Tis the Transfer season...

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

massalsa

who showed up where?

Post by massalsa »

I imagine that since school started in the bubble (Edina) a week ago that the Blue to Green has happened. No longer a rumor if someone that played somewhere else is now enrolled at a different school and team.

So...Edina's potential new player is?

And...Benilde's new player or the player that left there for elsewhere is?
blondegirlsdad

Re: who showed up where?

Post by blondegirlsdad »

massalsa wrote:So...Edina's potential new player is?
Staying at Minnetonka and when I heard that rumor it never made sense that she'd leave...
massalsa wrote:And...Benilde's new player or the player that left there for elsewhere is?
Gone, and we're moving on. :) Have I ever mentioned the benefits of a great Private School education?
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Well, a nice bit of anticlimactic rumor to whet everyone's appetites for the upcoming season.
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

Tigers33 wrote:Can't tonka develop their own players anymore?
I know that is a bit of a trolling question but it does hit on the sad part of this a bit, in truth they do develope players very well. You can see it in the youth results as well as high end players you see in the USA selects. No one really feels bad and no one should for the 1st line player who will go to second line when a player moves in. What is sad that as you go down the line the last cut would have made the team. That last cut is not a known player it is probably and upper classmen who is not a star but they most likley stuck with the program from elementary school. At a school with a big deep program they are already skating juniors or seniors on JV that would be 2nd or 3rd line at many places. If we want to talk about school/civic pride as what sets our system apart from the rest of the country you at least have to think a little about the kids who spent alot of years in a program and then move from 9th forward to 10th.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

If memory serves me correctly, Tonka has lost many more quality players to the private schools than they have ever gained from transfers. To echo RoyalsDad, I think Tonka has done a decent job over the past 10 years, based on numerous state championships at youth and HS levels as well as many national players and D1 (and D3) players.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

word on street; Duluth lost a sophomore to Proctor/Hermantown....but older sibling still enrolled @ Duluth East and plays hockey????

Interesting
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

My guess would be no...Tonka is very well known for having a incompetent coaching staff that struggles to develop talent like other programs have. Perhaps we could recruit someone (maybe tigers33) to get our deadbeat coaches out of here and actually bring somebody in that knows hockey. Perhaps then they could start winning, producing D1 hockey players, Team USA players and even get a girl or two to National camp at the you level.

Maybe Tigers could "PM" me and I could grab my notebook and head over to his youth level practices, take a few notes and I could present it to the youth coaches over here and get them up to speed(remind me of the association?)

I do see a plethora of Tonka kids all over the twin cities in private schools, Breck, Blake, BSM, Thourobreds, etc. Yet to my knowledge...Per MSHSL definitions of a "transfer".
17. Transfer Student. A Transfer Student. transfer student is one who discontinues enrollment and attendance in any high school, public
or non-public, located in a public school district attendance area and enrolls and attends classes in any high school in
Minnesota, or outside of MN.
I don't believe Tonka has ever had a high school player transfer in and play.
U10Father

Post by U10Father »

Until this year.
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

sinbin wrote:If memory serves me correctly, Tonka has lost many more quality players to the private schools than they have ever gained from transfers.
If anything I think Tonka was the closest to an all from the youth program succes story that I know of recently, that made the run kind of hard to root against (as painful as it was). Stillwater, EP, Roseville all great programs but I think also with some high profile move ins when they won. I think in recent history it has been more Edina and Wayzata from the lake conference who lost the most from transfers out to privates, imagine the run Wayzata could have made with some of the kids who left there. EP and Hopkins both had years with transfers in, although not so much of late . I think Julie Friend in goal and the one forward (without a huge impact) that was from Holy Angels are the only Tonka move ins not on the current roster that I recall.
Last edited by royals dad on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

U10Father wrote:Until this year.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

36Guy wrote:
Yet to my knowledge...Per MSHSL definitions of a "transfer".
17. Transfer Student. A Transfer Student. transfer student is one who discontinues enrollment and attendance in any high school, public or non-public, located in a public school district attendance area and enrolls and attends classes in any high school in
Minnesota, or outside of MN.
I don't believe Tonka has ever had a high school player transfer in and play.
Although my brain may be old and feeble, I, too, believe that is the case, 36. I believe that anyone who moved to Tonka (and there are very few of them) did so prior to HS, so none of them are HS transfers. For those keeping score, it's probably about 15 out, 3 in. So Tonka youth hockey has done a fine job or developing players for the B's and other HS's in addition to MHS.

Royals, yes Friend was a great move-in for Tonka, but that was a logical move in light of the prospect of her playing behind Billadeau for a large portion of (or all of?) her HS career. It seems that there is one other move-in D1 player on the current Tonka roster that is pretty decent, too. :wink:
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Pretty decent. Now there is a glowing compliment! I'd side with 36 and say she would be going d1 from any school she had landed. Can't give Tonka all the credit...
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Pretty decent. Now there is a glowing compliment! I'd side with 36 and say she would be going d1 from any school she had landed. Can't give Tonka all the credit...
Agreed, hence the wink. In general, the lion's share of the credit must go to the girls and their families, based some on the opportunities they are afforded and their God-given talent, but in the end it comes down to how hard the girls work for it, no matter where they are.
UpNorthMom

Post by UpNorthMom »

Last edited by UpNorthMom on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Too bad Mom, I'm sorry for your program. The Pied Peterson of Cheaterville strikes again. Why a kid would want to abandon their friends, family, history, etc. for a shot at playing at a on-line "high-school" is beyond me. If she is good, she could have gotten just as much notice from coaches if she had stayed and played some decent summer hockey. Roseau has an excellent reputation. More parents huffing the fumes being expelled by the whackos.
CoyoteWheels

There, there peppy

Post by CoyoteWheels »

pepperpot wrote:Too bad Mom, I'm sorry for your program. The Pied Peterson of Cheaterville strikes again. Why a kid would want to abandon their friends, family, history, etc. for a shot at playing at a on-line "high-school" is beyond me. If she is good, she could have gotten just as much notice from coaches if she had stayed and played some decent summer hockey. Roseau has an excellent reputation. More parents huffing the fumes being expelled by the whackos.
Peppy,

Did someone forget to take their meds again? Whenever I see one of your posts it seems like the world kicked your but and all you can do is complain. Get a grip man!

Can't we all just love one another:)
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

pepperpot wrote:Too bad Mom, I'm sorry for your program. The Pied Peterson of Cheaterville strikes again. Why a kid would want to abandon their friends, family, history, etc. for a shot at playing at a on-line "high-school" is beyond me. If she is good, she could have gotten just as much notice from coaches if she had stayed and played some decent summer hockey. Roseau has an excellent reputation. More parents huffing the fumes being expelled by the whackos.
If she makes it to the pros she won't need an education.
CoyoteWheels

Post by CoyoteWheels »

Froggy Richards wrote:
Kermit,

You must have some first hand knowledge of their curriculum? If not your statement above makes you look a bit sesame streetish:)
Check with Bert and Ernie and get back to us with some facts!

Can't we all just love one another:)
UpNorthMom

Post by UpNorthMom »

Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

Froggy Richards wrote:
And avoids injury. That's always the Wild Card.
mnhockeyguy2014

Post by mnhockeyguy2014 »

zambonidriver wrote:Marty, here is my reasoning behind this. I teach in St. Paul at a school that had a proud hockey tradition we don't have hockey anymore or a youth association. Demographics are a part of the reason but the other is affordability to play. If the cost to play hockey were affordable for all you would have the numbers. Then the transfer problem would be moot. It is all about the numbers the more kids that play the sport the more talented kids are on each team. I grew up in a town with only one school so it didn't matter. The city ran the hockey program and the hockey associations to was to support
the program. IE buy Jerseys arrange buses buy equipment etc. Organize the building of the Arenas. The park department hired and paid the coaches, paid the refs and took care of the icetime still does. The fees are still very reasonable. A couple hundred dollars. I pay around 2,000 for my daughters fees. I am lucky that I have the means to do so. There are a lot of families that don't. So as hockey becomes more and more a rich man's game you are going to see more and more movement as parents want to see a return on their investment. If I had a dollar for all the times I have heard "my kid better play after all of the money I have spent" I could start my own association.
](*,) WOW!
mnhockeyguy2014

Post by mnhockeyguy2014 »

If you want to see a Wacko huffing fumes look in the mirror!! What is your beef with CP? He has helped many girls reach their dream! Your only connection to girls hockey is your niece at Cloquet and you spew venum on CP like he hurt you personally in some way! GET SOME COUNSELING OR A HUG SOON!!
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

Thought maybe it would liven up the board in a slow summer to bring a transfer thread to the top. It's about that time of the year when we will find out some of the changes that have taken place since last season. Not sure it fits the transfer thread as most families move now, and don't transfer. Hearing lots of rumblings of a number of moves especially at one position, could be an interesting next few weeks.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

allhoc11 wrote:Thought maybe it would liven up the board in a slow summer to bring a transfer thread to the top. It's about that time of the year when we will find out some of the changes that have taken place since last season. Not sure it fits the transfer thread as most families move now, and don't transfer. Hearing lots of rumblings of a number of moves especially at one position, could be an interesting next few weeks.
"Move." I think you just mean "short term change of address."
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Huge addition in FL. She will be top player on the team