Achiever Academy ineligible girl players?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeyfan21

Post by hockeyfan21 »

Froggy Richards wrote:
Nobody has mentioned anything about what a shame this would be for the girls on the AA team if true. If all of this is true, then the blame lies solely with the school, not the girls. It's too bad there isn't a solution that would punish the school and not the girls. I'm not sure calling out the Dogs to go and cheer against a bunch of young girls who just want to play Hockey is the best solution I've ever heard. Just sayin....
Stop using logic, reason and empathy, the mob is already on the move. I am by no means on AA fan (I have posted complaints about them from the outset, mostly about the academic side), and you are correct about the kids. The people who should be punished if these allegations are true are in order:

1: The Parents. Kids cant rent apartments on their own. Kids cant enroll to schools on their own. If my kid asked me to eat ice cream for all 3 meals each day, its my job to say no its not healthy. Same with these parents. Chasing a dream is one thing. Sacrificing your education for a pipe dream is another. Your job as a parent is to be the voice of reason. Anyone with an ounce of objectivity and their head screwed on remotely straight saw this as a sham education and hockey school.

2: The School. For allowing an avenue for the obsessive over the top parents to put their childs academic future at risk for A SPORT. For not being honest and up front with these parents and players about the rules regarding transfer and eligibility. For hiring people who are woefully under-qualified to "instruct" them in the classroom. For putting their dreams of making money off of hockey ahead of a kids dream of playing hockey.

There is no place for this in hockey, education, or to be honest society.
skateittillyouloseit

Post by skateittillyouloseit »

I know several of the players on the AA team and those kids don't deserve the ridicule. The parents were under the understanding that because AA was new this year, the transfer rule didn't apply to them. MSHSL needs to simply clarify if AA is exempt from the rule or not.
If AA is not exempt and, erroneously or intentionally, allowed these girls to play, they should forfeit. Anyone close to the situation knows that several girls who are 10th-12th graders this year, did not move in order to satisfy the transfer rule.
We wait for the League to act....still waiting?
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

I've seen the email as I'm sure a lot of you have. This link will be required reading for next years class of recruits and foster parents (who I'm sure are really sweet people).

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_ar ... _id=980516

I'm just kidding, there's no way there will be a next year for this place.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Froggy Richards wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:If your 4A or metro team doesn't have a contest tonight I encourage you to come out to the SPU/AA game tonight and take a stand for what's right. I know we will be there wearing red white and blue (my daughter rocking the #7 jersey if I can fashion one with old jersey and tape!) Lets fill the arena for SPU. I know one of their first line forwards is out, hope the D1 first line D is back to health. Regardless, they should be confident that their talent and the home ice atmosphere of the crowd we can provide will get them the W. Lets keep it classy boys, but if MSHL and AA can't or won't do the right thing, we can.
So brave the snow and cold and join us. Remember it's not nearly as far for you to get there as it is for the AA parents!

And awwww... Thanks pepper. Cya tonite?
Nobody has mentioned anything about what a shame this would be for the girls on the AA team if true. If all of this is true, then the blame lies solely with the school, not the girls. It's too bad there isn't a solution that would punish the school and not the girls. I'm not sure calling out the Dogs to go and cheer against a bunch of young girls who just want to play Hockey is the best solution I've ever heard. Just sayin....
Never said anything about cheering against AA. I don't plan to interact or acknowledge their fans or girls in anything but the respectful manner I always treat the opposing team. I was encouraging only showing up in support OF United not AGAINST the Aces. I'm wearing the SPU colors not picketing the AA locker room or hanging a CP doll from the tree outside. C'mon!

And a number of us have mentioned how unfortunate it would be for the girls at AA if it wasn't true. And how awful for the actually eligible girls playing by the rules. AND the families and kids who were lied to from day 1 and now have to deal with this. Now we now it IS true. I feel sorry for all the AA girls ALMOST as much as I feel sorry for the girls and teams who had their seasons ended or their records and seedings negatively affected by losses to an illegal team.
drop the puck

Post by drop the puck »

Game on. :?:

Hopefully the SPA parents have not convinced their daughters that they are helpless victims. Play the game and create your own destiny.
Nevertoomuchhockey

hockeyfan21 wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
Stop using logic, reason and empathy, the mob is already on the move. I am by no means on AA fan (I have posted complaints about them from the outset, mostly about the academic side), and you are correct about the kids. The people who should be punished if these allegations are true are in order:

1: The Parents. Kids cant rent apartments on their own. Kids cant enroll to schools on their own. If my kid asked me to eat ice cream for all 3 meals each day, its my job to say no its not healthy. Same with these parents. Chasing a dream is one thing. Sacrificing your education for a pipe dream is another. Your job as a parent is to be the voice of reason. Anyone with an ounce of objectivity and their head screwed on remotely straight saw this as a sham education and hockey school.

2: The School. For allowing an avenue for the obsessive over the top parents to put their childs academic future at risk for A SPORT. For not being honest and up front with these parents and players about the rules regarding transfer and eligibility. For hiring people who are woefully under-qualified to "instruct" them in the classroom. For putting their dreams of making money off of hockey ahead of a kids dream of playing hockey.

There is no place for this in hockey, education, or to be honest society.
That's a start. Please add:

3: the coach. The name, reputation, and word of this one person brought a lot of interest and a lot of talent to this program. I believe he didn't have to bend the rules to make this program successful. But considering his résumé and history with MN girls hockey, he knew every rule and chose to break them. Going so far as to tell prospective parents they'd be exempt.

4: the MSHSL. It's been so AGGRAVATING to read the public comments this week and the extremely slow investigative wheels turn. They've had FACTUAL PROOF for over 24 hours and still nothing. Going back to the acceptance of AA into the league as a 4A school in the first place, then relying on them to "self-monitor" their eligibility? Who was supposed to do that - the new parent owners? The coach? The Twins GM? MSHSL, ESP the eligibility director, need to be called to the carpet on this.
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

AAA Dad wrote:Come on AMERICAN! Don't tell me you are finished with your closing arguments?....... Not too late to get another article on the hub before 7pm.

I am not who you think I am so that gives me hope that what you think of the Achiever situation is not exactly as you say either... Most attorneys will defend either side of an issue with equal passion for their own agenda be it money or to get to an end that benefits their daughters hockey team.

So far it looks like the puck is dropping at 7pm today. As some have said here win the dang game and go to State! I will shed no tears personally if that happens and Achiever loses. It would mean back to 2-3 hours of development and training per day for the rest of the school year. Believe it or not this is why this group is here. This group has its eyes on a much bigger prize than hanging a Section or State banner somewhere. They don't even have an arena to hang one in.
I believe the portion above in bold is also a violation of MSHSL rules. Kids cannot even stickhandle at open gym in the off season. It's possible that by separating NE and AA they are able to get around this rule, however it flies in the face of what other teams are required to do. They are required to be hands off with hockey training during the offseason, with the summer waiver being an exception.
Nevertoomuchhockey

drop the puck wrote:Game on. :?:

Hopefully the SPA parents have not convinced their daughters that they are helpless victims. Play the game and create your own destiny.
Yes, like the Eastview parents who lost because of a blown call. Team USA must be victims too after their loss last night?

If you read the United coach's classy comments in the Strib, they are going into tonight like any other BIGGEST GAME THEY'VE EVER PLAYED. Like all of our teams they've worked hard all season to be at their best tonight. It's kind of a lose lose for them too - if they win detractors will say AA was distracted by the hype, if they lose detractors will say they generated this hype to distract AA and it worked against them. Either way, they can sleep well tonight knowing THEY DIDN'T CHEAT, AA did and there is proof, they had a great season, and they can quiet all their detractors by winning their next game at STATE.
TXinMyRearView

Ineligible

Post by TXinMyRearView »

Looks like you guys got your wish, AA Girls ineligible.
drop the puck

Post by drop the puck »

They cannot practice with their HS coach during the off season except for mid-June through end of July.

Other than that:

Many girls barely get a break running from the HS team to their AAA team and/OR F.H.I.T., OS, Blades. Often many girls (of the same grade) are on the same team, if not the same line.

AAA hockey if full of HM, SPU, BSM, Edina, Stillwater, etc helmets in play.
powerplayer

Post by powerplayer »

WOW! What does this mean for SPU? Do they automatically get to go to the State Tournament?
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

Hockey fan21 is spot on! Come on aprents, quit pimping out your kids!!! Sad deal all around. Deciever Acadamy should be ashamed! Parents should have known better.
Jabobby

Re: Ineligible

Post by Jabobby »

TXinMyRearView wrote:Looks like you guys got your wish, AA Girls ineligible.
Is there a link to another site for confirmation?
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

Here is a quote from an AA parent pulled off the Strib. Sad!

ACHIEVERS PARENT ·

"Chris promised my husband and daughter a state championship in 2014 along with any eligibility concerns would be addressed and not to worry. I am truely sorry we made this decision to believe this was the best program for our daughter. Truely sorry to all those affected by the lies and deceit of AA!!!!!"
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

drop the puck wrote:They cannot practice with their HS coach during the off season except for mid-June through end of July.

Other than that:

Many girls barely get a break running from the HS team to their AAA team and/OR F.H.I.T., OS, Blades. Often many girls (of the same grade) are on the same team, if not the same line.

AAA hockey if full of HM, SPU, BSM, Edina, Stillwater, etc helmets in play.
The rules are very specific and yes, girls can play on summer teams together. The activities cannot be organized by ANY member of the coaching staff or school. The weight room supervisor cannot organize any training SPECIFIC to the sport that is out of season. Open gym, that is organized by the staff or school cannot have basketball players shooting hoops. They can play twister together, but they can't shoot baskets. They can weight train and do many physical activities, but they cannot be specific to their sport. I don't think that the 3-4 hours of hockey specific training per day are without organization by some school "official or coach". Like I said, they may have ways around it, but in my mind it's just another detail that others abide by, they feel they don't have to. Play hockey and enjoy it, but the MSHSL is the wrong place to do it.
TXinMyRearView

Post by TXinMyRearView »

Is there a link to the story?
drop the puck

Post by drop the puck »

It will move through the coaches and AD (notify next of kin sort of thing) before the Strib can write the article.

MSHSL - do they issue press releases on their site ?
Nevertoomuchhockey

How in the world are you the first to know this?
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
How in the world are you the first to know this?
Looks like BP beat him by a few minutes in the other thread....
AMERICAN

Post by AMERICAN »

Truth and justice does exist my friends- just remember to have the courage to fight for what's right. I am truly sorry that AA took advantage of these innocent children and committed fraud and misrepresentation to many of their parents. I am sorry for both Sibley and Mahtomedi and had hoped that they could have been saved by the harm since to powers at be had the information necessary make their decision. I feel bad for the League in that they put their trust in people and got duped in this case. They jobs should be promoting the great sport of hockey in Minnesota- not worrying about stuff like this. Well, that's it for you guys hearing from AMERICAN for awhile. Gotta get onto the next case.
Jabobby

Official statement

Post by Jabobby »

Statement from the MSHSL...

At the request of the MSHSL, Achiever Academy has conducted a review of athletic eligibility determinations of students identified by the MSHSL for violating the Transfer Eligibility rules of the League. The new ownership of Achiever Academy has met with students and supported them and their families, and has simultaneously worked with the MSHSL to resolve their concerns. To that end, Achiever Academy has decided to withdraw its girls’ hockey team from further participation in the 2013-2014 hockey season. The MSHSL appreciates the cooperative steps Achiever Academy has made and looks forward to future participation together as a member of the MSHSL.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/245432791.html

Too bad on so many levels…what happens to the girls for next year that were NOT ineligible at AA?
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

I think all the AA girls will be ruled free agents and free to go to any school that will take them. It will be to big of a mess to send them back to the school where they last played because some have moved. They will get the same privilages that a 9th grader gets. Just my opinon. Should be a feeding frenzy by the bigtime programs (coaches) for a few of the kids.
Homer

Post by Homer »

JohnnyBuck wrote:Here is a quote from an AA parent pulled off the Strib. Sad!

ACHIEVERS PARENT ·

"Chris promised my husband and daughter a state championship in 2014 along with any eligibility concerns would be addressed and not to worry. I am truely sorry we made this decision to believe this was the best program for our daughter. Truely sorry to all those affected by the lies and deceit of AA!!!!!"
Has Palmquist called this family yet? :wink:
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

JohnnyBuck wrote: ACHIEVERS PARENT ·

"Chris promised my husband and daughter a state championship in 2014"
Sounds a bit like recruiting if this 'promise' was made before this girl was enrolled. I wonder if upset parents will disclose any other violations.

Sad deal for MSHSL.