GOALIE SV%... Here We Go Again. A race for the best.

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ShakestheClown

Post by ShakestheClown » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:39 pm

My belief is that unlike the boys, the girls SOG isn't being fully tracked. I looked through some and there are a few that I came across that would have one SOG and one GA in a particular game, which isn't remotely accurate considering they had played the whole game according to their minutes listed.

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:09 pm

ShakestheClown wrote:My belief is that unlike the boys, the girls SOG isn't being fully tracked. I looked through some and there are a few that I came across that would have one SOG and one GA in a particular game, which isn't remotely accurate considering they had played the whole game according to their minutes listed.
Myself look for anywhere from 7-10 shots a period , and mid 800 playing minutes with around low to mid 400 shot totols for this point in the season.. I figure it’s a solid game at both ends and a starter. Anything in the low to 300 range they haven't been tested to much at this point. Still could be solid, but there is some decent players in front as well. So I look at the leader board for Games Won and work my way up from 10. SSP and Maple Grove, Red Wing, St Cloud type of totals. It looks like solid hardworking numbers that are not to excessive, or to light. Just good games that fall into the average style game if two solid teams show up to play. If I see an average of mid 40 plus shots per game and approaching over 600 shots for the season till this point, I look at it with a leary eye and dig a little deeper to see if there is justification for the numbers. This is just my unscientific approach kind of, wrong or right who knows. There are so many goofy unreliable stats out there, I fugure to look at semi normal games and shot counts and go from there.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:30 am

Well said, I think stats don't show the whole story. As a former goalie myself I can say that any college scout, either D3 or D1 will be able to figure out if a goalie is a fraud or not. Some teams have a really good top 4 D which in the girls game helps immensely. Girls just seem to have a hard time getting off quality shots if they are contested in the slightest bit, of course there are exceptions (Heise etc.) If you have a weak D core it makes it very difficult for a goaltender. Too many quality shots, extra shots that should have been cleared etc. Bottom line is colleges have scouts for a reason. They can tell by how the goalie moves and tracks the puck over several games weather or not it will translate into college success. To touch on the above top 4 D theory, it's seems that the 5-6 D pairing usually does the goalie in as far as stats go. Some teams have orange cones with a helmet and skates on.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:09 pm

so to bring the argument to the right page. I did some ciphering on the two goalies that always seem to move to the top of the discussion.
I think we can agree they both play on teams where they are difference makers.
I looked up over the last two years as the Flake goalie is a year younger.
first WBL
Wins; 30
Losses: 13
ties: 2
Minutes:2290.30
Shutouts 12
SOG; 1233
SVS: 1168
SV%: 947
GA; 65
GAA: 1.44

Flake
Wins; 29
Losses; 9
Ties; 3
Minutes 2146.51
SOG; 988
SVS: 932
SV%:943
GA; 56
GAA; 1.33
If my math is right those are Elite numbers over two years.
Playing with teams that are still developing.
I believe FLake has only two seniors that play large roles
and WBL has 4.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:52 pm

Mnnstar wrote:so to bring the argument to the right page. I did some ciphering on the two goalies that always seem to move to the top of the discussion.
I think we can agree they both play on teams where they are difference makers.
I looked up over the last two years as the Flake goalie is a year younger.
first WBL
Wins; 30
Losses: 13
ties: 2
Minutes:2290.30
Shutouts 12
SOG; 1233
SVS: 1168
SV%: 947
GA; 65
GAA: 1.44

Flake
Wins; 29
Losses; 9
Ties; 3
Minutes 2146.51
SOG; 988
SVS: 932
SV%:943
GA; 56
GAA; 1.33
If my math is right those are Elite numbers over two years.
Playing with teams that are still developing.
I believe FLake has only two seniors that play large roles
and WBL has 4.
Looks pretty even to me. Nice numbers from both goalies! I don't think there is much debate that both are at the top of their classes, or very close.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Yep Numbers look good to me and should to anyone else also. However, if you think most girls high school goalie stats are skewed you would have to watch the goalies yourself in person to see if they are ELITE or not. I have and probably no less than 20 times each and IMHO They are both ELITE. I also know that I have not seen goalies from Foils favorite conference very much therefore I don't arbitrarily throw out that they are almost good, maybe someday and think that's not a rub on anyone. I certainly would't look at anyone on that first page of the Goalie stat leader list and think Geez there must be a way I can tell someone those goalies aren't as good as the stats make them look. Maybe I just like to crinkle up foil?

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:38 am

Congrats to your daughter Foil.

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:16 pm

highgloveside wrote:Yep Numbers look good to me and should to anyone else also. However, if you think most girls high school goalie stats are skewed you would have to watch the goalies yourself in person to see if they are ELITE or not. I have and probably no less than 20 times each and IMHO They are both ELITE. I also know that I have not seen goalies from Foils favorite conference very much therefore I don't arbitrarily throw out that they are almost good, maybe someday and think that's not a rub on anyone. I certainly would't look at anyone on that first page of the Goalie stat leader list and think Geez there must be a way I can tell someone those goalies aren't as good as the stats make them look. Maybe I just like to crinkle up foil?
First of all no one ever said any of these athletes were "almost" good. The words used were "very good" and "very solid goalies". Ill take your perception as is, they are Elite. Now lets move on (passive aggressive is one of my better suits) Lets enjoy some playoff hockey. WB has some work ahead of them to get by Hill, and Flake has a battle against Andover. Should be some great games.

itsfoilcoach

Post by itsfoilcoach » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:28 pm

MN_Bowhunter wrote:Congrats to your daughter Foil.
Thank you Bowhunter. I've had four play in the system. Its been a great ride. Looking forward to some great playoff hockey.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:30 am

Ava Thewes (Pursuit of Excellence Hockey Academy) commits to University of New Hampshire for 2019-2020 @avakennedy35 @POE_girls @UNHWHOCKEY
0 replies 6 retweets 14 likes