Inflated stats ethical? Who do u blame?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Maverick2000

Inflated stats ethical? Who do u blame?

Post by Maverick2000 »

I see the Aney sisters from Rochester century are leading all scoring categories so I decided to look at some of their box scores. Now I do not know how every team operates but if our team has a game where the game is out of reach our coach sits our top players to prevent injury and also reward/develop the other players on the team. Last night in the box score I see century was up 8-2 with 10 seconds left in the game when Katie Aney scored her 4th goal of the game. I then looked through more of their box scores and see this numerous times take place. Again these points would not be happening for us as our coach sits top kids in these games. What do other teams do? Is this ethical from a player or coach? I can now see why they lead the state in everything as SOS is terrible and let these kids score at will and run up scores.......I don't think this would happen in boys check hockey as some player may give them a wake up call on the ice......
luckyEPDad

Re: Inflated stats ethical? Who do u blame?

Post by luckyEPDad »

Though it makes sense to protect your top players in professional sports I don't think it really applies to youth or HS sports. The kids are on the team because they want to play. They are not resources that have to be managed. The purpose of a HS hockey team is to have kids play hockey, not win championships to bolster ticket sales. Sitting a player because they played well doesn't send the right message.

What I see most coaches do with a big lead is play their entire bench, even the backup JV players who would normally sit the entire game. In some cases I've seen coaches flip forwards and defense when the lead gets too big.

The Aney systers are good hockey players. It is not their fault that their schedule is weak. They should not be punished by only getting to play two periods. Get off their back.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

If you've ever seen these girls play in an elite or AAA against the best of the metro you would recognize their talent. Maybe they would have fewer goals on a better team but prob more assists as they'd have (generally) a better supporting cast. College recruitment and the big awards? The stats might get someone in to watch them, but their performances in person matter more.

Guess we shouldn't count any empty net goals either? Really?
Maverick2000

Post by Maverick2000 »

Yes I have watched them. Katie has never made the final 54 or a high end AAA team. Jesse has made national camp and team reebok. The point is the game of integrity and sportsmanship in 8-2 games and having top kids still pouring it on even with less then a minute when most cheap shots occur in blow out games.....
powerplayer

Post by powerplayer »

Most teams are going to play at least one other team that they will "blow out". IMO if these games are happening on a consistent basis then the coach may want to adjust their schedule. Good for the Aney sisters who are putting up alot of points. You cannot take that away from them. Of course we will all look at the game scores and SOS and form our own opinion.
BTW luckyEPDad, get off Maverick's back..he wasn't insulting the Aney girls, but just asking a question about the ethics of running up the score while still playing their top line.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Though the first posting mentioned Century, there are other teams who have had to deal with this issue. Dodge County for one in their last game. Players getting 6 goals or 7 assists. There is not an easy position to take a stance on here, for many of the choices on how to handle these situations do have some sort of merit.

The Century girls are just playing when the coach tells them to get on the ice.
So they do. Same with Dodge County.

As for playing stronger schedules, school budgets may dictate how much or little travel each may do.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

nu2hockey wrote:Though the first posting mentioned Century, there are other teams who have had to deal with this issue. Dodge County for one in their last game. Players getting 6 goals or 7 assists. There is not an easy position to take a stance on here, for many of the choices on how to handle these situations do have some sort of merit.

The Century girls are just playing when the coach tells them to get on the ice.
So they do. Same with Dodge County.

As for playing stronger schedules, school budgets may dictate how much or little travel each may do.
And you can't do much about your conference games. Eden Prairie plays 8 conference games. Rochester Century plays 16. Many of Century's blowouts were against conference opponents. Century could try moving to another conference, but this parade may come to a screeching halt when the Aney sisters graduate. What then?
Maverick2000

Post by Maverick2000 »

Can show video that in last 10 minutes of game top 5 kids from DC did not play. In second period top kids all played but were with jv kids on their line and were all split up with 4 lines playing 6 d....point of all this is Aney kids are good hockey players but running up scores with top players to last second causes bad blood.
nu2hockey

inflated stats

Post by nu2hockey »

I'm not trying to argue or anything, but Hockey Hub shows in the last 10 min of DC game:

#5-1g 2a
#10- 1a
#33-1g 2a

Why does this not compare with your video?
Nevertoomuchhockey

You are sooo trying to argue. Love it. All in fun.

It's ridiculous to put "running up the score" on these or any kids. The coach decides who plays. The coach tells them what to do. Unless they are told that they have to have x amount of passes or y amount of touches or even play a no-shot zone offense, that's on the coach. Any player is going to try to score or help her line mates score unless coached to do differently.

Ever watched a great vs awful squirt or 10u game? Especially when there is a new goalie in net? There is a reason scorekeepers stop posting the goals sometimes. But if ours was the brand new goalie or awful team I never got pissed at the kid trying to get his first hat trick or get his buddy a goal. I maybe questioned the coaching philosophy, but mostly I used it as a teaching tool for my son.

If your kid is good enough to get scouted, it isn't going to matter whether a kid 150 miles away had 30 or 130 goals. How does that affect YOUR kids performance?
Maverick2000

Post by Maverick2000 »

I agree, no need to argue. Your stats are correct and show exactly that as they scored in the first 1/3 of the period then sat so guess you lost me as yes video does show this....?.....
nu2hockey

inflated stats

Post by nu2hockey »

Its good to see the stats now reflect what you said. When I posted I had just checked the hub and wrote the score times and order which has now been reversed on the hub to support the claim. That being the case I am glad to see DC does what it can in this type of game.
Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad »

luckyEPDad wrote:Though it makes sense to protect your top players in professional sports I don't think it really applies to youth or HS sports. The kids are on the team because they want to play. They are not resources that have to be managed. The purpose of a HS hockey team is to have kids play hockey, not win championships to bolster ticket sales. Sitting a player because they played well doesn't send the right message.

What I see most coaches do with a big lead is play their entire bench, even the backup JV players who would normally sit the entire game. In some cases I've seen coaches flip forwards and defense when the lead gets too big.
Great analysis and right on.
All coaches have one-year contracts in public schools (not sure about private schools). Winning does not give the coaches bonuses, higher salary or big corner offices. I would guess that coaches never get fired because a parent of a great player complains that their kid plays too much. It usually the opposite situation that gets the coach in hot water.

All of the girls coaches that I have meet are honestly interested in giving all players as much playing time as possible for the simple reason that they want to make it fun for all of the girls.
nu2hockey

inflated stats

Post by nu2hockey »

FYI Maverick

#33 goal should be shown as even strength

#17 goal should be short handed

Plz check and correct
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

not win championships
then why do they have championships?
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

InigoMontoya wrote:
not win championships
then why do they have championships?
You must work for the press. The quote was "The purpose of a HS hockey team is to have kids play hockey, not win championships to bolster ticket sales." Do you disagree with that statement? If so, why?
4Ralph

Post by 4Ralph »

Maverick2000 wrote:I see the Aney sisters from Rochester century are leading all scoring categories so I decided to look at some of their box scores. Now I do not know how every team operates but if our team has a game where the game is out of reach our coach sits our top players to prevent injury and also reward/develop the other players on the team. Last night in the box score I see century was up 8-2 with 10 seconds left in the game when Katie Aney scored her 4th goal of the game. I then looked through more of their box scores and see this numerous times take place. Again these points would not be happening for us as our coach sits top kids in these games. What do other teams do? Is this ethical from a player or coach? I can now see why they lead the state in everything as SOS is terrible and let these kids score at will and run up scores.......I don't think this would happen in boys check hockey as some player may give them a wake up call on the ice......
They did sit the sisters for a lot of the third period last night and allowed others who don't get as much ice time to play more. Just unfortunate for Katie that she did score on her last shift I guess.

A few games ago Century had a large lead after two periods and with the exception of a couple of shifts the Aney's sat the whole period out. Not sure if your box score checking showed you that or not.

Katie is an extremely unselfish player. If they have a comfortable lead she's more apt to bypass a decent shot on goal and pass off to another player who may not score as much.

I think if Century was trying to "run up the score" as you suggest, the Aney's would have a lot more points than they do now. Your accusation seems unfair to me. I've been following this team since they had to scrape a team together about 8 years ago to even exist today. I'm sure those who were around then have not forgotten what it's like to be on the other end of a lopsided game, and the current Century team has never come across as a team that keeps pouring it on when they do have a big lead.
Nevertoomuchhockey

You know what's unfortunate? That anybody considers scoring a goal like that to be unfortunate. If you want to dog the coach, feel free. But don't try and guilt the kid.
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

I'm so tired of this "complaint"... If you can't handle losing...don't play.
If you don't want to get "blown out" then get better. If you can't get better then don't schedule games with teams that are WAY better than yours.
Life (Sports) are not (and never were) intended to be fair. They were set up for one team to win and one to lose. If you need "fair" then go away!!
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

oldschoolpuckster wrote:I'm so tired of this "complaint"... If you can't handle losing...don't play.
If you don't want to get "blown out" then get better. If you can't get better then don't schedule games with teams that are WAY better than yours.
Life (Sports) are not (and never were) intended to be fair. They were set up for one team to win and one to lose. If you need "fair" then go away!!
I know what you mean, but sports are designed to be completely fair. No competitor has an advantage over another that is based on anything other than skill. Unfair is when things like handicapping are introduced so players of different skill levels can "compete".
AAA Dad

Post by AAA Dad »

oldschoolpuckster wrote:I'm so tired of this "complaint"... If you can't handle losing...don't play.

Best post on this forum in some time Old School!
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

Give everyone a medal than it will all be okay. :lol:
girlshockeyrocks

Post by girlshockeyrocks »

Did I miss a similar question of ethics last year when Schammel scored 3 points in third period in 13-1 February win over Waseca? Or the year before when Brandt scored the 11th goal late in third versus North St. Paul in 2nd to last reg season game? Why are you calling out the Aneys?

Undoubtedly they play a weak schedule and they would not be state leading scorers if they played in a good metro conference. But you shouldn't look at box scores, make assumptions, cherry pick results that support them and call out high school athletes. But since you want to associate these two with poor ethics, here's a little color on the last three blowout games the Aney sisters played in:

Versus Mayo - up 9-0 after two periods, neither scored a point in the third period. Hardly padding stats there.
Versus Austin - Austin tied the score 2-2 in third period, so it was a game at that point. Last goal by Jessie Aney has an assist from Gosse-Gram who never plays - they were trying to get her a goal, got her the puck for a shot, and then Jessie knocked in rebound. A career highlight for Gosse-Gram.
Versus Winona (the game you refer to) - Winona parked their top player, Moran on the far blue line the entire third period U10B style. Ethics? Do you back off on a team that is doing that??

I can't justify every blowout they've had but this is accurate for the last three games and debunks your assertion they are focused on running up the score for stats every game. But I can tell you that when games are decided, beginner players are often sent out with the Aney sisters in the third and they do everything they can to get that player a goal or even just a puck touch.

Edit: Just got more info on Winona game you refered to. Confirmed Moran sat on far blue whole third. But also, it was senior night and Century was double shifting a senior at end of game and Aneys were feeding her passes trying to get her a goal. Eventually Katie knocked it in a loose puck after the senior had multiple chances/shots as Aneys worked to get her the puck.
observer

Post by observer »

Tricky discussion. Is hockey the Aney's #1 sport. I seem to remember one or both of them are quite accomplished on the tennis court as well.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Solutions that should lay solely on the shoulders of the coach...
* dress the full roster (20 kids) therefore you can roll through 4 lines meaning your top kids are only getting out every 3-4 minutes. It shouldn't surprise a coach to win 17-1 so if you know that is going to happen then dress 20 kids.

* don't play top line on power play in 3rd period of a blowout.

* maybe there is a defenseman with no or very few goals. Move her to forward and move the stud players back to d. Maybe help that kid get a goal that doesn't score much.

Remember kids get noticed in the summer at advanced camps!! Not at a dodge county/Rochester century game. Very rarely do college scouts come out to regular games. They scout summer hockey, state tournament, and holiday tournaments.