Coaching Changes

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
Benfishin wrote:I think knights14 is itsfoilcoach. Haven't heard from itsfoilciach after getting called out for ripping on Corkish for not taking a team to state and now knights14 shows up ripping on Pohl for not making a state tourney. Hmmm??Really??? You wonder why good coaches quit.
Wait, I thought MNHock and I figured out itsfoil was greatone99. #-o
Wow you take a few weeks off and I get unfairly judged. I was in therapy because of a Hill loss, and Blake winning another championship in a long line of championships. Mr., nevertomuchbasketball, easy big fella. Change isn't always a bad thing for coaching staffs. Now Cork can spend some more quality time with the family, which is a good thing. Sorry to break the news to some. But a measure of a good program is about many things. It’s about wins and losses, development (and who pays the bill for privates sorry to say). But the school has to base performance of coaches on something, and who pays the bill sometimes ways to heavy on that decision. That’s why these privates go through coaches, and parents change schools like Benfishen goes through bait. Look at the privates recent moves. SPU, or Cretin for example. A winning coach was let go because of a section loss, or Suzie not playing enough when paying 20k to be there. I'm guessing here, but that's the rumor. They both were “nice guys”, good coaches, and good mentors, but lost one game at the wrong time…. Except Hastings with a lifelong .500 winning percentage (who’d I spool up on that comment). He could be a nice guy, that's not in question here. Just because certain forum people like the coaches personality doesn't mean squat in the development of a student athlete, or in this circumstance, keeping staff around on a stagnate program, and there are many out there. A programs winning record, playing time(Suzie), has a direct correlation if he stays or goes these days, fair or not. Winning attracts youth, winning attracts parents, and colleges. It pushes others kids to develop because of the standard they try to surpass year after year. That expectation generates a culture of success by helping others set their standards just as high. Nice guys are just that... nice. I mean if it was that simple he would have made it farther based on the nice guy championship. Group hug now. Someone mentioned life skills he teaches his girls. Important, yes, but life skills can be taught by any normal acting adults, and any dedicated new hire coach, or teachers throughout the school day...even mom and dad. Nice coaches don’t last long these days for many reasons. It’s worse if you are an under-performer.
Last edited by itsfoilcoach on Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:35 am, edited 9 times in total.
Benfishin

Post by Benfishin »

Good to have you back IFC...I see you didn't get any smarter over the break. You have no clue about the situation with Cork and Hastings(Mr.....I looked him up on the Hub) so why comment without knowledge. You cleary have an axe to grind based upon prior posts and like most of your posts you bounce around and make little to no sense. Maybe an extended stay at a Holiday Inn Express would be helpful.
Bulldog3489

Post by Bulldog3489 »

itsfoilcoach wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
Benfishin wrote:I think knights14 is itsfoilcoach. Haven't heard from itsfoilciach after getting called out for ripping on Corkish for not taking a team to state and now knights14 shows up ripping on Pohl for not making a state tourney. Hmmm??Really??? You wonder why good coaches quit.
Wait, I thought MNHock and I figured out itsfoil was greatone99. #-o
Wow you take a few weeks off and I get unfairly judged. I was in therapy because of a Hill loss, and Blake winning another championship in a long line of championships. Mr., nevertomuchbasketball, easy big fella. Change isn't always a bad thing for coaching staffs. Now Cork can spend some more quality time with the family, which is a good thing. Sorry to break the news to some. But a measure of a good program is about many things. It’s about wins and losses, development (and who pays the bill for privates sorry to say). But the school has to base performance of coaches on something, and who pays the bill sometimes ways to heavy on that decision. That’s why these privates go through coaches, and parents change schools like Benfishen goes through bait. Look at the privates recent moves. SPU, or Cretin for example. A winning coach was let go because of a section loss, or Suzie not playing enough when paying 20k to be there. I'm guessing here, but that's the rumor. They both were “nice guys”, good coaches, and good mentors, but lost one game at the wrong time…. Except Hastings with a lifelong .500 winning percentage (who’d I spool up on that comment). He could be a nice guy, that's not in question here. Just because certain forum people like the coaches personality doesn't mean squat in the development of a student athlete, or in this circumstance keeping staff around on a stagnate program, and there are many out there. A programs winning record, playing time(Suzie), has a direct correlation if he stays or goes these days, fair or not. Winning attracts youth, winning attracts parents, and colleges. It pushes others kids to develop because of the standard they try to surpass year after year. That expectation generates a culture of success by helping others set their standards just as high. Nice guys are just that... nice. I mean if it was that simple he would have made it farther based on the nice guy championship. Group hug now. Someone mentioned life skills he teaches his girls. Important, yes, but life skills can be taught by any normal acting adults, and any dedicated new hire coach, or teachers throughout the school day...even mom and dad. Nice coaches don’t last long these days for many reasons. It’s worse if you are an under-performer.
Not really following your logic. Hastings was probably better than almost every public school the same size or smaller. They could keep it competitive with Hill. If they played at the A level they might have done some damage at state.
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

Bulldog3489 wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote: Wait, I thought MNHock and I figured out itsfoil was greatone99. #-o
Wow you take a few weeks off and I get unfairly judged. I was in therapy because of a Hill loss, and Blake winning another championship in a long line of championships. Mr., nevertomuchbasketball, easy big fella. Change isn't always a bad thing for coaching staffs. Now Cork can spend some more quality time with the family, which is a good thing. Sorry to break the news to some. But a measure of a good program is about many things. It’s about wins and losses, development (and who pays the bill for privates sorry to say). But the school has to base performance of coaches on something, and who pays the bill sometimes ways to heavy on that decision. That’s why these privates go through coaches, and parents change schools like Benfishen goes through bait. Look at the privates recent moves. SPU, or Cretin for example. A winning coach was let go because of a section loss, or Suzie not playing enough when paying 20k to be there. I'm guessing here, but that's the rumor. They both were “nice guys”, good coaches, and good mentors, but lost one game at the wrong time…. Except Hastings with a lifelong .500 winning percentage (who’d I spool up on that comment). He could be a nice guy, that's not in question here. Just because certain forum people like the coaches personality doesn't mean squat in the development of a student athlete, or in this circumstance keeping staff around on a stagnate program, and there are many out there. A programs winning record, playing time(Suzie), has a direct correlation if he stays or goes these days, fair or not. Winning attracts youth, winning attracts parents, and colleges. It pushes others kids to develop because of the standard they try to surpass year after year. That expectation generates a culture of success by helping others set their standards just as high. Nice guys are just that... nice. I mean if it was that simple he would have made it farther based on the nice guy championship. Group hug now. Someone mentioned life skills he teaches his girls. Important, yes, but life skills can be taught by any normal acting adults, and any dedicated new hire coach, or teachers throughout the school day...even mom and dad. Nice coaches don’t last long these days for many reasons. It’s worse if you are an under-performer.
Not really following your logic. Hastings was probably better than almost every public school the same size or smaller. They could keep it competitive with Hill. If they played at the A level they might have done some damage at state.
A few won't believe this. It's not about Hastings. That topic just happened because it was at the beginning of all the coaching changes. . At that time he was one of the first to step down. Assuming he chose to do it, and no other reasons that I heard of. Blah blah blah..no axe to grind here. Just because you say something critical, doesn't mean there is always a alterer motive behind it. But as far as being a decent team. The last two years the end of the season rankings they never broke into top 20. Maybe it's SOS who knows. But even then you would think they could break into the rankings eventually. Moving on. No more Hastings talk for me. My phone has been getting to much attention again. Plus it sucks to type on.

On a side note - They graduated a 40 goal scorer. Some would maybe think of leaving after 17 years and losing that much offense. Can't blam him if that was a contributing factor in his decision. That's was half of the total goals scored for the team.
Benfishin

Post by Benfishin »

Did you look that stat up on the hub as well?? You're the one who has brought up Hastings and been throwing barbs. Know your facts(not from the hub) before piping off!
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

Benfishin wrote:Did you look that stat up on the hub as well?? You're the one who has brought up Hastings and been throwing barbs. Know your facts(not from the hub) before piping off!
Sorry 39 goals. No I used Hastings situation as an example goofball on coaching situations in general. Yes the hub I used. It takes out the personal side of things being its by the numbers. You brought up the axe to grind crap. Sorry I picked on your better half. He never made it to state, or through sections in his career. Though that's not a overall indicator of a good coach. But just being a "stand up" guy as you say isn't enough in this day and age either. It helps, but you need so much more than that to get by parents these days. ..again fair or not. Facts are facts. A lot teams don't make it, and that's fine. But again, sometimes change is good. For no other reason than a new look, or a different strategy to get to the next level. Maybe it's just to reinvigorate programs that are just sustaining status quo for years. SPU and Cretin coaches careers were very short compared to his. He made it 17 years and wasn't as successful... A good run in my book. Sorry again on that as well. But according to the Hub, it is what it is. Tough to hear I'm sure for you. By the way, what are your basing your biased opinions from? This isn't Mrs. Corkish is it? My apologies if it is.

The problem isn't the Corks of the coaching world. It's ADs that hold on to coaches to long, and others not long enough.
Hockey987

Post by Hockey987 »

itsfoilcoach wrote:
Benfishin wrote:Did you look that stat up on the hub as well?? You're the one who has brought up Hastings and been throwing barbs. Know your facts(not from the hub) before piping off!
Sorry 39 goals. No I used Hastings situation as an example goofball on coaching situations in general. Yes the hub I used. It takes out the personal side of things being its by the numbers. You brought up the axe to grind crap. Sorry I picked on your better half. He never made it to state, or through sections in his career. Though that's not a overall indicator of a good coach. But just being a "stand up" guy as you say isn't enough in this day and age either. It helps, but you need so much more than that to get by parents these days. ..again fair or not. Facts are facts. A lot teams don't make it, and that's fine. But again, sometimes change is good. For no other reason than a new look, or a different strategy to get to the next level. Maybe it's just to reinvigorate programs that are just sustaining status quo for years. SPU and Cretin coaches careers were very short compared to his. He made it 17 years and wasn't as successful... A good run in my book. Sorry again on that as well. But according to the Hub, it is what it is. Tough to hear I'm sure for you. By the way, what are your basing your biased opinions from? This isn't Mrs. Corkish is it? My apologies if it is.

The problem isn't the Corks of the coaching world. It's ADs that hold on to coaches to long, and others not long enough.
Winning isn't the only thing that matters, look at Edina, they made it to two tournaments in row and their coach is gone. Shouldn't being a good coach, teaching the kids how to win and how to lose be more important. Heck my daughters team just won their first section game this year, ever and the parents were happy as can be. Coach is a good guy, players like him, he does his best with what little talent we have, he gets the most out of each player. Shouldn't that be what we want out of a coach?
Benfishin

Post by Benfishin »

IFC...you just don't get it. Having coaches that are not only great hockey people but also care about the kids and teach life lessons are much more imprtant than how many state tournaments they made made it to. If you don't understand that you are truly a lost cause!
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

Benfishin wrote:IFC...you just don't get it. Having coaches that are not only great hockey people but also care about the kids and teach life lessons are much more imprtant than how many state tournaments they made made it to. If you don't understand that you are truly a lost cause!
Lets see some quotes from IFC.

* But just being a "stand up" guy as you say isn't enough in this day and age either. It helps, but you need so much more than that to get by parents these days. ..again fair or not.
* Cork - A good run in my book
*. He never made it to state, or through sections in his career. Though that's not a overall indicator of a good coach.
*A lot teams don't make it, and that's fine
* a measure of a good program is about many things. It’s about wins and losses, development (and who pays the bill for privates sorry to say). These are all indicators of a programs heath. But the school has to base performance of coaches on something, and who pays the bill sometimes ways to heavy on that decision.* Refer to Johnny Pohl. Cant get more talent than that coaching (or the asst coach he had). Where is he today? Again not a fair situation for him. This was all about winning here, and a little Suzie being cut at the beginning of the year, or not playing enough.

Get off the life lesson crap. Kids will attain that through many avenues in and outside of sports. Important yes, But I hope coaches can bring more to the table than that. We/you made this way to personal. It wasn't supposed to be about any particular coach. It's coaching changes in general, any program, anywhere changes take place and why.

Again its not about Cork. Let that go.
Last edited by itsfoilcoach on Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Benfishin

Post by Benfishin »

OK John...I'll let it go.
itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach »

Benfishin wrote:OK John...I'll let it go.
You caught me. I'm a Cretin fan. Johnny Pohl got a raw deal as I pointed out. I'm not him however. I wouldn't mind having his hockey career though. It's just tough to see this stuff happen around the league for the wrong reasons... all too often. The kids lost a great coach. We lost a great advocate for girls hockey. Hopefully he stays in the girls program somewhere.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Title: Varsity Girls Hockey
School: Cretin-Derham Hall High School
Send Resumes to:
Jodi Loeblein-Lecker- Athletic Director
550 S Albert Street
St. Paul, MN 55116-9984 For More Info:
Jodi Loeblein-Lecker
651-696-3310
jloeblein@c-dh.org
Deadline: April 4, 2016 Start: 10/31/2016
Description:
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Title: Varsity Girls Hockey Coach
School: Hastings High School
Send Resumes to:
Tom Johnson- Athletic Director
200 General Sieben Drive
Hastings, MN 55033-2597 For More Info:
Tom Johnson
651/480-7596
tjohnson@hastings.k12.mn.us
Deadline: March 25, 2016 Start: October 2016
Description:
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Title: Head Girls Hockey
School: Bloomington Jefferson High School
Send Resumes to:
-
4001 W 102nd Street
Bloomington, MN 55437-2699 For More Info:
Chad Nyberg
952-806-7719
cnyberg@isd271.org
Deadline: see job posting from above Start: 16-17
Description:
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Title: Girls Head Hockey Coach
School: Eagan High School
Send Resumes to:
Sandra Setter Larsen- Athletics Director
4185 Braddock Trail
Eagan, MN 55123-1575 For More Info:
Sandra Setter Larsen
651-683-6912
sandra.setter@district196.org
Deadline: until filled Start: Immediate
Description:
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Coaches leaving successful (everyone has a different definition, I understand) programs. One thing I wonder about is the link between the youth and HS programs. Granted, some HS don't have youth programs and acquire their players in other ways. The link to the youth program takes some time to develop, get everyone on the same page, learning the feeder program, if you will. Of course, some coaches never do this. We'll see which coaches, in addition to coaching HS and their day jobs, fully integrate the youth programs into their HS programs.

Winning state championships takes some luck, too. Not to pick on anyone, but should Edina have won at least one state championship with their incredible talent over the past 10 years. Probably most would say 'yes'. Of course, they've had to compete against Tonka, HM, Roseville, etc. over that span, so perhaps those teams were just a little bit better and Edina did the best they could? Is this the coach's fault, the players, hot goalies, injuries, parents, bad timing, puck luck, etc.? I'll let the smarter hockey minds opine on that and the worthiness of various other coaches. Again, using Edina as an example and this could apply similarly to other schools in varying degrees.

There are an incredible number of variables that go into winning. Just ask HM how difficult it was to try to duplicate Tonka's 3peat. The margins are even more razor-thin for teams in that second echelon. It's not a binary decision . . . is he/she a good coach or a bad coach? There are an extraordinary amount of color shades across the entire coaching spectrum.
classahockeyrocks

Post by classahockeyrocks »

Add Wayzata to the list. Becky Wacker resigned to raise a family.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

classahockeyrocks wrote:Add Wayzata to the list. Becky Wacker resigned to raise a family.
How many ex-Gopher women players does that now make ex-high school coaches?
Off the top of my head: Wacker, Darwitz, Wendell-Pohl and Slominski? Obviously some (or perhaps all?) were voluntary resignations. Any other former Gophers from the last few years, and are there any others still coaching?
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
classahockeyrocks wrote:Add Wayzata to the list. Becky Wacker resigned to raise a family.
How many ex-Gopher women players does that now make ex-high school coaches?
Off the top of my head: Wacker, Darwitz, Wendell-Pohl and Slominski? Obviously some (or perhaps all?) were voluntary resignations. Any other former Gophers from the last few years, and are there any others still coaching?
Ronda (Curtin) Engelhardt is the head coach at Breck.
Meghan Lorence is an assistant coach at Mounds View.
Kate Flug is the JV coach at Roseville.
brookyone

Post by brookyone »

Not true. Left the job strictly due to a promotion in her job / professional career that will consume her time.

I'm a friend of the family.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

brookyone wrote:
Not true. Left the job strictly due to a promotion in her job / professional career that will consume her time.
That makes more sense. There are plenty of women who both coach and raise a family.
skatez

Post by skatez »

There are plenty of women who both coach and raise a family.

Please list them. It doesn't seem like there are many.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Title: Head Girls Hockey Coach
School: Robbinsdale Armstrong High School
Send Resumes to:
Patti Weldon- Activities Director
10635 36th Avenue North
Plymouth, MN 55441 For More Info:
Patti Weldon
763-504-8818
patti_weldon@rdale.org
Deadline: Open until filled Start: October, 2016
Description:
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

What is the most years a female has coached at a school?
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Foil is right. coaches get cut because of losing. Sometimes because of playing time from a primadona. The usual suspects behind the firing are parents complaining to a AD. Its funny when parents expect coaches to teach their kids "life lessons" while they teach their kids all sorts of bad lessons, like win at any cost, step on your team mate to advance, don't listen to the coach because he or she doesn't know jack, rules are made to be broken etc.This forum is filled with hypocrites. :roll: In this day of age, I can't think of any good reason to be a coach when you have parents acting the way they do. It's a thankless job that doesn't pay enough in my opinion. HS hockey in Minnesota is a shadow of what it was. Not the game, but the things behind it. Crazy money to pay for "Elite" training, specialized camps, worthless junior programs that sell snake oil to ego inflated talentless hacks, traveling to tournaments allover gods creation when the kids are 10 years old, clickish organizations that give kids nods when they shouldn't, all for what? Thinking about your kid playing hockey? Save yourself 50 grand and put it in your kids college fund and have them play robotics.