Girls JV vs U14A - Which is Better?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

observer

Post by observer » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:32 pm

Let's look at a U14A team where the system is working. The U14A Blaine team has a handful of players on that team that would make just about every varsity team in the state. From what I understand, those 8th graders cannot play HS hockey until they are 9th graders. They are having a solid year and have an opportunity to make a great run at a state tourney title. Come next year, after a full summer of training in the HS Summer program, that will be that much better from a development perspective and be able to contribute right away at the HS level, plus they made some great memories with the friends they've grown up playing with all through youth hockey.
Thanks Hockeychopper. That's the model.

There's still time to recruit 20-30 new mite girls. If your association has only recruited 6 new mite girls so far this year there are choppy waters ahead for all those involved.

State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:39 pm

The other thing I have seen and been told about is girls hockey treated as second class citizens. Horrible attitudes toward girls hockey in many cases. Terrible practice times if getting any at all. Game schedules not complete. Sub standard equipment. These issues also need to be addressed in many assc. and HS.

Bandy

Post by Bandy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:16 pm

I think the decision is different for an 8th grader vs. 9th grader. 9th grade, you're in high school, and JV is part of the high school experience.

When my oldest was in 8th grade, it seemed like most U14 teams were predominantly 8th graders, and most 9th graders were playing HS (JV or V).

I'd say U14A is a winning bet for 8th graders, but be prepared for a wider range in talent than U12A. Most U14A teams had a mix of solid A players and solid C / B players. The exceptions being associations that had enough players to field both an A and a B team, and there are very few associations that pull that off at the U14 level.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:43 am

throwing a 14 year old into a locker room with 18 year olds can be an eye opener
This response is made quite a bit regarding girls' high school hockey. Is this same argument presented on the soccer forum, or lacrosse? With all the young swimmers, tennis players, and cross country runners making impacts on the state tournaments, I don't think the nasty 18 year olds are a deterent. Also, why are we OK with our 15 year olds being subjected to this behavior but not our 14 year olds? More importantly, why is it OK for the 18 year olds to act that way?

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:56 am

I had more concerns when my child had to be in a separate locker room from her A Squirt teammates than I have with her socializing or being negatively influenced by older girls.

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:26 pm

InigoMontoya wrote:
throwing a 14 year old into a locker room with 18 year olds can be an eye opener
This response is made quite a bit regarding girls' high school hockey. Is this same argument presented on the soccer forum, or lacrosse? With all the young swimmers, tennis players, and cross country runners making impacts on the state tournaments, I don't think the nasty 18 year olds are a deterent. Also, why are we OK with our 15 year olds being subjected to this behavior but not our 14 year olds? More importantly, why is it OK for the 18 year olds to act that way?
I think with the internet and television the way it is, our 14 year old daughters probably have heard and seen far worse than whatever goes on in the locker rooms. Do your job parenting and the rest will work out the way it should. You can't keep them in a bubble forever.

massalsa

Slight variation on the topic

Post by massalsa » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:31 am

Great thread and the board is very informative. Thanks to all who participate.

Our association has no U12A or U14 anything. My daughter is playing Peewee instead and made the Peewee A team instead of playing 12B. She has 1 year of Peewee remaining or can tryout for the HS team next year.

Would you choose 1st or 2nd line JV at a section 6 AA school or to play Peewee A as a 2nd year player (no Peewee AA team option).

Thanks!

hockeyfan87

Re: Slight variation on the topic

Post by hockeyfan87 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:05 am

massalsa wrote: Would you choose 1st or 2nd line JV at a section 6 AA school or to play Peewee A as a 2nd year player (no Peewee AA team option).
Thanks!
Lots of things to consider, but from purely a hockey/skill development standpoint. Is there is a decent coach at the Peewee A level? If so, I would have my daughter play Peewee A as a seventh grader. The longer season, more overall practice time, and the intensity level are better at the Peewee A level.

hockeychopper

Post by hockeychopper » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:47 am

massalsa wrote:Great thread and the board is very informative. Thanks to all who participate.

Our association has no U12A or U14 anything. My daughter is playing Peewee instead and made the Peewee A team instead of playing 12B. She has 1 year of Peewee remaining or can tryout for the HS team next year.

Would you choose 1st or 2nd line JV at a section 6 AA school or to play Peewee A as a 2nd year player (no Peewee AA team option).

Thanks!
Massalsa, I would agree with playing peewees another year. If there is good coaching it makes sense. I look at some of the girls that start playing HS hockey as a 7th grader and think why would someone want to play 6 years of HS hockey. Plus from a development perspective, much more pratice time as well as more "quality" games.

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:05 am

I agree, she'll get more out of peewees. Plus, JV girls hockey is painful to watch at times. Probably a little better in that section than the single A stuff I'm used to but you still will play a dozen JV teams that are terrible.

blondegirlsdad

Post by blondegirlsdad » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:50 pm

...and again, it somewhat depends on which 6AA program she'd fall into. How good is their JV? How are the coaches?

..and are you sure she wouldn't make the Varsity next year? There are a number of schools who will have big openings next year.

But if you're content staying in your home school district, and if your choices are a mediocre JV team or another shot at Pee Wee A... stay with the boys. But there are other options for really good players in weak associations if you want to play with girls.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:45 pm

mass - I sent you a pm.

C_R

Post by C_R » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:10 pm

massalsa wrote:Great thread and the board is very informative. Thanks to all who participate.

Thanks!
Or, Option 3 - persuade the association to go 12UA next season, take a few lumps on the scoreboard, but commit to helping develop the 10-12 quality teammates that she will need at the varsity level?

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:37 pm

My 8th grade daughter is playing highschool much cheaper. Down side- Juniors/seniors talk about different subjects/things than most 8th grade girls.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:22 pm

old goalie85 wrote:My 8th grade daughter is playing highschool much cheaper. Down side- Juniors/seniors talk about different subjects/things than most 8th grade girls.
Invest in a good pair of headphones.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:33 am

I did..Hope it works !!! :lol: