Achiever Academy ineligible girl players?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Coachk

Post by Coachk » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:46 pm

Not sure of which team you speak of that lost to Shattuck. I know that us and Shattuck go back when I started in girls hockey in 1995. The Crunch disolved after their Burlington OT tournament a few years ago, I guess because of some bookkeeping errors or something of that nature.
There really is no state tournament for U19s as there is just a district playoff and then the winner is off to Nationals. Usually one team gets to go, but this year us and Shattuck are attending in Marborough MA this April.

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:38 pm

A few years ago there were 2 before and after girls teams participated in a playoff with Shattuck and the T-breds, I think 2003.

As for Tier I there are many rues to follow both USA Hockey and Mn Hockey. I am willing to bet the Fire model is dead and buried, one tried in Iowa and goofed that up and I would be very surprised if Wisconsin would allow again.

MinnGirlsHockey

Post by MinnGirlsHockey » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:48 pm

Bulldog3489 wrote:
52cent wrote:
Bulldog3489 wrote:
mnhockeyguy2014 wrote:Correct Bulldog

District 6 said that any players at MN Made could not also participate in Assoc. Hockey and Bernie sued them saying that was illegal and won. He has recently added Pee Wees and bantams will prob follow and Tier 1 seems to be a reasonable end goal with the pipeline. Pretty sure Bernie would like to address the fact that no more Tier 1 teams are allowed based out of MN besides Shattuck and T-breds earlier than later. Makes sense he might partner with NE/AA to get it done??
At the high school ages, there have been other Tier 1 teams in recent years so saying Minnesota hockey only let's Shattuck and T-Breds do it is not true.
My post said ---in season-- programs and, as far as I know other than Shattuck, there are no in season Tier 1 teams out of Minnesota. Name them if there were.
On the girls side, something called the Minnesota Crunch a couple years ago. Before that there was another team besides T-breds that lost to Shattuck in the state tournament I can't remember the name. Someone here will.
Coachk wrote:Not sure of which team you speak of that lost to Shattuck. I know that us and Shattuck go back when I started in girls hockey in 1995. The Crunch disolved after their Burlington OT tournament a few years ago, I guess because of some bookkeeping errors or something of that nature.
There really is no state tournament for U19s as there is just a district playoff and then the winner is off to Nationals. Usually one team gets to go, but this year us and Shattuck are attending in Marborough MA this April.
It looks like Bulldog was thinking of the Walser team from the 2006-07 and 2007-08 seasons.

I found the info below under the 'Past State Tournaments (2007-2010)' link on minnesotahockey.org:

2008:
Minnesota District Playoff
19 & Under A at Blaine
Thoroughbreds 3 – Walser 1
Shattuck/St. Mary’s 12 – Walser 0
Thoroughbreds 0 – Shattuck/St. Mary’s 4
Shattuck/St. Mary’s advanced to National Tournament

2007:
Minnkota District Playoff
19 & Under A at Blaine
Thoroughbreds 5 – Walser 0
Shattuck/St. Mary’s 2 – Thoroughbreds 1
Shattuck/St. Mary’s 5 – Walser 1
Championship – Shattuck/St. Mary’s 5 – Thoroughbreds 2

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:14 pm

Wasn't Duluth Marshall a Tier 1 team at 14s (that was planning to move into 16s and 19s before their coaches blew it up?) I remember seeing all the press about the novelty of that program in MN - based on the SSM model. Hardwater pointed out a while back that it was not MSHL affiliated. I know it's demise was internal not external (not because it was MN hockey model incompatible.) The metro offers a lot more options for competitive and elite hockey than Duluth can simply based on the numbers, but I wonder if this is the type of program a reincarnated AA (PLEASE CHANGE THE NAME!) would try to be re-born as. If all the players, recruits, and cash don't go the way of the judicial system. Maybe the hockey lawyers are done with the Marshall litigation and can put their experience to use for the AA admin and coaches? I know MSHL has their attorney ready to fight the Tier 1 battle. But the low down dirty way the league dealt with/didn't deal with AA/CP means it will prob be easier for "Achiever" Tier 1 than it was for Marshall? Thoughts? You here HW??

Bulldog3489

Post by Bulldog3489 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:17 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:The metro offers a lot more options for competitive and elite hockey than Duluth can simply based on the numbers, but I wonder if this is the type of program a reincarnated AA (PLEASE CHANGE THE NAME!) would try to be re-born as. If all the players, recruits, and cash don't go the way of the judicial system. Maybe the hockey lawyers are done with the Marshall litigation and can put their experience to use for the AA admin and coaches? I know MSHL has their attorney ready to fight the Tier 1 battle. But the low down dirty way the league dealt with/didn't deal with AA/CP means it will prob be easier for "Achiever" Tier 1 than it was for Marshall? Thoughts? You here HW??

Shattuck is over $40,000 per year before additional hockey costs. The hockey academies out east are in the same price range. Think you are going to find a ton of parents to spend that, instead of playing elite league and high school for under a $1000?

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:41 pm

No offense to all those that have a lot to say about AA, but I for one find the whole thing depressing and an overall slight against girls hockey. I am not condemning anyone but will say that whatever happened it should not have come to this. Can we call this issue beaten to death and move on to something, anything, that is more positive for girls high school hockey?

Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:11 pm

Marshall was a MH approved Tier1 program, although it was a dogfight to get the affiliate agreement in place. Duluth is a wonderful hockey town that easily attracted girls to move there and attend a quality prep school. It didn't work out for reasons having nothing to do with the model or numbers. Ironically, right now five of the girls from that team, including my daughter, are having a fantastic time in St. Paul, participating in the best girls hockey tournament in the world. Tier1 has its place in MN, IMO. So does HS. Each have their benefits and both provide an important role. HS will always be King, or should I say Queen, in the land of hockey though, as it should be. So, in that spirit, let's let the folks at AA heal while we celebrate the wonderful culmination of dreams taking place in St. Paul.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:21 pm

Congrats to your daughter and the former Marshall girls! What is an affiliation agreement?

Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:11 pm

MN Hockey operates much like an upside-down pyramid in that the power, in this case, falls in the lap of associations. USA Hockey won't recognize a MN Tier program without MH's blessing. If an association views it as a threat, it won't go anywhere at MH. It's pretty clever the way they have it ordered, ultimately creating a situation that is very difficult to get approved. Residency percentage rules also make it difficult. Most of these "rules" were created after SSM pioneered their program through the brilliance of Craig Norwich, a true visionary. It's a shame the original paperwork surrounding the creation of SSM was lost by MH, forcing them to create a new agreement with Faribault years later (2011) after SSM was established and no.longer a threat. Weird how that stuff happened, considering how that single agreement could forever change the face of hockey in MN. Keep in mind this has nothing to do with MSHSL, just USA, MH and Tier status which you need to play other TIER teams/tournaments. So, the round-about answer to your question is: An agreement that makes a hockey organization an affiliate of MH and USA Hockey.

Bulldog3489

Post by Bulldog3489 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:05 am

Has any high school ever tried to get approval for older kids and failed? I don't care about youth just U16 or older.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:57 am

Interesting stuff , I would love to hear the SSM story plus any others. Think maybe this should be another thread though.

JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Anxiously waiting for Americans closing statement now that the state tourney is over.

AMERICAN

Post by AMERICAN » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:26 am

Johnny- It has been drafted and entitled: "Game Misconduct: A Cheating Academy". It is 5 plus pages of a detailed play by play of all the events. As much as I'd like to give it to everyone now I've decided to hold off in hopes of trying to work with some of the individuals I talk about to get a better system in place so that the AA situation never happens again. Wish me luck!

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Good luck!
I agree we've discussed this to death but I'm curious what happens next....

Marty

Post by Marty » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:10 pm

Should be a good match up next February. AA vs SPU in the Section 4 finals.

SPU should have a field day recruiting 8th grade girls into their program now they have leap frogged over SSP and made it to state. Maybe a couple families will even move over to Randolph to justify the switch in schools for a couple older players.

puckdreams

Post by puckdreams » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:00 pm

AMERICAN,
Just wondering when we can expect to see your essay on this situation?