LPH Rankings 2014/2015

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:18 am

sinbin wrote:Interesting that MG is stealing a few first place votes from EP despite EP still undefeated (as is MG). EP has more ties than MG (3 to 1 margin), so maybe that's swaying a few voters.
I don't recall the Crimson ever being ranked as high as No. 2:?: They play No. 7 Wayzata this evening, and EP takes on No. 3 Tonka on Saturday. So if things go the Crimson's way they just might persuade a few more voters to move them up another notch and take over the No. 1 spot. If both teams win and EP hangs on to No. 1, MG will get two more big chances to prove themselves next week when they face Tonka and Hill-Murray back-to-back. Meanwhile, there are no soft spots left on EP's remaining schedule, so you can expect they'll be tested the rest of the way until their first section playoff game.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:11 am

Here's this week's the Top 25 Class AA KRACH rankings vs LPH, the QRF and MYHockey Rankings:
KR LP QR MR
1 1 1 2 Eden Prairie (15-0-3)
2 2 2 3 Maple Grove (15-0-1)
3 3 3 1 Minnetonka (13-4)
4 5 11 7 Roseau (14-2-2)
5 7 4 8 Wayzata (10-4-3)
6 6 6 4 Edina (11-6-1)
7 4 9 5 Hill-Murray (10-4)
8 11 12 10 Cretin-Derham Hall (12-3-3)
9 12 17 13 Chaska/Chanhassen (10-5-1)
10 9 5 6 Lakeville South (12-3-1)
11 8 7 9 Dodge County (12-3)
12 10 10 12 Lakeville North (12-4-1)
13 13 7 11 Elk River (13-3-1)
14 15 13 19 Mounds View (8-4-1)
15 19 21 18 Rochester JM (13-1-2)
16 14 19 16 Hopkins (10-7-1)
17 17 15 17 Blaine (12-5)
18 --- 14 15 Centennial (10-6-1)
19 16 16 14 Stillwater Area (9-7-1)
20 18 25 22 Buffalo (11-6)
21 --- 20 21 Eagan (10-7-1)
22 --- 24 20 Roseville (9-5-4)
23 --- 18 27 Hastings (12-3-1)
24 --- 22 31 Bloomington Jefferson (9-8.)
25 20 35 23 Benilde-St. Margaret's (7-9-2)

The Bone

Post by The Bone » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:18 pm

Nice work Lace'emUp!
Many thanks

puckdaddy99

Maple Grove vs Tonka

Post by puckdaddy99 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:46 pm

It will be interesting to see how Tonka fares vs Maple Grove and EP again. The teams that are physical with Tonka appear to throw them off their game and their forwards are not able to navigate through the traffic and get shots off.

It will be a good test for Maple Grove and see if the can capture the top region seed.

GO CRIMSON!

allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:06 pm

sinbin wrote:Interesting that MG is stealing a few first place votes from EP despite EP still undefeated (as is MG). EP has more ties than MG (3 to 1 margin), so maybe that's swaying a few voters.
I'm a bit surprised by that, if you take a closer look at both teams schedules it appears that EP has a higher goal differential against common opponents (+11), not counting Wayzata game which is yet to post final on the Hub. In addition EP has 6 wins against top 10 teams (Krach) MG has 1, EP 2 wins against top 10 A teams, MG has 1. IMO EP has played a much more difficult schedule, and MG needs some big wins against Tonka and Hill not just beating the Trojans without Shaver to overtake the top spot.

36Guy

Re: Maple Grove vs Tonka

Post by 36Guy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:04 am

puckdaddy99 wrote:It will be interesting to see how Tonka fares vs Maple Grove and EP again. The teams that are physical with Tonka appear to throw them off their game and their forwards are not able to navigate through the traffic and get shots off.

It will be a good test for Maple Grove and see if the can capture the top region seed.

GO CRIMSON!
What team and what games did you draw this conclusion from? While Tonka like many have several weaknesses, being strong on the puck is not one of them, neither is size...Klein, Bigham, Hoelscher, Johnson and Rice are not small kids. Not badmouthing your take, but I am very critical and don't see your take, please elaborate?

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:20 pm

36Guy wrote:
puckdaddy99 wrote:It will be interesting to see how Tonka fares vs Maple Grove and EP again. The teams that are physical with Tonka appear to throw them off their game and their forwards are not able to navigate through the traffic and get shots off.

GO CRIMSON!
What team and what games did you draw this conclusion from? While Tonka like many have several weaknesses, being strong on the puck is not one of them, neither is size...Klein, Bigham, Hoelscher, Johnson and Rice are not small kids. Not badmouthing your take, but I am very critical and don't see your take, please elaborate?

I saw the 3rd period of Hopkins vs Tonka this past Tuesday. Tonka looked reasonably strong to me. Just as strong as Edina and EP. The 3rd period was in Tonka's favor and they definitely played the body more than Hip Hopkins. While both teams were missing arguably their highest end player I think that Grace Bizal is more of an impact player for her team than Norby. Bizal is the glue and the gas for Hopkins. In every aspect of the game.

One of the flaws in these ratings is looking at raw data (scores) and not looking at what significant players may have been hurt, sick, or out for another reason.

Would Edina have lost to Maple Grove in Edina tourney if they had their best D playing for them? Possibly.

Did Edina miss future Gopher Williamson when she was out a couple of games in early December? She probably could have helped by scoring a few more goals.

All of these things would change parts of the rankings.

Bizal of Hopkins, Bowlby of Edina, Shaver of Wayzata, Norby of Tonka, Kenzie Prater and Mackenzie Steffen of Hill Murray, Snodgrass of Eastview, and Voight of Cretin are all playing in U18 World Championships. Happens every year with 5-8 girls every year.

I am guessing that Grace Bizal means more to Hopkins than many of the other girls that missed games due to playing in the U18 World Championships. The gap from #1 D to #5 or 6 is VERY significant on a 2 line team like Hopkins. The #1 D to #5/6/7 on Edina is different with the depth of the Hornets. Bizal missed a 6-0 loss to Breck, an Irondale win, and a 5-3 loss to Edina in the holiday tourney. She is averaging over a goal a game and probably saves more than that. Especially against better teams. The Krach overall ranking of those 4 games are 9, 41, 8, and 5. Just one example...each of those 7 teams would probably have done better in their games while their best players (or close to it) were playing in Buffalo.

puckdaddy99

Post by puckdaddy99 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:14 pm

massalsa wrote:
36Guy wrote:

GO CRIMSON!

I saw the 3rd period of Hopkins vs Tonka this past Tuesday. Tonka looked reasonably strong to me. Just as strong as Edina and EP. The 3rd period was in Tonka's favor and they definitely played the body more than Hip Hopkins. While both teams were missing arguably their highest end player I think that Grace Bizal is more of an impact player for her team than Norby. Bizal is the glue and the gas for Hopkins. In every aspect of the game.

One of the flaws in these ratings is looking at raw data (scores) and not looking at what significant players may have been hurt, sick, or out for another reason.

Would Edina have lost to Maple Grove in Edina tourney if they had their best D playing for them? Possibly.

Did Edina miss future Gopher Williamson when she was out a couple of games in early December? She probably could have helped by scoring a few more goals.

Bizal of Hopkins, Bowlby of Edina, Shaver of Wayzata, Norby of Tonka, Kenzie Prater and Mackenzie Steffen of Hill Murray, Snodgrass of Eastview, and Voight of Cretin are all playing in U18 World Championships. Happens every year with 5-8 girls every year.

I am guessing that Grace Bizal means more to Hopkins than many of the other girls that missed games due to playing in the U18 World Championships. The gap from #1 D to #5 or 6 is VERY significant on a 2 line team like Hopkins. The #1 D to #5/6/7 on Edina is different with the depth of the Hornets. Bizal missed a 6-0 loss to Breck, an Irondale win, and a 5-3 loss to Edina in the holiday tourney. She is averaging over a goal a game and probably saves more than that. Especially against better teams. The Krach overall ranking of those 4 games are 9, 41, 8, and 5. Just one example...each of those 7 teams would probably have done better in their games while their best players (or close to it) were playing in Buffalo.

Did I really just read the new promo for Ms Hockey. At the very least please do not make it so obvious :) As for you 36guy, the players you list as big, really - from the third line? I would not call Johnson or Rice big. I think Roseville showed what a trapping, stronger and bigger team can do to a team who prefers to play on the perimeter and not get the dirty goal.

Good luck to all should be a fun stretch of games coming up. GO CRIMSON

36Guy

Post by 36Guy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:56 am

puckdaddy99 wrote:
massalsa wrote:
36Guy wrote:

GO CRIMSON!

Did I really just read the new promo for Ms Hockey. At the very least please do not make it so obvious :) As for you 36guy, the players you list as big, really - from the third line? I would not call Johnson or Rice big. I think Roseville showed what a trapping, stronger and bigger team can do to a team who prefers to play on the perimeter and not get the dirty goal.

Promo for Miss Hockey...you are one of the new wave bloggers the misinterpret everything and your guess work on teams is embarrassing. Massalsa was just noting the impact of missing quality players when people are evaluating wins and losses. Your clueless as to the strength of Bigham and Johnson.

Can't handle Roseville? The game was very lopsided as far as possession and shots. Tonka's goalie had a rough day to say the least, which happens to all young girls once in a while. I am positive if Roseville and Tonka were fortunate enough to make it to state that Vic would be begging to get Tonka again...funny!

Props to Roseville the came in did their job is Tonka's house and took home the victory which is all that matters.

Hopefully with all the amazing success MG has had you can be beating your chest after Sections!!

allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:22 am

massalsa wrote: One of the flaws in these ratings is looking at raw data (scores) and not looking at what significant players may have been hurt, sick, or out for another reason.
I agree with many of your points. While you are correct it doesn't account for teams missing players, this season I would say many teams have played stretches of games without key players. Most teams have had a nasty bug or even the flu run through the locker room, and that never shows up in the box score. So I do think the rankings do reflect a teams depth as some teams are able to handle loosing key players better then some other teams.

Last thought sort of off topic, am I alone in thinking this is the most games the U-18 kids have ever missed? I imagine that this has to be hard on the teams that are missing these players, and they are gone at a pretty critical time in the season. I understand what a great opportunity it is for these players, but it seems the timing is more disruptive this year than in past years.

36Guy

Post by 36Guy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:47 am

allhoc11 wrote:
massalsa wrote: One of the flaws in these ratings is looking at raw data (scores) and not looking at what significant players may have been hurt, sick, or out for another reason.
I agree with many of your points. While you are correct it doesn't account for teams missing players, this season I would say many teams have played stretches of games without key players. Most teams have had a nasty bug or even the flu run through the locker room, and that never shows up in the box score. So I do think the rankings do reflect a teams depth as some teams are able to handle loosing key players better then some other teams.

Last thought sort of off topic, am I alone in thinking this is the most games the U-18 kids have ever missed? I imagine that this has to be hard on the eams that are missing these players, and they are gone at a pretty critical time in the season. I understand what a great opportunity it is for these players, but it seems the timing is more disruptive this year than in past years.
Yes it is more games missed than the past. The world Championships are later than years past. I know Baldwin and Morin only missed 4 games when they went. I know most girls are missing 4-7 games. Most are 5-6 except HM girls. Tonka's is gone for 6 possibly 7 games depending on flight arrival times.

U10Father

Post by U10Father » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:52 am

36Guy wrote:
allhoc11 wrote:

Last thought sort of off topic, am I alone in thinking this is the most games the U-18 kids have ever missed? I imagine that this has to be hard on the eams that are missing these players, and they are gone at a pretty critical time in the season. I understand what a great opportunity it is for these players, but it seems the timing is more disruptive this year than in past years.
Yes it is more games missed than the past. The world Championships are later than years past. I know Baldwin and Morin only missed 4 games when they went. I know most girls are missing 4-7 games. Most are 5-6 except HM girls. Tonka's is gone for 6 possibly 7 games depending on flight arrival times.
Well, I hope you drive fast from the airport, then.

36guy is right. MG is a nice story, but let's see how they do when everyone's back and healthy.

puckdaddy99

Post by puckdaddy99 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:42 pm

36Guy wrote:
puckdaddy99 wrote:
massalsa wrote:
36Guy wrote:

GO CRIMSON!

Promo for Miss Hockey...you are one of the new wave bloggers the misinterpret everything and your guess work on teams is embarrassing. Massalsa was just noting the impact of missing quality players when people are evaluating wins and losses. Your clueless as to the strength of Bigham and Johnson.

Can't handle Roseville? The game was very lopsided as far as possession and shots. Tonka's goalie had a rough day to say the least, which happens to all young girls once in a while. I am positive if Roseville and Tonka were fortunate enough to make it to state that Vic would be begging to get Tonka again...funny!

Props to Roseville the came in did their job is Tonka's house and took home the victory which is all that matters.

Hopefully with all the amazing success MG has had you can be beating your chest after Sections!!
It's funny how you keep mentioning one specific player and it is clear why she is on that team with that last name. Strong? or has the correct last name? Are there older players just as deserving? I am sure there are many girls just as deserving to be on the team, but have the wrong last name. Stop while you are ahead 36guy and I will stop going after a homer like you. I will be happy to see your club next week as well as at sections :) GO CRIMSON!

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:22 pm

This entire conversation is irrationally making me want to cheer against the Crimson.

tinroofrusted

Post by tinroofrusted » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:01 pm

Maple Grove over Totino Grace in OT 3 - 2 yesterday...according to KRACH (since Totino Grace not ranked on last few LPH single A polls and LPH doesn't rank overall nor top 100) #3 vs. #82...hmm...someone might want to take their serving of humble pie..

36Guy

Post by 36Guy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:27 pm

puckdaddy99 wrote:
36Guy wrote:
puckdaddy99 wrote:
massalsa wrote:
36Guy wrote:

GO CRIMSON!

It's funny how you keep mentioning one specific player and it is clear why she is on that team with that last name. Strong? or has the correct last name? Are there older players just as deserving? I am sure there are many girls just as deserving to be on the team, but have the wrong last name. Stop while you are ahead 36guy and I will stop going after a homer like you. I will be happy to see your club next week as well as at sections :) GO CRIMSON!

36Guy

Post by 36Guy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:44 pm

puckdaddy99 wrote:
36Guy wrote:
puckdaddy99 wrote:
massalsa wrote:
36Guy wrote:

GO CRIMSON!

I don't get it, stop or your going to come after me!! 3 posts in I think everyone already understands your character. As far as Johnsons niece, she belongs on the team and Ej is more than fair. She played probably 3 shifts a game last year and that has to be tough to do to your niece.

Beat your Crimson chest...we will all know in a month. If not you can come find me next Thursday.. I would love to say hi! :D :shock: :twisted:

wolfman

Post by wolfman » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:21 pm

The Maple Grove dads all stand together on the glass and move to offensive end after each period. They have a contest who can say the dumbest thing the loudest. They are not as bad as the Anoka dads though. Its very entertaining. And yes I know a few dads are in the stands sitting next to there wives and have nothing to do with the jack wagons.

puckdaddy99

Post by puckdaddy99 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:57 pm

36Guy wrote:
puckdaddy99 wrote:
36Guy wrote:
puckdaddy99 wrote:
massalsa wrote:
36Guy wrote:

GO CRIMSON!

I don't get it, stop or your going to come after me!! 3 posts in I think everyone already understands your character. As far as Johnsons niece, she belongs on the team and Ej is more than fair. She played probably 3 shifts a game last year and that has to be tough to do to your niece.

Beat your Crimson chest...we will all know in a month. If not you can come find me next Thursday.. I would love to say hi! :D :shock: :twisted:
only 5 shots last night - for the 1st period? Outshot 16-5 and 2-1 for the entire game. Your statement about all the big, strong, girls who can get the dirty goal not being an issue and sounding like the the MN Wild trying to pin Roseville's win on your goalie having an off night. From the stats appears she was the only reason the game went to OT last night - And the previous game before only 4 shots in period one vs prior lake. Case closed on your big strong forwards and the perimeter play. You have to be able to get the dirty goal, you can even admit that, I know you can.

36Guy

Post by 36Guy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:02 pm

puckdaddy99 wrote:
36Guy wrote:
puckdaddy99 wrote:
36Guy wrote:
puckdaddy99 wrote:
massalsa wrote:
36Guy wrote:

GO CRIMSON!

only 5 shots last night - for the 1st period? Outshot 16-5 and 2-1 for the entire game. Your statement about all the big, strong, girls who can get the dirty goal not being an issue and sounding like the the MN Wild trying to pin Roseville's win on your goalie having an off night. From the stats appears she was the only reason the game went to OT last night - And the previous game before only 4 shots in period one vs prior lake. Case closed on your big strong forwards and the perimeter play. You have to be able to get the dirty goal, you can even admit that, I know you can.
I wish all that mattered were shots..that is the first game Tonka was outshot in. All with one of there top players gone for 6 games including both EP games.

No predictions here...sections are a bitch and EP is good! I will leave it up to you to plan the Crimson Championship parade... I suggest you start in front of the "Lookout" i was born and raised there.

Peace out..I check out when its the you vs me show and not about hockey!

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:25 pm

=D>

C'mon "right" last name guy! You gotta love it when a guy looks at exactly one night/one game of stats on Hub and he has your team figured out! How many D1 and National team players out of Tonka the last 4 years who are NOT related to you?
Unfortunately every team loses their best player(s) or 4th line player(s) to National team or injury/illness or death in the family or poorly scheduled games vs finals or cheating investigations or any number of unexpected unplanned unavoidable or simply inconveniencing situations. EVERY team. Like 5,000 things on game day, these intangibles may or may not affect the game. Speculate all you like, but be kind new sir.
This brings to mind two young athletes whose teams are missing them for more than a game or season. Let's keep it in perspective.
And save the real antagonism for my kids college puck program is better than yours...

tinroofrusted

Post by tinroofrusted » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm

High School Girls AA
1 EDEN PRAIRIE (8 )
2 Maple Grove (2)
3 Minnetonka
4 Hill-Murray
5 Wayzata
6 Edina
7 Roseau
8 Dodge County
9 Lakeville South
10 Lakeville North
11 Cretin-Derham Hall
12 Chaska/Chanhassen
13 Hopkins
14 Elk River/Zimmerman
15 Mounds View
16 Rochester John Marshall
17 Stillwater Area
18 Centennial
19 Blaine
20 Buffalo

High School Girls A
1 BLAKE (10)
2 Thief River Falls
3 Breck
4 St. Paul United
5 East Grand Forks
6 Warroad
7 Red Wing
8 Proctor/Hermantown
9 Orono
10 New Prague
11 South St. Paul
12 Alexandria
13 Moose Lake Area
14 Hibbing/Chisholm
15 Mound Westonka
16 Princeton
17 Mankato East/Loyola
18 New Ulm
19 Mahtomedi
20 Northfield

tinroofrusted

Post by tinroofrusted » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:12 am

High School Girls AA
1 EDEN PRAIRIE (10)
2 Minnetonka
3 Maple Grove
4 Hill-Murray
5 Wayzata
6 Edina
7 Roseau
8 Lakeville South
9 Lakeville North
10 Cretin-Derham Hall
11 Dodge County
12 Chaska/Chanhassen
13 Elk River/Zimmerman
14 Hopkins
15 Rochester John Marshall
16 Mounds View
17 Centennial
18 Buffalo
19 Stillwater Area
20 Blaine

High School Girls A
1 THIEF RIVER FALLS (8 )
2 Breck (1)
3 Blake (1)
4 St. Paul United
5 Warroad
6 East Grand Forks
7 Red Wing
8 Orono
9 Proctor/Hermantown
10 New Prague
11 Alexandria
12 Moose Lake Area
13 Mound Westonka
14 Hibbing/Chisholm
15 South St. Paul
16 Mankato East/Loyola
17 Princeton
18 Mahtomedi
19 New Ulm
20 Northfield

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:44 am

High School Girls AA

1 EDEN PRAIRIE (10)
2 Minnetonka
3 Maple Grov
4 Hill-Murray
5 Wayzata
6 Edina
7 Roseau
8 Lakeville South
9 Lakeville North
10 Cretin-Derham Hall
11 Dodge County
12 Chaska/Chanhassen
13 Elk River/Zimmerman
14 Hopkins
15 Rochester John Marshall
16 Mounds View
17 Centennial
18 Buffalo
19 Stillwater Area
20 Blaine

High School Girls A
1 THIEF RIVER FALLS (8)
2 Breck (1)
3 Blake (1)
4 St. Paul United
5 Warroad
6 East Grand Forks
7 Red Wing
8 Orono
9 Proctor/Hermantown
10 New Prague
11 Alexandria
12 Moose Lake Area
13 Mound Westonka
14 Hibbing/Chisholm
15 South St. Paul
16 Mankato East/Loyola
17 Princeton
18 Mahtomedi
19 New Ulm
20 Northfield

I'm not sure what the coaches were drinking when they came up with this list. Normally it takes more than your second loss of the season to move from first to third. TRF has yet to win a game against a 2A top 10 opponent. Blake has wins against Hill Murray, Lakeville South, Chaska/Chan and CDH (and Breck).

I should state a disclaimer. I am a Blake fan because my daughter grew up playing with the Carlies. But doing my best to ignore those feelings and trying to see beyond my SW suburb parochialism I still cannot comprehend how TRF deserves the top ranking. They don't have the offense to score against top teams and are kept in those games by their goaltender. Against Minnetonka and Eden Prairie they were outshot 87-43. Though SOG is not a perfect metric it is still an indicator of who has possession during most of the game. Shots in the two games against Roseau were balanced. Other than that, who have they played? Their SOS in the latest KRACH is 45th, mostly because of the 4 games they didn't win. Without those games their SOS is 62nd, just above Hastings.

TRF may be a great team, I've only seen them play once and they didn't impress me much. But say that was an aberration, don't you need some results to be ranked #1? Where are the TRF #1 results?

Jiblet

Post by Jiblet » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:05 pm

I am just happy the voters finally got off the Crimson train and gave the votes back to EP!