Edina vs EP

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

luckyEPDad

Edina vs EP

Post by luckyEPDad »

Anyone finding fault with the current section playoff format was not at the Richfield Arena tonight. There we were witness to the finest example of playoff hockey imaginable. A gritty battle between Edina and Eden Prairie to see who would advance to the state tournament. In the end Taylor Williamson netted the winning goal in OT. The Edina fans went nuts, the Eden Prairie fans sat in stunned silence, and the EP players tried to comfort each other, their bodies wracked with sobs.

Some at the arena watched a great game. 55 minutes of hockey played at the highest level of skill and intensity. I witnessed the end of a 12 year journey. I've been watching these girls play since they were six. They exchanged state championships at the youth level. Most seasons ended with a split series. Black and Red vs Green was guaranteed to be a great game. Now for the seniors, and myself, it is over. Though I'd prefer a different outcome I have to admit the evening was magical. A fitting end.

Some think it a tragedy that this game took place in a small Richfield rink. They think the playoffs or sections need to be restructured in some way to provide an opportunity for "the best" teams to advance to the state tournament. How much more tragic would it be if this game didn't happen at all? Playing Hill Murray in the state tournament is great, but it is nothing compared to an Eden Prairie/Edina section final. This game has to happen. It has to happen because it has been happening for 12 years, at small rinks, with few fans. Edina and Eden Prairie meet on a sheet of ice and find out who is best.
goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 »

Well said. Hats off to all the girls.
lrugland

Post by lrugland »

Great post! Most parents forget why our kids play this game. Its not ONLY to make it to the State Tourney but to grow as athletes and individuals. Some of the greatest games are played in small rinks somewhere around the state and only those there can truly appreciate that game.

It's sad to see the season come to an end and I can only imagine what it will be like when my child is a senior. The thing that gets me is watching those seniors get on the bus for the last time.

I love watching great games and Edina vs EP would have been a great one to watch.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

Yes, this was one of the best post of the season. Very well said. I cannot imagine what the highs and lows of 12 years is like, and all those years coming down and to an end in one night. But in a couple/few years, I will. These section final games are arguably better than watching the state tournament. Look all the great games over last couple nights!

As for us folks in section 5AA, we look forward to the battles that will take place between Blaine and Centennial over the next few years. 3 great games this year, and it all came down to the last minute, last night. It will be no different over the next 2 or 3 years since many of these gals are 9th and 10th graders right now. They all know each other. They play spring/summer/fall hockey together, and are friends with each other.

This is what it's all about.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Classy as always luckyEP. Good luck to your daughter at the next level.
GopherFanARM

Post by GopherFanARM »

Lace'emUp wrote:These section final games are arguably better than watching the state tournament.
I think the atmosphere of a packed arena definitely helps the section games. Other than some of the games at Ridder, the state tourney has rarely felt as electric.

I would guess, though, that for the kids on the ice, State has to feel pretty special, no matter how full the building may or may not be.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

GopherFanARM wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:These section final games are arguably better than watching the state tournament.
I think the atmosphere of a packed arena definitely helps the section games. Other than some of the games at Ridder, the state tourney has rarely felt as electric.

I would guess, though, that for the kids on the ice, State has to feel pretty special, no matter how full the building may or may not be.
Even better is to be on tv. I know when my daughter was a senior, it was everything to win that first game and get your name announced on tv...
AAA Dad

Re: Edina vs EP

Post by AAA Dad »

luckyEPDad wrote:55 minutes of hockey played at the highest level of skill and intensity. .
Did you really say and mean that? You really need to get out more...