitely in the hunt as they've shown with 3 quality wins & tie. I don't think anyone other than Red Wing playing in a weak section is a sure thing to reach the X.

AAA Dad, you are probably right that SSP won't be 4A favorites, but if they aren't in the top 10 I'm assuming you have everyone else in the current top 11 ahead of them? Including Breck and Mound-Westonka (who they beat), along with Hibbing and apparently SPU?
Bullgod

Post by Bullgod »

AAA Dad wrote:
Maverick2000 wrote:SSP is a very good team, DC played very well and is a solid team. SSP has beaten #8 Buffalo saturday whom Buffalo beat #14 N wright county tonight , as well as wins over class A # 7 breck and #9 mound westonka as well as a tie w #17 moundsview......Dont think he nor his team is hurting too much..... :D
DC vs SSP last night was a one way beat down from the drop of the puck. SSP had no answer for DC defensively. DC had been struggling to put puck in net against mediocre teams despite big shot counts recently but not last night. Many near misses on scoring chances or DC would have had a dozen despite killing 18 minutes in penalties.

SSP also lost to HF/Wac soundly who recently lost to a winless PL team 0-4.

SSP has not out shot any team they have played.

I can't see them making it out of their Section this year.
Section 4A has not provided much competition for SSP recently, hopefully AA (or someone else ) can make them work a little harder to get through sections
AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

DubCHAguy

LPH New rankings out.
4A Contenders

SSP #5
AA #11
SPU #14

Looks like the coaches still have you as clear favorites in 4A. Don't lose any sleep.
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

AAA Dad wrote:DubCHAguy

LPH New rankings out.
4A Contenders

SSP #5
AA #11
SPU #14

Looks like the coaches still have you as clear favorites in 4A. Don't lose any sleep.
Thanks although my only connection to SSP is knowing a few of the parents and seeing them play once this year.

We all know LPH rankings mean nothing this early since they are all based off reputation and 1 or 2 key games. Most would agree AA should be somewhere around 3, SSP around 7, and SPU 12-14.
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

All I was getting at originally was not to go counting SSP (or anyone else) out based off 1 game. They've shown they can beat good teams, and are well coached.

There are 10-12 good teams in class A this year with no clear cut favorite, where as last year Blake & Warroad were on a collision course all year, and the 3 years before that it was only a 3 horse race between Breck, SSP, and Warroad. Pretty refreshing to see for the casual fan.
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

Honestly, my post was intended to get under Cigar's skin, as he's obviously a giant SSP rube. If I rubbed some other SSP fans the wrong way, that's collateral damage I won't lose any sleep over. :D I have seen SSP, Achiever, and United play this year and from what I've seen I would rank them 1-AA, 2-United, 3-SSP in their section.
AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

[quote="MN_Bowhunter"]Honestly, my post was intended to get under Cigar's skin, as he's obviously a giant SSP rube. If I rubbed some other SSP fans the wrong way, that's collateral damage I won't lose any sleep over. :D I have seen SSP, Achiever, and United play this year and from what I've seen I would rank them 1-AA, 2-United, 3-SSP in their section.[/quote

BULLSEYE BOWHUNTER!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Hey guys, don't mean to be a spoil sport, but how about someone starting a new thread and taking it there? I enjoy the banter, but I don't want to see it get out of hand and have one of the moderators step in and shut the thread down!
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

No good deed goes unpunished, MNHF.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

In our lone game this evening it was:

#14AA Stillwater 1, #13AA Blaine 4

After a scoreless first period, Stillwater got on the board in the second on a goal by Lauren Greeder - but then the Swanstrom’s took over! Samantha Swanstrom scored two in the second period, and added another in the third for the hat trick. Meanwhile, Katie Swanstrom scored Blaine’s other goal and assisted on two of Samantha’s tallies, and Bengals tender Makayla Tilton stopped 23 of 24 of the Ponies shots to secure the win for the home team.

In our contest 19 of 29 had Blaine winning, and two – RailingWizardofOZ and lucky me - predicted the 4-1 score. :)

So, heading into Friday night’s two games, here’s your leaderboard:

1. MNHockeyFan – 6 (but can he hold on?) ;)

2. Knight7 - 4
wolfman - 4
Orange_Wisent - 4
rascalbrock - 4
hockeybozo - 4
sinbin - 4
blondegirlsdad - 4
Misterright - 4

10. Silent But Deadly – 3
mnhockey3535 – 3
Maverick2000 - 3
clutterbucket – 3
RailingWizardofOZ – 3
hockeyfan87 – 3
D6 Girls Fan – 3
FlyingWarrior – 3

18. Nine tied with 2

27. One with 1

28. Two with 0

Still 7 games to go, so this thing is far from over!
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

#14 SPU win at Breck 2-1.
Breck parent and announcer said first win ever for United AT Breck. Is this an upset considering the rankings of both teams, considering their records?
AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:#14 SPU win at Breck 2-1.
Breck parent and announcer said first win ever for United AT Breck. Is this an upset considering the rankings of both teams, considering their records?
They play each other again Saturday. Nice scheduling. Lets see if either team can have more decisive win then!
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Well that's unusual. Which team is at home?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

First game this evening it was:

Benilde-St. Margaret’s 2, Lakeville North 0

Catlin Reilly scored twice, with both goals coming off single assists from Kaylee Druk, to lead the visiting Benilde-St. Margaret’s Red Knights past Lakeville North at Ames Arena. In goal for BSM was Syracuse recruit Abbey Miller, who stopped all 20 shots she faced to keep the Panthers scoreless.

26 of 29 had the higher-ranked Red Knights winning, but nobody predicted they would hold the Panthers scoreless,so no bonus points awarded.

An updated Leaderboard will be posted as soon as the result of the Armstong/Cooper – Thief River Falls game is posted.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

In the second of our two “Big Games” this evening it was:

Armstrong/Cooper 2, Thief River Falls 4

Bemidji State recruit Emma Terres scored two goals to stake her Armstrong/Cooper team to a 2-0 lead in the first period, but Thief River Falls rallied, tying the game with two goals in second and adding two goals in the third to secure a 4-2 win. Leading the offense for the Prowlers was Emily Bergland with two goals, Brandi Malwitz and Kora Torkelson – each with a goal and an assist – and Sylvia Marolt contributing two assists.

We’ll see if Armstrong/Cooper can rebound from tonight’s defeat and get a win against #4A East Grand Forks tomorrow night to close out their northern swing.

Our panel was pretty evenly divided this game, with 17 of 29 getting it right and the other 12 getting it wrong. There was one correct score, by spars46, who adds the extra bonus point.

Heading into tomorrow’s final five games - which will conclude Week 4 - here’s how things stand:

1. MNHockeyFan – 8 (nice to have a two point lead, just hoping I don't choke!) ;)

2. wolfman - 6
Orange_Wisent - 6
hockeybozo - 6
sinbin – 6

6. Silent But Deadly – 5
Maverick2000 – 5
clutterbucket – 5
rascalbrock - 5
RailingWizardofOZ – 5
blondegirlsdad – 5
spars46 – 5
FlyingWarrior – 5
Misterright - 5

15. Knight7 - 4
mnhockey3535 – 4
hockeyfan87 – 4
capitalpride - 4
D6 Girls Fan – 4
Otter – 4

21. Seven tied with 3

28. One with 2

29. One with 1
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

I'm sure your 2 point lead is perfectly safe and there is no need to worry about choking. :wink: