Coaching Changes

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ZamboniGuy

Post by ZamboniGuy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:22 am

jg2112 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
classahockeyrocks wrote:Add Wayzata to the list. Becky Wacker resigned to raise a family.
How many ex-Gopher women players does that now make ex-high school coaches?
Off the top of my head: Wacker, Darwitz, Wendell-Pohl and Slominski? Obviously some (or perhaps all?) were voluntary resignations. Any other former Gophers from the last few years, and are there any others still coaching?
Ronda (Curtin) Engelhardt is the head coach at Breck.
Meghan Lorence is an assistant coach at Mounds View.
Kate Flug is the JV coach at Roseville.
Ashley Stenerson is an assistant coach at Blake.

titleist

Post by titleist » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:15 pm

ZamboniGuy wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
classahockeyrocks wrote:Add Wayzata to the list. Becky Wacker resigned to raise a family.
Off the top of my head: Wacker, Darwitz, Wendell-Pohl and Slominski? Obviously some (or perhaps all?) were voluntary resignations. Any other former Gophers from the last few years, and are there any others still coaching?
Bethany Brausen is the Assistant Coach at Breck

tinroofrusted

Post by tinroofrusted » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:05 am

titleist wrote:
ZamboniGuy wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
Bethany Brausen is the Assistant Coach at Breck
Tracy (Engstrom) Cassano is Head Coach of Burnsville

LZ94

Post by LZ94 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:26 am

Bemidji has posted for a girls hockey coach.

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:25 am

LZ94 wrote:Bemidji has posted for a girls hockey coach.
1 and done for Jim? That was quick...

LZ94

Post by LZ94 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:43 pm

Rocketwrister wrote:
It was Jackie - she did 2 or 3 years.

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:41 am

LZ94 wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:
It was Jackie - she did 2 or 3 years.
Your right. I was thinking Brainerd when i read your post initially

allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:02 pm

A few of these jobs opened early, you would think they would like to get some coaches in place in time to allow them to run summer camps. I would guess we would start to see some of them announce hires in the near future.

allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:23 am

1. Edina –
2. Eagan –
3. Bloomington Jefferson –
4. North Wright County –
5. Buffalo –
6. Hastings –
7. Cretin Deram Hall –
8. Wayzata -
9. Mankato West -
10. Robbinsdale Armstrong -

LZ94

Post by LZ94 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:22 pm

1. Edina –
2. Eagan –
4. North Wright County –
5. Buffalo –
6. Hastings –
7. Cretin Deram Hall –
8. Wayzata -
9. Mankato West -
11. Bemidji -
12. Fairmont -

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:38 pm

LZ94 wrote:1. Edina –
2. Eagan –
4. North Wright County –
5. Buffalo –
6. Hastings –
7. Cretin Deram Hall –
8. Wayzata -
9. Mankato West -
11. Bemidji -
12. Fairmont -
Over 10% of the head coaching jobs in MN are open this off-season. Sadly, that seems par for the course.

allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:48 pm

jg2112 wrote: Over 10% of the head coaching jobs in MN are open this off-season. Sadly, that seems par for the course.
Actually that is low, but it is early. I think we have consistently been around 30% the past few years.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:27 am

allhoc11 wrote:
jg2112 wrote: Over 10% of the head coaching jobs in MN are open this off-season. Sadly, that seems par for the course.
Actually that is low, but it is early. I think we have consistently been around 30% the past few years.
That's depressing. I thought the number I had heard was 1/3 of all high school jobs turnover every 3 years.

If girls' hockey turns over around 35 varsity jobs every year, that is beyond depressing. That is so much embedded institutional knowledge and program continuity thrown out the door, for what?

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:57 am

jg2112 wrote:
allhoc11 wrote:
That's depressing. I thought the number I had heard was 1/3 of all high school jobs turnover every 3 years.

If girls' hockey turns over around 35 varsity jobs every year, that is beyond depressing. That is so much embedded institutional knowledge and program continuity thrown out the door, for what?
As far as female coaches are concerned I think it's something you just have to live with. We encourage these young women to take these jobs when they're 25 years old and just figuring out life as an adult. It shouldn't be a surprise that most of them quit after a few years as they gather families and responsibilities. I hope as these women age and their families get older they will start gravitating back to coaching and then you will see some longevity.

Benfishin

Colvin in at Hastings

Post by Benfishin » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:10 am

Congrats to former assistant coach Josh Colvin on being named the head coach at Hastings. He'll do a great job!

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:25 pm

Tony Scheid resigned from Stillwater today, will link the pretty depressing strib story later....

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:29 pm

jg2112 wrote:Tony Scheid resigned from Stillwater today, will link the pretty depressing strib story later....
Pioneer Press already has a story out, along with the Hub and the Stillwater paper. Sad how all this comes out in a down year for the program, his very first in 14 YEARS! Losing is not fun, but it certainly isn't reason to attack the coach or his family. I'm not a close friend, but I talk to Tony from time to time, and I've known him for several years. I've never seen him act inappropriately at a practice (yes, I have watched) or during a game. Nor have I ever heard anyone else complain either. The worse part is that the parents, or whomever, attacked his family. Awful.
In my opinion, Tony is a good guy, and will land a new coaching job very quickly (if he wants one).

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:41 pm

Lace'emUp wrote:
jg2112 wrote:Tony Scheid resigned from Stillwater today, will link the pretty depressing strib story later....
Pioneer Press already has a story out, along with the Hub and the Stillwater paper. Sad how all this comes out in a down year for the program, his very first in 14 YEARS! Losing is not fun, but it certainly isn't reason to attack the coach or his family. I'm not a close friend, but I talk to Tony from time to time, and I've known him for several years. I've never seen him act inappropriately at a practice (yes, I have watched) or during a game. Nor have I ever heard anyone else complain either. The worse part is that the parents, or whomever, attacked his family. Awful.
In my opinion, Tony is a good guy, and will land a new coaching job very quickly (if he wants one).
I am saddened by this news, but not surprised. I've heard nothing but complaining about how bad things are in Stillwater now. The funny thing is, when Stillwater was winning state tournaments, Tony could do no wrong. People there couldn't love him enough. Nothing has changed with the coach, the only differences are more losses than wins. Granted, part of his headaches now are having his own kids coming through the program. That is a tough tough situation, and never fair to the coach or his kid(s). Parents are brutal when their child isn't taken over a coaches kid. So Stillwater isn't as good now as they were a few years ago. Is it possible that maybe the kids aren't as good during these years as they were in the past? Is it possible that maybe the kids today don't care about tradition like they used to? Hey parents, how much does you kid and their teammates work at becoming the best during the off season?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:42 am

The parent coach thing is almost a no win situation unless they are the best player on the team but even then its not easy. It stems from the nobody taking responsibility for anything and over protecting of their kids. If your kid isn't playing enough, work harder but when its the coaches kid playing over your kid its way too easy to just use that as an excuse and that way its not your kids fault.

Happens in youth coaching where most are parent coaches. He/she made the team because the coach has beers with her dad, etc, etc. He is on the power play because he lives in the same neighborhood as the coach, etc, etc.

This is a society problem. I don't see it going away anytime soon. There should be a big push to get the parents in every sport to give the game back to the kids. When the kids complain, listen to them but don't agree and make excuses for them. Teach them to battle adversity and control their attitude and effort and make their situation better on their own.

Parents calling meeting with the coach, etc is out of hand. Remember Chris Humphries dad (Gopher basketball) being a staple in the locker room? Not acceptable. Get out, let the coaches coach. Let the kids fight their own battles.

2-3 crazy parents have more power than 20 quiet satisfied parents. Its a broken system and administrators shouldn't listen to crazies. Kids should set up their own meetings with the coach if they have an issue. If you can't resolve it, then after maybe a parent can be involved.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:43 am

Sad thing is Stillwater has a bumper crop of highly regarded U12 and U14 skaters that will soon be at the high school. Scheid probably deserved the opportunity to see out this temporary blip and develop this next wave of good players.

knights14

Post by knights14 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Bumper crop?
U12A 15-13-3
U15A RED 11-15-3
U15A BLACK 0-16 in district play

Explain please

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:32 am

knights14 wrote:Bumper crop?
U12A 15-13-3
U15A RED 11-15-3
U15A BLACK 0-16 in district play

Explain please
First off ...... sometimes looking at youth program performance can be highly deceiving. If a high school varsity team plays 13-15 players, that team is taking only the best 3-4 players from each grade.

Two major factors, to me, render moot the U15A teams' performance last year. First - their teams were balanced due to D2's stupid equity rules. If you look at the rosters you'll see Einan and Johnson who played on the .500 team. They're great players - true difference makers. Second, their U15 teams would have been a lot better had Ligday, Schuster, and four other 9th graders played on them, rather than varsity / JV.

Going down to the U12A level, there are plenty of players on that team (Wohlers, McGuire, Reinseth, Lynskey, Darby, Kulzer) who are on track to play varsity early in high school. They also have depth - around 45 U12 skaters, which means they have lots of chips on the table for potential late-developing players.

They also have a lot of high quality goalies at each level, which gives them an advantage over some associations who only have 2 full time goalies, combined, at the 12 and 15 levels.

I am certainly not saying they are a shoo-in for state in the future. Certainly some of these girls could play at CDH, at H-M, or elsewhere. Hill-Murray is certainly better placed in D2, but I don't think many other high school teams are stocked at youth level like the Ponies (at the 10s level, they are absolutely loaded as well). Remember that Forest Lake and Mahtomedi are not rivals to go to State. Stillwater has to overcome Hill, Mounds View and Irondale (whose thin talent base is split into two teams at HS), Roseville and a White Bear team with almost no numbers at the 12s level.

I do think they are well-placed to rebound very quickly from their 2015-16 season, and they have a lot of varsity-caliber players on the verge of showing up at the high school ages.

Yogi17

Post by Yogi17 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:00 am

Well put

knights14

Post by knights14 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:03 am

Yes well said but I disagree I watched both 15 teams this year and the Varsity and JV teams. Even if you put the best players together at the 15 level they would have been a good team but not a threat to get past districts. Again the U12s were a nice little team who did a great job of getting out of districts but were no threat at regions. Great season though. Varsity struggled and the JV team was actually pretty good so I see your point at that level. Could they pretty good in the coming years? sure they could but before that happens they have a lot of work to do.

skatez

Post by skatez » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:09 am

This thread is pointing out one of the problems in youth sports today. EVERYONE'S KID IS PART OF A BUMPER CROP! When that "bumper crop" doesn't produce results, its the coaches fault. I'm sure the group of girls that played for Stillwater this year were a "bumper crop" at one point too.