Let's Play Hockey 2015-16 Season Rankings

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

This should be the week that TRF and Blake is finally ranked properly (TRF shouldn't even be in the top 10 and won't see St. Paul come February, while Blake should be 5 or lower, and won't see St. Paul this year either)...and Breck and Warroad takes the #1 &#2 spot respectively. SPU is good, and like a few other sections has no one blocking their road to the Excel, unless of course they take a game off like last year...that being said they deserve a #3 or #4 spot in the rankings, at least until they prove themselves when the tough part of their schedule kicks in.
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

Hard water fan wrote:This should be the week that TRF and Blake is finally ranked properly (TRF shouldn't even be in the top 10 and won't see St. Paul come February, while Blake should be 5 or lower, and won't see St. Paul this year either)...and Breck and Warroad takes the #1 &#2 spot respectively. SPU is good, and like a few other sections has no one blocking their road to the Excel, unless of course they take a game off like last year...that being said they deserve a #3 or #4 spot in the rankings, at least until they prove themselves when the tough part of their schedule kicks in.
Spot on... Though I'm still wondering about Warroad. Haven't followed them close enough yet to see if they've been tested enough. I think your right on with a Breck and Blake. But it's two teams I get board with mighty fast. Warroad could be fun to track on for awhile.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

itsfoilcoach wrote:
Hard water fan wrote:This should be the week that TRF and Blake is finally ranked properly (TRF shouldn't even be in the top 10 and won't see St. Paul come February, while Blake should be 5 or lower, and won't see St. Paul this year either)...and Breck and Warroad takes the #1 &#2 spot respectively. SPU is good, and like a few other sections has no one blocking their road to the Excel, unless of course they take a game off like last year...that being said they deserve a #3 or #4 spot in the rankings, at least until they prove themselves when the tough part of their schedule kicks in.
Spot on... Though I'm still wondering about Warroad. Haven't followed them close enough yet to see if they've been tested enough. I think your right on with a Breck and Blake. But it's two teams I get board with mighty fast. Warroad could be fun to track on for awhile.
I'm not sure why you think Breck is a "clear" number one. They haven't had a big upset or really any statement games? When was the last time they beat either Blake or SPU? Warroad might be great. Definitely deep and talented. But that's what everyone thought about Proctor until they upped their SOS (and struggled, to be generous. But huge props for doing so. They could easily stay closer home and protect their record so I applaud the coach.) Their goalie IS AMAZING but does that 0-1 vs Blake tell us anything about Blake? Lots of good hockey to be played the next few weeks. But today I would still go Blake at 1, followed by SPA, Warroad, and then Breck.
What's the consensus here about Hill? They've had more than a few periods this month that were fire. Followed by messy. If they can assimilate their new older players and get cohesive they could. Go. All. The. Way. But it's rare to see Minnetonka get frustrated or tired. Hard working and relentless. Both fun teams to watch. EP... I don't see the chemistry. I haven't watched MG or Edina yet.
All IMHO opinion of course.
Last edited by Nevertoomuchhockey on Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

NTMH, you are certainly entitled, but you're wrong. I'm not sure where you get the time to watch all these teams considering your only involvement in girls hockey is your 12u daughter (right? wink-wink lol). Regardless, I've watched Blake, Breck and SPU in person while watching my hot/cold goalie daughter play against all three this past week. Not sure where you are going with that, but whatever- I'll stick to the point. Breck is by far and above the best of the three teams we faced. They move the puck extremely well, they don't have any soft spots and they are extremely disciplined in their pp and pk. They converted 2 of 5 pp, never made a mistake in their zone and played very, very well. They have the strongest sos of the three at #9 for both A and AA. SPU comparatively is 71st (not a typo) and Blake is at 12. The lowly Mirage is at 20. As I mentioned in my original post, SPU is respectable, but not in the same league as Breck. I watched the same group of Breck girls dominate in the 3x3 tournament this late summer. They put the hurt on Hill, to everyone's surprise. We can reconvene once the scores are settled later this year and you've had a chance to take in more games that you have no stake in other than just being a supporter of girls HS hockey :roll:
Bulldog3489

Post by Bulldog3489 »

Krach and QRF disagree about Blake and Breck.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Didn't know that was your daughter, I apologize if you think I was ripping on her. I wasn't. Keeping Blake to one goal is impressive as hell, and very few goalies can say they've done that. Never said your team was lowly. Good word though.
And she's playing pee wees this year, but thanks for your interest. We prob see 3-4 varsity games a week, since almost every arena is within 15 miles. Technology is also a wonderful asset in my pursuit to know everything about everything hockey.
I appreciate your opinion on B/B, I just disagree. You didn't rip into any of my other A or any AA opinions. Feel free 😶 If I have a "stake" in anything, it's Hill. And you know why.

Have a nice season.
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

Sure you did...or maybe a slip caused a recent concussion and memory loss, but whatever. What program does your daughter play for? Does she enjoy playing with boys over girls? Does the boys schedule for peewees permit that much free time in the evenings? Sounds like it's busy in never-never land! Since you asked... Hill stands alone in AA, much like Breck in A. Would love to see a single game conclusion to the girls after A and AA finish. I think the parity at the top two or three teams on each side is pretty even, and it would bring a full house of hockey fans to Ridder...
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Didn't know that was your daughter, I apologize if you think I was ripping on her. I wasn't. Keeping Blake to one goal is impressive as hell, and very few goalies can say they've done that. Never said your team was lowly. Good word though.
And she's playing pee wees this year, but thanks for your interest. We prob see 3-4 varsity games a week, since almost every arena is within 15 miles. Technology is also a wonderful asset in my pursuit to know everything about everything hockey.
I appreciate your opinion on B/B, I just disagree. You didn't rip into any of my other A or any AA opinions. Feel free 😶 If I have a "stake" in anything, it's Hill. And you know why.

Have a nice season.
Your daughter plays Pee Wee.

I feel like I should know who you are : )
Nevertoomuchhockey

"Sure I did" what? I don't understand your reply and don't think I want to. Gotta run. 10 games tonight, 15 min at each, allowing for travel time in my helicopter.
And she loves her team. Less drama, less gossip, and the scoreboard is all the chirping anyone needs.

Have a nice season.
Nevertoomuchhockey

jg2112 wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Didn't know that was your daughter, I apologize if you think I was ripping on her. I wasn't. Keeping Blake to one goal is impressive as hell, and very few goalies can say they've done that. Never said your team was lowly. Good word though.

Have a nice season.
Your daughter plays Pee Wee.

I feel like I should know who you are : )
I'm sure you do 😎
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

If you feed a stray cat it will keep coming back for more and never leave...not saying, just saying.

And why do I keep hearing that damn music?

http://www.hark.com/clips/mvkrdnknxp-if ... ad-a-brain
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

Lol, point taken 36...
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Hard water fan that 3/3 tourney was a fun few days of hockey. In the ship against HM it went back and forth and the Breck goalie was lights out. Breck had six skaters against nine skaters for HM. Two of the Breck skaters play for Elk River and another plays for Dodge Co. It will be fun to watch the season unfold this year. I think it's Brecks year to get to state and win the whole thing. I also think HM could run the table. Time will tell.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

36Guy wrote:If you feed a stray cat it will keep coming back for more and never leave...not saying, just saying.

And why do I keep hearing that damn music?

http://www.hark.com/clips/mvkrdnknxp-if ... ad-a-brain
http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34460
#-o
tinroofrusted

Post by tinroofrusted »

High School Girls AA - Dec. 9, 2015
1 HILL-MURRAY (10)
2 Minnetonka
3 Edina
4 Wayzata
5 Maple Grove
6 Eden Prairie
7 Elk River/Zimmerman
8 Cretin-Derham Hall
9 Chaska/Chanhassen
10 Blaine
11 Lakeville South
12 Dodge County
13 Stillwater Area
14 Mounds View
15 Eagan
16 Centennial
17 White Bear Lake
18 Spring Lake Park/Coon Rapids
19 Eastview
20 Buffalo

High School Girls A - Dec. 9, 2015
1 BLAKE (9)
2 Breck (1)
3 St. Paul United
4 Warroad
5 Thief River Falls
6 Proctor/Hermantown
7 East Grand Forks
8 Red Wing
9 New Prague
10 Alexandria
11 Orono
12 Mound Westonka
13 New Ulm
14 South St. Paul
15 Hutchinson
16 Princeton
17 Hibbing/Chisholm
18 Owatonna
19 Mahtomedi
20 Moose Lake Area
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

Hard water fan wrote:while Blake should be 5 or lower, and won't see St. Paul this year either
Seems based on the results yesterday that Blake has been ranked appropriately. It looks like you were basing your opinion on how each team played your daughters team, some times certain teams just match up against others better. This time of year coaches usually don't scout certain NC opponents as well as they do Section, Conf teams, so they may not change game plans much. Therefore you see some odd scores just based on what certain teams do well and how the matches up with another squad.

IMO - Blake is the clear #1 in A, while they don't have the dominant top line they have had in past years, this is the deepest Blake team I have ever seen.
Hard water fan

Post by Hard water fan »

Congrats for the win, but l stand by my statement. We all know teams have off days...and maybe your girls just have their number. That being said, in my humble opinion there was a significant difference in the depth and ability of the two teams. It hasn't been decided yet either- I'll reserve my crow for the end of the year... may the best team win!
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

Decide for yourself who should be #1 in Class A Girls Hockey (assuming you think it should be Blake or Breck...)!

Breck vs Blake game is here if anyone wants to watch (free and available as of Sunday night):

http://www.msbnsports.net/
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

massalsa wrote:Decide for yourself who should be #1 in Class A Girls Hockey (assuming you think it should be Blake or Breck...)!

Breck vs Blake game is here if anyone wants to watch (free and available as of Sunday night):

If you put it that way I don't think either should be #1 in Class A, both should opt up to AA. Personally I'm not a fan of teams who can pull from multiple communities playing for a small school championship.
MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter »

allhoc11 wrote:
massalsa wrote:Decide for yourself who should be #1 in Class A Girls Hockey (assuming you think it should be Blake or Breck...)!

If you put it that way I don't think either should be #1 in Class A, both should opt up to AA. Personally I'm not a fan of teams who can pull from multiple communities playing for a small school championship.
=D>
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

The decide for yourself was not directed specifically at allhoc but for anyone interested in watching all or part of the game.

Looks like there will be a few more girls games on MSBN sports this winter...they do a nice job IMHO.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

It will be interesting how the rankings of the Lake Conference powers change. Certainly they can no longer beat up on lesser opponents, but instead transition to their annual gauntlet of Lake top 10 teams. So, their records will suffer unless one of the teams runs away with things and the casual observer will equate poorer records with poorer teams. Whereas, in reality these teams will likely be stronger because of the stiffer competition and despite the records.
Nevertoomuchhockey

allhoc11 wrote:

By that definition, there are certainly other teams that "should opt up" as multiple players were born and bred and even played high school hockey outside the small school community. It's not just these top 3 privates that pull from multiple communities.
tinroofrusted

Post by tinroofrusted »

High School Girls AA - Dec. 16, 2015
1 HILL-MURRAY (10)
2 Minnetonka
3 Wayzata
4 Edina
5 Maple Grove
6 Eden Prairie
7 Blaine
8 Elk River/Zimmerman
9 Cretin-Derham Hall
10 Chaska/Chanhassen
11 Lakeville South
12 Dodge County
13 Centennial
14 Stillwater Area
15 Mounds View
16 Eagan
17 Eastview
18 White Bear Lake
19 Forest Lake
20 Spring Lake Park/Coon Rapids

High School Girls A - Dec. 16, 2015
1 BLAKE (10)
2 Breck
3 St. Paul United
4 Warroad
5 Thief River Falls
6 Proctor/Hermantown
7 New Prague
8 Alexandria
9 East Grand Forks
10 Orono
11 Mound Westonka
12 Red Wing
13 New Ulm
14 South St. Paul
15 Hutchinson
16 Owatonna
17 Princeton
18 Mahtomedi
19 Hibbing/Chisholm
20 Moose Lake Area
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
allhoc11 wrote:

By that definition, there are certainly other teams that "should opt up" as multiple players were born and bred and even played high school hockey outside the small school community. It's not just these top 3 privates that pull from multiple communities.

Old topic here...but it's fun to talk about, and wounder why the high school league seems to ignore it year after year. They must not have a creative bone in their body. Or just lack critical thinking skills. It could be $$$. You all remember the independent classic conference. Bring it back I say. Look at the rankings tell me that the field is level. Sure you will have some power houses regardless. But not the level these teams seem to build year after year. These team go around beat up on pretty decent teams, ruin stats and records for any team they play, and move on... Take Hill, SPU, Blake, Breck, St Margret's, Holy Family, and others I can't think of, and put them all in the independent conferance and let them play off. All the privates would be fighting for the same kids. Then we can get back to some good games, and not those 8, 9, 10+ goal games you've been seeing a lot this year. Hope all is going well in the hockey world for everyone.