Coaching Changes

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mavs

Post by Mavs »

knights14 wrote:Yes well said but I disagree I watched both 15 teams this year and the Varsity and JV teams. Even if you put the best players together at the 15 level they would have been a good team but not a threat to get past districts. Again the U12s were a nice little team who did a great job of getting out of districts but were no threat at regions. Great season though. Varsity struggled and the JV team was actually pretty good so I see your point at that level. Could they pretty good in the coming years? sure they could but before that happens they have a lot of work to do.
The one U15 team lost in 4 OT's to go to Regions with two even A teams instead of an A and B. If you make one A team and the 8th graders off varsity it wouldn't get past districts? Hilarious. Bumper crop, no clue.

To the everyone has a bumper crop comment, I would agree with that. You never know until they get to high school. Some groups look great and then don't do much and other groups are average but mesh well together, etc.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

I don't disagree with anything any of you are saying. What I am saying is that if we're looking at either the Suburban East or Section 4AA, Stillwater has numbers, has talent, has youth success to be set up for the future.

There is a team in the Conference / Section that had one 8th grader, TOTAL, playing U15A hockey this year (with no 8th graders on the HS team). There is another team in the Section that has zero goalies in its youth program between 6th and 9th grade. There is yet another team that has no U12 skaters.

Stillwater has none of these issues. They are set up to succeed in the near future.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

I am surprised more of these positions haven't been filled yet with summer camps right around the corner.

Who are the top names out there? Big names and under the radar
knights14

Post by knights14 »

Look im sure Stillwater will be fine but you never know who is coming and going year to year. Your 4 ot game was against a Roseville team who finished 6-16-4 on the season. District 2 was a two team horse race from day 1 there were absolutely no other teams that were a threat too those 2 teams. Your so called bumper crop is so spread out throughout the age groups that it evens itself out in the long run. Obviously we agree to disagree and that's ok. I wish you and Stillwater girls hockey great success in the future. :D
skatez

Post by skatez »

Basically he's saying Stillwater is set up to succeed because the rest of the conference / section is falling apart.

If how you define success is the likelihood of not cooping and fielding a full squad, then they are definitely set up for success.

If they finish in the top 3 in their conference in the next three years it will be a miracle. Not sure thatwhat the Ponies are used to calling a successful season.
knights14

Post by knights14 »

Yea I understand what he is saying I just don't agree with it.
Cretin
Mounds view
East Ridge
Forest Lake
White Bear

All teams listed are in good shape the next 3 years it should be a very competitive conference.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

knights14 wrote:Look im sure Stillwater will be fine but you never know who is coming and going year to year. Your 4 ot game was against a Roseville team who finished 6-16-4 on the season. District 2 was a two team horse race from day 1 there were absolutely no other teams that were a threat too those 2 teams. Your so called bumper crop is so spread out throughout the age groups that it evens itself out in the long run. Obviously we agree to disagree and that's ok. I wish you and Stillwater girls hockey great success in the future. :D
I'm sure you are correct. I don't know the rosters like you and jg do but was simply countering your original point that even a combined team couldn't make it out of districts. Clearly they weren't that good and as you point out the RV team wasn't either. Good point.
goaline

Post by goaline »

Alexandria has coaching job posted on their district page, add that to updated list
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

knights14 wrote:Yea I understand what he is saying I just don't agree with it.
Cretin
Mounds view
East Ridge
Forest Lake
White Bear

All teams listed are in good shape the next 3 years it should be a very competitive conference.
I agree these teams will be good.

But, Stillwater will only need to play two of them, at most, to make it out of its section.

And worth mentioning again - WBL has no U12 teams.

For some reason the 2002 birth year in District 2 is very shallow, and some of these teams are going to suffer for it in the next couple of years.
Last edited by jg2112 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

skatez wrote:Basically he's saying Stillwater is set up to succeed because the rest of the conference / section is falling apart.

If how you define success is the likelihood of not cooping and fielding a full squad, then they are definitely set up for success.

If they finish in the top 3 in their conference in the next three years it will be a miracle. Not sure thatwhat the Ponies are used to calling a successful season.
In your paragraph #1, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that other teams are fine and will be good, but do not have the overall strength and depth of Stillwater.

FWIW, I'm not from Stillwater.
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

jg2112 wrote:
knights14 wrote:Yea I understand what he is saying I just don't agree with it.
Cretin
Mounds view
East Ridge
Forest Lake
White Bear

I agree these teams will be good.

But, Stillwater will only need to play two of them, at most, to make it out of its section.

And worth mentioning again - WBL has no U12 teams.

For some reason the 2002 birth year in District 2 is very shallow, and some of these teams are going to suffer for it in the next couple of years.
Which is a shame because the youth hockey association has done a huge disservice to the girls program lately. Killed numbers in a huge way. The current 9th graders who will be sophomores are a pretty special group talent wise, and I would guess WBL has 3 years to break through and then it's going to be VERY lean after that for 4 years or so. It may never recover to be honest, based on the direction of the youth program.
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

1. Edina –
2. Eagan –
3. Bloomington Jefferson – Mike Ryan
4. North Wright County –
5. Buffalo –
6. Hastings –
7. Cretin Deram Hall –
8. Wayzata -
9. Mankato West -
10. Robbinsdale Armstrong -
11. Bemidji -
12. Fairmont -
13. Stillwater -
14. Worthington -
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

Heard at the rink last night Bowlby and Jungels will take over at Edina.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

zambonidriver wrote:Heard at the rink last night Bowlby and Jungels will take over at Edina.
Interesting rumor. It would seem pretty unlikely that the AD would put two coaches in place that will both have multiple kids on the team. Not to mention that fact that both have histories of bench-shortening, which obviously happens at the HS level a fair amount, but wouldn't necessarily be a selling point to an AD. This would definitely be a win-at-all-costs move on the part of EHS, and indicates a serious lack of viable non-parent candidates in the Girls HS world. I guess we'll see.
Benfishin

Post by Benfishin »

Josh Colvin has been hired at Hastings
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

First round of interviews done at CDH
Same at Cooper Armstrong
Also heard that the normal parents are fed up with what happened at Stillwater and are taking charge.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:Heard at the rink last night Bowlby and Jungels will take over at Edina.
Interesting rumor. It would seem pretty unlikely that the AD would put two coaches in place that will both have multiple kids on the team. Not to mention that fact that both have histories of bench-shortening, which obviously happens at the HS level a fair amount, but wouldn't necessarily be a selling point to an AD. This would definitely be a win-at-all-costs move on the part of EHS, and indicates a serious lack of viable non-parent candidates in the Girls HS world. I guess we'll see.
We just had some discussion in this thread about a parent coach being a difficult situation. Looks like we are talking double parent coach with multiple kids each? Yikes, that could get really interesting around the glass on game days with the current ways in 2016. There are 5 kids on the top power play and 10 sets of parents that think their kid should be on it. Can you imagine if the power play was 5 coaches kids? (kids are good players, I'm sure)

Not saying they aren't good coaches or don't deserve it. That is up to the AD but just saying in the 2016 crazy parent society this could be really interesting. Maybe the entire Edina hockey community endorses it and its all good? Who knows.

popcorn
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

If the Edina rumor is true do the Machine elite 02's all transfer to Edina? They are going to be 9th graders.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY »

zambonidriver wrote:If the Edina rumor is true do the Machine elite 02's all transfer to Edina? They are going to be 9th graders.
LOL. ZD, eat some cinnamon or poor salt in your beer, you are so bitter.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

NW how did you know a manhatten is my drink of choice.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

I mean nothing negative towards the men who pour their heart and soul into coaching girls' hockey.

But for goodness sake, let's see some more women get hired to these jobs. There are plenty of worthy candidates coaching JV or assistant varsity.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

zambonidriver wrote:Also heard that the normal parents are fed up with what happened at Stillwater and are taking charge.
So the parents who ran Scheid out of town are about to be run out of town themselves? Chalk one up for the normal parents! Good for them. I wonder who the AD will side with? The crazy's who forced Scheid to resign, or the parents who want to make this right.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

Armstrong Cooper has that opportunity hopefully they will make the right decision. Mahtomedi had Laura May and the parents ran her off. I hear Kristi King is doing a great job at Cent, rumor has Stillwater is trying to get her. Englehart at Breck both her assistants would be great. Mira Jaluso is still living in the cities seems to me Chelsa Jones would be a no-brainer at Stillwater. Rachel Young would be a great candidate at Buffalo. Becky Gravel would be an awesome head coach somewhere. The main problem is in today's age young coaches dealing with parents is hard. Administrators have to have the coaches back and the contact with the coaches has to be an almost daily thing. All expectations today need to be in writing and players and parents need to sign off on those expectations so the AD has something he can refer to. A contract if you will.
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

Got this from the horses mouth the normal parents have already went to the AD and told him that they have his and the coaches back. They already are in control of booster club and have opened a dialogue with AD. Know a lot of them good people feet firmly place on the ground understand about development and performance most have played sports and have coached.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

zambonidriver wrote:Armstrong Cooper has that opportunity hopefully they will make the right decision. Mahtomedi had Laura May and the parents ran her off. I hear Kristi King is doing a great job at Cent, rumor has Stillwater is trying to get her. Englehart at Breck both her assistants would be great. Mira Jaluso is still living in the cities seems to me Chelsa Jones would be a no-brainer at Stillwater. Rachel Young would be a great candidate at Buffalo. Becky Gravel would be an awesome head coach somewhere. The main problem is in today's age young coaches dealing with parents is hard. Administrators have to have the coaches back and the contact with the coaches has to be an almost daily thing. All expectations today need to be in writing and players and parents need to sign off on those expectations so the AD has something he can refer to. A contract if you will.
It will be interesting to see if King leaves a program that she has worked hard to build over the last 3 years for another rebuild at her alma mater. Section 5aa is tough, but she has a shot to make the state tournament over the next 2 years at Centennial, more so in 2017-18. Stillwater is probably not tourney bound any time soon. If she did leave, maybe Scheid steps in at Centennial.

Anyone know what Rob Potter is up to (beyond his Pure Hockey), and is he pursuing any of these vacancies?