Prospects/Futures

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jg2112

Re: Prospects/Futures

Post by jg2112 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:39 am

I am guessing you posted this here because your daughter is taking part?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue May 31, 2016 10:45 am

jg2112 wrote:
Yes, the schedule some great games with kids from all of the teams split up playing with different kids really good hockey.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:09 am

zambonidriver wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Yes, the schedule some great games with kids from all of the teams split up playing with different kids really good hockey.
I hope she and the rest have a great set of weekends doing this program.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue May 31, 2016 11:12 am

Will be fun :D

Iceburg

Post by Iceburg » Tue May 31, 2016 11:30 am

So, how is this event from purely a neutral spectator point of view. Most of the top players attending? Rosters and schedules available?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue May 31, 2016 11:36 am

Schedule,is in the link I provided. All of the top players that are OS players get first crack then they fill up with outside registrations. This is the reason that the Jungels team moved to OS. Every Major d1 school will be there and all of the midwest d3 schools will be there. College coaches are on the benches summer teams are split up and players for the most part have to adapt.
Intensity is really high.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue May 31, 2016 12:24 pm

I saw a handful of games at one of these weekends last summer as I had a kid who played in it and also talked with friends whose kids did this.

The hockey was really good. I think that the quality of play is better than the HP 15 weekend and probably a little lower quality overall the the 16/17 HP 54 weekend. There is a mix of kids that have already committed and most that have not.

It is a very cool thing IMO. I cannot recall who coached my kid in their 3/4 games last year but to be on the bench with a D1 coach that is freely offering insight while coaching kids was great for my kid. Another girl who is friends with my daughter had Gopher assistant Head Coach and U18 National Team coach Joel Johnson on the bench for one of her games. Her excitement while talking to me about her experience afterwards was priceless.

It is a variant of tryout hockey but in my mind it is better as there is not a "team" or camp that these kids will make after this or any of the 3 weekends. I would imagine that this is a BETTER way for D1 coaches to scout kids then watching kids hog the puck trying to make a state or National Camp.

I also know of kids that have had varied contact with college programs that will be in attendance and will let those coaches know what team they will be playing for and may in fact be coached by some of those coaches/programs.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue May 31, 2016 12:26 pm

Iceburg wrote:So, how is this event from purely a neutral spectator point of view. Most of the top players attending? Rosters and schedules available?
Rosters are supposed to be available Friday. Schedule is on the website. I don't recall a fee to watch but would not be surprised if there is some cost but would be shocked if it was anywhere close to the cost to watch the HP stuff.

Knight7

Post by Knight7 » Tue May 31, 2016 3:21 pm

Has never been a fee involved to watch. It is higher tempo than you think. Very good hockey, as the teams are split up differently each weekend. Winny tries to make each team competitive and roll four lines for higher energy shifts.

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Tue May 31, 2016 3:43 pm

For all those that think Os is an overpriced camp and that Os doesn't offer anything that anywhere else doesn't....

I was told about a tournament last weekend held up in Duluth where the kids and parents on one team were told that there would be a bunch of D1 coaches scouting this tournament, and that this would be some of the best hockey these kids would see all summer. The coaches asked some other parents that weren't willing to leave Os, "Why would you waste all your money on Os when you can train with our team and play in this tournament and get the same college exposure as you would at Os?"

The answer....not one college, period, was at the tournament. Yup, you Winny haters can hate all you want....but she does get her kids exposure.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue May 31, 2016 4:35 pm

Those numbers at the bottom are staggering with D1 commitments. (never mind the team USA numbers) Can we assume the 2016 commitments are kids graduating in 2016?

How many kids participate in this? 38 kids went D1 out of how many that participated? That percentage (at least ballpark) would be cool to know.

Knight7

Post by Knight7 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:44 pm

Mavs,

Most of the top 4 teams (Black, red, white grey) have been recruited to get your 38 D1 players. It is the other teams that the Coaches are looking at now. Those are the younger players (8/9/10 and 11th graders) that the coaches are taking a longer look at.

If you look at the commitment pages you will see most of the teams are done with juniors and half way done with sophomores. Yes they have seen them at HP but, it's just another look as players are playing highly competitive games. The more they see them the easier to see the cream rise to the top.

Also the players get to interact with coaches as they see different coaches each game on their benches game to game and weekend to weekend.

zambonidriver

Colleges at prospects/futures

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:26 am

Brown U of M Harvard
UNH Yale Vermont
PSU U Conn Clarkson
Cornell SCSU Merrimack
MSU RIT Northeastern
Wisconsin Quinnipiac Yale
BSU Union Colgate
UND Dartmouth UMD
Princeton Syracuse

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:07 am

Knight7 wrote:Mavs,

Most of the top 4 teams (Black, red, white grey) have been recruited to get your 38 D1 players. It is the other teams that the Coaches are looking at now. Those are the younger players (8/9/10 and 11th graders) that the coaches are taking a longer look at.

If you look at the commitment pages you will see most of the teams are done with juniors and half way done with sophomores. Yes they have seen them at HP but, it's just another look as players are playing highly competitive games. The more they see them the easier to see the cream rise to the top.

Also the players get to interact with coaches as they see different coaches each game on their benches game to game and weekend to weekend.
Thank you

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:20 pm

Yup, you Winny haters can hate all you want....
I don't know that there are many Winny haters. The Winny skeptics, though, might ask questions like Mavs asked, how many Os Prospects girls didn't sign D1 or D3 commits? Or...how many D1 commits didn't participate in the prospects camp (doesn't seem like room for too many)? Or...what is the incentive for participation of girls that have already committed? Or...

Knight7

Post by Knight7 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:21 pm

IM,

Incentive is to play against the best talent available in front of their future coaches eyes. Not like HS were top players routinely walk around players like cones. It will only help them going forward, to be pushed. D1 is a bigger step than most can image. The game is faster, the players are stronger. It also gets faster mentally, the puck needs to come off their sticks sooner and game sense is more important. That is what these weekends offer.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:36 pm

I saw this for the first time last year. First of all I was amazed at how many coaches were there and for the younger girls the format was awesome. A practice run buy a D1 coach then games with D1 coaches on the bench. They have added a small games format to this years futures so that will be interesting to watch. In this format you have to be able to adapt because there is no system coaching and the kids are dispersed through the teams and have to figure things out on their own without being told a whole lot. The true Hockey players show themselves as opposed to system players. The talent is too good to be selfish and you have to move the puck. Chemistry has to be developed quickly. The best part is the next weekend they are playing with totally different people.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:15 pm

zambonidriver wrote:I saw this for the first time last year. First of all I was amazed at how many coaches were there and for the younger girls the format was awesome. A practice run buy a D1 coach then games with D1 coaches on the bench. They have added a small games format to this years futures so that will be interesting to watch. In this format you have to be able to adapt because there is no system coaching and the kids are dispersed through the teams and have to figure things out on their own without being told a whole lot. The true Hockey players show themselves as opposed to system players. The talent is too good to be selfish and you have to move the puck. Chemistry has to be developed quickly. The best part is the next weekend they are playing with totally different people.
:roll:

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:55 pm

zambonidriver wrote:I saw this for the first time last year. First of all I was amazed at how many coaches were there and for the younger girls the format was awesome. A practice run buy a D1 coach then games with D1 coaches on the bench. They have added a small games format to this years futures so that will be interesting to watch. In this format you have to be able to adapt because there is no system coaching and the kids are dispersed through the teams and have to figure things out on their own without being told a whole lot. The true Hockey players show themselves as opposed to system players. The talent is too good to be selfish and you have to move the puck. Chemistry has to be developed quickly. The best part is the next weekend they are playing with totally different people.
ZD, would you believe that we work on systems specifically for small area games? I mean we would hate for the girls to be put in a position where they would be totally exposed. And because of these small area systems they will be totally fine.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:51 pm

The old "lets pressure the crap out of the other team by relentlessly forechecking them" system?

Or is it the "we will outwork you by having 30-45 second full effort shifts instead of your crappy 90 second lazy/skate hard when I feel like it" shifts?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:13 pm

HockeyDude20 wrote:
ZD, would you believe that we work on systems specifically for small area games? I mean we would hate for the girls to be put in a position where they would be totally exposed. And because of these small area systems they will be totally fine.
lol

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:09 pm

Knight7 wrote:IM,

Incentive is to play against the best talent available in front of their future coaches eyes. Not like HS were top players routinely walk around players like cones. It will only help them going forward, to be pushed. D1 is a bigger step than most can image. The game is faster, the players are stronger. It also gets faster mentally, the puck needs to come off their sticks sooner and game sense is more important. That is what these weekends offer.
For $775?

Knight7

Post by Knight7 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:49 pm

yup,$ 775.

I don't see anyone else stepping up to buy ice. For 16 teams playing 5 games each over 3 weekends. Two referees each game, scorekeepers, penalty box personnel.

She also takes the time to set your player in the level of her ability so she can compete at the appropriate level of play.

Or setting up a program that generates such an interest by D1 and D3 coaches that they not only fly in and get hotels but they get to coach the players during games, interact with your daughters and then allows them to scout them when they aren't coaching. Winny used to also buy pizza between the Saturday break between the morning and afternoon games.

Oh yeah then has the coaches run a clinic for parents and players about how recruiting really works and the do's and don'ts of it all, on the first Saturday. Then she makes herself available to coaches that have any questions about your players.

What's that worth to you daughter? Can you make this happen? Oh and if your daughter signs up for summer skating she gives a huge discount on her skating program. Normally over $600+ but only another $125+(guessing, its been a couple of years) for both programs. Her staff is all D1 female players and ex-players.

Sorry for rambling on.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:47 am

Knight7 wrote:yup,$ 775.

I don't see anyone else stepping up to buy ice. For 16 teams playing 5 games each over 3 weekends. Two referees each game, scorekeepers, penalty box personnel.

She also takes the time to set your player in the level of her ability so she can compete at the appropriate level of play.

Or setting up a program that generates such an interest by D1 and D3 coaches that they not only fly in and get hotels but they get to coach the players during games, interact with your daughters and then allows them to scout them when they aren't coaching. Winny used to also buy pizza between the Saturday break between the morning and afternoon games.

Oh yeah then has the coaches run a clinic for parents and players about how recruiting really works and the do's and don'ts of it all, on the first Saturday. Then she makes herself available to coaches that have any questions about your players.

What's that worth to you daughter? Can you make this happen? Oh and if your daughter signs up for summer skating she gives a huge discount on her skating program. Normally over $600+ but only another $125+(guessing, its been a couple of years) for both programs. Her staff is all D1 female players and ex-players.

Sorry for rambling on.
=D>