Refs blew it

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MinnGirlsHockey

Re: Terrible referees

Post by MinnGirlsHockey »

MinnGirlsHockey wrote:Does anyone have any idea on the policy regarding the use of goal judges in section games? I'm not sure how you can have a goal judge on one end of the ice but not the other throughout the entire game. Does MSHSL have rules on this, or maybe it's section by section? And is it the same for Boys Hockey?

I attended both Section 4AA games on Saturday and they didn't have any goal judges --
I never did hear anything back on my earlier questions, apparently none of us knows how this is governed.

Section 4AA did have goal judges in both games tonight, apparently the games don't mean anything in 4AA until you get to the Semi's. To be fair to all teams, I think even the Quarterfinals should have them.
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

There are times when goal judges aren't available for some games. It's a hired position, and you need two per game.

Their only task is to turn on the light when the puck goes completely over the goal line. Nothing else.
MinnGirlsHockey

inthestands wrote:There are times when goal judges aren't available for some games. It's a hired position, and you need two per game.
My point is, if the MSHSL doesn't already, it should require each section to hire 2 goal judges for EVERY sectional playoff game. This shouldn't be that difficult or costly (in the grand scheme of things) to add them for quarterfinals or even play-in games. The seniors on the lower seeded teams who may never get to a sectional semifinal or final game deserve not to have their hockey career end based significantly on a disputed call by an on-ice official who had a bad view of the play. (I'm not referring to the ER-Burnsville game, based on the YouTube footage that ref was in good position on the ice.)
inthestands wrote:Their only task is to turn on the light when the puck goes completely over the goal line. Nothing else.
Their other task is to consult with the on-ice officials upon request. And hopefully the equipment is set up so that the red light cannot go on after time has expired. (But I'm not going to hold my breath on that last part....)
Marty

Post by Marty »

While it may seem like a slam dunk easy job. If these goal judges have not been working all season - what makes you think hiring goal judges for the Section games will be the answer. Adequate training ? Human error possible ?

I have seen pucks bounce in and out so fast that goal judge and official never saw it, but video (too many parents taping every game) clearly saw the goal on repeat.

Scoreboards vary from rink to rink and when I wasn't coaching I often was a minor official. I bet I have run scoreboards in 90% of the rinks in the metro including Ridder. Having the scoreboard and goal judge light swith installed, wire and completely functional is another BIG assumption.

Wan't the issue tied to the goal going in after the time expired.
Marty

Post by Marty »

I have seen time keepers do an imperfect job starting and stopping clocks too. Many of these paid minor officials take their job seriously beginning of the season through play-offs. Others no so much.

How many game winning goals were never shot, because seconds on the clock ran off early some point in the game.
MinnGirlsHockey

Marty wrote:While it may seem like a slam dunk easy job. If these goal judges have not been working all season - what makes you think hiring goal judges for the Section games will be the answer. Adequate training ? Human error possible ?

I have seen pucks bounce in and out so fast that goal judge and official never saw it, but video (too many parents taping every game) clearly saw the goal on repeat.

Scoreboards vary from rink to rink and when I wasn't coaching I often was a minor official. I bet I have run scoreboards in 90% of the rinks in the metro including Ridder. Having the scoreboard and goal judge light swith installed, wire and completely functional is another BIG assumption.

Wan't the issue tied to the goal going in after the time expired.
Agreed, it would still not be a perfect system. But better than we have now.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Curious if the same policies on goal judges are in-place for boys and girls hockey ?

With tightening budgets and most sports being a negative on cash flow ... adding costs is not feasible in today's HS sports budgets.

The actually cost paid by each athlete will continue to increase as school boards are held accountable for budgets and put more of the expense back on those actually participating.
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

Marty wrote:Curious if the same policies on goal judges are in-place for boys and girls hockey ?

With tightening budgets and most sports being a negative on cash flow ... adding costs is not feasible in today's HS sports budgets.

The actually cost paid by each athlete will continue to increase as school boards are held accountable for budgets and put more of the expense back on those actually participating.
Guidelines are the same for boys and girls.

Bottom line, goal judges are not readily available for all section games. The games I've attended have had them, but not all do. Week night HS games are not all that easy to get people to do the job.

As for directions, the goal judge is instructed to turn on the light when the puck completely crosses the line. Nothing more, nothing less. If the on ice official has a question, they give their view.

College level season games have started going without goal judges when using 4 person officiating crews. Cost is a factor, and I assume they feel 4 sets of eyes should be sufficient.

As long as we have *people* officiating, there will be someone feeling slighted. There are very few people willing to have a positive impact on that part of the game, yet we all feel the striped shirts should be perfect every second of every game. That's just not possible in any sport.

Take a look at this thread title. Says a lot about where the fan base stands on controversial issues.. The finger is rarely pointed at a weakness of a team, player, coach or missed opportunities during said game..

Responsibility rarely goes on anyone's shoulders other than the official.. That said, as with any form of work there's a wide spectrum of people involved. I would have to assume people working section games have proven their worth during the season and over the course of time..
RailingWizardofOZ

Post by RailingWizardofOZ »

"The finger is rarely pointed at a weakness of a team, player, coach or missed opportunities during said game.. "

Spot on with your analysis, however, I would comically disagree with the order of finger pointing from the stands. It's usually 1. Ref. 2. Coach. 3. Ref & coach equally. 4. Every other player with the exception of own daughter. 5. Goalie
The Next One

Post by The Next One »

I don't believe it was a good goal. But, if the linesman thought it was no goal why would he peel away from the other ref and celebration?....both the other ref and linesman would have to be 100% no goal to override the signaled goal....not 90-95%, but both 100%.....judging by this video, angle, timing, looks like they got it right....tough spot for any ref to be in, kudos to them
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

The Next One wrote:I don't believe it was a good goal. But, if the linesman thought it was no goal why would he peel away from the other ref and celebration?....both the other ref and linesman would have to be 100% no goal to override the signaled goal....not 90-95%, but both 100%.....judging by this video, angle, timing, looks like they got it right....tough spot for any ref to be in, kudos to them
Love the blog, hate the tittle!! Sounds like if they would have called it the other way it would have been just as big as an injustice.

Have friends on ER and none on Burnsville, but "refs blew it" reeks of upset parent!

If all refs, scorers table and goal judge call it a goal, and just one ref notices that time had expired, the goal has to be overturned.

Props out to the East Ridge girls for some serious improvement!!!