Girls Hockey Tourney

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

alcloseshaver

Girls Hockey Tourney

Post by alcloseshaver »

Just to be clear, The NCAA women's frozen Four will be held at Ridder Arena and the MSHSL Girls tourney is will held at the Excel Energy Center. Things that make you wonder.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

After attending Blake/Breck and Edina/EP ,
A full house environment is 100x better than playing at Excel.

The mshs league could play the quarter finals at the X , then take championship bracket to Ridder
and leave cons bracket at the X.
Very, very simple.....no fuss and no concern over legal...

IF THE LEAGUE CARED ABOUT THE GIRLS THEY
WOULD HELP MOVE THE SPORT FORWARD

don't hold your breath
u12dad

Post by u12dad »

nu2hockey wrote:After attending Blake/Breck and Edina/EP ,

The mshs league could play the quarter finals at the X , then take championship bracket to Ridder

don't hold your breath
There is one questions you are not asking: Where do the girls want to play?
The resounding answer is at the Xcel center. I have asked many girls who have played in the tourney, not one answers differently. This is not about what the parents think, it is 100% about the girls and the experience that they have. They don't care that the X has 500 people there, it is the place they want to play at.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Who cares where they want to play? They're 40 compared with...
Sparlimb

Re: Girls Hockey Tourney

Post by Sparlimb »

alcloseshaver wrote:Just to be clear, The NCAA women's frozen Four will be held at Ridder Arena and the MSHSL Girls tourney is will held at the Excel Energy Center. Things that make you wonder.
Maybe the question is why is the NCAA frozen four at Ridder? When the Gophers play BC for the title, don't you think they could get 10,000+ to come watch? I sure would.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Ridder is sold out for the event. 10,000 plus might be stretch.
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

u12dad wrote:
nu2hockey wrote:After attending Blake/Breck and Edina/EP ,

don't hold your breath
There is one questions you are not asking: Where do the girls want to play?
The resounding answer is at the Xcel center. I have asked many girls who have played in the tourney, not one answers differently. This is not about what the parents think, it is 100% about the girls and the experience that they have. They don't care that the X has 500 people there, it is the place they want to play at.
My son wanted to play his little league baseball games at the Metrodome but that didn't happen.

My daughter did play in the HS State Tournament at Xcel and said it would be better to play at smaller facility with full house.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

I talked to girls who played in state at both venues back when the switch was made and most favored the x
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Many girls in this state have skated at Ridder, either for practice or scrimmages / games. My daughter had a AAA practice last season at Ridder. Her association buds scrimmaged there this year.

Playing at the X? That's something else.

When I was in high school my basketball team played an annual game at Bradley Center. There were maybe 150 people there. I didn't care because I played in a pro arena, saw the pro locker rooms, saw the boxes of shoes, etc. I think the same applies here.
Ritz727272

Post by Ritz727272 »

jg2112 wrote:Many girls in this state have skated at Ridder, either for practice or scrimmages / games. My daughter had a AAA practice last season at Ridder. Her association buds scrimmaged there this year.

When I was in high school my basketball team played an annual game at Bradley Center. There were maybe 150 people there. I didn't care because I played in a pro arena, saw the pro locker rooms, saw the boxes of shoes, etc. I think the same applies here.
Many girls have played at the "X" as well. Shock Dr. Tourney, etc....Like my daughter tells me, "Ice is Ice"! I'd venture to say that 75-80% of girls would rather play in front of a full, loud, electric arena, regardless of location vs. a 80-90% empty arena.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Ritz727272 wrote:
jg2112 wrote:Many girls in this state have skated at Ridder, either for practice or scrimmages / games. My daughter had a AAA practice last season at Ridder. Her association buds scrimmaged there this year.

Many girls have played at the "X" as well. Shock Dr. Tourney, etc....Like my daughter tells me, "Ice is Ice"! I'd venture to say that 75-80% of girls would rather play in front of a full, loud, electric arena, regardless of location vs. a 80-90% empty arena.
Doesn't matter. Lawsuits happened and they will again if it changes. It's stuck where it is. End of discussion.
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

Does anyone know that percentage statics used in a forum are incorrect 87.4% of the time....

The question that has been asked, and answered, is where would the girls like to play?

We parents can watch and enjoy a hockey game anywhere. Outside of a few players that return over and over again to the state tourney, it sounds like most players enjoy having a go at the cool locker rooms and big view of the where their professional team plays.

We should let them enjoy their time, applaud their effort no matter the outcome, and try to do it again no matter where the games are held.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

A nail-biter at the X, with Buffalo and Edina tied late in the 3rd.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

21 fan buses from Buffalo, might need a bigger venue. I wish there was a different format where we could get the best 8 teams... :shock:
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Edina used a power play goal with 1:41 remaining and a very late EN to win 3-1.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

alcloseshaver wrote:21 fan buses from Buffalo, might need a bigger venue. I wish there was a different format where we could get the best 8 teams... :shock:
Agreed. It sucks when you bring in these communities that are so happy to be there people come out and watch the game. Eastview had an outstanding crowd today with what looked like the entire student body attending.
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

Sparlimb wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:21 fan buses from Buffalo, might need a bigger venue. I wish there was a different format where we could get the best 8 teams... :shock:
Agreed. It sucks when you bring in these communities that are so happy to be there people come out and watch the game. Eastview had an outstanding crowd today with what looked like the entire student body attending.
I agree, I think we should make this model the American Model. We can start by going to every company in our country and taking a mediocre employee and making them CEO, then we will truly be a world power! Don't worry kids don't excel in anything you do, don't work hard to get into a great college, be average take advantage of the system and you too will one day rule the world in the new america!
Otter

Post by Otter »

allhoc11 wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:
I agree, I think we should make this model the American Model. We can start by going to every company in our country and taking a mediocre employee and making them CEO, then we will truly be a world power! Don't worry kids don't excel in anything you do, don't work hard to get into a great college, be average take advantage of the system and you too will one day rule the world in the new america!
That's a completely BS argument--comparing CEOs of corporations to a state tournament. Quit lying you BSer. It's the fat*** Michael Moore style of arguing. BS. Sour grapes that your team can't make it to state?
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

No wonder all the hotels in st paul were booked solid. Hopefully the last person out of town remembered to shut the lights off, they must have left at 4 am to get here by game time from all the way up in section 8 country.

Regardless of the sport student sections travel well for day games in which the AD/Principle release students from school. Hasn't changed since I got out of an afternoon to see state girls basketball 30 years ago, i had not been to a game all year but didn't miss a chance to leave school, cheered loud and had fun but didnt make it back to the night session the next day. Some things never really change.

Buffalo had a good game plan and executed it well, way more parity in AA then A but still I think they blocked more shots then they took so not exactly proof of your argument. Maybe we will get an upset tonight... :shock:
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

allhoc11 wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:
Wow, are you kidding me with that kind of argument.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

royals dad wrote:
No wonder all the hotels in st paul were booked solid. Hopefully the last person out of town remembered to shut the lights off, they must have left at 4 am to get here by game time from all the way up in section 8 country.

Regardless of the sport student sections travel well for day games in which the AD/Principle release students from school. Hasn't changed since I got out of an afternoon to see state girls basketball 30 years ago, i had not been to a game all year but didn't miss a chance to leave school, cheered loud and had fun but didnt make it back to the night session the next day. Some things never really change.

Buffalo had a good game plan and executed it well, way more parity in AA then A but still I think they blocked more shots then they took so not exactly proof of your argument. Maybe we will get an upset tonight... :shock:
That is why this is such a passionate topic. Everyone wants their kid/team to get the opportunity to "go to state" and represent your school and town (for the non-privates.) So what if a certain section has 3 great teams, this is what high school sports has always been about. I'm sure the 8 teams that lost in the section finals were well represented in the stands and thinking about what they need to do to change places with the teams on the ice for next year.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

My daughter, the great compromiser's, solution is to play quarters and semis at Ridder and the Championship at Xcel. To her, the X never got old, even after multiple games and multiple years. It's simply "cool". At the end of the day, though, once you're on the ice, the arena itself is irrelevant. The nets have the same dimensions wherever you play.

In this scenario, everyone would have the chance to play at a packed Ridder and the X could accommodate larger crowds for the Championship game, if warranted. Yes, I understand the lawsuit already took place and brought us down this path. So, all this is moot, but one can still dream.
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

sinbin wrote:My daughter, the great compromiser's, solution is to play quarters and semis at Ridder and the Championship at Xcel. To her, the X never got old, even after multiple games and multiple years. It's simply "cool". At the end of the day, though, once you're on the ice, the arena itself is irrelevant. The nets have the same dimensions wherever you play.

In this scenario, everyone would have the chance to play at a packed Ridder and the X could accommodate larger crowds for the Championship game, if warranted. Yes, I understand the lawsuit already took place and brought us down this path. So, all this is moot, but one can still dream.
Having Darwitz bring it up gives some credibility, hard to argue with someone who has been through it as a player and coach.

With the exception of a few final 4s at Ridder and a handful of D1 and international games, very few girls or womens hockey players will ever get to play in front of a packed loud arena. It would be nice if state could be like that. Those who do move on to D1 will have plenty of games with cool locker rooms and big empty arenas. Ridder full of dueling bands and student sections would be uniquely Minnesota thing in the female side of the sport. Never will forget walking in to the last championship game at ridder, we got there late had to stand, the place was electric.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

royals dad wrote:Having Darwitz bring it up gives some credibility, hard to argue with someone who has been through it as a player and coach.

With the exception of a few final 4s at Ridder and a handful of D1 and international games, very few girls or womens hockey players will ever get to play in front of a packed loud arena. It would be nice if state could be like that. Those who do move on to D1 will have plenty of games with cool locker rooms and big empty arenas. Ridder full of dueling bands and student sections would be uniquely Minnesota thing in the female side of the sport. Never will forget walking in to the last championship game at ridder, we got there late had to stand, the place was electric.
Totally agree with all your points, royals dad. Darwitz's comments are here: http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_ar ... how/481396
Jiblet

Post by Jiblet »

I am now understanding why the majority of the forum wants the crappy sections to stay the same. It is because the garbage teams that make it to state, like the 3 unseeded this year, bring their whole school to St. Paul to watch. Apparently everyone just wants more fans at the X, not the best teams. Thank you for clarifying some of the delusional minds on the forum.