7AA

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:02 am

nu2hockey wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:Have seen Forest Lake play quite a bit. Played Rapids in Rapids heard the officiating was beyond bad. Outshot GR by a wide margin. Will see if for real Saturday as they play CDH. Have a strength of Schedule advantage. having played Blake, Breck, SPU, CDH twice Minnetonka, White Bear 3 times Stillwater twice and Moundsview twice. Now getting contributions from the 8th graders, who have been on the score sheet in 8 straight. Really the only team that can roll 3 lines that I have seen.

More accurately, shots were 31 to 30 for GR game. Don't see where you played Blake. White Bear only 2x(ties),Breck(L),SPU(L),CDH(L),Tonka(L),Stillwater(W),MV(W)....but FL's SOS is good.

Not sure there are any quality wins though
Totally dominated CEC which just beat tied Rapids and beat andover beat Andover 5-1 Blake first game of year. Remember not how you start bu how you finish. I'd pt Flake strength of Schedule up against anyones. 1.ERR
2.FLAKE
3. GR
Then crapshoot

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:52 am

Breck was first game

Andover is under .500, CEC would not be a quality win by any stretch of the imagination

Unfortunately, the section is weak...Any team besides ER/Z will be unseeded at state tourney

goaline

Post by goaline » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:22 am

[/quote] Totally dominated CEC which just beat tied Rapids and beat andover beat Andover 5-1 Blake first game of year. Remember not how you start bu how you finish. I'd pt Flake strength of Schedule up against anyones. 1.ERR
2.FLAKE
3. GR
Then crapshoot[/quote]

Zamboni, clearly your skin is the Flake game, its exciting they are a program on the rise and have the best goaltending in the section but they don't play Elks (huge mistake) and lost to Rapids. the last two weeks of the section play do really matter this year, plus who knows how the coaches vote

Better question, where is the talk from other sections? 7AA a passionate fanbase and all the rest would rather talk about Bauer Emerson and make score predictions?

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:48 am

goaline wrote:
Totally dominated CEC which just beat tied Rapids and beat andover beat Andover 5-1 Blake first game of year. Remember not how you start bu how you finish. I'd pt Flake strength of Schedule up against anyones. 1.ERR
2.FLAKE
3. GR
Then crapshoot[/quote]

Zamboni, clearly your skin is the Flake game, its exciting they are a program on the rise and have the best goaltending in the section but they don't play Elks (huge mistake) and lost to Rapids. the last two weeks of the section play do really matter this year, plus who knows how the coaches vote

Better question, where is the talk from other sections? 7AA a passionate fanbase and all the rest would rather talk about Bauer Emerson and make score predictions?[/quote]

It is strange that 7AA is the only section with conversation....

BE Emerson is a dead horse.....the school does not exist anymore as of last Sept...the kids are taking either MN Connections or their state's version of it..

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:41 am

nu2hockey wrote:
goaline wrote:
2.FLAKE
3. GR
Then crapshoot

Better question, where is the talk from other sections? 7AA a passionate fanbase and all the rest would rather talk about Bauer Emerson and make score predictions?[/quote]

It is strange that 7AA is the only section with conversation....

BE Emerson is a dead horse.....the school does not exist anymore as of last Sept...the kids are taking either MN Connections or their state's version of it..[/quote]DO have skin in the game though not till next year is fun to see these girls developing love watching the 8th graders grow. I acknowledge did lose to Rapids but Rapids hasn't helped themseleves with their past couple of weeks. ER?R is definitely the team to beat this year then shifting of the guard between Andover and FLake Though Er will remain strong. Should be a fun next 4 years.

massalsa

no horse in this race but...

Post by massalsa » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:26 am

...not that it matters much but:

Elk River, Stillwater, Blake, & Sartell/Sauk Rapids had preseason scrimmage-fest.

Forest Lake scrimmaged Blake.

All were scrimmages and don't count but may matter to someone in 7AA.

kniven

Re: 7AA

Post by kniven » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:50 pm

kniven wrote:so who is favored on paper this year in 7AA. I have no clue...just trying to get a snapshot of the section this coming winter. im assuming Elk River, Grand Rapids, and Duluth? just like on the boys side...
When are the seeds announced for the section playoffs?

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:31 am

Section final: Flake and ER. Who wins and why?

puckdreams

Post by puckdreams » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:16 am

Elks - Depth

goaline

Mid season report

Post by goaline » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:21 am

Where does 7AA stand at the holiday tournament break?

Elks in drivers seat again

Flake promising

Andover ahead of schedule

GRapids in the mix

Cloquet better than expected

Cambridge has a good line

St Francis competitive

Duluth in shambles

Early seeding predictions?

Rocketwrister

Re: Mid season report

Post by Rocketwrister » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:00 pm

goaline wrote:Where does 7AA stand at the holiday tournament break?

Elks in drivers seat again

Flake promising

Andover ahead of schedule

GRapids in the mix

Cloquet better than expected

Cambridge has a good line

St Francis competitive

Duluth in shambles

Early seeding predictions?
I would agree with most of what you typed out. Elk in driver seat.

Andover right with them

Rapids will be a top seed out of this section. They play a good schedule.

Flake surprising me, they are playing good !

Cloquet young, playing well. They don't play a very tough schedule.

Cambridge and st Fran competitive.

Duluth?? Bring back stafne. Nice job experts

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:34 am

3 team race, Flake, ER and Andover with GR a distant 4th with possibly St. Franny. ER and Flake just played to overtime with ER coming out on top to put themselves in solid position for the 1 seed with 2 games with Andover and 1 with Rapids remaining.

feranged

Post by feranged » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:10 pm

7AA tend to seed more with w/l in the section. Looks like top teams beef up their schedule so they are ready for playoffs and some play soft to boost w/l in hopes of a higher seed. Do well in the section and you do well in seeding.

#1 ER/Z- Best team, plays in NWS vs Centennial, Blaine, Maple Grove, Andover with a few soft teams mixed in- only losses have been to teams ranked above them. Just beat FLAKE 4-3 in OT. Its ER/Z to win- have had heartbreakers the past few seasons- epic collapse vs FLAKE with less than 2 minutes left in 7AA final last year.

#2 FLAKE- Close 2nd- Just lost in OT to ER/Z- plays in SW Suburban with a steady dose of good competition and fills in few extra non-conf games with 7AA opponents. Will be #2 unless ER/Z falls apart or #3 or 4 makes a move. Still play CEC and GRG- If the Andover game is rescheduled it will play heavy into final decision.

#3 and #4 Andover and GRG- these two are in the running for the 3-4 with neither having a win over a significant top opponent as of yet (GRG tied Eastview)- January is where they will settle it in 7AA they have:
Andover beat Duluth
GRG has beaten CEC and Duluth

#5 CEC- Plays 8 games vs 7AA opponents. Lost to GRG twice but have beaten SF and Duluth. Jan 10-20 will be huge for determining where CEC settles-Need to finish with wins vs Cambridge to hold spot, and against Andover and/or FLAKE to move up.

#6 and #7- St. Francis and Cambridge. These two play each other in the home stretch. 2-0 swing gives the edge to one of them. A split will defer to common opponents in 7AA and other teams in conference. Looking at schedule both have 13 non-conference games to schedule but play only 2 and 3 7AA opponents outside of the conference. Both are in close proximity to FLAKE, Andover, and ER/Z. Both are decent young teams and should schedule tougher AA games to get them ready- right now schedule is too much to build wins (happy parents) and not making a run.Just depends on what your goal is. They could be spoilers for a team first round so top teams better strike fast.

#8 Duluth- early struggles in a decent schedule, can they be a spoiler to a few teams and pull out a win vs 7AA GRG, CEC or SF will remain to be seen. Tough situation- hope they can figure it out.

goaline

Post by goaline » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Great analysis - pretty accurate perspectives thus far
feranged wrote:7AA tend to seed more with w/l in the section. Looks like top teams beef up their schedule so they are ready for playoffs and some play soft to boost w/l in hopes of a higher seed. Do well in the section and you do well in seeding.

#1 ER/Z- Best team, plays in NWS vs Centennial, Blaine, Maple Grove, Andover with a few soft teams mixed in- only losses have been to teams ranked above them. Just beat FLAKE 4-3 in OT. Its ER/Z to win- have had heartbreakers the past few seasons- epic collapse vs FLAKE with less than 2 minutes left in 7AA final last year.

#2 FLAKE- Close 2nd- Just lost in OT to ER/Z- plays in SW Suburban with a steady dose of good competition and fills in few extra non-conf games with 7AA opponents. Will be #2 unless ER/Z falls apart or #3 or 4 makes a move. Still play CEC and GRG- If the Andover game is rescheduled it will play heavy into final decision.

#3 and #4 Andover and GRG- these two are in the running for the 3-4 with neither having a win over a significant top opponent as of yet (GRG tied Eastview)- January is where they will settle it in 7AA they have:
Andover beat Duluth
GRG has beaten CEC and Duluth

#5 CEC- Plays 8 games vs 7AA opponents. Lost to GRG twice but have beaten SF and Duluth. Jan 10-20 will be huge for determining where CEC settles-Need to finish with wins vs Cambridge to hold spot, and against Andover and/or FLAKE to move up.

#6 and #7- St. Francis and Cambridge. These two play each other in the home stretch. 2-0 swing gives the edge to one of them. A split will defer to common opponents in 7AA and other teams in conference. Looking at schedule both have 13 non-conference games to schedule but play only 2 and 3 7AA opponents outside of the conference. Both are in close proximity to FLAKE, Andover, and ER/Z. Both are decent young teams and should schedule tougher AA games to get them ready- right now schedule is too much to build wins (happy parents) and not making a run.Just depends on what your goal is. They could be spoilers for a team first round so top teams better strike fast.

#8 Duluth- early struggles in a decent schedule, can they be a spoiler to a few teams and pull out a win vs 7AA GRG, CEC or SF will remain to be seen. Tough situation- hope they can figure it out.

pepperpot

Post by pepperpot » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:24 am

Cloquet is trying hard but isn't going to go anywhere. Our goaltending is up and down and we lack a 1-2 scoring punch like we've had in past years. We really made a mistake by not going to A. Girls numbers are dropping up north and won't get better. Duluth is terrible and could possibly lose their program if they aren't careful. There only win is against a horrible Superior Wisconsin team who doesn't have a full roster. Not good for girls hockey when the biggest city up north has a program worse than Austin.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:35 am

pepperpot wrote:Cloquet is trying hard but isn't going to go anywhere. Our goaltending is up and down and we lack a 1-2 scoring punch like we've had in past years. We really made a mistake by not going to A. Girls numbers are dropping up north and won't get better. Duluth is terrible and could possibly lose their program if they aren't careful. There only win is against a horrible Superior Wisconsin team who doesn't have a full roster. Not good for girls hockey when the biggest city up north has a program worse than Austin.
Very puzzling given the strength of the teams on the boys side...Hermantown, Duluth East and Grand Rapids are consistently great programs, then you have Cloquet and Duluth Marshall that are often strong as well. But for some reason girls hockey in that part of the state lags way behind in terms of participation and interest.

alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:22 pm

7AA pride for Elk River tonight, I see they beat Hill Murray 3-1.

goaline

Post by goaline » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:33 am

alcloseshaver wrote:7AA pride for Elk River tonight, I see they beat Hill Murray 3-1.
Elks lost 1-0 to Blake in Kaposia title but a very good showing

Clarity won't come until head-to-head matchups happen but 7AA had a solid break with ER, Andover winning title, Flake playing well and a Rapids tie with Eastview and wins over Still and top 10 Lakeville S

Good to see section among the top in the state once again

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:55 pm

Looks like Elk is clear # 1 with win over Rapids
#2 i think Flake got this with its 6-0 win over Rapids. Yet CEC beat Flake and looses to Cambridge?

#3. Rapids

#4 Andover I would guess...

#5. Cambridge or CEC. Cambridge shut out the jacks 3-0 if you go head to head

#6 CEC or Cambridge

#7 st Fran

#8. Duluth

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:58 pm

Rocketwrister wrote:Looks like Elk is clear # 1 with win over Rapids
#2 i think Flake got this with its 6-0 win over Rapids. Yet CEC beat Flake and looses to Cambridge?

#3. Rapids

#6 CEC or Cambridge

#7 st Fran

#8. Duluth
Are there any AA hockey programs with 2 u 10 b teams and only 1 U12b team? So. AA program with 3 youth hockey teams. Just curious...

goaline

Post by goaline » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:07 am

Should Cloquet stay in the their classification this spring, class A you mean?

kniven wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:Looks like Elk is clear # 1 with win over Rapids

#3. Rapids

#6 CEC or Cambridge

#7 st Fran

#8. Duluth
Are there any AA hockey programs with 2 u 10 b teams and only 1 U12b team? So. AA program with 3 youth hockey teams. Just curious...

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:50 am

I believe WBL has only a 12ub and 3 u10 teams this year..

I think it is closer between ER/Z and Flake than you might think.

GR/G ???? I have no clue

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:19 pm

nu2hockey wrote:I believe WBL has only a 12ub and 3 u10 teams this year..

I think it is closer between ER/Z and Flake than you might think.

GR/G ???? I have no clue[/quot

That would be CEC

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:40 pm

goaline wrote:Should Cloquet stay in the their classification this spring, class A you mean?

It doesn't matter to me where they play their playoffs really. I just find it amazing they do play AA playoffs with only two u10b teams and one u12 b team in their youth program.

goaline

Post by goaline » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:02 am

1 Elks
2 Flake
3 GRG
4 Andover
5 Cloquet
6 St F
7 Camb
8 Duluth
?