Tis the Transfer season...

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

zambonidriver
Posts: 697
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:31 am

Post by zambonidriver » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:25 am

InigoMontoya wrote:Elem schools? Yes, that would be a good use of all their extra money. Then we won't always be bothered with voting on those pesky referendums, the school districts begging to give us back our tax dollars.
You know that isn't what I meant You are a funny guy but sometimes....

titleist
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:12 am

Post by titleist » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
titleist wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
titleist wrote:
Mavs wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
titleist wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:SSP goalie graduated...replacement has lots of potential(6'4" )
SPU said goodbye to Cole..new coach in place
Farmington going to SSM
Mad Cap girl playing with Woodbury in summer scrimmages

Roseville numbers appear down but don't know how they are gutted by losing one player, maybe more are leaving

I don't know if a 12-12 team would be considered good or strong..Average at best would be my thought..the influx of 1 player would help some

Roseville losing 3 varsity players from 2015 roster...


This is what I meant when I said "gutted."

Between graduation and transfers, losing your top goalie, an all conference defender, your leading scorer, and a player (to a conference rival) who would likely be a top-4 defender this year is never good.

They have a great player in 7th grade who plays PeeWee A (was the captain last year as a first-year) but the numbers are low on the girls side. Only 7-8 girls in 7th grade are playing.
What is going on over there? That has always been a good program and they have had players (Centennial, Hudson, etc) move in but suddenly kids are leaving? Ex-assistant coach's kid leaving? Whitecaps player leaving?

Roseville and WBL appear to be taking a big hit on the east side. Will they just be private school feeder programs going forward? That would be sad.


Every case of the kids that are leaving Roseville are different, but yet the same. Without getting into details, I'll just say that the school and the hockey program just isn't what it used to be..the kids, the effort, the school, and for some, the coaches...and that is why kids are leaving...
Don't you think it's a numbers problem more than anything else? Roseville simply doesn't have the number of girls playing to sustain any significant defections.

Example: I believe there are seven girls playing that are going into 7th grade. That's it. 3 play PeeWees, the others will be second year U12s. They almost need every one of those girls to be varsity caliber to avoid a talent deficit against other Suburban East team. That's asking a lot.

I get what you're saying, but man, 3 years ago this team was playing in the state title game and had 5-7 D1 players on the roster. Other than "number of quality players," how could other things (effort, school) change so quickly?
Its pretty simple...the people that have run this program at the youth level have run it into the ground. They have been supporting friends instead of trying to produce talented players. They have ignored suggestions from people who have been around and who want the program to succeed, so they can piss good money away on a training program that only delivers a watered down version of what it takes to continue a tradition. They've instilled mediocrity (at best), and are simply ok with losing, (as long as little Susie had fun...) And lastly, creating a safe environment for kids who don't like to work hard to chastise those kids who do like to work hard. Did I mention showing quality coaches the door so they can put popular with the parents coaches in...
If you look up and down the program, both boys and girls, I believe there was only one team that that finished higher than 3rd in any given division....that is brutal in my opinion.

Finally, they have hired Winny to take over their development program...but it might be 5 years too late.
That's an expensive answer.

It can't be any worse than what they were spending at Acceleration MN, especially based on the results they got...

jg2112
Posts: 813
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 am

Post by jg2112 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:40 pm

titleist wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
titleist wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
titleist wrote:
Mavs wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
titleist wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:SSP goalie graduated...replacement has lots of potential(6'4" )
SPU said goodbye to Cole..new coach in place
Farmington going to SSM
Mad Cap girl playing with Woodbury in summer scrimmages

Roseville numbers appear down but don't know how they are gutted by losing one player, maybe more are leaving

I don't know if a 12-12 team would be considered good or strong..Average at best would be my thought..the influx of 1 player would help some

Roseville losing 3 varsity players from 2015 roster...


This is what I meant when I said "gutted."

Between graduation and transfers, losing your top goalie, an all conference defender, your leading scorer, and a player (to a conference rival) who would likely be a top-4 defender this year is never good.

They have a great player in 7th grade who plays PeeWee A (was the captain last year as a first-year) but the numbers are low on the girls side. Only 7-8 girls in 7th grade are playing.
What is going on over there? That has always been a good program and they have had players (Centennial, Hudson, etc) move in but suddenly kids are leaving? Ex-assistant coach's kid leaving? Whitecaps player leaving?

Roseville and WBL appear to be taking a big hit on the east side. Will they just be private school feeder programs going forward? That would be sad.


Every case of the kids that are leaving Roseville are different, but yet the same. Without getting into details, I'll just say that the school and the hockey program just isn't what it used to be..the kids, the effort, the school, and for some, the coaches...and that is why kids are leaving...
Don't you think it's a numbers problem more than anything else? Roseville simply doesn't have the number of girls playing to sustain any significant defections.

Example: I believe there are seven girls playing that are going into 7th grade. That's it. 3 play PeeWees, the others will be second year U12s. They almost need every one of those girls to be varsity caliber to avoid a talent deficit against other Suburban East team. That's asking a lot.

I get what you're saying, but man, 3 years ago this team was playing in the state title game and had 5-7 D1 players on the roster. Other than "number of quality players," how could other things (effort, school) change so quickly?
Its pretty simple...the people that have run this program at the youth level have run it into the ground. They have been supporting friends instead of trying to produce talented players. They have ignored suggestions from people who have been around and who want the program to succeed, so they can piss good money away on a training program that only delivers a watered down version of what it takes to continue a tradition. They've instilled mediocrity (at best), and are simply ok with losing, (as long as little Susie had fun...) And lastly, creating a safe environment for kids who don't like to work hard to chastise those kids who do like to work hard. Did I mention showing quality coaches the door so they can put popular with the parents coaches in...
If you look up and down the program, both boys and girls, I believe there was only one team that that finished higher than 3rd in any given division....that is brutal in my opinion.

Finally, they have hired Winny to take over their development program...but it might be 5 years too late.
That's an expensive answer.

It can't be any worse than what they were spending at Acceleration MN, especially based on the results they got...
As far as these training facilities go, there may not be a worse return on investment than hockey treadmills. Plyometric and strength training is far superior as a training tool than a treadmill that only reinforces tightening of the hip flexors and really does not mimic skating in a good way.

itsfoilcoach
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:02 pm

Post by itsfoilcoach » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:40 pm

Great topic everyone. Just getting into the hockey season here on the boards. As far as the Nu2hockeys question on the - 6"4 goalie. She is a SSP 10 grader this year. Very intemadating I would think skating up to that.. Saw her play last year as a 9th grader at a varsity game, they beat Hibbing 1-0 at a holiday tournament.

MN_Bowhunter
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:08 am

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:09 am

itsfoilcoach wrote:Great topic everyone. Just getting into the hockey season here on the boards. As far as the Nu2hockeys question on the - 6"4 goalie. She is a SSP 10 grader this year. Very intemadating I would think skating up to that.. Saw her play last year as a 9th grader at a varsity game, they beat Hibbing 1-0 at a holiday tournament.
Thought I'd bump this thread since we have one for discussing transfers...There's irony here if you look deep enough for it.

Nevertoomuchhockey
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:47 am

MN_Bowhunter wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:Great topic everyone. Just getting into the hockey season here on the boards. As far as the Nu2hockeys question on the - 6"4 goalie. She is a SSP 10 grader this year. Very intemadating I would think skating up to that.. Saw her play last year as a 9th grader at a varsity game, they beat Hibbing 1-0 at a holiday tournament.
Thought I'd bump this thread since we have one for discussing transfers...There's irony here if you look deep enough for it.
Not actually that deep. I'd use the words "hypocrisy" and maybe "irony."

How's that for gasoline the day before the games begin...!

Mnnstar
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:11 am

Bailey to Gentry

Post by Mnnstar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 pm

Ava Bailey moving from H/M to Gentry

Bardown96
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:31 am

Post by Bardown96 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:48 pm

I also heard rumor the Farmington leading scorer Agerter? is going to Gentry as well.

highgloveside
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Post by highgloveside » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:11 am

Looks like Gentry coach is plucking as many girls possible from his original OS squad from a few years ago. If you're a HS coach and you have one of those girls on your team currently, Look out :shock:

Mnnstar
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:11 am

Post by Mnnstar » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:32 pm

I don't see what the lure is for Gentry since they can't play in the national championships. Revolution tried the same thing and folded.

nu2hockey
Posts: 642
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:03 pm

highgloveside wrote:Looks like Gentry coach is plucking as many girls possible from his original OS squad from a few years ago. If you're a HS coach and you have one of those girls on your team currently, Look out :shock:
Bailey wasn't on the OS squad ....


From what I have seen, Burton has dramatically improved his players and teams at OS and now at Gentry...i was surprised how much Gentry improved last year...good for him and great for the kids

highgloveside
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Post by highgloveside » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:33 pm

He knows his niche that's for sure. The only way to know how the Gentry gals are improving is to have a girl on the team. That way you can follow the progress from start to finish. I don't think you one could delineate performance of the team or individuals by casually catching a few games (Gentry). Gentry is somewhat of a mystery to most and would be nice to get a bit more knowledge about their girls program. Care to dish?

InigoMontoya
Posts: 1716
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Post by InigoMontoya » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:38 pm

Mnnstar wrote:I don't see what the lure is for Gentry since they can't play in the national championships. Revolution tried the same thing and folded.
Running to something, or running away from something?

massalsa
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Post by massalsa » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:30 pm

Heard about and then saw a player play that is committed to Harvard this weekend at OS Prospects. According to the google she attended and played for Selects Academy last year and is from Idaho. Word at the rink is she will be playing for Edina this upcoming season. She is a forward who is a rising junior (2020 graduate).

InigoMontoya
Posts: 1716
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Post by InigoMontoya » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:12 pm

massalsa wrote:Heard about and then saw a player play that is committed to Harvard this weekend at OS Prospects. According to the google she attended and played for Selects Academy last year and is from Idaho. Word at the rink is she will be playing for Edina this upcoming season. She is a forward who is a rising junior (2020 graduate).
Is she a game-changer? Does she put the brakes on the Bears' chances to get to state.

massalsa
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Post by massalsa » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:58 pm

Bears were already an underdog prior to this potential transfer. She will most likely score a bunch of points. One of the best D in the state if not the USA will most likely finally be old enough to play on the varsity team there this season. SHE IS A GAME-CHANGER transfer from either the south or east arena in the same building.

I only saw part of a game vs college players (or what felt like 1/2 of the 18/19 gopher women's team and some other D1 players) and no one was very remarkable on the younger team against the college players. I think the score was 6 or 7 to zero when I left.

https://www.oshockey.com/page/show/4203 ... ts-rosters

15/19 skaters on the White roster are committed (I believe 2 of the non asterisks are committed including the possible transfer).

Edina is going to be loaded for YEARS (at least on the girls side). They should be a heavy favorite to win the section and the state for the next 4 years. Bears should be good but a significant underdog to the Hornets to make it to state this and for years to come.

You heard it here first...Edina Hornets will be state champs for three of the next four seasons. Andover will win the other one. 18/19, 19/20, 20/21, AND 21/22.

highgloveside
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Post by highgloveside » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:07 pm

Never underestimate the Private Power. The only thing better than money is more money :D . By the way are you sure Andover can get by Flake. They are awfully good in that section. As far as OS Prospects are concerned I heard one prospect team was a bit more stacked than the others?? or did they all fare the same?

Bardown96
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:31 am

Post by Bardown96 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Very True/Rumor is that Lakeville North has three girls from out of MN coming in that are Northeastern commits to play with the Lakeville D1 Northeastern Commit. State HS league Alert

bodyup88
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:58 am

Re: Tis the Transfer season...

Post by bodyup88 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Now that school is officially in session at most high schools, any news of player movements recently?

O-townClown
Posts: 4200
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re:

Post by O-townClown » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Bardown96 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:21 pm
Very True/Rumor is that Lakeville North has three girls from out of MN coming in that are Northeastern commits to play with the Lakeville D1 Northeastern Commit. State HS league Alert
Three girls coming from elsewhere to join same HS team? Unless they are siblings I highly doubt.
Be kind. Rewind.

bodyup88
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:58 am

Re: Tis the Transfer season...

Post by bodyup88 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:04 pm

Anyone know what happened to the Cretin goalie from the past couple of years? She's not on the Cretin roster.

Mnnstar
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:11 am

Re: Tis the Transfer season...

Post by Mnnstar » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:44 am

bodyup88 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:04 pm
Anyone know what happened to the Cretin goalie from the past couple of years? She's not on the Cretin roster.
Rumor has it that she decided to quit the game. I guess some of her teammates spread some pretty horrible rumors. If true sad it happened.

bodyup88
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:58 am

Re: Tis the Transfer season...

Post by bodyup88 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:30 am

If true that is horrible. She is a very talented goalie and I hope she is doing OK. Best wishes to her in whatever she does. I hope people can figure some things out - and soon. Most of what's really important in life extends far beyond the hockey rink.

HeyHeyPK
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:57 am

Re: Tis the Transfer season...

Post by HeyHeyPK » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:05 pm

On the CDH Goalie, bullying was not the issue. She lost her hockey passion when her older sister went to college. That is the report from people that know her from the CDH program and the SIbley youth program.

massalsa
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Re: Tis the Transfer season...

Post by massalsa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Heard more of the HeyHey type comments from people I know that know/played with her over the years and also my kid. Had some different priorities and did not participate in many summer hockey opportunities from STP to OS stuff. She was THE goalie for that 01 MachineOS team for many years but may have lost some interest when birth year became less important than graduating year. The 19 class has/had a bunch of great goalies from Frank to Bizal to Harnett to Stoterau to Pahl and several others...

Post Reply