Andover Goalie MR trying out for the boys team?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

wolfman
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Post by wolfman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Let me start by saying I think girls should play on girl teams if they have them. This young lady is in a tough spot. She will see a ton of pucks on the girls team and (Andover is not going to as good as last year) maybe that won't look good to her college coaches. Now if she plays with the boys and gets scored on it won't look so bad. I hope she ends up playing with the girls. She can play with the best of them and I wish her luck whatever way she goes. She could also end up playing J-Gold if the boys HS coach cuts her. Girls should play with girls when it's possible IMO.

gopher25
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 12:44 pm

Post by gopher25 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:26 pm

Ive always wondered what would happen if a boy tried out for a girls team, how would that go over? You don't see girls tryout for boys basketball teams…ect. Clearly this player should do whatever she and her parents feel is the right thing to do. HOwever, I think in the overall picture if girls want to be treated as equals you can't have your cake and eat it too….

allhoc11
Posts: 463
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:12 pm

Post by allhoc11 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:30 pm

gopher25 wrote:Ive always wondered what would happen if a boy tried out for a girls team, how would that go over? You don't see girls tryout for boys basketball teams…ect. Clearly this player should do whatever she and her parents feel is the right thing to do. HOwever, I think in the overall picture if girls want to be treated as equals you can't have your cake and eat it too….
What is the point of having cake if you can't eat it?

Rocketwrister
Posts: 694
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:45 am

Post by Rocketwrister » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:22 pm

gopher25 wrote:Ive always wondered what would happen if a boy tried out for a girls team, how would that go over? You don't see girls tryout for boys basketball teams…ect. Clearly this player should do whatever she and her parents feel is the right thing to do. HOwever, I think in the overall picture if girls want to be treated as equals you can't have your cake and eat it too….
As said previously boys can't try out for girls teams

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 7076
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:33 pm

Rocketwrister wrote:As said previously boys can't try out for girls teams
Realistically if they could girls' sports as we now know them would disappear. End of discussion.

Nevertoomuchhockey
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:01 am

Why even say that.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 7076
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:19 am

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Why even say that.
Because it's true.

luckyEPDad
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:31 pm

Post by luckyEPDad » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:37 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:As said previously boys can't try out for girls teams
Realistically if they could girls' sports as we now know them would disappear. End of discussion.
So you're saying that if things were different they wouldn't be the same? Wow, that is deep. My mind is blown. BOOM!

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 7076
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:58 pm

luckyEPDad wrote:So you're saying that if things were different they wouldn't be the same? Wow, that is deep. My mind is blown. BOOM!
If you have a better explanation why girls can try out for boys' teams but the reverse is not permitted, by all means go ahead and post away.

the_juiceman
Posts: 369
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:17 am

Post by the_juiceman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:46 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:To those who are agree and those who are outraged -
The only thing we absolutely know about this situation is she didn't seek it out. IMHO she was put in a difficult position where no matter what she decided someone would find fault in it. The ultimate rock and hard place for a great kid in a great program.
difficult situation? all she had to say was no thanks. Stay with your friends and teammates. It will only create more issues and drama. What is she hoping to accomplish? if she's that good, she should have plenty of post HS opportunities.

Nevertoomuchhockey
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:47 am

I think what she is trying to accomplish (what all of our young athletes are trying to accomplish) is the best development available. I'm sure the D1 school she is ALREADY committed to and her hope to be successful at the next level had something to do with her choice. Top talent leaves the boys side in ever increasing numbers their senior year for the same reason - actual or perceived greater development and a push from their future college programs. So now a talented girl leaves her high school team as a senior (with the combined influence of her college and the boys' coaches) and you dismiss her and the nuances of the situation.
Get back in the kitchen honey. Run along and play with your little girlfriends. Juiceman is uncomfortable.
Sad.

BluehawkHockey
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:48 am

Post by BluehawkHockey » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:49 am

the_juiceman wrote:
difficult situation? all she had to say was no thanks. Stay with your friends and teammates. It will only create more issues and drama. What is she hoping to accomplish? if she's that good, she should have plenty of post HS opportunities.
I've seen her play a few times and she absolutely is good enough to be a good goalie on a Boys HS team. Because of the checking and the usual size differences between boys and girls skaters, it isn't likely we would see many girls on HS teams as skaters. Goalie is a little different and probably more conducive to this.

Let's face it. In most youth associations, the girls teams and their development is considered a distraction from the boys program. It is seen more as a social activity than a serious sport by both the boards and sadly by the parents and the girls. The girls who want to seriously compete will find a way to get good competition and development just as she is.

hockey21
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:24 pm

Post by hockey21 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:55 am

Great take in that boys leave to play (in other leagues to better themselves as hockey players) that really is all MR is doing improving her skills in a different league. Great take that should really end the discussion on this topic she is going to another league to better herself (just like in the HS boys programs)

Pens4
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:45 am

Post by Pens4 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:06 pm

hockey21 wrote:Great take in that boys leave to play (in other leagues to better themselves as hockey players) that really is all MR is doing improving her skills in a different league. Great take that should really end the discussion on this topic she is going to another league to better herself (just like in the HS boys programs)
The ideal to better yourself is great, but at what point do you decide that this is the year to be the player that the team can lean on. At some point it needs to be team first....that should be the end of the discussion.

hockey21
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:24 pm

Post by hockey21 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:11 pm

She is not on the girls team anymore she is on the boys so she is putting the team first, her new team. No boy who has left was thinking team first they were thinking about their development no different than this. Good luck to her, she is just looking out for herself like so many boys before her. Andover girls coaches will have to find away to win without her this season.

Pens4
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:45 am

Post by Pens4 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:42 pm

hockey21 wrote:She is not on the girls team anymore she is on the boys so she is putting the team first, her new team. No boy who has left was thinking team first they were thinking about their development no different than this. Good luck to her, she is just looking out for herself like so many boys before her. Andover girls coaches will have to find away to win without her this season.
At what point does the switch flip for team first. If it hadn't happen now, it won't come tomorrow. Show me a guy who doesn't think team first and I'll show you a short career. Want some examples?

BluehawkHockey
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:48 am

Post by BluehawkHockey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:20 am

Pens4 wrote: At what point does the switch flip for team first. If it hadn't happen now, it won't come tomorrow. Show me a guy who doesn't think team first and I'll show you a short career. Want some examples?
She isn't on a team currently. Once she is on a team, then that team should come first. She should only be team first during that season. If not, then she would have had to just let all the dads put her where they wanted her to play in youth hockey. She wouldn't have spent countless hours working in the off season to develop her skills. She wouldn't have played youth boys hockey. And in all likelihood, she wouldn't be going to UMD next year to play D1 hockey.

I'm guessing, but instead, she spent countless hours in the off season developing her skills and working hard to make the boys youth teams. Oh, by the way, she helped her teams during all those seasons to win. Keeping them in games, shutting teams out and making incredible saves. All to benefit the team she was on. You could even probably say that she had abandoned her team by playing 2 years of HS Girls hockey.

She was the Bantam A goalie for 2 years so she is going back to the team she belongs on and maybe should have never left. So maybe she is putting team first.

Nevertoomuchhockey
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:38 am

=D>

Great post.
Maybe that state tournament experience and all-tourney team selection with the girls team last winter will help get the boys to the x this time around.

Tenoverpar
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:40 pm

f

Post by Tenoverpar » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:18 am

If this young lady is going to UMD to play D1 womans hockey...then by all means, let her develop as the boys team goalie...why not, if she can play she can play and deserves the support of all involved (minus the boy who is getting cut and playing Junior Gold)

Bulldog3489
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:52 pm

Post by Bulldog3489 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:32 am

There have been a handful of girls that have played goalie for Minnesota boys varsity teams.

drop the puck
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:12 am

Post by drop the puck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:26 pm

Then is she selling her "potential" short by going to UMD to play D1 womens hockey ?

Her '14-'15 Boy's HS team would likely beat her future college team. Unless the goalie a year from now stood on her head. :wink:

ilovemesomehockey
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:06 am

Post by ilovemesomehockey » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:07 pm

I saw her play in Bantams - she was definitely up to the challenge. Wonder how she will do with the increased physical play of much larger kids, now. I would be more concerned she is putting herself at risk of injury - why risk a college scholarship if it's already in the bag?

Coachk
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:27 pm

Post by Coachk » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:23 pm

As a Dad of a daughter that played boys all the way up including Bantams, went to Culver Academy to play Girls hockey, then played one season of Junior Gold A. She always said she like the harder shots from the boys and took sometime to adjust to the girls shots.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 7076
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:42 pm

ilovemesomehockey wrote:I saw her play in Bantams - she was definitely up to the challenge. Wonder how she will do with the increased physical play of much larger kids, now.
Maddie had a real nice game earlier today, holding perennial boys power Duluth East to two goals while making 41 saves. The game ended in a 2-2 tie.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/game/show/79 ... er=1322934

I also see in the game before, against Spring Lake Park, she only played 30 minutes but stopped all 23 shots she faced in helping her team to a 5-3 comeback win.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/game/show/79 ... er=1322934

RailingWizardofOZ
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Post by RailingWizardofOZ » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:11 am

MNHockeyFan wrote:
ilovemesomehockey wrote:I saw her play in Bantams - she was definitely up to the challenge. Wonder how she will do with the increased physical play of much larger kids, now.
Maddie had a real nice game earlier today, holding perennial boys power Duluth East to two goals while making 41 saves. The game ended in a 2-2 tie.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/game/show/79 ... er=1322934

I also see in the game before, against Spring Lake Park, she only played 30 minutes but stopped all 23 shots she faced in helping her team to a 5-3 comeback win.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/game/show/79 ... er=1322934
Thankfully we have the girls forum so she and the girls game can get the recognition it won't receive on the boys furum.

Post Reply