Sections!

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Sections!

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:11 pm

Brackets are now up for most sections:

Class A -all but 6A
Class AA - all but 4AA, 5AA & 8AA

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/showsection.asp?actnum=460

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:22 am

P.S. Look for prognosticator contests to follow shortly!

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:52 am

Why is rapids 3 ? FL 4 ?? Should be the other way around in 7AA.

The Bone

Post by The Bone » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:40 am

What do you mean Old goalie?

a) The coaches voted wrong?

b) The brackets are posted incorrectly (don't align with the actual seedlings)?

c) Some other detail is incorrect?
Last edited by The Bone on Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

goaline

Post by goaline » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:54 am

old goalie85 wrote:Why is rapids 3 ? FL 4 ?? Should be the other way around in 7AA.
I see flake beat rapids 3 weeks ago but head-to-head is only one of many criteria. Edina beat EP this last week and is on a roll but was seeded behind Eagles..

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:08 am

I'm just crying because now we would have to go to Elk town and that olympic rink [if we can get past Duluth]. And yes we beat Rapids/Play in a tough conference. The northern vote got us !! :-({|= Should be fun week or more !!!

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:06 pm

goaline wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:Why is rapids 3 ? FL 4 ?? Should be the other way around in 7AA.
I see flake beat rapids 3 weeks ago but head-to-head is only one of many criteria. Edina beat EP this last week and is on a roll but was seeded behind Eagles..
EP struggling at the end of the season, never good.
HM putting it together at the end of the season, we'll see.
Tonka/MG/Wayzata all tough this year and would be worthy section champs.

allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:18 pm

Sparlimb wrote:HM putting it together at the end of the season, we'll see.
Interesting comment, couple questions:

Hill putting it together at the end, which was their most impressive win down the stretch Mahtomedi, Tartan, Hastings, North SP, Int Falls, SSP, BSM? Not exactly a murders row of competition.

Wayzata worthy? They are a solid team but finished 2-5 in their last 7 games. IMO that is struggling down the finish.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:21 pm

allhoc11 wrote:

Hill putting it together at the end, which was their most impressive win down the stretch Mahtomedi, Tartan, Hastings, North SP, Int Falls, SSP, BSM? Not exactly a murders row of competition.

Wayzata worthy? They are a solid team but finished 2-5 in their last 7 games. IMO that is struggling down the finish.
HM's most impressive game was a loss to MG.

Wayzata: Beat Eagan, Beat Tonka, Beat Edina, Beat Cretin, Beat Hopkins, Beat Mounds View. Granted they lost a lot games, but have proven they can beat anyone.

allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:53 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
allhoc11 wrote:

Wayzata: Beat Eagan, Beat Tonka, Beat Edina, Beat Cretin, Beat Hopkins, Beat Mounds View. Granted they lost a lot games, but have proven they can beat anyone.
I guess I found it odd you would point out EP struggled even though they had the toughest last 4 games of any team in the state, I saw the EP/Edina game and EP seemed to dominate the game but had a couple defensive breakdowns late that lead to a loss. Then deemed Wayzata worthy of winning a tougher section even though they finished 2-5. Again Wayzata had a pretty tough schedule as well. Just pointing out the two comments seemed to contradict each other in a way.

I agree Hill should be strong, but with their conference schedule it's tough to tell if they are any better then the team that struggled to beat good teams early in the year.

I don't know what to make of MG as I haven't seen them enough to know, but based on box scores they seem to get outshot by mediocre teams, so their success seems really dependent on their 2 very good goalies. So to say Hill is putting it together based on a loss to MG strikes me as strange as well.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:37 am

allhoc11 wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:
allhoc11 wrote:

I guess I found it odd you would point out EP struggled even though they had the toughest last 4 games of any team in the state, I saw the EP/Edina game and EP seemed to dominate the game but had a couple defensive breakdowns late that lead to a loss. Then deemed Wayzata worthy of winning a tougher section even though they finished 2-5. Again Wayzata had a pretty tough schedule as well. Just pointing out the two comments seemed to contradict each other in a way.

I agree Hill should be strong, but with their conference schedule it's tough to tell if they are any better then the team that struggled to beat good teams early in the year.

I don't know what to make of MG as I haven't seen them enough to know, but based on box scores they seem to get outshot by mediocre teams, so their success seems really dependent on their 2 very good goalies. So to say Hill is putting it together based on a loss to MG strikes me as strange as well.
HM lost several games to very good teams. Every single loss they have was by one goal. They are essentially the same team as last year (very good defensively, very good puck possession and no elite scorers). That leaves them vulnerable in any game from here on out or they could beat everyone again. They dominated the semi-finals against EP last year and only won 1-0. That's what I'm talking about. Anyway, Cretin-Derham Hall will get to have their say in the section and they are not a team to take lightly this year.

EP has shown itself as the top team all year. So they certainly are a favorite to win it all. Late season losses don't necessarily mean much. They obviously will get a real challenge from Edina in their section. If EP makes state, they are a 1 or 2 seed without a doubt.

MG, whom I have only seen once, had a heck of a sophomore goalie. The kind of player that can steal wins all on her own (and she in fact was the major reason they beat HM). I just didn't see enough from the rest of the team to buy their stock when they are in such a tough section. I think they'd have been favorites if they were in the same section as the boys and only needed to get by Centennial and Blaine. Tonka has to be the call at this time, but nothing would surprise me in that section (barring BSM getting white hot).

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:56 am

Sounds like puck luck and/or a hot goalie will determine things. Should be a fun finish.