Striking Perspective on Elite/Selective Training for Girls

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother »

itsfoilcoach wrote:
massalsa wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote: At every level of girls hockey...whether they are U-10 or Jr. Whitecap, Winny is incredible at matching kids with correct levels of competition. And the most impressive thing about her, is she knows your kid. If you've been in her camp, she knows you and your level. How she can remember every kid is so impressive and makes every kid feel that she cares about them. She is an incredible source for MN girls hockey...She is the connection from MN hockey to college hockey, like it or not.
I can't think of ANYONE I have met or have heard about that I would rather have as the connection to college hockey and the amazing opportunities that it presents to girls. She is a GIFT to this state and girls hockey.

I think you all just made me throw up in my mouth a bit... Please give your daughters some credit. If you're good enough, you will get noticed with, or without WB. At the end of the day you need to be able to back up what people say about you on the ice. Winney can't skate for your daughters, and no collage will take her because she knows, oh my god.... Winney. Your daughters are the biggest reason they get noticed. Coaches, recruiters, grades, and hard work are what get them there. If anything, Winney reaps the free benefits of your daughters hard work, and your investments in her gift through her years of hard work. Yes, Winney has a network, but if she's good enough she will be noticed with or without her. Stop drinking the cool-aid. Many made it without her. In no way does it hurt your daughters chances naturally. But try to separate your starry eyed personal feeling for the lady, and give your daughters the accolades for her achievments she deserves....with out the asterisk behind her name for Winney.

Im not saying she hasnt contributed alot to the sport. So lets not go off the deep end here on my comments. But let's be sensible as well.
You are correct in saying that our daughters talents are what drive the colleges, but you are sorely mistaken about what Winny does for girls hockey in this state. You obviously have no clue what she does for so many girls here in MN. You can go on and send your kid to MAP or any other hockey clinic that you chose, but none have the college pull that Winny has. Not even close. How do you think 30-40 college coaches come and run practices and coach tournament games for prospective college bound kids over the summer? Is that by chance? I don't think so. Do other hockey camps in MN offer that many college coaches to come for 3 weekends and shoot fish in a barrel? I don't think so. Why is it that those that train elsewhere always want to participate in tournaments where Os teams are going to play? Perhaps they want to see real competition?? Perhaps deep down they know, if they want to be seen, they better compete against Os. Since you are set in the mind frame its Kool Aid, how many kids that aren't affiliated with Os in some way move on to play college hockey, versus those that are affiliated, that move on...I'd like to see the comparison numbers.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

itsfoilcoach wrote:
massalsa wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote: At every level of girls hockey...whether they are U-10 or Jr. Whitecap, Winny is incredible at matching kids with correct levels of competition. And the most impressive thing about her, is she knows your kid. If you've been in her camp, she knows you and your level. How she can remember every kid is so impressive and makes every kid feel that she cares about them. She is an incredible source for MN girls hockey...She is the connection from MN hockey to college hockey, like it or not.
I can't think of ANYONE I have met or have heard about that I would rather have as the connection to college hockey and the amazing opportunities that it presents to girls. She is a GIFT to this state and girls hockey.

I think you all just made me throw up in my mouth a bit... Please give your daughters some credit. If you're good enough, you will get noticed with, or without WB. At the end of the day you need to be able to back up what people say about you on the ice. Winney can't skate for your daughters, and no collage will take her because she knows, oh my god.... Winney. Your daughters are the biggest reason they get noticed. Coaches, recruiters, grades, and hard work are what get them there. If anything, Winney reaps the free benefits of your daughters hard work, and your investments in her gift through her years of hard work. Yes, Winney has a network, but if she's good enough she will be noticed with or without her. Stop drinking the cool-aid. Many made it without her. In no way does it hurt your daughters chances naturally. But try to separate your starry eyed personal feeling for the lady, and give your daughters the accolades for her achievments she deserves....with out the asterisk behind her name for Winney.

Im not saying she hasnt contributed alot to the sport. So lets not go off the deep end here on my comments. But let's be sensible as well.
I don't understand the negativity. I don't believe the conversation regarding Winny implied that our daughters did not play a big role in their own development. Likewise, no one implied you have to go through Winny to get noticed.
u12dad

List of non-OS Commits

Post by u12dad »

Hansonbrother wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:
massalsa wrote: I can't think of ANYONE I have met or have heard about that I would rather have as the connection to college hockey and the amazing opportunities that it presents to girls. She is a GIFT to this state and girls hockey.

You are correct in saying that our daughters talents are what drive the colleges, but you are sorely mistaken about what Winny does for girls hockey in this state. You obviously have no clue what she does for so many girls here in MN. You can go on and send your kid to MAP or any other hockey clinic that you chose, but none have the college pull that Winny has. Not even close. How do you think 30-40 college coaches come and run practices and coach tournament games for prospective college bound kids over the summer? Is that by chance? I don't think so. Do other hockey camps in MN offer that many college coaches to come for 3 weekends and shoot fish in a barrel? I don't think so. Why is it that those that train elsewhere always want to participate in tournaments where Os teams are going to play? Perhaps they want to see real competition?? Perhaps deep down they know, if they want to be seen, they better compete against Os. Since you are set in the mind frame its Kool Aid, how many kids that aren't affiliated with Os in some way move on to play college hockey, versus those that are affiliated, that move on...I'd like to see the comparison numbers.

Here is a list for you in two minutes of thinking-remember if you drove by a rink where OS kids were skating, you are claimed as an OS player:

Laura Anderson
Sam Auman
Paige Beebe
Lauren Bench
Lauren Boyle
Syd Brodt
Carly Bullock
Jordan Chancellor
Charly Dalquist
Anna Erickson
Rebecca Freiburger
Demi Gardner
Mariah Gardner
Janna Haeg
Sena Hanson
Gabbie Hughes
Jordan Jackson
Catherine Johnson
Brianna Jorde
Carly Lund
Haley Mack
Clare Minnerath
Morgan Morris
Andrea Olson
Lydia Passolt
Sofia Poinar
Kiki Radke
Dana Rassmussen
Maddie Rowe
MacKenzie Sederberg
Katarina Seper
Natalie Snodgrass
Taylor Turnquist
Sylvie Wallin
Hansonbrother

Re: List of non-OS Commits

Post by Hansonbrother »

u12dad wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
itsfoilcoach wrote:

Here is a list for you in two minutes of thinking-remember if you drove by a rink where OS kids were skating, you are claimed as an OS player:

Laura Anderson
Sam Auman
Paige Beebe
Lauren Bench
Lauren Boyle
Syd Brodt
Carly Bullock
Jordan Chancellor
Charly Dalquist
Anna Erickson
Rebecca Freiburger
Demi Gardner
Mariah Gardner
Janna Haeg
Sena Hanson
Gabbie Hughes
Jordan Jackson
Catherine Johnson
Brianna Jorde
Carly Lund
Haley Mack
Clare Minnerath
Morgan Morris
Andrea Olson
Lydia Passolt
Sofia Poinar
Kiki Radke
Dana Rassmussen
Maddie Rowe
MacKenzie Sederberg
Katarina Seper
Natalie Snodgrass
Taylor Turnquist
Sylvie Wallin
Worst case scenario, these are all kids that played in Elite League and most of which have played Jr Whitecaps....that's not driving by a parking lot...but I catch your drift
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Of these girls listed, I believe all of them participated in the OS Prospects every year and the vast majority played OS Jr Whitecaps. I would be curious of the names who never participated (especially OS Prospects)
u12dad

Post by u12dad »

Hansonbrother wrote:
u12dad wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote: You are correct in saying that our daughters talents are what drive the colleges, but you are sorely mistaken about what Winny does for girls hockey in this state. You obviously have no clue what she does for so many girls here in MN. You can go on and send your kid to MAP or any other hockey clinic that you chose, but none have the college pull that Winny has. Not even close. How do you think 30-40 college coaches come and run practices and coach tournament games for prospective college bound kids over the summer? Is that by chance? I don't think so. Do other hockey camps in MN offer that many college coaches to come for 3 weekends and shoot fish in a barrel? I don't think so. Why is it that those that train elsewhere always want to participate in tournaments where Os teams are going to play? Perhaps they want to see real competition?? Perhaps deep down they know, if they want to be seen, they better compete against Os. Since you are set in the mind frame its Kool Aid, how many kids that aren't affiliated with Os in some way move on to play college hockey, versus those that are affiliated, that move on...I'd like to see the comparison numbers.

Laura Anderson
Sam Auman
Paige Beebe
Lauren Bench
Lauren Boyle
Syd Brodt
Carly Bullock
Jordan Chancellor
Charly Dalquist
Anna Erickson
Rebecca Freiburger
Demi Gardner
Mariah Gardner
Janna Haeg
Sena Hanson
Gabbie Hughes
Jordan Jackson
Catherine Johnson
Brianna Jorde
Carly Lund
Haley Mack
Clare Minnerath
Morgan Morris
Andrea Olson
Lydia Passolt
Sofia Poinar
Kiki Radke
Dana Rassmussen
Maddie Rowe
MacKenzie Sederberg
Katarina Seper
Natalie Snodgrass
Taylor Turnquist
Sylvie Wallin
Worst case scenario, these are all kids that played in Elite League and most of which have played Jr Whitecaps....that's not driving by a parking lot...but I catch your drift
The topic is development, there is no development in OS games and Elite League. Prospects is good for exposure, don't confuse that with development. The Jr Whitecaps are a bunch of teams put together for tournaments/exposure, no development there either (by the way, many kids don't even know who is going until the last minute and many receive placement based on $ spent). OS development comes via a $30-$50 per hour ice time for summer clinics. WB has created a great business and congrats to her. To give OS credit for development is minimally misleading. OS is great at associating their name with a D1 commits-did they give them exposure, yes, develop them, no.

The kids listed above belonged to other organizations that developed players thru practice, 3 on 3 and long-term commitments to team play. Not added to the list above is Reebok who developed many of their players: Norby, Schugel, Shaver, Steffen along with others. OS was not part of their development, but was part of their exposure by using the JR WhiteCaps name for tournaments and OS got to claim them as one of theirs. Mutually agreed upon- but did OS provided development, not a chance.

OS has a great name, they have a huge following and they have a monopoly on girls hockey, their strength is exposure, not development. Unfortunately there are not a lot of alternatives, so most people think that OS is the Holy Grail of Hockey because there is not another place for hundreds of girls to belong to, so they join OS/Whitecap and put a sticker on their helmet. Don't sell yourself short, it is pay for play if you are not one of the top kids.
Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother »

u12dad wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:
u12dad wrote:
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Wow, Pepper stepped on the 3rd rail.
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

Inigo, they are just like Trump supporters. Scratch that. Clinton Supporters.
knights14

Post by knights14 »

I love the kool aid drinking parents who spend thousands and thousands of dollars on kool aid camps. Its hilarious to me. Behind the scenes the camp organizers are rolling around in the money and laughing hysterically. Your child could get the same results doing the skills work at home and skating in their local coaches summer camp. Perhaps play in a short summer league or fall league to get the juices flowing and start the season in late October. Too many organizers out there are taking advantage of parents but I guess that's the American way. Are their some good programs out their? YES, but they are few and far between.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY »

knights14 wrote:I love the kool aid drinking parents who spend thousands and thousands of dollars on kool aid camps. Its hilarious to me. Behind the scenes the camp organizers are rolling around in the money and laughing hysterically. Your child could get the same results doing the skills work at home and skating in their local coaches summer camp. Perhaps play in a short summer league or fall league to get the juices flowing and start the season in late October. Too many organizers out there are taking advantage of parents but I guess that's the American way. Are their some good programs out their? YES, but they are few and far between.
I love when people refer to it as "drinking the kool aid" and then preach the good word! How many days sober Knights14?
knights14

Post by knights14 »

Well that's the first time my opinion has been referred as the good word. Preaching is delivering a sermon or religious address to an assembled group of people. Not sure how that fits here. Looks like the spiked Kool-Aid flows through your blood pretty freely NORTHWOODS HOCKEY. :D
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

knights14 wrote:Well that's the first time my opinion has been referred as the good word. Preaching is delivering a sermon or religious address to an assembled group of people. Not sure how that fits here. Looks like the spiked Kool-Aid flows through your blood pretty freely NORTHWOODS HOCKEY. :D
Clearly you missed the sarcasm. But thanks for providing Webster's definition of preaching. Swing and a miss Knights!

I like kool aid.
knights14

Post by knights14 »

Actually my dog told me the definition and I still have 2 strikes left. Come on NORTHWOODS I'm still at the plate. :shock:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

knights14 wrote:Actually my dog told me the definition and I still have 2 strikes left. Come on NORTHWOODS I'm still at the plate. :shock:
You have a talking dog? That's crazy! Are you sure? Another swing and a miss. Want me to throw underhand?
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

I enjoy this forum.
I love hockey in MN.
Everything is black and white.
They are all the very best/they aren't very good.
She is a gift/she is Satan incarnate.
knights14

Post by knights14 »

I figured your hand hurt so bad from patting yourself on the back that you were throwing underhand and the last one you threw was crushed over the 420 centerfield fence. Game over and yes my dog speaks and hears high pitched sounds and he wants me to tell you too grow a pair. :lol: Ok on to some hockey did you get over to the HP 16-17 this past weekend NORTHWOODS and if so what did you think?
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

knights14 wrote:I figured your hand hurt so bad from patting yourself on the back that you were throwing underhand and the last one you threw was crushed over the 420 centerfield fence. Game over and yes my dog speaks and hears high pitched sounds and he wants me to tell you too grow a pair. :lol: Ok on to some hockey did you get over to the HP 16-17 this past weekend NORTHWOODS and if so what did you think?
LOL! The fact that you felt the need to continue is too funny.

Oh well, you win, game over.