7AA

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

woody

Re: 2017-18

Post by woody » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:19 pm

goaline wrote:Can Flake be stopped in 7AA, no longer the underdogs of the past two years? Can the Elks make another section final? Is Andover ready to unseat those two? Are Rapids, Cambridge or Princeton able to pull an upset of the favorites?
I don't know! Why don't you ask zambonidriver? #weakestsection #2andoutagain #didnotbelong

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:28 pm

woody wrote:
goaline wrote:Can Flake be stopped in 7AA, no longer the underdogs of the past two years? Can the Elks make another section final? Is Andover ready to unseat those two? Are Rapids, Cambridge or Princeton able to pull an upset of the favorites?
I don't know! Why don't you ask zambonidriver? #weakestsection #2andoutagain #didnotbelong
Calm yourself Woody. Wow.

Rapids will be top 3 team in section, hopefully they can get over that hump and make some noise in the section.

Elk and Andover will be the 2 favorites again. Cambridge, Duluth....nada . I don't see them having any chance in finishing in the top of the section.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:21 pm

Rocketwrister wrote:
woody wrote:
Calm yourself Woody. Wow.

Rapids will be top 3 team in section, hopefully they can get over that hump and make some noise in the section.

Elk and Andover will be the 2 favorites again. Cambridge, Duluth....nada . I don't see them having any chance in finishing in the top of the section.

Rapids has been 3rd seed for at least last 2 years , nothing new there
Andover has been only a 4th seed the last 2 years , hardly a favorite
flake should be favorite, though probably not by much
As for weakest section, depends on how you look at it,but, sec 8AA should get serious consideration

HockeyStorm

Post by HockeyStorm » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:57 pm

My money is on Forest Lake, but it should be competitive this year. Duluth will not contend but will have some quality wins. Grand Rapids doesn't have enough depth on the blue line to be a top 4 team this year.
1. F. Lake
2. Elk River
3. Princeton
4. Andover

goaline

Post by goaline » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:54 am

HockeyStorm wrote:My money is on Forest Lake, but it should be competitive this year. Duluth will not contend but will have some quality wins. Grand Rapids doesn't have enough depth on the blue line to be a top 4 team this year.
1. F. Lake
2. Elk River
3. Princeton
4. Andover
But Princeton, with one player, is a top 3 section seed? Andover will be significantly deeper and more skilled than Princeton

7AA has returned to be among the top 4 strongest sections, take a look, I'd go with an order something like this

6AA, 4AA, 7AA or 5AA, 2AA, 1AA, 8AA, 3AA

goaline

Post by goaline » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:55 am

HockeyStorm wrote:My money is on Forest Lake, but it should be competitive this year. Duluth will not contend but will have some quality wins. Grand Rapids doesn't have enough depth on the blue line to be a top 4 team this year.
1. F. Lake
2. Elk River
3. Princeton
4. Andover
But Princeton, with one player, is a top 3 section seed? Andover will be significantly deeper and more skilled than Princeton

7AA has returned to be among the top 4 strongest sections, take a look, I'd go with an order something like this

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:33 pm

2AA as the fifth toughest conference, really?

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:51 pm

goaline wrote:
1. F. Lake
2. Elk River
3. Princeton
4. Andover

You can say that again...

goaline

Post by goaline » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:50 pm

goaliedad31 wrote:2AA as the fifth toughest conference, really?
This year? Yes... EP/ Tonka and nothing notable after -- neither of the top 2 will be a top 10 team in AA

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:00 pm

I think there are 2 ways in which to rank SECTIONS.

You can rank them by looking at the cumulative rankings for every team in the SECTION or,,,,

I think a BETTER way is to look at the cumulative ranking of the TOP 4 teams in each SECTION..to get a sense of how difficult each section is to get through the semis and the finals.

Last year,at the end of the year, using the KRACH rankings:

Using every team ranking and averaging to compensate for different # of teams in each SEC: (first to last)...5,2,4 & 7(tie),1,8,3,6

Using the top 4 teams...5,2,7,6,4 & 8(tie),1,3

This year it appears that 6 & 5 will be the strongest Sections...followed by 7
& 4,

sec 2 appears weaker overall, but, it's top 4 teams look significantly better than any four teams that sec 1,8, or 3 can produce..That's not to say that teams such as Roseau,Farmington,Lkvl N,B/LF,or Eagan can't do well

goaline

Post by goaline » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:55 pm

nu2hockey wrote:I think there are 2 ways in which to rank SECTIONS.

You can rank them by looking at the cumulative rankings for every team in the SECTION or,,,,

I think a BETTER way is to look at the cumulative ranking of the TOP 4 teams in each SECTION..to get a sense of how difficult each section is to get through the semis and the finals.

Last year,at the end of the year, using the KRACH rankings:

Using every team ranking and averaging to compensate for different # of teams in each SEC: (first to last)...5,2,4 & 7(tie),1,8,3,6

Using the top 4 teams...5,2,7,6,4 & 8(tie),1,3

This year it appears that 6 & 5 will be the strongest Sections...followed by 7
& 4,

sec 2 appears weaker overall, but, it's top 4 teams look significantly better than any four teams that sec 1,8, or 3 can produce..That's not to say that teams such as Roseau,Farmington,Lkvl N,B/LF,or Eagan can't do well
nice analysis, well reasoned

HockeyStorm

Initial Rankings

Post by HockeyStorm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:21 pm

7AA has 3 teams in top 20

5. FLAKE
14. Elk River
16. Princeton

j4241

Post by j4241 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:33 pm

Forest Lake v Blake in a scrimmage on Tuesday Nov 7 should be another great night of girls hockey... good test for both!

goaline

Re: Initial Rankings

Post by goaline » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:04 pm

HockeyStorm wrote:7AA has 3 teams in top 20

5. FLAKE
14. Elk River
16. Princeton
The real rankings come out next week -- unless you believe Rogers is the number 9 team in the state

massalsa

Re: Initial Rankings

Post by massalsa » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:22 pm

HockeyStorm wrote:7AA has 3 teams in top 20

5. FLAKE
14. Elk River
16. Princeton
I will take any unranked Lake Conference school except Hopkins against Princeton.

HockeyStorm

Post by HockeyStorm » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:36 am

I think at the 1/4 pull the top 2 teams remain the same but move Andover to 3 and St. Francis is the 4. Cambridge has had a good start as well.

1. Forest Lake
2. Elk River
3. Andover
4. St Francis
5. Cambridge

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:18 am

HockeyStorm wrote:I think at the 1/4 pull the top 2 teams remain the same but move Andover to 3 and St. Francis is the 4. Cambridge has had a good start as well.

1. Forest Lake
2. Elk River
3. Andover
4. St Francis
5. Cambridge
St Francis and Cambridge ahead of Grand Rapids?

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:39 am

Rocketwrister wrote:
HockeyStorm wrote:I think at the 1/4 pull the top 2 teams remain the same but move Andover to 3 and St. Francis is the 4. Cambridge has had a good start as well.

1. Forest Lake
2. Elk River
3. Andover
4. St Francis
5. Cambridge
St Francis and Cambridge ahead of Grand Rapids?
Ummm, no. Until Cambridge/Isanti or SF beats GR, GR has that 4th spot. CI and GR play Friday.

goaline

Post by goaline » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Andover the team to beat in 7AA, young and getting better — Flake and Andover tilt this Thurs... GRG hangs around with Edina, St Francis back to reality. 7AA is for real

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Anybody see the GRG game vs Edina care to comment on it? I know that it was in GR.

Andover has 1 quality win and they have played 4 top 15 teams. We will see once they play FLAKE, Blaine (again), and Blake. Not doubting that they are on the rise but going 2/3 in those games will be legit.

St Francis and Cambridge are not top 20 teams...

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:57 pm

massalsa wrote:Anybody see the GRG game vs Edina care to comment on it? I know that it was in GR.

Andover has 1 quality win and they have played 4 top 15 teams. We will see once they play FLAKE, Blaine (again), and Blake. Not doubting that they are on the rise but going 2/3 in those games will be legit.

I agree that CI is not a top 20 team and find it odd you brought it up as no one made that claim.

I do however know that you know very little about their players and virtually nothing about the team. So for you to put it out there, never taking the time to watch them, is a little disingenuous and makes your opinion less creditable. Before presenting opinions as factual statements, maybe go watch a few teams - well other than Blake and their opponents.

Beside section games, it matters not how a team is playing right now, what matters is how they are playing at the end of January and into February.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:50 pm

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
massalsa wrote:Anybody see the GRG game vs Edina care to comment on it? I know that it was in GR.

I agree that CI is not a top 20 team and find it odd you brought it up as no one made that claim.

I do however know that you know very little about their players and virtually nothing about the team. So for you to put it out there, never taking the time to watch them, is a little disingenuous and makes your opinion less creditable. Before presenting opinions as factual statements, maybe go watch a few teams - well other than Blake and their opponents.

Beside section games, it matters not how a team is playing right now, what matters is how they are playing at the end of January and into February.
Your post makes zero sense. You "agree that CI is not a top 20 team", then post that your are upset that he said Cambridge is not a top 20 team. His comment is one of the most mellow comments in the history of these hockey boards and you get upset about it? :roll:

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:05 pm

zooomx wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:

Your post makes zero sense. You "agree that CI is not a top 20 team", then post that your are upset that he said Cambridge is not a top 20 team. His comment is one of the most mellow comments in the history of these hockey boards and you get upset about it? :roll:
Ha! No, not upset at all. I just didn't see where anyone brought it up, so I thought it odd? What was the point or how did it tie into the thread? You don't think that makes sense?

Then, knowing the person, I thought it odd that he made the statement, knowing that he knows very little about the team. He has zero idea where this team fits, yet he throws it into a thread. If he knew the team and the makeup, well then, I guess his opinion would carry more weight. But knowing he doesn't, just makes his opinion less creditable.

He knows very little about Andover's make up either, only what he is told by his Edina friends:)

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:15 pm

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:

Andover...

I shortened the quotes above as it is a pet peeve of mine when these threads get very long and hard to negotiate. I tried to keep in the parts that pertain to your response to me.

I apologize if I have offended you NORTHWOODS or anyone else. This thread is about 7AA. I do not claim to be an expert on 7AA or ANY team in the section or the state. This includes "Blake and their opponents." There was no ill intent in my statement about St Francis or Cambridge. They are in the section and had been mentioned by HockeyStorm and then were mentioned again by Rocketwrister and Goaline. I was not trying to take a shot at them but were trying to discuss Andover and made a mistake mentioning them at all. Sorry. I wish them both success and good luck in the season and the Section 7AA tourney.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote: I do however know that you know very little about their players and virtually nothing about the team. So for you to put it out there, never taking the time to watch them, is a little disingenuous and makes your opinion less creditable. Before presenting opinions as factual statements, maybe go watch a few teams - well other than Blake and their opponents.
You are absolutely right that I know very little about their players and virtually nothing about the team. All I know about them and about 85-90% of the teams in the state is who they have played and what the score was.

This is a forum or board for opinions and discussions. Hoping that continues to happen.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:52 pm

goaline wrote:Andover the team to beat in 7AA, young and getting better — Flake and Andover tilt this Thurs... GRG hangs around with Edina, St Francis back to reality. 7AA is for real

Andover may be the team to beat in 7AA, however, to date I wouldn't claim 7AA is for real..

They are 1-3 against their supposedly top 4 opponents, the one win against ER/Z, who as of yet hasn't beaten a quality opponent. Flake has 3-one goal wins against decidedly weak opponents(MV,Roseville, &Stillwater). so of the 3 supposedly TOP teams in 7AA, at this time, this section has 0 quality wins outside of 7AA....and yes,I have seen these teams play