Tier 1 ruling surrounding the HS season...different?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I know for a fact 5 FL girls were suspended for skating in a Skate to Ex tryout two weeks ago. Done for the year.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

A few for Irondales as well.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Froggy Richards wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:They can play during high school season,

BUT, the MSHS League has a rule that forbids practice or games with anyone other than their HS team(during 17wk season)...Their eligibility would be forfeit for Varsity competition...

FUNNY, how an exemption exists for a very chosen few who can leave their team, practice and play in an international competition(great if chosen) ,but if anyone else wanted private practice to improve, or do special rehab practice
cannot.
I would have to see that rule to believe that you can't get private practice on the side during High School Season. Are you saying that a goalie can't get private training from a goalie instructor during the season? Can you reference that? I know times change but I played Town Team Baseball during the High School season in the 90's. And that's an actual league and team. Is this a new, special rule for hockey only?
You played town ball during the HS season? We were always made to wait until the HS season was over, Pre 90's. Aren't most goalies getting private coaching from their own goalie coach and in most cases of site of HS team. I'm sure these goalie businesses know the rules and it is legal. Trying out for your summer AAA team during the HS season is for sure off limits, see STE tryouts.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

old goalie85 wrote:I know for a fact 5 FL girls were suspended for skating in a Skate to Ex tryout two weeks ago. Done for the year.
Goalie, Who was advising these kids to go to tryouts during season? Any Varsity players?
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

alcloseshaver wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:They can play during high school season,

BUT, the MSHS League has a rule that forbids practice or games with anyone other than their HS team(during 17wk season)...Their eligibility would be forfeit for Varsity competition...

FUNNY, how an exemption exists for a very chosen few who can leave their team, practice and play in an international competition(great if chosen) ,but if anyone else wanted private practice to improve, or do special rehab practice
cannot.
I would have to see that rule to believe that you can't get private practice on the side during High School Season. Are you saying that a goalie can't get private training from a goalie instructor during the season? Can you reference that? I know times change but I played Town Team Baseball during the High School season in the 90's. And that's an actual league and team. Is this a new, special rule for hockey only?
You played town ball during the HS season? We were always made to wait until the HS season was over, Pre 90's. Aren't most goalies getting private coaching from their own goalie coach and in most cases of site of HS team. I'm sure these goalie businesses know the rules and it is legal. Trying out for your summer AAA team during the HS season is for sure off limits, see STE tryouts.
Yes, several of us High School kids from all over the area played Town ball and High School ball at the same time. The kids who played college had to wait until after their college season was over but High School kids started right away in May when the season started. I always thought that was kind of weird. I know people throw out the word lawsuit a lot on here but this sounds like one that would have some legs. It seems pretty much on point with the MN Made vs. District 6 or whatever district it was lawsuit that MN Made won. Unless, of course, Congress has granted some special anti-trust type exemption to High School sports like they have with Pro Sports.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

All JV. I don't think anyone advised. It was a u16 tryout. Why would they have it ??? Some very unhappy parents. Rule reads plain as day. [no my daughter is not one] Not saying it is T.H. fault it's up to the parents to know the rules. Still that program is not getting good word of mouth around FL.
observer

Post by observer »

Suspended for how long? Is it so they don't make the rest of the team ineligible?

Ouch, someone should have known. Bad for STE to have done that without knowing the rules.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

observer wrote:Suspended for how long? Is it so they don't make the rest of the team ineligible?

Ouch, someone should have known. Bad for STE to have done that without knowing the rules.
2 weeks